Sketchbook: max1975 finally drew that comic book he's been threatening for years - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: max1975 finally drew that comic book he's been threatening for years

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey max, figures are looking good, keep going. I don't know if you've seen this link, its really informative. Go down to Flynt's comment and drawing:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

I think its great the way he drafts, the way he marks the shadows and suchs.

Anyway I hope it helps for something.
    Been a long time since I last checked, gotta update my sketchbook as well.
    Hope to be seeing you more.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like I've missed a few naked Fridays! Ha! Lovin' the updates, man. The only suggestions I really have are to branch out and try other things. You keep doing figures, figures, figures. Are you getting any sort of instruction? Teaching? Going to school? I think if you took some classes it would be helpful for ya. I mean, having a good teacher sort of help you visualize things right before you is a must in order to improve. Sometimes all it took was my teacher stepping in and smudging and area or drawing a couple lines to make something click for me. I know you can take your work a lot further, I know you see that too. But it's difficult to overcome these obstacles just by typing responses. Things still just seem stiff and too pasty, not enough contrast. I just wish I could fluid these up, it's hard to do, I have the same problem. It's just like I wanna grab a drawing and shake the bugs out, y'know? You've got some great stuff going on tho. Just keep at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I owe y'all many comments. My apologies, time has been tight lately. Will get there as soon as I can.

Zebz: No school or teacher at the moment, although I like the instructor who runs our model sessions and might take one of her actual classes at some point. I'll try to get some more non-figure work in here, but at the moment drawing time is at a premium, and as long as that's the case (probably a few more weeks) it's gonna be mostly figures so I don't get rusty. Though I do hope to do a few dozen faces over the weekend.

Qxzi: Thanks man. Yeah, I like the lines (and lack thereof) on that one too. Had some good advice on that score from Armando not too long ago. Gonna try to integrate that kinda thing into my work more frequently (though sometimes I just forget).

TGping: Naked Fridays are the best Fridays Though sadly because of traveling and Easter there won't be any for a couple weeks.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Good to see you, and thanks for the link

Going to Florida for tge next few days, no time to scan stuff before then.

To avoid violating my no-posts-without-art rule, here are a couple of my first acrylic paintings, from about two years ago. Gonna start with the painting again really soon now, should be interesting to see how much I've improved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you'll kick ass now that you are armed with anatomy. Can't wait to see what you come up with

I think i like the nude bottom right in 033106-2.jpg maybe because i'm a fanboy of varying line weight or something. Good work on the other too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

i bet that your paintings now would be 10 times as better as the ones you did two years ago But lets just wait and see But i think you would have improved quite a bit. cant wait to see them!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Qxzi, Inkfish: Thanks!

Big dump.
    First some leftovers from last week:

Spent the last few days with my GF's family in Florida. More room and time to draw than last time I travelled. I didn't quite do the dozens of heads I'd planned, but I did do a bunch. This first batch is all from photos:

These are all from photos except the ones in the upper right and lower left corners:

All the rest are without reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

good update man, im seeing improvement with the heads, and your not drawing the outlines as hard as before. Keep that up. Good heads though, but some i get stuck on. Like this one, if you compare the head in this picture, its quite a good drawing, and i like it. And the eyes arent so high up. http://elseworld.com/max/sketchbook/040506.jpg But if you look at the dude on the left his eyes seem to be a inch or 2 high up. http://elseworld.com/max/sketchbook/040906-2.jpg . Do you get what im saying though? my favourite has to be his one, so real! Great shading as well! http://elseworld.com/max/sketchbook/041006.jpg . And also you drew her without ref! Great, do more like that, loving her alot

Well i hope you understand me and just keep this up!

Qxzi 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah... you're showing more and more confidence in your anatomystudies.. You faces suffer some skewed eyes and cheekbones though.. maybe a couple of constructionlines like those you use when doing your bodies?

I agree a bit with TFK as well... it would be cool to see some application of your knowledge..

Keep it up!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dCepT, TFK: I will try to get some other stuff going, but right now I think I'm making a lot of progress with the heads, though they're still not quite where I want them to be. Today's post being a case in point.

Qxzi: I think I see what you mean.

WIP and head study, eyes seeming to slide outward from where I mean to place them, and somehow stuff always looks skewed when I scan it even though it doesn't seem to on paper...some trick of perspective, perhaps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I guess I'm in your sketchgroup now, sweet! I'll fix my signature soon.

Nice figures, every once in a while though the legs will be too small or the eyes too large. Like you're drawing the parts well but they don't always connect. Maybe if you marked down a few of the important proportions before doing all the penciling it will help.

FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice updates, rendering of faces are coming great! On your last update, it seems to me that the drapery that falls over her leg needs some more work, I mean, showing the folds on the area of the ankle and feet, what do you think?

Keep it up!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there Max. Been sick for like a couple of weeks so no visits from me here.
    That finished more or less is looking really great. Definately your best work so far. My advice for you is to start studying more carefully on the forms of the skull. For ex. you sometimes draw the forehead too flat not showing the roundness that the superciliary crest creates. Your rendering has definately improved a lot. Good to see you improving.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Must make many sketchbook rounds, hopefully this evening. Naked Friday tomorrow, yay!

Staylor: Welcome! I frequently draw shrunken legs, not sure why, but I'll work on it. Like on this last one, they sorta just disappear under her clothes.

Mentler: Thanks! But are they haunting enough?

Placeboast: Argh! You're using words I don't know! Now I have to look in a book or something. Superciliary crest? What the hell is that? (Okay, so I think I know what you're talking about actually.) Hope you're feeling better now.

jtheanswer: Drapery can be difficult to invent, I think I dropped the ball in this case, fell back into some bad old habits. Shoulda done some cloth studies before the drawing, I guess. I'll see if I can improve it.

WIP: Me and my fictional hip-hop band. I'm the white guy. For my sketchgroup compadres, this will have to serve as my SP until I have some time with a mirror. It's without reference, but a pretty decent likeness, except that I'm currently rounder in the gut area and my hemp and seashell necklace is broken

EDIT: Finally started that painting I've been threatening. Good, no?

Last edited by max1975; April 20th, 2006 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to use one of these as a basis for the painting, which I hope to start working on Saturday. Votes?

unless tomorrow's naked Friday provides something better...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm having some trouble accesing the new group page, but I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Good progress with heads and bodies, nice expressions. Really like the last angel girl. The only crit is that her hands seem a bit small.

There are still some anatomy problems mostly due to proportions, but there is also a lot of improvement. I especially like figure 2 of the last images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡‡ Photo Ref ‡‡‡‡‡‡

Photo ref. has a great of distortion in foreshortening <> just be aware and correct it <> legs and feet on a couple of these seem telephoto flattened.

Always try to pick photos with simple lighting i.e. one light source and the same reflected light.

3/4 side or above is best <> the camera can get by with 4 or 5 light sources but the artist can't.

Always best to work from life <> if you work from photos at all try to take your own so you can control lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good updates! Sorry for not dropping by for such a long time... Looks like your having fun with photoshop... try to build confidence in your own colorchoices as well as playing with the layer attributes..
    Your lifedrawings kick ass!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the latest stuff, i think mentlers right you have to simplify the light sources when using photo ref at times
    i prefer no,1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to vote for the boobie corrected one (2). I tend to use those fancy words cause I am highly intelligent. It does not show in my drawings nor in my actual real life but it shows here. Of course it helps that I checked the word from my anatomy manual for my intelligence is high but my memory is so damn short.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One word... CONTRAST! C'mon, man! Bring the contrast pain to us! It's the heart of illustration. Like on those last drawings, those cast shadows and core shadows should be much darker. Up the contrast! Push and pull at those values and stop smudging... use some hatches and directional hatches at that. Don't be afraid to muddy up the whole image and chisel away at it with an eraser. I'm definately seeing a bit of improvment but you've gotta push more to get these out of the "flat" arena. Think more about understructure and simplfy those shapes a bit more. It's just just about 2D shapes and contours... draw through the figure and bring out the cylinders, spheres, all that good crap. Keep at it, Max!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheeeee! Naked Friday! I really like this batch.

My personal favorite is #5, I think it's got a real nice composition and clothe will make it more interesting than just skin, but that's me. It seems everyone voted on different things though!

staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'd have to go with number 1 or 3. #1 looks really interesting curves. #3 has good expression on her face. watch out for the height of his forehead and the hand might look more natural in a more relaxed pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I vote for number two as I like how she is staring into the open,
    how her torso is twisted, and her legs are crossed.
    Quick critic in some of your drawings you make your heads to big,
    and some times your lips look like cuted and pasted, rember that
    the lips are around a cilinder in perspective.
    other than that keep it going, and take my advise with lots of salt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've had a lot of improvement since you started. What ever happened to the stuff from your head? Or is it that I just can't tell the difference. Either way, good work. Those studies look very nice; you have wonderful rendering ability. Glad I stopped by.

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helllloooooo???? Hope you're doin' well, man. Haven't stopped in a long while... been busy. I see you are too! Heh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello? hello? Is this thing on??

Hi. Sorry for the eons between updates, and the lack of giving people helpful comments. Been very busy writing, musicking, painting...still drawing a lot but I just haven't had time to be active here.

I'm working on a Transformer thing...will say more about that when I'm a little further into the project.

Anyway...here's some of my favorite work from the past few months...been working with color some more, finally started painting in class a couple weeks ago...

First some random imagination stuff:

Naked Fridays, newest to oldest. Actually the first one is the oldest, but I finally learned how to transfer a line drawing onto canvas so I can paint it. I like the results, except I messed up her face, she's way cuter than that. The other paintings were all done in class.

I will try to hit everyone's sketchbook soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Between you and Zebzfree returning it's like our sketchbook has risen from the grave!

Mwahahaha! It LIVES!

The paintings are nice, makes me want to do some. And Naked Fridays are great as usual!

One thing you may want to try is to avoid doing hard outlines and shading in the same picture, sometimes they get confusing when there's both.

TURBOFANATIC

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.