Sketchbook: Inkfish's sketchbook (4.1.08, comics stuff) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Inkfish's sketchbook (4.1.08, comics stuff)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your shading is awesome, and I really really like the wierd creatures. Their faces are definitely unique (and some were downright creepy!).

This is a minor crit, but it bugged me a few times. It seems like when you do three-quarter views the far eye isn't always lined up with the closer eye. It seems a little skewed at times. Probably nothing a little attention won't fix.

And to answer your question I usually draw whenever I can, that is maybe two hours a day on most days (when I've got time I draw more). I guess that my goals are to learn how to make good illustrations and potentially do some sequential art.

FASTIDIOUS SKETCHFIENDS of the FANTASTIC FOURTEENTH ESCHELON
    staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Placeboast Thanks man. The still life you mentioned is my favorite my sill life stuff aswell. Thanks for the kind words and stopping by

Styler Thanks for the compliments.The crit you gave is spot on. I don't know what it is, but i usually just zone out or something when i'm doing the eyes, i should pay more attention to them

About me i draw usually 2~ hours a day or more. Recently i have done more digital than traditional (I'll try to fix that today) As for my goals i want to better my self as an artist (if possible make few bucks out of it aswell)

I reworked the dsg a bit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... the rework on that last one takes it up a few nothces. Your sketches are good and i love 'em and it seems that you have a really solid working with the digital painting.

Can't wait to see more.

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

SSG#14: We'll think of a better name someday!
    staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pogy366 Thanks man, i'll try to update as soon as i have somthing to post

here are some sb pages from today and a skintone doodle i did without ref.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink - i like the second one the most. Must be the angst. They're a damn sight better than my own non-ref sketches.

About how much time do you spend on each sketch? Just wondering.

(If my sketchbook went to school, it would get its ass kicked everyday at the bike racks.)

staylor | inkfish | pogy366 | jlward | godrifle | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pogy366 thanks man, i like the way #2 turned out too, i played around with it in ps some. I spend about 20-45 mins on each sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... what brushes/settings did you use? (looks pretty flippin' sweet now)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pogy

I usually use custom brushes. I start with softer brushes and work my way "up" to the harder ones (i guess). I usually have my brushes set quite low opacity 70% and lower down to 20%, when i add color to the backgroundcolor. My process is still quite chaotic, so i can't share more light to it, but if you have more questions i'll answer them gladly.
    Oh and thanks for the compliment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice birds and inkwork.
    Like the face at the bottom here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../inkfish91.jpg though the far side seems kinda messed up, that can be a tricky place...unless you intended for it to be a mutant,

Emo as fuck is nicely done...creepy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! The eyes are lined up now! Much better

I'm really liking some of these new sketches. I can't really pick out any critiques on them at the moment. Some things are off, but there's nothing consistently wrong and they're only sketches, which are supposed to be "sketchy." Emo as fuck is really good too.

I hope to see more with that landscape watercolor, a nice big environment from you would be cool.

staylor| inkfish | rodrigo! | ah.heng | maxetormer | bRØk3n_sPiRiT | Max1975 | ZebzFree

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    staylor Hi there!. Thanks for the comments. As for the anatomical issues i'm sure there are plenty, i didn't really put that much effort into theese (bad excuse i know ) The enviro stuff is something i'd really want to learn to do. Guess i'd better start doing some studies first.

Max1975 Hey man! Thanks for the compliments. The messed up dude isn't a mutant, just a testament to my lazy measuring. It was also done with ballpoint pen, so i couldn't erase my mistakes

I bashed the undead dude some more, maybe it's complete now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink - undead dude is kicken'. Great job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, "emo as fuck"!
    good stuff in here! no crits from me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Undead guy looks horrifically great... I need to know how to color and detail like that myself. It's irking me that I can't see the whole picture because of how dark it is in the lower areas though. Very nice use of colors.

I'd say that the right arm, from the shoulder is spaced too far... As if the right side of the body is wider than the left side.. Then again that might just be me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zombie knight looks pretty good to me. Maybe there should be some more highlights on the head to match the metal? I dunno, your choice.

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey inkfish, the cape is bothering me a little. I think it should be wrapped around the neck a little more. This will allow you to further define the shape of the neck and it looks more natural.

The intense highlights make the cape look like it's made of plastic. Are you using dodge and burn? If so, you're better off choosing the right color and painting it in yourself. Light tends to be more diffuse when it hits clothing. You have a nice range of colors developed in your existing painting. It's just that, in my opinion, they would look better if they were a little softer. I hope you don't mind, but I've done a quick paintover to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That undead dude is looking awesome except maybe for that cape thing "jlward" noticed. I'm quite fond of the colors you use in overall. Kinda brings to mind the colors from resident evil lab scenes. I liked the horns on the earlier version so a big minus from erasing them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey inkfish, glad to be part of this group.

really cool sketches here i think!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...inkfish13a.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../inkfish38.jpg

i really liked these ones from the first page..
    the creature designs are also really cool id like to see more of those. youre doing well with the photoshop stuff. i dont know much about colour so im not in much of a position to crit, the latest one has a cool renaissance feel to it!
    with shading, especially with bodies and faces, try to divide the mass into planes and then just shade the one thats furthest from the light source,....if you can find the plane break then thats when the dark shadow will begin. if you smudge the whole body you are adding tonalities, but im not sure if it fully gives it a 3D, mass feel...
    its not really a specific thing, but just something to keep in mind.
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rodrigo! Hey man! i'm glad you joined our group. It's really good to have experienced artists like you with us. Thanks for your crit concerning the planes and mass, it's something i'm really strugling with now. Your comments helped me to the right track

Placeboast Hey man, thanks for stopping by! The undead dude is coming along, but there is still tons to do. The horns were left off, because i suck at rendering them

jlward Hi! I don't mind the least that you did the overpaint, infact i'm very grateful for it! The comments you made were spot on. As for the dodge-burn thing i don't usually use it, but since drapery isn't one of my fortes, i used it in the cape portion. Thanks again for the paintover, it really helped me to see where to improve my painting.

staylor Thanks, still playing around with it, let's see where it'll go.

godrifle Thanks man you'll learn to do stuff like this (and better) i no time. Just keep cracking at those sketches

Flaskpost Thanks man, glad you liked

pogy366 Thank you

-

Here is a random überspeedpaint bout 20 mins,some ref used in PS. Somehow i get the feeling that all my characters get a little demented feel to them lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portrait.
    Her right eye is a bit off though.
    Its not finished i guess, but adding some contrast on the shading would make it even better.
    Keep posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink - but IMO demented is a good thing!

Nice speedpaint. The thing that stands out is the placement of the left eye and it's spacing with the right. i'm sure you know this and considering that it's a speedpaint, maybe i'm a wanker for mentioning it. Are you going to continue working on it? Would like to see it with more detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recursive_End' Thanks for commenting, you are right about the eye (i always fuck them up if i don't pay enough attention ) i'll prob. leave this one alone, since it is kinda boring...

pogy366 Thanks for commenting, and no you're not a wanker for mentioned on the contrary i'm happy to recieve valid crits they help to grow as an artist

Here are some speedys from today, the tank took a little bit less time than the second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool charachters .Just one advice turn your little attention on the anatomy of the face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink - that candy-cane-borg-headed kid is cool. i like how you mixed the subject. Maybe if you played with the levels a bit, it would make him pop out more from the background. Good stuff.

What made you pick a WWI tank? Just wondering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pogy366 Thanks man. I'll try to tweak the little guy later, but now i have to sleep (i have work tomorrow, and i should be there in less than 8 hours ) Don't know why i picked the tank, just stumbled to a cool ref picture, and decided to take a smash at it

Ganbat-Bad Hey man thanks for stopping by. You are rigt about the face, i should pay more attention.
    -
    Blood Angel, ref used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...sh/speedy2.jpg this is an excellent inllustration of why skills matter in imaginitive work...I don't know what that is in place of a head, never seen anything like it, but now I know what it would look like if I rotated it 90 degrees in any direction, how it would reflect the light, and I can even take a guess what it would feeel like if I touched it. Great job.

Blood angel's cool too, though he seems to be tipping over...might be okay if you just flattened the bottom of his right foot...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the latest mech armour dude is really cool! altho i think he needs some more texture
    i really like the tank and the big headed dude before that too
    the speedpaint before that is pretty damn good for just 20 mins, and even tho its a speedie i think you should watch proportions- eyes look a bit far apart to me.

keep up the hard work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That little child creature with the candy cane is really creepy. Really really creepy.

I wonder, maybe experimenting with specular highlights might help pop out your pictures. You've got some really good gradients, but some areas of bright reflection in shiny areas could improve it.

TURBOFANATIC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for the mech dude, i think the shape of the feet armor could be refined a little, it doesn't feel like it can support it's weight at this moment. and he seems to be almost tipping over.

that alien kid is kinda cool though. i like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes look uneven, perhaps more contrast in the armor to give it a more metallic sheen? Good stuff though.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.