!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast ! - Page 5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok.. im subcribing to this thread!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, this thread is really great!
    Thanks Idiot Apathy for putting this up!

I haven't read through all the thread yet, or done all the excersizes. Only the first one, hope to do the others soon.

Here's my project 1 attempt
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !

Turned out really desaturated... basically I just used a mid tone red for a base, and then a yellow for lights and magenta for shadows, and painted the light and shadows with a hardbrush on 10% opacity and then at 3 o 4% a little, trying to blend everything together. The result is much less saturated than the base color... actually I'm not really discomforted by the desaturation but the color identity doesn't read as "red" either. Please tell me if you think I'm doing this the wrong way.

Here is just a little experiment I did. Negrotuerto was explaining to me that you can have a greyscale layer set to normal and another layer on top of that set to "color".
    Now, I think this is usefull for checking your tones, because when adding the colors, you don't alter the tones so you can see if something needs to go brighter or darker (please take this with a grain of salt, its just my own conclusions). Also its necessary to vary the hues while painting in color mode just as you would vary them in normal mode.

By painting on both values and colors separately, you can be more aware of the mistakes you make in values because they will show in the colors since the tones don't vary.

I notice I need brighter tones in the light areas because the yellows are looking really dull. Working on the value layer now, and then the colors one.

And here is the corrected version algon with the grayscale version. I really don't like the results too much but at least I could get a little brighter tones in there. I think the midtones and the shadows are wrong, they could be darker.

Here is using only a red hue, the values change, but the hue doesn't. Looks boring.

I don't think this last experiment is an excersize, just an experiment you can do to check the values. Of course my examples are not the most appropiate ones, I need hell of a lot of studying and practice, but I hope at least I could show what I was meaning

Cheers guys, I'll be doing the other projects as soon as I can.
    C ya.

Last edited by brokk; December 15th, 2005 at 06:01 PM. Reason: had to fix some stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I am constantly humbled by some of the great artists I've seen and admired here at ConceptArt.org as well as the determined aspiring artists that are joining the thread everyday. Blows my mind, I just wondering how long it will take you guys to realize how much of a noob hack I am and take over the thread . I give it a week or two...

It's been really great to learn from this thread; I've had to learn, re-learn and research a lot to set some of these exercises up. You guys have been so inspirational and have kept me from getting lazy. I'm learning a lot from you guys and from trying to help you guys. It's been a great pleasure and well worth all the long hours I've put into this. Damn, really sounds like I'm leaving; HA! Not a chance, your stuck with me.

But seriously, can anyone think of anything they might like to contribute? The thread isn't just meant to be about color, it can be anything you feel you can explain properly. You don't even have to set up an exercise, you can just do a demo or set up some notes or something. You can talk to me, via PM or email (in user profile) and I can help set up an exercise or just help otherwise, let me know!

- - - - - - - - -
    Btw if anyone is curious I write these responses as I read your posts; hence they are a little disjointed at times, bear with me.

@Oblio: Dude, your nuts! Your way too hard on yourself. I think your blocks look great as well as realistic! Good on you for trying a hard lightsource direction like that too, made for some interesting cast shadows. I think the question you might want to ask yourself is why you are hue-shifting. (*Not sure if this is scientific fact here, just kind of how I do it*) A hue shift happens when you are mixing two different colors, further away they are the more drastic the hue shift. However with complementary colors you won't get a hue shift, they will combine to gray. Now, whenever you mix any different colors you will always loose intensity because intensity is the pureness of just one hue. If the original hue is closer to the hue you are mixing with you will loose less intensity (or perhaps even gain some?) as well as a proportionate hue shift, and a value change as well (with light when you add light to light you will always get a brighter color). So for example, a bright yellow object in white light with a surrounding blue ambient light: The shadow would most likely only fade in intensity and not hue change (the exact color is determined by how much of the yellow is mixed with blue.) A bright red object in the same enviroment would have a magenta-ish hue but would likely be less intense. (Sometimes I try and figure out what value an objects shadow side would be without changeing hues and then figure out the intensity and hue shift from there.) If your sick of the shadows you might try a lightsource that only hits one side directly (like my lazyness...). Care to go into a little more detail about what [Dan] told you about the corners? Sounds interesting. Hope this makes some sense here, let me know (anyone!) if I can clarify anything. Anyways dude, quit being so damn hard on yourself (unless of course that's how you spur yourself on to learn, I do that too...), looking forward to your next post!

@redehlert: Hey! Cool of Romance to point you in our direction, I was wonder what that bum was up to. Cool to see you in here, I've really enjoyed your sketchbook and ~OTW entries. Looking forward to seeing what you produce in here and maybe seeing what you could teach us .

@Romance: Maybe your lurking or whatever, man your ~OTW entries are awesome, why didn't you tell me you were that good ? Understandable that you haven't had time inbetween those to get back in here, always a seat saved for you of course.

@Vigostar: Uwaa! My sketchbook envy is getting too overloaded here, going to focus more on drawing next semester, we'll see how that goes. Can't wait to see what you do here either! peace.

@bRØk3n_sPiRiT: Another name I recognize; damn the sketchbook envy is through the roof now... Damn! You did a lot of these! I noticed the swatches on the side of your spheres; how do you use these and when do you choose them? I don't use swatches, don't really understand them actually. Usually I pick a base color that I feel is right (usually the midtone and local color) and then pick highlights and shadows straight from the color wheel based on the lighting etc. I'll then use the eyedropper when I need a mix, usually with a softer edged brush. You might find it easier to keep things saturated if you work a little more spontaneously, I dunno. As for color identity I believe it's most important to establish this with a strong midtone; not necessarily intense but defined. Check out the link for Prometheus|ANJ's tut on the front page. I've never been able to get a color layer to work exactly how I wanted, but there is a lot of things I can't do . If this method interests you, you might want to look up grisaille on the web. I think your right though, it's an interesting way of check if your colors work right. I think the purple you added on those spheres is a little off though, it looks nice but breaks up the form too much, you might try changing the saturation and value on it a bit more to fit the sphere. I think your crazy for using such a low opacity! How's the carpal tunnel coming along ? You might enjoy working with a softer edged brush at a high opacity to start with and then finish up with the same brush at a lower opacity. Hard edged brushes blend somewhat optically with empty spots in the brush (as well as opacity) think almost like crosshatching. Anyways dude, kudos to you; the point of the project was to get people thinking about colors in values and how light/absence of light effects them. You certainly did your fair share of thinking here! Anyways, glad to have you in here, lets see what you come up with next .
    - - - - - - - - - -

Going to post a new project next, don't panic! Your not getting behind or anything, remember these projects are always open and always optional. I'm trying to get some more projects in here while I can, a squirrel stocking up on nuts for the winter if you will. Actually I'm going to go eat, new project after that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Project #6: Color Matching

People having grief with exercise #1 gave me the idea for this one; that exercise was about getting people in the mindset to think about color more in depth, with values and intensity rather than simply picking what looks good. This exercise will be more about matching colors, to test and refine how you see color. This has a much more practical application to it I think.

- - - - - - - - - -
    The Guidelines:
    A: Do the project and create a dialogue of what you did and why. (Try and think about this while you do the project, this is important; we will be better able to learn from each other as well as catch each other's mistakes.)
    B: The Dialogue will be analyzed by your peers; (Right or wrong, the idea is to have a reason why and explain it. I think this will be key )
    C: And of course at the same time peer critiques will be offered. (Pretty simple no?)
    D: You shouldn't have to spend a large amount of time on this however spend as much time as you need, give it your best.
    E. All Projects/Exercises are of course optional, have no order, and are always open to participation. Start wherever and whenever you want!
    F. People who are too embarassed to post their results will be shot on sight, you're here to learn not to show off.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I strongly recommend you read the discussions and analyses within others posts that are between exercises. I see a lot of the same advice being repeated. Read through this for your sake; I mean don't you want to learn faster?

This being said, sometimes advice or critiques will be given that may be incorrect, or misconceptions; I most likely am not innocent of this either. If you spot mistakes be sure and correct them! Don't confuse these with opinions however, which are never wrong only different.

Edit: If you haven't started this yet I might do Project#7 First, might help you out on this one.

Step One: Choose a photo. Below are some good links to public domain photo sites as well as some pictures I thought might work well for this. Feel free to use your own photo's or if your a super stud set up your own still life next to your monitor. The object/objects you choose to do should be sphere-like or at least rounded. This way there will be many different lightsource influences on the object. Feel free to use something other than a sphere if you feel it works better. When selecting your object remember you don't have to do everything in the picture, just the sphere/etc. Ignore everything else including intricate details on the sphere if you'd like. Edit: The point of this exercise is not a perfect dupilicate of a photograph; the point is begin to see color properly so you can better learn about color from your surroundings.

Step Two: Set yourself up however you feel is best to copy from another image, trace if you don't feel confident enough or want to speed up the process however remember you won't get any better or quicker if you rely on crutches your whole life . I recommend some quick proportional gridwork on both your source and canvas.

Step Three: Simplify the shapes you see and focus mainly on the color; you might be surprised to see how well something reads with proper color and value even though you've left out the details. Pick the color you see DO NOT use the color picker, again you'll never learn if you use a crutch. No matter how experienced you are do not use the color picker on this; I do however recommend you use it on some other artists work to see what they are thinking, and to teach yourself about some other things. Do however check and see how close you are once you have finished. EDIT: If you are having a hard time finding the proper color you can try picking your color first then painting it next to the reference, maybe on a seperate layer to see how close you are; however you must still pick the color with your eye as well as adjust it by eye. NO CHEATING! Just try not to abuse this too much, it's still a crutch, no more like training wheels... (But don't feel bad! I'm using this method...)

Presentation: Try and keep your image size below 800x600 so everyone can see it, feel free to work as big as your computer will comfortably allow but do resize it when finished, odds are it will look better when it is shrunk down anyways. Link or have a thumbnail to your reference as well please, do not hotlink either, that's just plain mean.

*NOTE* Photo's are not a very accurate representation of how our eyes see color or even value. Do not take what you see from photo's and think that this is exactly how it would work or look. Once again this is just an exercise to get you going and thinking.

Public Domain Photo Links:
    http://www.imageafter.com/
    http://www.morguefile.com/
    http://www.sxc.hu/

Some Images: (Click for Link to High Res!)
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !
    *Note*One or more of these requires a login to view the high-res; I recommend going to bugmenot.com if you don't want to sign up.

- - - - - - - - - -
    Any comments, suggestions, corrections etc. greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; January 7th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    bloody fantastic.. cheers mate.. now which one to pick.. hmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to post yesterday, but work was crazy. With all these people joining its going to get hard to keep track of all the neat stuff going on!

Oblio:
    Your blocks look good! I think there are a few little problems though. First the light reflected from the red block is too crisp. The surface of the block would act like a regular light source, so the light would reflect in all directions, and fall off in a in a radius around the reflecting face. So the edge of the red lit areas would be fuzzy. Also on the red block you've made the shadows more grey. I think they should just be a darker value of the same hue. The block is reflecting red light, grey is all colors equally, so the block would absorb all the other colors and just bounce red toward us.

The second block attempt is better, the hue shift in the shadow is appropriate (though purple+red should = fuscia?). The black block looks better too. The only odd bit is that the red block seems to be glowing a little? Like it is lit from inside? I think it's because the corners are dark on the lit side and lit on the dark side but...

Idiot Apathy:
    Great job on the second sphere iteration, makes me want to do it again too. Your second go at the blocks is just outstanding, I think that scene is almost perfectly lit! You're right about the scary talent creeping in here, but your part of it . I think I'm going to skip ahead to the latest project next, it seems to be more in my problem area currently.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT:
    Seems you have some really bad jpeg artifacts in you images, are your compression settings too high? I agree that your first color sphere is very desaturated, maybe it's your yellow highlight and purple shadow fighting eachother? If you put some more of the base color seperating the light and shadow you can probably increase your apparent saturation, and make your color identity stronger...

Okay, I've decided you guys were right about the darkness/contrast on my pipes. I think my lcd screen contributes to the problem a little, but I just need to correct my curves on a different monitor to get things right. I tried slapping one of them on a black bg to see if that fit the lighting better...
    I promise new stuff on Monday.

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy, thank you very much for the warm welcome! You are too flattering : )
    The swatches aren't much of a mistery, I just have them next to the image sometimes, sometimes not, so I can color pick from there instead of opening the color window. Lol maybe I'm using them wrong : P
    I'm reading Prom's tutorial... its a lot to take in its great. I'll be investigating more on grisaille too. You're right on the purple, I'll re-do this excersize latter this week and see if I put these things into practice Thanks!
    I'm a little reluctant to try the soft brushes... but I will. Its just that I don't know why my images end up looking blurry/soft, and I use hardbrushes. I don't know how to correct this
    Again, cheers, this activity is great.

Kitsu, oh man, you're totally right on the jpg compresion things showing up, I really don't know why that is happening or how I can correct it! I save at quality 8 in photoshop with baseline "standard". Should this be different? Also, the new image I'm posting in this post I saved with "save for web", in hopes that it would change. Its weird because on older images I have, these compression problems don't show up, but they do in the new ones, and I've always used the same setting for saving. I don't know whats going on
    Cool, I try adding more base color, and I'll post the results later in the week. Thanks.

Ack, so here's my attempt at project 2

Basically I had the template on its own layer set to multiply. On a layer underneath I painted the values in grayscale. On a layer on top of the values, I set the mode to "color" and painted the base colors. Then on a layer on top of that, I set the mode to "soft light" and painted with a white-yellow the lights, and the shadows a dark desaturated blue. I forgot to mention I did about everything at 30-50% opacity more or less. Then on top of the template (lines) layer I painted in normal mode at 100% opacity to cover up the black lines. Made a final layer on top of that one, set the mode to "soft light" and painted the base colors of the blocks onto the surfaces of the other blocks at about... 30-50% again, to try and incorporate the radiosity.
    Dunno if all of this worked... I know its sort of an easy way out from directly painting the colors, but I feel I can think better about each step this way. Kind of like training wheels I guess. But if you guys think I should do something differently, please tell me.

Kitsu, it looks good, but it looks a little rough. Some parts could be blended a little more. Also some edges are a bit "jaggy". Values look nice to me, I kinda wish the figure wouldn't get so much lost in the shadows though.

Ok, back to work. Thanks again guys.

EDIT: Ok, here I tried correcting the things of the first project.

The desaturated one
    I created a new layer set to "color", painted the base color at 50%. New layer on top of that set to "soft light", added the same yellow and desaturated dark blue colors I originally had for lights/shadows, used alt to color pick and at 10-50% tried to blend everything together on the soft light layer. The color picking and blending on that layer seemed to add saturation.

The other one
    Similar to the one before, created "color" and "soft light" layers, color picked with alt and blended on the soft light layer at low opacity.

Should I be doing something different?

Last edited by brokk; December 16th, 2005 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bumskee: Thought you might like this next one . Thanks for pimping out the project so much btw.

@Kitsu: Thanks for taking the time to comment on other peoples stuff I really appreciate it! I think the edit you did on the pipe does look better but still odd, not necessary off but odd. Like seeing a bright blue tree in the middle of the forest or something, a situation you don't often see. Try some reflected light on it and maybe you'll see what I mean. See my post to Oblio down a little bit where I comment a little on your comments. Free free to skip to any project you'd like, See ya on monday champ!

@Oblio/Kitsu: *A I'm not entirely positive disclaimer but I'm pretty sure* On the red shadows; when an object recieves more white light it both increases in value and intensity. Value because there is more light and intensity because there is more of the specific hue that the object reflects. Now in a gray enviroment that would reflect an equal amount of all hues in the reflected light it is true that you would add some intensity however it should not be more or even equal to the intensity of the part in the direct lightsource (if your lightsource was a strong white light). Now in say a red enviroment with a red object it may actually be possible that your shadow is more intense than the part in direct light but I don't think it should be higher in value... complicated stuff. Just keep it mind it's all related, think of it in small steps if you need to, you could do it first only in value, then in hue and intensity. I think you might want to keep hue and intensity together because they are closely related but you might try doing different lightsources/reflected light seperately. Kitsu you did bring up an interesting point however, if you had a pure red object (meaning it absorbed everything but red) that had gray (or weak white light) reflected onto it, then it could only become more intense. However realistically I don't think such an object exists, a red object would most likely absorb some red as well and a weak white light wouldn't increase the amount of red to be reflected by that much; probably only fractions or something. Damn, 'nuff jibber jabber. Peace.

@bRØk3n_sPiRiT: It's not flattery if it's honest is it? Blocks look good, lighting, shadows, enviroment all cool. Bit of an interesting way to do it, not exactly sure how accurate it will be but if it helps you learn keep using it. However I would say you should try and paint it directly after you start to figure it out better, this will help you get even better and quicker. Colors are a little dull again, almost to the extreme left of the color wheel in Painter, I want to stress that this isn't by all means wrong or anything but I think you might want to experiment with a little more intensity. With your current layer method I'd like to see you start with a fairly intense local color and go from there. On the soft brush: I don't use photoshop so I'm not exactly the one to ask, you might try bumskee though; however I scribbled this up to show you how you might work with a soft brush.
    A: Using a 0% hardness brush just to prove a point I picked just three values and slapped them down on a cruddy sphere. I used a very large brush for the two big masses and reduced it slightly for the last small one. Notice the very soft edges? B. Using soft edges to my advantage I color picked the mixture in these soft areas and proceed to paint pretty much right in the middle of the soft edge with the very same 0% hardness brush at about 50% opacity, you could really do this with higher opacity or perhaps with flow. C. Again with the same 0% Hardness brush I further blended the areas this time at around 25% opacity (again, you could do it even higher or with flow). I cut into the soft edges with the same brush at a much reduced size, seems pretty sharp though doesn't it? With about the same size I added the highlight. Literally 2 minutes of work, I went and tried to do the same with a 100% hardness brush and couldn't even do it. On your reworked spheres: They look better saturated but I think you've lost some of their charm, I liked the color variations on the original's a bit better; they added interest. The next time you feel like doing this I want to to use this color as your starting color and go from there: cc783a <- just put that in the # box at the bottom of the color picker. Don't worry about doing a grayscale version either, unless you want to match a grayscale sphere to your colored one. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm beating up on ya, just want to help . Glad to have you here. Oh almost forgot, I use PS's Save for Web function set to jpeg at 80 percent quality, the results are pretty much perfect and the size isn't big enough to complain about. Edit: Damnit, I get so forgetful when I write these sometimes, you will probably be happier with a somewhat medium hardness brush than you would at either extreme. But if you hit ctrl+[ or ctrl+] it will change the hardness on normal round brushes. (without ctrl it changes brush size). Crap, maybe it's shift+ ?

Ok wooo, that took longer than I thought it would. Gunna post my results for Project #6 now, hopefully give you guys some inspiration and ideas. Well, actually I'm just going to post a link so it won't spoil it for the rest of you.

I spent longer than I should have on this, was having too much fun. I haven't done much copying from references but I think I'll start. If you'll notice I got bummed out and completely bored on the finer details and just slapped them on there (oh man are they crappy!) but I think it still reads well because of the overall basic shapes with correct(ish) colors and values.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ment_final.jpg

Ref: http://www.morguefile.com/archive/?display=5131&

Don't spend any more time than you want on these! Ignore the details unless you really want to give them a try, they take too long .

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; December 17th, 2005 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot apathy, that exercise looks heaps fun!! let me do the block, then one from ur photos and then I will get onto that one.. ahh long way to go for me. well, this thread is GREAT for beginners..heaps of info and great exercises, we should be doing more of these!

I had another crack at the spheres, took idiot apathy's advice and tried warm and cool shift. I went for stronger intensity, since dull looking things are slightly easier to match. And also did the coloured one first, noticed it's so damn hard to match it.. my eyes are so crooked.. Looks like I am going to have to move on, hehe find new things.. oh well here goes.

greyscale came out a little darker.

second attempt flipped it so cooler on top and little warmer on the bottom, really needs background.. I think..

greyscale lighter this time, hehe I am going in circles!!

Now to the boxes and shadows...yikes..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Newb here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys so much.
    I've beenout of town.. and now i'm only home for few minutes before leaveing again and i don;t want to pass by without a small reply.
    I will study more art-math and see about light... and i'll never be easier on myself, since i don;t have the time to take it easy. I'm an old fart.
    Great new exrcise - yet - i will redo the cubes first

Venomai - try to use a wider range of values and make sure your sphere is... round
    I took the liberty of painting on top on yours in few secs just to try to make a small example. My spheres are still not as good as i want them.. but hopefully they make the point.
    I know it is not the target of the excercise to have perfect spheres on the values but i got frustrated when i cound;nt made mine look round enough.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bumskee: Thanks for your encouragement and enthusiasm man! New spheres look great, very vibrant. Do you think you could explain a little about the cool reflected light you have near the middle of the sphere? It looks right; I just want to know why. Don't worry about matching perfectly, this exercise is flawed in that it's not really possible to get a perfect grayscale and it's especially hard when you put strong intensities into the mix. Your right about needing a background, right now they are cut-outs put onto a gray background, I think that might be messing with some people. Can't wait to see the boxes, try a very simple light direction if the shadows are giving you a hard time, baby steps man baby steps.

@Venomai: You made it! Sweet, welcome to the thread. Neat texture on the spheres, an angled brush? Anyways, spheres look good and you matched pretty well, I might add some reflected light in the shadows to add some realism or a larger value range like Oblio suggested but again, not the point of the exercise but it helps ya know?

@Oblio: 29 is old?! Oh man, there are things I wanted to do in life... didn't think that I'd be old at 29... Anyways your determination is really inspiring, for an old fart; can't wait to see your cubes again.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Did another one after I woke up this morning; spent a lot less time on it (and it shows...) but still practice makes perfect!

Link again so not to spoil it for those who don't wanna see yet:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eleven_004.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Idiot apathy, the little thing in the middle? no idea, thought it would look right since it's a sphere, one thing I noticed most of the spheres here look more closely to a beveled round button, including mine. hehe, yeah damn these spheres are hard. And you know what I did have a go at the box yesterday for about 2 hrs. :| and I could not for the life of me figure out the damn shadows.. was driving me mental!! and how the hell do you and romance get such clean edges?? god I thought I had photoshop pretty under control but it was all over the place. I was just about to have another crack at.. made me realise how much of the basics I was missing.. damn..I might have to remove a block or two for the moment..

nice ball, damn those colours are really hitting it. Good to see you leading the way mate, hope I get there one day.!! back to the annoying boxes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww damn, your embarassing me , "Hope I get there one day", it won't take that long mate, now if I could just draw like you .

I got clean edges by going over the black lines lines at the end (I used a multiply layer for my lay-in) with a 100% opaque mostly hard edged brush set to straight lines only, second one I think I actually touched up in photoshop using the click shift click method.

Post or PM/Email me what you got so far and I'll see if I can help but shadows really frustrate me too!

Feel free to nuke a box if you want, even go so far to make your own boxes. It might be easier to construct a full on 2pp enviroment and then map out your shadows, here is a really hard to understand (I still can't even bear to read it) but awesome resource: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/perspect6.html#type5 lol, let me know if you decode it. Oh and make sure and post your results!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Baubles

bRØk3n_sPiRiT:
    Project two look good, I'm not seeing much bounce light though. Also your planes are a little to flat; In most lighting situations one area of a plane is more lit and further away get dimmer. One neat thing you caught was the higher saturation on the inside corner of the pink block. The pink light bouncing off the lit face would make part of the shadow more colorful (but still dark). One problem though is that your block is not self shadowing. Here is a quick markup showing the missing shadow:

The latest exercise was fun and challeging. I actually did it twice since I need the practice anyway. Here is the first ref I used:
    I actually just used the thumbnail for ref. Color was the point, not details.

This one turned out okay. The long shadow got really lumpy because I went over it about a dozen times. It is both a shadow and lit, and has a buch of hue shifts caused by things outside our field of view. I also had trouble getting that hot orange band in the middle to look right.

After I got done I scribbled over the paint figuring out the lighting situation. This scene has two primary light sources, and two shadows. It also has a nice example of that wide band of identifying color. The shadows picked up a lot of the balls color, maybe the lights had a slight orange/yellow tint?

Here is the second one I did. I chose one of the more complex ref photos:
    I think this image was intentionally over exposed, so the colors are extra saturated and the whites are all blown out.

I had trouble with everything on this one. The final image stands up well on its own, but isn't very close to the referance. I had a lot of problems getting the colors and saturation right, both on the glass and on the floor. In the end I didn't succeed, the photo's colors are a lot hotter than mine. BTW glass is hard...

This image is interesting because the shadow does not line up with the apparent light source. The highlights are a little right of the nearest side, but the shadow is cast to the near left. It seems there was a much stronger, but distant, back light in the scene. There were a ton of interesting light/color effects caused by the glass. The object is translucent and back lit, so it looks like it is glowing from within. Also the back light casts caustics into the shadow. The surface is somewhat reflective, but warped.

I painted these at four times the width/height shown. Using a larger image size helped with these I think. I also tried to keep in mind all the advice I've gotten here recently. Using a brush with a softer edge helped round these out a little more, but also tended to fuzz out the details I was trying to add.

I guess I'm going to work backwards through these for a while. Warm/cool painting is next!

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kitsu: I thought a plane was flat by definition? Hehe, I see what you mean though but still don't quite understand why, do you know? I found some good examples of this here: http://www.korthalsaltes.com/index.html on the paper models (click the links in the link). But I'm still not sure why, perhaps it is only with artifical lighting? Due to the curved surface of the bulbs? Would the same effect be true with sunlight? Good call on the "self-shadowing", I missed that! On pink light onto pink light, don't forget that besides adding intensity your adding light so the value should go up too (probably less in relation to intensity though). On the Color Matching: Orange Ping pong ball - Awesome! It's great to finally see someone elses. It reads very well and I recognized it instantly, I was actually thinking about doing this one because (well besides how much I like orange) of the interesting lighting situation. Now I'm going to get nit-picky just to keep you thinking , If you had wanted to you could have actually gone 100% intensity on the "intensity band"; The reflected light on the core shadow is a little exaggerated and sharp, you might try blending that a little more or perhaps on a seperate layer if your using PS; the long mostly warm cast shadow could use a little more intensity. Crazy that you used the thumbnail as the ref; your missing out on some important lighting details; the highlights on the ball jump to almost a yellow white in small spots like an orange almost; the stronger cast shadow actually turns to a violet on the edges where it increases in value. Sorry for being nit-picky, you've really done a great job! Why don't you do your lighting situation scribble on the photo ref before you start, it might be helpful. Try and identify what color the lighting is as well. On the second color matching: Red Measuring Cup - Again dude, awesome! It still reads well but like you said it's a bit different than the ref. Your folly was really just: not going saturated enough on a few parts, going just a little too dark on the "shadow" parts, and being a little afraid to go to white on some of the highlights and reflected parts. Some of which are a little harder to see on the thumbnail. I too painted from a smaller thumbnail but had a large image ready to examine to get a better feel from it. The shadow that you see isn't a shadow, think of the glass as a photo filter over a light, the red shadow is just filtered light. Anyways kudos to you, glass is hard but try and think of it as just different shapes and different edges in order to simplify it. Can't wait to see your warm/cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Tons of useful information again. Here is a blurb about light intensity changing across a surface:
    If you count the number of rays hitting at each edge you can see why the furthest is darker. If you want to get technical it is because of the inverse square law, which applies to all field effects (like gravity or waves in water): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law
    Basically as you get further from the light the photons get further apart, so the surface is less lit. The suns rays are nearly parallel so it's intensity shouldn't change on regular sized objects. but radiosity has an impact too, especially in sun light, so less obstructed (higher) areas will get more light.

Yesterday I took some time trying to figure out shadows. The titanic page of info you found is actually really useful! You just need to follow along on paper and it makes a lot more sense. Maybe I'll try to post a simplified explanation of basic shadow casting after I finish the next exercise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So then it seems to me this would be more apparent with artifical lighting right? Especially since the light comes fairly spread out? Anyways, thanks for taking the time; this thread could use more stuff like this, and do let us know what you find out about shadows!

Where are the rest of you slackers?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down ...

Yeah, it got quiet in here again...

I finished project five, I think I need to try it again though. Here is my ref:

And here is the paint. I don't have access to my usual posting comp so I'm posting this from my dad's computer. I think this image might need some contrast correction, but this monitor is so out of wack that I can't tell. Hopefully this doesn't look as bad elsewhere as it does here.

And steps:
    First problem is I kinda mangled the camera angle. I don't mind but it seems when I draw things I always shift the point of view a little. Also I didn't push the saturation anywhere noticable. It would be great if someone could do a paint over on this because I really don't know where I could go saturation wise. I think I learned something from doing this one, but I don't think I can explain exactly what it was...

Okay, I'm going to try to make a shadow demo. Then I'll probably do this exercise again with a different ref. I'm offline until Tuesday, but I'll try to respond to anyone who posts when I get back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone: Slackers! Where the hell are ya? Tell me what's up, if theres a problem I need to know! Could it be that people just pass by stickies like I always imagined?

@Kitsu: Really cool ref and really great results. I'm glad you learned something and I know how it is not being able to describe it. I did a quick and sloppy paint-over to show you what you might have done a little differently:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ok27/kitsu.jpg
    I think you made it a little harder on yourself by having blue water and a blue sky so prominent in your picture; they sucked up all the blues! Yet you did a fantastic job of spreading your orange around. You might have liked to use some blues in your shadows, blue helps things feel a little darker and cooler but it will also help them feel further away when used properly (think our own atmosphere, anything really far away). One of the main things you could have tweaked was the value of the bridge as well as the sky. You might plan your values in the beginning to get a better feel for it; try accurately marking out your brightest and darkest colors and go from there. Intensity/saturation is tricky in that it can describe how near (high intensity) or how far (low intensity) something is but you should also pay attention to how intense things are in your reference. The sky for example is pretty intense, the sky is actually a lightsource! In the future I might try a higher opacity brush until your finished blocking most areas in, it might help with getting the proper color you want as well as other things. Glad you've stuck around unlike these other bums, see you on tuesday! Edit: Oh and a shadow demo sounds awesome, thanks!

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; December 21st, 2005 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Project #7: Value

More and more I'm believing that value is the most important element in what we do, notice that's its and element and doesn't stand on its own however. I don't think it is always the most important however I think in many styles it very well may be. This Project is set up to get us to start seeing value better and quicker. You will generalize areas with a very limited value range, I believe it better to block in your general forms first and then split them up into the details later. If you do this with the proper value it should flow very easily. Later I think we will do this with color.

- - - - - - - - - -
    The Guidelines:
    A: Do the project and create a dialogue of what you did and why. (Try and think about this while you do the project, this is important; we will be better able to learn from each other as well as catch each other's mistakes.)
    B: The Dialogue will be analyzed by your peers; (Right or wrong, the idea is to have a reason why and explain it. I think this will be key )
    C: And of course at the same time peer critiques will be offered. (Pretty simple no?)
    D: You shouldn't have to spend a large amount of time on this however spend as much time as you need, give it your best.
    E. All Projects/Exercises are of course optional, have no order, and are always open to participation. Start wherever and whenever you want!
    F. People who are too embarassed to post their results will be shot on sight, you're here to learn not to show off.
    I strongly recommend you read the discussions and analyses within others posts that are between exercises. I see a lot of the same advice being repeated. Read through this for your sake; I mean don't you want to learn faster?

This being said, sometimes advice or critiques will be given that may be incorrect, or misconceptions; I most likely am not innocent of this either. If you spot mistakes be sure and correct them! Don't confuse these with opinions however, which are never wrong only different.

Step One: Choose a photo. Below are some good links to public domain photo sites as well as some pictures I thought might work well for this. Feel free to choose or use your own photo's but I think for this project it will be best to stick with simple architecture, indoors or outdoors. You don't want anything with lots of blends or deep perspective (will cause blending too!). The point of this exercise is not a perfect dupilicate of a photograph; the point is begin to divide values properly. No B&W photo's you cheater!

Step Two: I know it sounds horrible but your going to do this directly off the photo; it will take too long otherwise. Get the high res version of your photo set up in PS or another Image editor (Painter might not be the best choice for this one). You are going to use as few values as possible to describe this photo, do stick to under 10 if you can help it. What values you choose are up to you, remember no intensity! Using the polygonal lasso or whatever you feel is best select areas that you feel are the same value. Generalize everything! No extremely small areas and no details! If it's really close in value then make it the same value! Fill this area with your value; do it on a seperate layer so you don't mess up your photo. I recommend starting with your brightest and darkest values, not necessarily white and black mind you! Do not convert to grayscale and do not color pick, this is to come from your eyes only!

Step Three: Rinse and repeat until you are finished. Does the image still retain it's identity? If not go back and edit, add more values if necessary, create smaller shapes in different (but proper!) values to distinguish shapes.

Presentation: Try and keep your image size below 800x600 so everyone can see it, feel free to work as big as your computer will comfortably allow but do resize it when finished, odds are it will look better when it is shrunk down anyways. Link or have a thumbnail to your reference as well please, do not hotlink either, that's just plain mean.

Public Domain Photo Links:
    http://www.imageafter.com/
    http://www.morguefile.com/
    http://www.sxc.hu/

Some Images: (Click for Link to High Res!)
    !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !
    (Sorry feeling lazy ...)

- - - - - - - - - -
    Any comments, suggestions, corrections etc. greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; January 7th, 2006 at 06:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To give you an idea of just how simple it can be and just how much time you should spend I did this one real quick:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    @Jubilee: Cool to see you in here too . While reading what's in here take it with a grain of salt, not all of it may be true! Some of it is just a thought process. Your spheres came out really close, kudos! On your highlight you might want to try to keep the different sections in the middle of each other, erm think like a bullseye? Right now it looks a bit like your sphere has a bulge at the highlight. Keep posting! I'll take it as a personal insult if you don't .
    eek the pressure! bleah i'm falling even further behind I swear I'll be back on this directly after the holidays

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well this is my first go at this kind of stuff i went thought the first page of reading a little bit about light and i learned quite abit off it but i will go though the links and every thing else tonight and see how i did every thing wrong

No clue what i was doing just messing around

Same goes for this one....

Some more

Last edited by seth1; December 24th, 2005 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice dude! As for just messing around; that's what we do man, mess around and learn. You really hit the books on this man, way to show these slackers how it's done!

Spheres look great, I like how you've shown the roundness of it with the intense (borders?), this sort of thing took me awhile to realize. The point isn't a perfect match, even though your pretty spot on, the idea is to see color in terms of values as well.

Good try on the blocks as well! I'm not the man to go to for shadows right now but they look a little off, why don't you try a simple lightsource say from the front or front left that would hit one plane of the cubes square on, that is if you want to do it again . I think you must be using photoshop to color yes? Your shadows are actually getting more intense when they should usually become less intense, in PS the color picker goes from left (no intensity) to right (full intensity). Try thinking of pure sunlight as adding intensity to any color and an area with less sunlight as well less intense, build from there. After that try thinking about what light is being reflected onto your object as well as into your shadows.

Haha, awesome animation on your pitcher! These came out really good! I'd watch where you put the highlights on the top rim though, I think they should travel in a straight line from your lightsource.

This last one, just for fun? First one looks pretty good, shadow needs work; maybe try thinking of your set-up in a 2d diagram? Draw your sphere and the lightsource and trace where the edges would meet and you'll see a little better how your shadow should look, let me know if that didn't make sense... I'll draw it up. Second one: Light acts a little funny on a sphere, or rather how it is reflected off a sphere, the highlight would probably be a little further down even if the lightsource was right above the sphere. Third ones pretty good; just keep thinking!

Nice having you in here man, hope to see you around !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

attempt #01

Apathy:
    Thanks a lot for the paint over. I really like how the bridge turned out in your version!

seth1:
    Welcome! Good job on all of these. I only saw two things I can comment on. First on the shadowed spheres the center one looks very flat. This is caused by the large area in the center which is all of similar value; it looks like a black disk with a beveled edge. I think if you added some more light aroung the upper edges, and made the bottom center darker, it would work better.

Second your colored blocks don't look finished. I think you were going in the right direction with these, they just need some more time. The values are off in a few places (like the shadow on the green block), and the painting is still a little rough.

Okay, I did some work on shadow casting inbetween festivities this last week. I think I've found some simple stuff that works, but I also found some questions that I don't have answers for. I think most lighting situations can be put into one of three catigories: sun light in front of viewer, sun light behind viewer, or lamp light. Lamp light may also chage depending on location infront or behind the viewer, but I haven't tested it yet.

Sun light - in front
    The sun can be concidered infinitly distant, so its shadow vp (vanishing point) is simply the suns horizontal location on the horizon line. To find the shadow we first need to find the shadow of each vertical edge. To do this draw a line from the shodow vp through the bottom of the vertical edge, then draw a line from your sun through the top point on the vertical edge. The shadow for the edge is then from the bottom point to where the two lines intersect. To see this look at the furthest vertical edge on the nearest face. Once you have shadows for the verticals just connect the dots to find the top of the faces shadow. The line for the top of the shadow should point toward one of you're vanishing points, but it isn't always perfect.

Sun light - behind
    This case is the same as front sun except for one problem, we cannot see the light source. So what we do is put a point below the horizon which is oposite of where the sun is behind us. From there we just draw a vertical line from the anti-solar vp to find the shadow vp on the horizon, then draw lines through the tops and bottoms of the vertical edges to find our shadows. Notice where the nearest shadow hits the other face, the shadow then travels vertically until it runs into the line connecting the anti-solar vp to the top of the casting edge.

Lamp light
    Lamp lights are special because they are near enough to use that their shadow vp is below the horizon. Really the shadow vp of a lamp is the point on the 'floor' where the lamp would land if it fell straight down. Moving it up makes it further away, and down brings it nearer to us. Once we decide where the light is the rest of the proceedure is the same as before. Shadows from lamps will tend to be more distorted than sun light, and should 'fuzz out' faster.

Okay, these are the basics for rectangular objects sitting on the world plane with single point light sources. Things get a little more complicated for things not sitting on the ground, for angled edges, and for light being emitted from an area (an area light source, like a florecent light). Remember though if you can get a vertical line touching the ground you can project a shadow for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, so this is a start at least, i had a go at the first exercise and got okish results, that value of the overall piece seems pretty similar......

i knew that the darktones on the colour one were too dark, but for some reason didn't change it

also as you can prbably tell i spent way longer doing the colour one.....tricky stuff

i'm so inexperienced with colour that you wouldn't believe, but i'm determined to fix that, i'll have another go soon, but right now i'm going to attempt project two

advice and crits would be greatly appreciated

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BLAAAAHHH!!!!!

i don't know why i did this, but this is entierly done with selection..... the most boring possible way to go about it, and probably defeates the perpose....but anyway, i'll have another go some day soon

btw, i don't even know how to properly cast shadows!!!!.....? i think this worked out ok, but i have no idea how i did it, are there any good tutorials out there?

- book -
    - blog -
    - my etsy -
    - TomMonster.com -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy

Oh, here is the one of the best examples of color relativity (they call it color perception, might be a better name?) I've ever seen:
    http://www.echalk.co.uk/amusements/O...erception.html
    I usually have a hard time being "tricked" by this illusion (Suppose I should feel blessed) but this one gets me every time.

I am definitely going to start doing these exercises....I know a late start, but I'm game.

Also, I totally did not believe that 3rd illusion. I thought it gradually changed the color of the tile as it made the mask opaque, so I used a shite-load of post-it notes to make my own mask. It's for real.

I did this really quickly, using a mouse. I will post more as I go.

IS

Last edited by glikster; December 28th, 2005 at 10:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kronos:
    Your spheres look good, you have a very complete range of values. The color sphere is definatly too dark in the shadows, but that is the kind of thing you are supposed to find out with this exercise. Otherwise your values are all fairly close. On the second exercise yeah, you kinda missed the point; you've made a very good template to start with though. Now if you take that image and try to think about how light would bounce around and interact in that scene you will have it made. BTW just above your first post I made a simple intro to the basics of shadow casting, and Apathy has posted a couple of links to other shadow resources in this thread.

glikster:
    Very nice spheres, especially when using a mouse! The only problem I see is you didn't go dark enough on your colored version. You also got them to look very 'spherey', which is suprisingly hard to do.

Remember, there is no reason to do these exercises in order. If you think you would get more from one of the recent exercises go ahead and try it. These all seem to be pretty small chunks of information, and remember: the more you mess up the more crits you will get. Its about findin' out what you are doing wrong!

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 117