!!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast ! - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: !!Peer Project!! Foundational Activities - Learning, Teaching, and Toast !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apathy thanks so much I've learnt a lot from this already.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I think the light needs to be more intense on that considering its a cylinder and a metal object.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Project 4:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Project 1

I just discovered this thread and realized just how outstandingly useful and important it is. So, I'm subscribing and am participating. Excellent thread! And thank you so much for some of the most useful information I've had when it comes to art since high school. I feel a few thousand dollars weeping to be back in mine and my parents' wallets.

Here's my attempt at Project #1. Sorry for the not too clean edges. Unfortunately, I don't know all the nifty selection tips and tricks or in's 'n out's of Photoshop or Painter X. Most of the time I work in one layer as I screw everything up when I make more than one. I'm sure it all comes with time.

Oops! Forgot to add the gray scale version.

Here 'tis. I was a bit off, I believe.

Last edited by Wilsty; November 9th, 2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Forgot second picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wilsty: you can make a circle selection in PS and paint inside it so you will get a sharp edge. Or you make a circle selection, fill it with a mid tone, deselect and lock the transparent pixels (you can find the button near the layer lock)

www.ClassicalAtelier@HOME.com
    My website for learning traditional fine art on your own! --- Derived from THIS thread at CA.org
    ------------ ♦ ♦ ♦ ------------
    www.cast-drawing.com
    drawing casts (geometric shapes, anatomical casts, skull), tutorials on Bargue drawing and cast drawing, Willow Charcoal, free drawing exercises

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bjoern3000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip! It's greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to spend some time over in the tech section looking up PS and Painter tips, haha. What little I know of the programs I learned from messing around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent. I dunno why it took me so long to find this thread. I am going to make some intense effort to study one of these every day. So here's day and project one.

I eye balled it the first time and it was pretty close (with the grey scale having a more limited range of value in comparison to the red). I then re-did the greyscale, starting with a darker base color and got good results.

This defiantly helped me understand the relationship between value, hue, and intensity better but I am not sure I entirely grasp hue. Hue is PURE color, right? So on the photoshop color picker that would be identified as the color way in the top right corner? Right-o?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kitehiGh; November 10th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exercise 1 Damn spheres

I have done this with pencil and felt that I had a pretty good handle on the value thing. I guess my grip wasn't as tight I thought.

glutamat is online now Level Up - All Access Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are my shaded spheres....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this thread is really awesome, exactly what I was looking for. Gonna try to catch up and give some critiques/comments in the future.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, me again....

lighting conditions:

1. front/top right
    2. front/from below left
    3. backlight/top left

Last edited by glutamat; January 10th, 2010 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, here are the first 3 of the spheres....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah this thread is very useful and i just made this for fun without actully reading alot of the instructions yet, because i have not alot of free-time to draw.

I started to learn color theory some weeks ago(well i read some pages of betty edwards colors and made a colorwheel in oils, read a bit about values, croma, saturation, yadda yadda

can someone tell what im doing wrong? because i made my shadows more saturated but then i read they arent. i started to read the first 10 sites from the site that is advertised here so much but i dont understnd anything its like mathematics to me ...

i made a quick observation study and tired to analyse what the shadows will look like and if i will se something like a complementary in the castshadow or the shadowside of the lego but i couldnt see nothing. the only thing i notices is that the shadow has the same color as the lego+the some yellow tint. (tell me if im wrong, because m just assuming this)

can someone give me a hint in what direction i should go, appart from giving me another link to a site. i appreaciate first hand advises

"It's a time machine, Napoleon. We bought it online."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another late starter here. Thanks for the lessons.

Took a few goes, but got close enough in the end:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Based heavily on your blocks Idiot Apathy. I found this more differcult than I though I would.

Anyway, I'm ready for the next project.

Last edited by JackAnimated; June 13th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Abandoned thread... I'm still posting, hah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here´s come my entrance

Project 1
    I started with the grayscale sphere then i made a new one in color.

Project 2
    I made 3 attempts,the first was pretty muddy, it was though finding all vanishing points (incluiding the light one) but i hope i got the point, if not make me know.

less is more

Project 3

here i turned into something more complex i guess,

Project 4

Experiment 1

This thread is amazing i think i`m learning just by entered..

Hope some comments, i did what i could.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first attempt on the blocks scene. I will have to try it again. Still feeling uncomfortable using colors. Great thread. I finally decided to train and to stop being so damn lazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My second attempt on the spheres. The shadows don't seem quite right and are not dark enough. This time i was trying to match the different colors in value.

Last edited by IhateIceCream; June 17th, 2011 at 12:14 PM.

kuakness is offline Artist Wannabe / Digital Designer Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Project 1 and 2

dude...seriously I need to hang out at the forums more often... this post is just amazing. Anyway, better late than never, right? here's my entry for project 1 and 2.

Gee, I just read the guidelines... I'm not very good with words but I'll try my best to explain myself:

Project 1 Tried painting the blue colored sphere first (light blue) then I went on to the values, squinting a bit and trying to discard color information while looking at them (....it's so hard for me!!). I started with the mid color value, then applied dark and light.
    Tried the same with some other colors until I noticed I was using colors with very similar values, so I tried doing two more spheres with darker, richer colors. I was using photoshop and I thought that maybe if I tried to match the distance between the gray on the left of the color square with the color I was using on the upper right horizontal bar, maybe I could get the exact value? Not quite sure it worked though. Overall, I mostly did it by intuition.

I was pretty amazed by kitehiGh's spheres. I'd like to try kitehiGh's method, see if it works for me xD.

Project 2 Started with base colors for everything and tried out different lighting source positions. I was wondering, how do you determine the direction of the cast shadows?

6evilsonic6's second attempt at project 2 is wonderful. I think I forgot to focus on the edges the same as evilsonic. They look wonderfully plastic (in a good way)

how do you people do it??

Project 4 mmmm I just noticed I'm using the dropper a lot :/ i think I should stop using it. And I think I should stop and evaluate what color the cast shadow should have x___x ... didn't really think it through, just grabbed a darker, cooler color :/.... geez this is hard.

Last edited by kuakness; September 7th, 2011 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just saw this, I'm afraid I might be very, very late. Nevertheless, here's my first try. I must say I quiet like it, it's not perfect, but I like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SoJust caught wind of this thread and I must say I am going to have to start re evaluating my abilities and put forth much more effort.

GREYSCALE- As I was doing this one I set a pre determined color from dark to light. Layed down layers of color ranging from black to white. I used 5 shades from dark to light all with a 100% hard brush. After I decided to drop the opacity and eye drop color layering it at different opacity's getting a greydation between the colors. When I was happy with that i switched to a soft brush and repeated the last step.

Color-Since this is just practicing I attempted to create the colored version the same way I did the grey scale.

All I can say is I must study forms moar and focus a lot more on values, because my conversion f the colored version looked more dull than the grey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did some practices.

With the color and grayscale spheres, I started by putting in the midtone for the base, shadows next because they have the most dramatic effect to the color of the sphere, and highlights last because of the minimal appearance. I took the midtone value from the grey sphere to the color sphere, rest was by eye.
    I think I got pretty close, but my shadows aren't nearly dark enough. I have a problem with values, I'll keep practicing that.

For the light exercise, I chose a gas tank. The back shadow one is the least appealing of the bunch, but I think the side light and bottom light ones worked out pretty well. The ridges along the gas tank were pretty difficult to visualize, though!

Aag how do I remove this big image

Last edited by OJseve; October 14th, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Removing oversized image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone!

i would like to join you. i really need some training, especially in color-understanding. i hope we can help each other out!

i did the first exercise with my prefered brush, i dont like it too soft, i like the rough modelled look of this brush and i think it helps me to understand steps in value.

----------- Exercise 1-------------

on my first attempt i tried toget too much values in i guess. also the perspective of the light did not please me:

Name:  balls1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  70.1 KB

2nd Attempt - i used the lightest shade for the lightning-reflection. i picked an orange for the colored ball. ive wondered how you achieve your shifts into desaturation and hue...do you mix it up with a dark blue or something? or just intention?

Name:  balls2.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  77.9 KB

In my 3rd attempt, i tried a stronger hue-shift. i always found this difficult, to guess/mix the colors right while considering saturation etc.

Name:  balls4.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  75.3 KB

a greyscale version of the last one, interesting

Name:  balls5.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  68.2 KB

----------- Exercise 2-------------

never thought this would include so much thougts, omg, did that confuse me, but im often confused when it comes to concept art, how my colors behave...i hate guessing and be lost in space with that.

so i would really really appreciate some feedback/thoughts on my attempt:

Name:  try1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  136.6 KB

there is a blue skylight and a sliiiiightly warm sunlight. the strongest light on he orange boxes is received in the front, i thought of some additive effect from the bouncing sunlight from the botton and the direct sunlight. the top planes are a bit more darker and saturated, because they dont receive any bouncing light and so will not be as strong diluted... the sides gets most of their light from the bottom, and just a slightly influence from the sky.

i thought of the big box as something beige in local color. in direct sunlight it dilutes to white. sides towards the orangeboxes receive orange reflectionlight, but most of the tones are totally diluted by the overbright sun. the side has a blueshift as beige is a bright local color, bright colors are receiving more light than darker ones. just a bit of local color on the side from the bouncing sunlight of the bottom.

phew, thats alot of stuff going on there a good exercise in english too..

small update:

had a few thoughts about light and value, the imagination of how light affects objects and stuff..nailed my thoughts in a quick sketch:

Name:  nu2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  83.7 KB

my thoughts to this:

to think in light-terms ive to start with nothing, BLACK - no light at all. i find it easier to think about one light-source at a time.

in the 2nd step light comes straight from above

in the 3rd step it creates a cast-shadow

in the 4th step i considered the bouncing light from the bottom, i tried to consider the angels of the bouncing light as well, as i guess it gives me an idea of how much light is reflected. it seems to be a similar light-angel like it is in the midtones on the lightside. will be slightly darker because its just reflected light. heard a rule once; the lightest objects can reflect up tp 90% of the light, dark objects 10%, i dont know if thats the ultimative truth but for me its a nice little guideline to consider.

at last, the bounced light on the sphere bounces apprx. 50% light back in to the cast shadow. suddenly wild coreshadow appears, yaay!

omg, never thought SO much about this, but its really really helpful, thanks for the thread, i would appreciate some feedback!

Last edited by Mister Janchichan; March 9th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Janchichan For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Members who have read this thread: 160