Dragon thing... need C&C bad, 4th update!!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Dragon thing... need C&C bad, 4th update!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragon thing... need C&C bad, 4th update!!!

what i got so far
    hope u can help me in ways of things to add and maybe some C&C on the dragon?

Last edited by Joey-b; October 8th, 2005 at 02:34 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It might be easier to crit all your stuff if you'd put it all in 1 thread.

I don't like the bright happy BG with the dragons flames. Pick a lightsource and stick with it. You seem to want the flames as the main lightning, but that can never compete with the sun. Make the sky a nightversion.

The dragon has nice blue highlights, but the shadows are pretty boring black. It flattens the dragon, some deep reddish tones could liven the beast up.

The BG is rather boring now, compositionwise. The castle is in the middle exactly with two lumps that must be mountains next to it. This would look way more impressive if you zoomed out and draw a whole attackscene and the complete castle on a hill, or zoomed in on the dragon, making him fight a knight. ATM, the castle is pretty much doomed.

That's my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm usually not one to draw dragons, but something about the length of the dragon's body bothers me. The dragon looks kinda short, like as if it's missing some more spine and bones. The part that leaps out at me the most is the transition from the neck to the torso to the thighs. It just seems cramped, for the lack of a better word.

Perhaps like suggested - a change in perspective?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tend bitch a lot about wings, but that's because people always seem to do them in horribly inaccurate and non-functional ways. There's no way an animal like that could fly with those. Wings are like arms, the bits that hold the membrane are like hands.. they're not posts with stringy bits sticking out of them. Take a look at bats for good reference. Also look at any flying mammal or bird and you'll see that their wings are connected quite far down on their body--usually past the hip. Not to the armpit! They need that area to generate lift.

http://212.84.179.117/i/Long-eared%20Bat.jpg
    http://www.hitchams.suffolk.sch.uk/s...images/bat.jpg for a skeleton (see how it just looks like big arms and hands?)

The way you've done them here reminds me strongly of dead leaves. I doubt that's what you're going for.

Insects have wings more like that, but a dragon couldn't possibly fly like an insect for various reasons. It just looks implausible. Concepts are always better when they look like they could really happen.

I also agree that the light source is a bit confusing. The fire seems to be darker than the sky which I think hardly (if ever) happens, and there's not much ambient light going on. If the sky were that light, it would be lighting up the rest of the dragon, right? So you'd be getting a lot more stuff there. It's a rather complex situation you've thought up here.. I think it would fix it just to make the sky darker and add more ambient light to the castle and dragon to have it make more sense.

I think the best area of this painting is the tail. I think it works very nicely. Keep it up!

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main crits have been already said.
    But for the horns, they don't really seems symetric to me.

One thing that have nothing to do with the drawing itself though.
    This kind of thing is called a wyvern, not a dragon.

Winged iguana = Dragon
    Scaly chicken = Wyvern

Last edited by Althael; October 5th, 2005 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lots of very good comments thx allot u guys

i tried to fix up his muscle structure as u can c on his shoulders and wings.. better like this??

i also changed the whole head .. cause it sucked imo

i adjusted the wings
    and removed the whole bg.. havent got a clue what to with it yet.. thats a bad thing right? damn..

here tis

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    joey,
    you need to work out a composition before hand.
    the composition is more than just line and shape...
    its values too.
    try playing around with ideas until you really get the important things to stand out.

Last edited by DSillustration; October 7th, 2005 at 02:20 PM.
    - Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi joey,

the chosen colours are quite nice, but shapes and values should be reworked. Some examples: when we can see the dragon clearly, the towers he's standing on, should not be kinda blured.
    The tail looks too "sharp" in front of these towers.
    The shape of the fire doesn't look right. Simply look up some reference (for ex. a flamethrower) and apply what you see.
    You also should rework the whole lighting situation.

It's a good start, but there are still some things to do in order to approve...
    Keep it up and you'll surely get there.

cheers!

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ds illustration - yeah i have allot of trouble with that.. hmm i make things boring but ill try thx allot for the paintover.. although the tower idea is gone.. he's gonna sit on a rock

edit : btw.. the back lighting u did.,. mad me realize what i mess i made of the lighting.. thx allot.. ill fix that up to!

yodaah - ur crits.. they're based on the paintover dsillustration did.. and its blurry because it was just to show what was ment

but thx.. i guess lol

Last edited by Joey-b; October 7th, 2005 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think why is torso looks flat is because you have no twisting going on with the spine. Did u ever learn about juxtaposation? (hell if i can spell it). Anyway his hips and shoulders seem to be facing the exact same way. hes got one leg up on that tower which would cause twisting, but i think it would look alot more dynamic if you added some kind of twisting up near the shoulders to compliment the placement of the hips, as well as the fluidity it could create when going towards the head. You might be able to get away with minor reworking overall.. maybe.. but thats what i think might be wrong with that torso bit. I think you got some potential with this for sure, hope you get it finished and lookin sexy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uh.. i never learned anything haha.. i never took lessons but thx for the crit i c what u mean.. ill fix it.. ull c in the next update but for now.. here is my new setting
    far from finished but enough to crit i hope. ./just wanna thank u guys for all ur help

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The dragon's pose made sense when it was pearched on the towers, bit now it seems awkward and unnatural. It's a good example of the problem with figuring things out on the fly, rather than doing thumbnails and sketches so you really know where you are going with a piece.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well i did make a few thumbs.. and this was one of m.. made about 6 bg for it.. and fg's ... and i first went with the tower one.. but later one.. i started to like this idea more so..

but uh why does it look unnatural?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Did some detailing on the moon clouds mountains and rocks.. and played some more with the colors..

im liking it i guess.. that deosnt happen allot hha... anymore C&C plz?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quoteI] yodaah - ur crits.. they're based on the paintover dsillustration did.. and its blurry because it was just to show what was ment[/I]

sorry man, I really misunderstood that. I think it's quite cool like that, also concerning values. The background really suits the dragon, even better than the "city/towers- suggestion".

Go on !

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much better.
    Even though the clouds are more convincing, i'd like to see more depth and character to those clouds, its looking a bit flat besides its silhouette.
    And the platform its standing on, give it a bit more depth as well. Texture layers, bumps, scratches, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much, MUCH nicer. I've enjoyed watching your progress on this. ;-)

One thing that strikes me as a little odd is the light coming out of his mouth. It doesn't look like he is producing it himself, rather like he is holding some glowing object between his teeth. Not that it's a problem, really, I still like the overall effect. Just thought I would mention it. Keep up the good work.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everyone that the progression on this is very nice, and very fun to watch. The good and bad thing about this piece right now is my focus goes right to that moon in the background. I'd rather it be drawn to the main focus (the dragon) but this is still a WIP. You've rendered it very well, and you should be proud of that. Like Mono said, a little more depth in the clouds would be very nice to see. If you put as much attention and detail into the dragon, the rock he's stand on, and those mountains in the back, as you did into that moon, you should be in great shape.

Look forward to seeing the next one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eey thx allot
    i finished this a few days agio already and its posted in this thread

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...067#post614067

i think i did most of the crits u people said.. thx allot

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.