Super confused!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Super confused!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Super confused!

Hi! Im new to this thread and digital painting. I have a small teensy wennsy ps knowledge but i cant seem to blend the fruit and i dont know what to configure the layers as. I will give my soul to the person who either pms or makes a step by step tutorial on this showing these steps in photoshop.
    I hope i am not being to demanding.Here is the best i could do:

Super confused!

See tis a horrible pear. It kinda looks rotten

P.S. Happy Jewish new year

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Firstly, welcome to conceptart.org. Secondly--I would guess that you either don't have a graphics tablet or you do, but you have pressure sensitivitiy turned off. If you want to get serious about digital painting, buy a Wacom tablet and make use of pressure sensitivity.

Blending is harder, but certainly not impossible, with a mouse. Many people feel that the best way to do it is this. Set the brush tool to a low Flow or Opacity setting (I prefer Flow) and pick a medium-sized hard brush. That's right, no softies. Now alt-click wherever you want to start blending, and then start painting in JUST THAT AREA. Then alt-click another nearby area, and paint some more. Keep repeating this process to achieve better blending.

Here's what that does. Alt-clicking a pixel causes Photoshop to set the foreground color to the color of that pixel. So if you have a red area, alt-clicking it will set your foreground color to red. Painting with low Flow allows you to layer the colors subtly, achieving a more complex and fluid blend. Alt-click pretty frequently, and never paint TOO much of one color into an area.

Check out this thread to get some great pointers on this technique and to view others' progress.

Here's a five-minute example of the technique. I neve used the Blur tool or anything; just lots of color sampling and low-Flow painting. If it were my painting, I'd use different colors and shade it differently. I'd also add texture after the blending. But this is just to illustrate how blending looks.

Super confused!

Last edited by Datameister; October 5th, 2005 at 01:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks datamiester! I will try this but i have a question. When i make a sketch and start painting it what should the layer order be?I make all the painting layers underneath the sketch. Also should all the layers be set to multiply or olny the skecth layer?I read alot of that thread nd tried posting there but its closed i think. Ill post my attempts later. Thnks

-Benny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, dude.... the original sketch should be the BG layer.... I personally duplicate that layer then discard the original so that you have full freedom with the bottom layer... after that you duplicate that layer once more to color on... some people use lots of layers but, from what i have gathered here on CA and from some of the pro's they basically paint on one layer so that they get a more natural feel instead of it looking like cut outs... When i blend, and I do use a mouse right now... I have been using both opacity and flow.. I think you really need to use these in unison in order to color properly... also sometimes when i want to blend in something that doesnt want to seem to blend.. i'll take a large brush at very low opacity and touch on that spot.... and it gradually starts to blend... blending is a bitch... its alot of back and forth especially with a mouse but, they are some here who have done amazing works with a mouse.... good luck...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super confused!
    Here is another attempt. I used 44 % flow and 40 sized brush hard edged.All layers have multiply on them. I made a skecth with a mouse and used that as my first layer and all the other painting layers are underneath. I olny used 3 layers maybe thats the problem. Should i have made smaller brushes each layer and made tiny details? Stumped i am I just cant make it looked that blended! Not to be a pain but if anyone has some free time and could help me out by making a tutorial that shows how to do this in photoshop it would be awsome. Should be getting a tablet soon.Oh by teh way im 13. Kinda youngish but ive always been fascinated by dig art.

-Benny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm it might be better :

Super confused!

Still need advice on teh layering and what should be multiplied and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A kangaroo. Still kinda bad

Super confused!

comments would be good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some tips from a fellow novice:
    When you choose your image size, don't start large, start HUGE. I usually choose 25 inches squared, and work at 50% or 66% zoom. Also, you should refine your sketch just a bit. I usually like to draw little amorphous areas to show where a big patch of shadow/highlight is, or to illustrate a change in color. Also, are you using a reference image? It makes a WORLD of difference. Just grab one off of Google Images.

As for brushing, use a very large-sized brush, and use lots of longer strokes. First, try blocking in the main base colors of the pear at like 30% opacity. Then, at like 20-30% opacity, using long, variegated strokes, create color, and different levels of it. Once you've gotten in all your colors, then go about blending exactly as described above. It's not necessarily the WACOM that will give you the advantage, but your technique.

"I do what I please, and I do it with ease"
    -- Martha K. Stewart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm my paintings still dont look as good as peoples on the other painting thread. Im starting to think its becuase im using a mouse. Good thing im getting a tablet soon Gonna post some more atempts tom. or on weekends.

-Benny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's technically possible to make art of extremely high quality with a mouse, but it's certainly more difficult and time-consuming.

Are you saying that you're putting each color on a separate layer with the blending mode set to Multiply? I wouldn't recommend that. Try to only work on one layer. That will help. Only use separate layers if there's a distinct, major object that you need to isolate for some reason. There's no reason to use Multiply in this case, either. Until you've got a lot more experience under your belt, try not to use any blending modes besides Normal.

USE REFERENCE.

As simfonie pointed out, it's crucial. Take a pear out of the fridge and start painting. Seriously. Observation is key. You should spend at least as much time looking at the pear as at your painting. Ideally, you'll spend two minutes looking at the pear for every one minute spent looking at your painting. Observe for a longer time than seems necessary. You'll pick up little details and nuances that otherwise might elude you.

And don't worry about the age thing. Everyone's got to start somewhere. Just do your best and don't tell yourself that being a teenager will prevent you from doing fantastic work.

Here's another example of blending on your work. This time, I laid my tablet aside and used ONLY a mouse. I used a standard hard brush, about size 25, with Flow set to 3. That's right, 3. Then I just did A LOT of alt-clicking and painting around the color boundaries. It's practically impossible to alt-click too much.

Super confused!

Last edited by Datameister; October 6th, 2005 at 12:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thnks datamiester for help i have some hw to do today but i will definetly make alot of attempt on friday. Oh so your saying i shouldnt even put multiply on the first layer? Ill try that. thnks

-Benny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're doing linework above the color (which I don't recommend for fruit, but it's up to you), here's how the layers appear on the layer palette.

* Linework layer. This will either be a white layer (set to Multiply) with black lines, or a transparent layer (set to Normal) with black lines. Either way will look the same.

* Coloring layer. Do all your coloring and shading on this layer and set the blending mode to Normal.

* Background. This will be...well, your background. No fruit.

These are arranged in the order they should appear on the palette, in descending order. If you want, you can paint the coloring and shading directly on the background and leave out the middle layer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do u mean linework? I just sketch the fruit on the first layer and and color it on the second layer. Oh can anyone draw me some simple linework. It could be anything. Reason being is it is way hard to sketch something with a mouse and i have no tablet
    . Hope i can get it soon

-Benny

Oh i have a question. My photoshop says that it cant male new doc becuase the scratch disks are full. Whats that?

Last edited by Benny-DA-Boy; October 7th, 2005 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Could some one answer my question?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, my Internet was down for a couple of days there. I'm back now. What I mean by linework is simply the black outlines that you sketched. I'd recommend placing this on a separate layer ABOVE everything else, with the blending mode set to Multiply. That way, the coloring doesn't overlap the outlines. I'd show you an example, but my other computer is equipped with the tablet, and its Internet is still down.

I'm not sure about the scratch disks--I've never had exactly that problem. But I have had scratch disk issues with Photoshop before, and here's what seems to work best. Go into Preferences (Image menu, I think) and switch the scratch disks to a different drive. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Here's how you want your layers, from the bottom up:
    Background (optional)
    Layer 1: this is where you'll be doing your painting. Layer mode is normal, brush mode is also normal, but play around with the opacity. Start at 50% and experiment.
    Layer 2: linework (if you want it to show), layer mode is normal if it was drawn directly on a trasparent layer, or multiply if it's a scanned sketch or drawn on white.

A full scratch disk error message means your hard drive is too full. You can try Edit>Purge>All (you'll loose your history and undos) or restarting Photoshop. If that doesn't work you'll have to start cleaning out your drive.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My suggestion would be, use as many or few layers as you feel you need. I used to paint on one layer, but discovered the cost of having to start over if you really screw up. I now paint all of my colors and objects on their own layers. I have found that this way gives me unlimited options should I need them...for example if I were to paint a pear and my client said the highlight was too yellow..I could go into my highlight layer and adjust or change just my highlight..It also makes it easy to try different color schemes...in the end the best solution is what works for you.

a piece i am working on for a friend..everything on its own layer

Last edited by Skrunchey; October 12th, 2005 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    having too many layers could be confusing and could keep you from rendering the piece as a whole.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.