Just a thought.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Just a thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Just a thought.

I think the phrase, "...I suck..." should not be allowed here on DSG!

I see alot of concepts, sketches, and rough drawings here that are amazing ideas. Great first stages of somthing that could and most deffinatly should become finished products some where down the line.

You don't suck because your ideas don't come fast enough.
    You don't suck becuase you don't paint/sketch as fast as others.
    You don't suck because your idea is more of a sketch then a painting.
    You don't suck if your idea is a literal translation of what the DSG topic is.

The idea here (at least my interpritation of it) is to get your brain to work. To paint or sketch things you might not have normaly thought of. To share ideas and get inspiration from those we look up too. And most of all to expand our artistic abilities. Saying ...but I suck... is a defeatests aditude. Everyone here has inspired me. Opened my eyes. Made me want to paint better.

I think it would be great to see people here take their ideas that they do for DSG and at some time complete them (time willing of course). Take the time you need. Find reference. Find models. Paint at your own speed. Then post them separatly underneath your original DSG post. I think everyone here would have killer portfolios if we finished a handfull of the projects started here!

Thanks for reading my ramblings!

boehmke
    :waves:

Last edited by boehmke; April 6th, 2003 at 08:36 PM.
    -PHUNT-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First and foremost, I pleed guilty to the 'i suck' stuff... hey I can't help it- I have a low self-esteem ;P I'll try to 'suck' less and draw more

You've got a good idea though bo. After surfing the many digital artist forums I too have been motivated to draw and paint better (to paint at all for that matter).

I just felt a bit guilty posting something that seemed sub-par with what the rest of everyone else is submitting. Luckily there is a wide range of artists, not everyone is a craig mullins yet, and not everyone is starting out. Hopefully I can learn a bit from this experience; everyone is so supportive on these forums

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree. the negativity is irritating as hell. I'm very sensitive...and its not "being humble" its being whiney. I've said it before in IRC; "theres no crying in dsg"

as far as finishing dsg images-
    this is why we need a WSG! weekly sketch group. I think that would help my protfolio a ton. asides, i like being given a topic and a deadline-helps me focus. the point of WSG would be the same as DSG only it would yelid more devoloped images. perhapse not as many people would participate, and i realize not everyone has that kind time to devote to an image in a week. but it would be great for those trying to build portfolio. dsg mentality, but more developed images.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with sic on this one.

Its really easy to feel initiated by the pros.

And its certainly nothing to be proud to claim one sucks– I’m sure most of us wish to stand proud infront of our work and say “woot I did something awesome for a change” but narturally well go back, and compare ourselvs to a pro who spent years pracitcing and long hours of dedicated work.

Its going to take a lot of sweat and blood and long hours to get to the skill set most of the people have here. And to say that you never shared these same feelings would be a lie admit it! hehe everyone goes through the sucky feeling stage.

When I was in high school I would never show my sketchbook to anyone. nada. which is a damn shame since CC is so great..but since I'll never meet anyone here that doesn't bother me to post muahah!

I think its natural to feel this way, if anything it just motivated me to work harder and to push myself to the next bar. If I compared my work to the first time i posted on an art forum (two years ago) I notice a HUGE difference.

habits are never easy to break ... god I su........I RULE!

Last edited by poly_cube; April 6th, 2003 at 09:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

coming from one so whiney

i agree, i havent drawn this much since before college. plus im trying styles and ideas i would never stuck to in my "slowly drone out a single technique" technique.

thank you DSG!

(by the way this does not change my loving spite towards anyone percieved as more talented, or wealthier than me)

Deeyock was here... or here.

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Personally i don't mind the "i suck" stuff, but what really bothers me are the random posts from people that just say "____ did the best here", and comments singling out artists are unneeded. they make users that feel like they did a great job unnoticed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, extremely valid point.

Take myself for example, I am primarily a lurker around the dsg, mainly due to negative feelings towards what I am able to accomplish (as such, I rarely post anything - ok, I've posted ONE thing, and that link was bad).

A WSG would be a good idea, but I thought what might work almost as well would be to have someone make a post as soon as they learn about a topic stating their wish to do a week long piece, though they still should post a sketch after 90 mins. This way people can work on a topic of choice, but still be semi-imposed under the deadline of a week.

We could change around the DSG to fit that in and still have a WSG couldn't we? Also I think that a WSG might be grounds for more complex topics, kind of like a regular DSG topic with an added twist.

Maybe I'm nuts (maybe I su.... er nevermind)

Anyway, I think that the "suck" statement should be banned from the DSG forums :bash:

Well then, okeedokee, right then... rant over.

43north

"And she reads my mind when I'm sleepin, and she always arrives when I'm leavin'.
    Yeah she's blockin up the sun it seems, you're a pacifist with a gun Eileen..." -Sam Roberts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The day I am not frustrated with my work is the day I stop improving. 90% of my DSG's do, in fact, suck. But this does not bother me, as I'm slowly but surely improving. . The only correct answer to someone saying "I suck" is, of course, "no, you don't suck." I'd rather only be told this on the occasion that I actually pull one off successfully. So I try and restrain myself from publicly complaining about my work. Of course, sometimes I think everyone needs to bitch.

WSG sounds like a great idea. Not sure how much time I could commit, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by davi
    Personally i don't mind the "i suck" stuff, but what really bothers me are the random posts from people that just say "____ did the best here", and comments singling out artists are unneeded. they make users that feel like they did a great job unnoticed.
    ???

Positive crit is NEVER wrong...it's the exact opposite...commendations motivate every artist...i mean, everybody knows his level of his abilities...if no one attacks someones images there is no harm...more a gain i would say!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive said "I suck" a billion times. but never about drawing
    we all kick ass around here. its obvious.

-Theo

:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blah

The "i suck" shouldn't be allowed, I agree... but "it sucks" should be allowed, but only if it REALLY sucks.

You know who you are, you have some skills but you say "i suck" to entice people to give you cheer because you really don't... damn reverse psychology crud.

I do not think that we should be restricted in singling out artists who do well. If someone does well, i'm going to tell them, I should shouldn't I? By saying that "UpShift" ruled all imaginable doesn't mean you just said, "everyone but UpShift sucks"... because all you did was praise me, as you should. BWAHHAHAHAHAAHAHA... eh em...

People are too sensitive, damn political correctness.

-me

He who waits to do a great deal of good at once, will never do anything.
    Lucky Numbers 11, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He, thanks boehmke, I needed that

Although the DSG is more a technical practice for me (as a total beginner), your thoughts seem reasonably to me.

What I have to say: please crit my DSG work. I really need input on my level of sketching/drawing/painting skills

cu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I only said "I suck" here once, and that's because I missed a great dsg because I simply didn't show up. That kind of sucks.

But I'm not bothered when others say it, except when it's false modesty (the ol "here's some real quick crap I banged out, I know it sucks but blah blah") - meanwhile the piece is incredible.

And I agree with Fozzy/disagree with Davi, there aren't nearly enough crits on dsg. It's good if someone gets singled out for a great piece, reinforcement from one's peers and such.

I'd like to see someone (moderator, whoever) make a point of critting all pieces at the end of the topic; maybe this happens on IRC . . .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    well i know i type "i suck" from time to time, but its only because i feel like my work is not as good as it use to be, or if im having a bad day, not some reverse psychology...

but i also feel that saying i suck is wrong so i'll write "bad day" instead

2 cents worth of nothing

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    so what should i do, start censoring every post that says it? People are going to still say it even if there is a thread like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NO we must think up something cruel and unusual, like the next person that says "I s@ck"gets a dsg topic of them, well, sucking

90 minutes GO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I openly acknowledge it if I know I'm bad at something. I am assertive about what I can and cannot do, and I do try to improve my skill in those areas.

Since I started DSG, I have improved on eyes and hands, and thanks to a couple of Nimrod's posts, I really had some good references for how to draw cool boots.

But it is a two sided coin. If I'm good at something I'll let you know =P For some people, "I suck" is a way for asking for critique and pointers.

lol, and Grey, I love your idea. It would certainly stop me from ever using the phrase, and I, for one, will try and stop using those specific words in future posts.

NOW!!! To learn how to get a piccy WITH a background in on time for DSG! *meanders off*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with davi about the "Hey <insert famous artist> that's amazing!" type stuff.

I mean... DUH!!!

Obviously they're good. That's what they are paid for.

People, start encouraging those in whom you see good progress, it is helpful for them to know what they are doing right as well as wrong. The DSG is a good opportunity to find out what people are doing well, and what they are doing poorly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what happened to freedom of speech, if someone wishes to say their own artworks sucks then let them. If that affects you it is your own problem. To say that someone can or cant say something in tantamount to playing god.

sometimes people need to admit their own art is not up to scratch otherwise you would never improve. I see faults in my artwork all the time, thats what pushes me hopefully onwards.

Bo**ock's to censorship

:-)

i think a wsg is a good idea though:-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the "WSG", if working on a picture for a week I dont really think it qualifies as a sketch anymore, especially not if the point of it being to produce more "developed" pictures.

Besides, what keeps you from doing a pic with the DSG-topic as a base and then post the pic in either the "Finally finished"- or the "Sketch"-forum, and pointing out the DSG-topic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay...well WSG just looks better than WIG. if we were gonna call it Weekly IMAGE Group. I think the purpose of the WSG is just as profound as the DSG. i mean, whats to keep anyone at any time form just doing a sketch and claiming a theme? we got threads for that already, payback.
    The WSG is a good plan cuase it as i said before, it helps me focus for one. also its just plain cool to make progress alongside other artists-and cheaper than art college and more effective-in my experience anyway.
    The DSG is a wonderful thing, it has proven valuable to so many members of this site already-so why not expand on it and make a WSG?

Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I wasnt really referring to the name of the idea. I just don't understand the idea itself. I see the DSG more like a means to think the picture over and making it happen in a very limited time, I mean it derives from speedpainting. And I think that by extending that timeline to a week in order to make more finished pieces, isn't much more different than just sitting down and thinking out a piece like one usually does, if you know what I mean.

Just out of curiousity, what exactly is it that makes you more focused? Is it that someone gives you an assignment within a deadline?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was meant to be a positive thread. But I guess people see what they want to see.

So many people want to defend 'how much they suck.' Fine. Just a suggestion though...other then just stating that you suck...tell us why you suck. Be specific. Use big grown up art words to describe how much and why you suck. Maybe while describing to us how much you suck...you will see, understand, or figure it out on your own. Or at the very least it will give us a better idea of what you want to change to make you less sucky. :p

boehmke

Last edited by boehmke; April 9th, 2003 at 05:32 PM.
    -PHUNT-

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.