Sketchbook: 3-25-10 - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-25-10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! mentler dropped me a line. cool thanks.
    much appreciated runto, very flattering.
    senbdoij, awesome thanks!
    KC, thanks for the indepth crit. i didn't really think about composition much on this cause i did it from a ref, but i should have made him smaller, if it were about loneliness, my teacher's kinda just like ok your topic is loneliness and you can do whatever. so i kinda just wanted to make him look sad. thanks for the lovely compliments too. here's the ref.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn master P, you've been busy, great improvement since I last stopped in. Love the paintings a lot!!, and your line quality has really improved. Keep up the good work P.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man, your last post of line stuff had a lot of really fun things going on, and this new lonliness painting is looking killer. The gesture is spot on, your drawing skills are definately translating to your painting. The only thing that that stuck out at me was the eye on the right (his left) has kind of a Cable/Stryfe (is that an outdated reference?) thing going on. I do think stuff like that can generalized, but in this instance it just feels a tad unfinished. I love the look of his environment, and your pallette is awesome. Friggin sweet dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work!

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something that Brom said in when asked about photo refs was (and this isn't a direct quote, despite being in quotations...) "Yes, I sometimes use photos, but you can't be a slave to them". Basically, photo references are fine, but (really) whats the point of copying them verbatum? You should take what you need from them, and leave the rest behind.

I don't want you to think that I'm just picking on you... You do great work, but when it could be better, I feel like it's our responsibility as your friends (and members of this community) to tell you that.

Keep up the great work, you help inspire me every day!
    Later.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha i forgot to do the eye yet. oops. thanks a lot Andy
    ArcoNL thanks.
    i know your not picking on me KC, i really appreciate your thoughts, the y make me think. and improve.

hate to not put up a pic so heres a little random head doodlage and what turned into a sp with nice flowing hair. haha.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lack of intelligence and imagination tonight makes me say good work on those paintings especially on the photoref girl. Would maybe like to see you put more time on the shading on the pencil drawings but that's just my personal preference so you might want to disregard that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

good posts here. Liking the pencil sketchs and paintings. Im glad your doing some life, but i would to see a bit more. Remember, life is important, its the best teacher! Do loads i say

Qxzi !!!! 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff going on. Like your last paint the most, although you might have done something from imagination. Pics of you teaching art are interesting. Cuz I'd love to do something similar some time too. (I've been teaching art to a 6year old who had ADD. I was the only one who could make him sit still for at least a minute. So, I know what you mean when saying you got real tired after a while.)
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks o lot placeboast you're definately right about doing more rendered stuff. i gottat set up my room for some good still lifes.

Qxzi - great to hear from you. it's on my schedual.

blacky - not sure what you mean by "although you might have done something from imagination," that. thanks for the comment!! that's really cool that you do that for the little guy.

got a brushpen to practice writing my chinese. and so far i've only been drawing with it haha.

and i found a great reference sight for poses and fashion that i think they should se to putting on the wiki. here's some stuff from it. oh yeah here it is www.herfamedgoodlooks.com/hfgl/Elise%20Crombez/

other stuff

some bird guestures.

and more random stuff

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah this was just supposed to be some gestures of eyes but i did the rest the face instead and it looks funny cuz i did it with one of those magnifying bathroom mirrors.

and i've alwaays wanted to do this (scan myself) plus i haven't put a real pic of me on here.

Last edited by pennington; March 27th, 2006 at 10:11 PM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hah.. i haven't had a chance to look at much of your sb yet.. but i had to giggle when i saw the scan of your face.. great expression, i've often thought of doing that as well-scanner or photocopier... didn't it hurt your eyes??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! amarryth. nah not really. just a mild blindness afterwards like looking into a light bulb.

anyways i was doing my chinese flashcards and thought i'd post a pic of them to see if anybody could give me some feedback on my handwriting. i was really focusing and each character took about ten seconds or less.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pennington, like your self portrait.....
    Time for me to start doing self portraits as well. Tried it once, wasn't really succesful.....

My CA sketchbook

My comfy Sofa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where have I been?!!! I guess it's been a little while since I checked in... Grrrrreat updates, man!

Love the foot on the first one... And the drawings of the girls from ref are just lovely (both technically, and literally...) Wasn't able to check out the site, because my internet "provider" blocked it. Hopefully in the next month or so, I won't be hampered by such trivialities... Anyway, the poses you got there are just wonderful!

The bird silohettes you did with the brush pen are fantastic too. You nailed them!

Hmmm... Crits for today... Nope, don't really have any. Keep up the great work!
    Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ehehe, you scanned yourself... didn't that hurt your eyes? Not to mention steal your soul?

Your calligraphy is nuts, must be that pen... or maybe that I've only written them tiny, but really nice mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, wanted to give a small crit about writing characters. They're all readable, just the stroke quality could be worked on a little bit. But it just comes with practice, as i'm no master at this by any means. I'm not sure if you're already doing this, but you don't want to hold the brush like a normal pencil. The brush should be held such that it's straight up from the paper. I can't really explain it without showing. And just take your time with each stroke. Other then that, just keep practicing them. And it's definitely cool to see you learning this difficult language. I'm having trouble with it myself and i'm Chinese! Cheers dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pennington,I'm not gonna get all artsy fartsy on you now but I have to say you have a really great line.Some of your drawings are very stylish.Keep it up and well done on the teaching thing that must have been hard.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though you lost the energy to finish that sp the shading is looking good. It is really easy to tell that within a year you'll be one of them guys with five stars here. If you keep on drawing that is. *stilts*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pennington - hey man, agree with the character comments from zord. but good going, especially if thats your first time. what helped me though is just keep on writing them out, just quick with pencil, while at the same time saying them in my head.

like your self portrait scan by the way.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice developments from the start of this sketchbook. Like the Inked Birds up the top.Like the self portrait too.But, uh.looking into the scanner isn't gonna do much for your eyes budy...:]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Awesome.

and also,
    SUBSCRIBED! you are going to get sick of me, :p

keep up the fantastic work bro, your devotion is inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow you guys are so generous! nine comments! i think stunts like the scanner thing gave me some publicity, haha or at least a reason to comment.

arco thanks! yeah you should deffinately do sp's!

thanks a lot KC! i'm glad you didn't really have any crits, but since then i've had a terrible time drawing things accurately. bummer. and a funny thing about the birds i did is i couldn't tell if they were bats or birds or both. the bottum one looks like a penguin tho, haha.

idiot apathy, it's great to hear from you again! thanks for stopping by and looking at my soul.

thanks alot zord for the help with the characters, made it a lot easier.

thatnks for the compliment on my lines. when you gonna put a link to your sketchbook in your sig?

wow placeboast you think i'm within a year of being 5*'s that's such a great compliment! oh shoot! i forgot, dang i was gonna draw some stilt's for you in this next update. ohwell next time.

tensai hey, appreciate the kind words!! yeah that helps me memorize the characters too.

sybo - hey thanks, nah man the scanner isn't that bad, beside i only did it once! :]

guggen - thanks! a lot!! see you later.

ok so like previously said haven't been too thrilled with my skills lately and this kinda shows. been way inconsistent, and i feel like i'm forgetting soo much about stuff.

so i did some skulls from bridgeman

and some random stuff to help me head stop hurting when i had a headache one day. yeah and i found that when i have trouble going to sleep cause my mind is racing too much, if you just trace shapes in your head it takes you to some pretty cool places.

was pretty happy with this one

this was a study on rain for my friends project then i found out a really easy way to do mountains chinese style.

some stuff i helped my friend with.

deitrich(sp?) doodles

some friends

and some blind stuff.

photoshop practice

Last edited by pennington; April 3rd, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean... I think that's an issue that most people have. Like I say: Two steps forward, One step back. I kind of think that this is our brain trying to synthesize a lot of new information... like that dang hour-glass on the computer, and it can't do anything else while this is happening. Then all at once, you bust out some stuff that's waaay better than you ever remember doing before... And it's consistently better, too. Chin up young soldier! Things will get better again!

Also you're right about the penguin, LOL!

Okay, so the first few are rather uninspired... I can tell your heart just wasn't in it. Then there's the rain. The splashes are pretty nice, and the misty mountains really do look pretty good, especially for just messing about. I'm not even going to talk about the girl in that one... I'm guessing she's only about 3/4 of an inch tall (if that), so I'll forgive you.

The picture of the girl ("Shine on me") is really quite lovely. She probably could've used a few more darks in her coat, to help ground her, but you did a great job illuminating her face... She looks very... umm soft? Is that a good descriptive? I mean it in the best possible sense of the word. The next page of girls are really nice too. No real comments there, though.

Those blind contours are beautiful! I know it's frustrating, not feeling like your "real" drawings are successful, but sometimes we have to take pleasure in TOTALLY NAILING our excercises. Keep up the good work man. Relax! It'll all come back!

Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the encouragement! the shine on me girl is wierd. i gave it to my friend to do what ever she wanted with it and she painted the hair and the collar of the coat and not the coat itself. but here book turned out real good and she got an a+ on it so she's happy. but thanks a lot.

here's some painter work, real happy with it i need to do more like this and slowly make it mor challenging. wasn't really trying to get the shadows perfect.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah!!!! i just realized that i have four stars! when did that happen and who made it happen so i can give them some love. anybody? i never really knew how the rating stuff worked so how does it work?

thanks a lot guys!

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN! You're as productive as that freakin' GreenSocked kid! Ha! Lovin' these lines, man. I'm really eating them up. Occassionaly you get some really, really nice stuff outta 'em. So this is what Zord is going to look like as he moves along and progresses? I see some of that line in him actually. Good stuff. Keep the ref work up and keep drawing from life. Anatomy helps are always good too. You're really making some kick ass strides, Pen. Keep at it, bro.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gahh! i love your sig.... i don't know why i didn't see it before!! it's really nice to have another believer in the midst.

love your art skills... hopefully i can find time to comment on the pieces (work now). ttylman and thank you for your kind comment (yes i know the cop's flat, i realized it after zooming out, but then i was too tired hahaha)
    beblessed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for droppin in zeb. yeah i gotta start studying anatomy more. don't really know what you mean about zord i mean we're both good in our own ways. but thanks a bunch for the kind words!

and matt thanks for the double post, haha. and thanks for stopping by.

today's sps and stuff.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SUP DOODY. We're talking online right now but i'm going to drop you some respec' in this thread anyways. I'm really digging on the blind SP's, gotta do some more of those myself. And I definitely agree with Zebz, your lines are improving fast. Now let's see some pencil and textures! Layer them shiz. I"m really digging the page with the half face showing the lips and beard. You've got some nice details going with directional lines; wouldn't mind seeing more work going in that direction. Well, keep it up man, and i'll try to lend in hand in Chinese whenever I can. Cheers.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2