Sketchbook: 3-25-10 - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-25-10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i was inspired by kness with the colors on this.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors on the newest drawing are just lovely, (You know, I'm still not sure how I feel about that word, but it is such a nice descriptive...) it really helps to fill out the drawing as a whole, and gives a little more depth... I just wish you had retained some of that beautiful line work from the initial drawing.
    I checked out Kness' site, and he (she?) has some beautiful work with a similar type of pallet as Bengal (maybe it's a french thing? Giovanni's is very similar too...). One difference I noticed between the piece that you did, and his (her?... I'm just going to say him, unless someone actually corrects me. Does that make me a jerk?) is that he used a hard edged brush most of the time, while yours is softer... You might try the paint brush instead of the air brush... What kind of difference would that make?

I'm glad to see you working so much, and on so much variety too! Wow, keep it up, man! Some of the sketches have little issues, but you're obviously working that stuff out, and getting consistently better.

Like I said before, your linework is just beautiful... you do still need work on rendering the fullness of form, though. Line work can only go so far towards giving depth.

Keep it up man!
    Later.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks KC i'm working on my rendering. i just wish i had someone to workwith.
    yeah TFK the teaching was pretty fun, but hard. i'm gonna do some drapery stuff soon. i was thinking about doing it on tuesday but i had to go out somewheres to do erands.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Minneapolis and kansas city occassionally
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you've got some really nice quick linework going on. pretty gestural, and very different. some of the paints are aight, though they are definitely quick and could be pushed further, but great starts for sure. nice lighting on the environment with the light and trees. would be nice to see a really developed job on that. keep em up.

-cburt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, your lines just keep getting better, love to see that's you're angling the pencil to get some line quality out of it. That can be really tough, keep pushing it! Noice, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, dude! Some great stuff here today... I especially like the work you've been doing on cars lately.

You're making me look bad...

I've got to do more work... At least try to keep up with you!

Catch ya later!
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, these are looking really good. your seem to have a really good perspective on your drawings. sll of the figures are really well done and you did a really good job on the basket in teh newest one. keep it coming man!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mr. pennington! whats up man? you have updated a lot since the last time i checked your book out. have to keep track better.. nice sketches lately, love this one most
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3man/ned01.jpg

keep it up man

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cburt - thanks for the kind words. i'd love to push my paintings further i just don't know how. so if anybody's got some tip on the how to of painting i'd be much appreciative

tfk - you're always a blessing to hear from! thanks.

andy p - yeah i just made a breakthrough with the pencil. trying to use less mechanical and more 4B

kingcoyote - hey, i could hope i never make you feel bad cuz you've got so much! i think you're better than me at tons of stuff. but you better be workin hard.

mitch - thanks a lot! it's always great to hear from new people

tensai - hey thanks. that one's one of my favorites too.

ok so i've been kinda tired of updating. not drawing just taking the 2-3 hours to upload all my pictures. but i'm back. and with perspective. been wanting to get into comics a little so i drew a floor plan of my room with all its mess and then made some snapshots of it. didn't post them all tho. now i just gotta figure out a story. oh and work on drawing people from diff angles.

so some figures

and some heads

and my room

and a music case

and some hands

my friend just randomly did that on the counter and i was like ok hold that for a minute so i got the perspective of the counter down and then did a quick gesture and filled in the rest after he got down

and some painter, but i'm kinda sketchy on detail and technique of painting, but i'll stop whining. it turned out pretty good. crits welcome!

dang but i don't know why they are too small. poo...

Last edited by pennington; March 13th, 2006 at 03:40 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that android in the first page?

This update is awesome! great job man! Each new image just wowed me again!

With the painting... Have you tried copying the linework onto a new layer on top of all the color work? At worst (What I mean is, even if ultimately you don't want the line work to show...) it will still give you a point of reference for the rest of the paint. As you may have seen already, it's not like I know a whole lot about the whole digital drawing thing either... yet.

Keep it up. I think I'm going to add a rating along with the fat kid...

Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys i don't deserve any stars. i don't even have any concept art on here. but thanks for the props. KC, i did put the linework on top it's just to small you can see it better bigger.

oh well here's some concepts for a comic page. still workin on it.

i wish i could show the detail this took two and a half hours. jeez. but i learned a lot.

Last edited by pennington; March 13th, 2006 at 09:53 PM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i SEE SOMe REALLY BEAUTIFUL FIGURES IN HERE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit man, I haven't stopped by in a while and you been dropping bombs all over the place! And let me say, your linework's improved tenfold. It's really really nice, gotta get me some skill like that. Which store was it again? Oh yea, the 'spend lots of time no social life but improve skill massive ultimate' store. Digging the studies too, more! And keep up the good work man; just wanted to give a boost of encouragement like you've done for me. Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, really good progression here. I especially love your watercolor stuff, you should do some more studies with that.

keep them coming man!

I my girlfriend & my book of sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The house is great! As usual, your linework is A+! There are a couple of things (like the basketball hoop) that you didn't seem to sure about, and kind of stand out for that... But the rest is so solid, really, that I think we can forgive that.

I thought it was funny that you said you don't have any concept art on here, and then in the next sentence, you say that these are some concepts for a comic you are working on! Ha-Ha! That's great! I (Personally) don't feel that this place is solely about concept art... It's more than that, it's about growth and community too. The rating is (at least to me) about great work more than anything else, so don't go thinking you don't deserve it!

Oh, yeah... What legacy said. Totally do some more watercolor work. It's tricky at first, but there was a lot of promise in what you've posted so far, and it could go sooo much further!

Take care, and be good.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys too tired to reply, will later.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great things are beginning to take shape in here. Dig this page http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3man/ned01.jpg
    I assume that's Jessica Alba on the left. Is the girl on the right based on an actual person? A similar head turns up several times. For rendering form, and lots more, check out KChens figure drawing thread in the tutorials section.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sabe2003 - thanks a lot!
    zord - i have a social life! jeez... no really i do! and thaks for the encouragement! much appreciated. stop by more often.
    legacy - thanks. maybe some day with the watre colors. i've been wanting to work on my values a bit more in grayscale though.
    KC - thanksomuch! i was outside and it started getting cold so my hand was really shaky and i didn't want to try and fix the hoop.
    armando - not sure what you're talking about with the girl on the right, from left to right its jessica alba, ueta aya, and then some chinese woman i saw looking at a chinese news site and i liked it so i tried drawing it. so yes it's from an actual person but not real life, just picture. and i've only drawn her that once. thanks for the kchen reminder i'll check up on it.

so here's a tribute to the King, i was really trying to use hatching to shade this kinda like steaktron, but i'm obviously no where near his skill. would love some crits on the hatching!

and some gestures from school

more kinda i filled this out more tho

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh. did some more. been unhappy wit my head drawling skills lately so i done a couple sp's makes me chuckle every time i look at it. ha

and i got drawing with pen and ink by guptil for christmas and i been just starting to read through it more. an try out some stuff. i've got a few pages of lines but i'll spare you those for now. no pencil on this one so i have to think a lot harder

and i was thinking about easter today so. happy easter. “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He is risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid Him. But go, tell His disciples—and Peter—that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you.”

Last edited by pennington; March 17th, 2006 at 02:02 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha-ha! That SP is a chuckler. Nice expression there... I also like the value study next to it.

That ink drawing is gorgeous. Her neck is a bit on the long side (I think you may have done this unconciously to make room for her scarf) so watch that, but the line work is just lovely, and her hair is really well handled too... One other thing that I notice is, while the hatching defining the values of her face are really well handled, the transition from her head to neck is a little iffy. It makes her look like she has a Barbie doll head (unless she actually does have that type of head... In which case, good job!).

Keep up the great work, man!
    Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff man! keep it up! you seem like a cool teacher. I think you should practice a little bit more of pen & inking! the drawing of the woman is pretty sweet. Do you do gestural drawings? you should start making tons of them!

later,
    GRiNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kc - thanks for the tip about the neck. i noticed it when i was drawing her she has a really long neck in the picture but i overdid it.
    gringoloco - yeah i need to do a tone of gestures. i'm working on anatomy a little more right now. i need to get some regular pens and start drawing with pen more.

quick thing with a two-tone sp and some color.

and some stuff from the last week. guy was drawn with my left hand cause i was eating with my right. pretty fun.

random car and some aliens from a book i read in elementary school don't even remember what it was called.

stuff done while watching tv. i'm suprised my memory is getting good. any body tell who the middle top guy is?

value stuff and a random girl no ref.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your sketching style and your portraits look solid. Congrats on the teachy bit you did.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great update man! Sorry, I don't really have time to comment right now, but I'll try to get back tomorrow!

Later!
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, just dropping by to show more love. Your lines are showing more confidence, a huge improvement from when you first started posting here. I'm liking the sketch with the van, it reminds me of an ending scene to a movie, where the main characters drive off into the sunset... or something like that. And I already mentioned this to you earlier but the guy drawn with your left hand is impressive; do more of that! The quality of the gestural line is good. And then the next thing you know you'll be using both hands at once. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot guys. zord thanks for droppin in. means a lot. i was gonna draw with my left hand again cause i was eating greasy fries but the katchup was on the left and i unconciously eat them with my left and drew with my right. oops.

here's my first oil painting ever i did it in september '04

and my second from a photoref dec '04 both this and the last were on canvas about 16x20"

these i did this last december on 5x5" boardstrying to tell a little story about depression and loss. the only reason it didn't get into the student art show was b/c one of the teachers has a thing against suns being in the corner. but i didn't want it in the art show anyway b/c there aren't usually many good pieces in the shows and i didn't want it sitting at the school all semester.

and this is a wip on the topic of loneliness. would love some crits on it.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡ BoneDaddyBoogie ‡‡‡‡

Saw the teaching gig <> once I went to a High School thinking I was presenting to one class and presented to six <> wore my ass out <> keep painting and drawing <> good things are happening.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love all of your sketches, they have such a nice looseness to them and are so natural. That last painting is coming along nicely too it seems, you can definitely tell you're improving from your other paintings. The contrast of the light and dark looks really good too. Looking forward to seeing updates on it! Just curious, is it a photoref?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like most of your sketches, i like the loose side of it...
    and that loneliness painting is awsome!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Pennington! It's always (okay, not allways but every now and then it is...) nice to see older work. It really gives a sense of how far we've come, but also it helps us understand where we're coming from... You've come a long way in two years (not to mention the last couple of months!), keep up the great work!

This last painting is technically pretty sound. The forms are all solid, and your marks are just lovely. My only crits are compositional ones... And I'm not sure you're gonna' like them... sorry. Thinking about lonliness, I feel very small. That's one of the things about it, you're all alone in a big world. I feel like the figure should be smaller. It's important that (he? I'm going to stick with that pronoun, so please forgive me if I'm mistaken...) he remain the focal point of the painting, but he should also, I think, be dominated by the rest of the picture. Also, I felt like he should be positioned lower on the picture plane. Really let the space at the top of the picture press down on him... Lonliness is not only a feeling of emptiness, but also a tremendous burden and feeling of seperation. He looks sad, but I just don't know about lonely.

Like I said. There's a lot of great things going on in this painting, but I don't know that it's reading how you want it to.

Keep up the good work!
    Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2