Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-25-10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! hey thanks a lot!
    here's another

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. I see what you mean about the eye sockits. It really adds a lot more form to the face... more peaks and troughs, I guess.

The latest update is pretty good, but it looks like the side of his face that's closest to us is totally smooth... like he has no cheek bone, you know? The girl before that seems to be suffering from the same sort of problem, but in a more general way. By that, I mean that it's more of an "all over" sort of a thing. Were these two done from photographs? Assuming they were, you seem to be forgetting some of the things you know about form and light as you copy what is in the photograph.

The page with the girl sketches has some great stuff on it. I like how you're experimenting with foreshortening, and extreme views.

Your hands are awesome!

Later.
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow, great improvement

wow, really awesome improvements in these last two sketches. I can see you put a lot of time and energy in them. kingcoyote stated some really good points about the faces lacking a little more depth. I would add that the torse of the last sketch seems to be really big for the head or the other way around. But huge improvements man. Way to work hard. Keep em coming!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thx for droping by at my sb. Yours is quite interesting actualy. Am stunned by all the iprovement, specialy on last 2.
    Dig this one from last page too. Its the fleshtones at neck ear and forehead that you captured real good I'd say. This one's nice too.
    Would like to see you do somthing with paint some time again.
    So long...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, i'm liking the last two rendered pieces. You captured the expressions quite well. The Peale copy is done well too, thumbs up. Keep up with the studies and do more self portraits! Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like ur portraits alot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot guy! wow i've never had this many replies before.

kingcoyote - thanks . they made a smiley just for you! haha. yeah they were done from photos with the flash in all its glory.

darktwin - thanks, yeah a lot of 2o'clock-in-the-morning effort. boy i shouldn't do that so often. i'm really pretty new at shading so i don't really know what to look for exactly. this thread pretty much has all my shaded drawings. thanks a lot though.

blacky - thanks i like the painting of the girl too, she was my first oil painting. and i did another yesterday just for you.

zord - thanks i'm doin as much as i can, which isn't very much cause of school and work and church, but i'm still workin at it.

quicksketch - thanks

tfk - i'm lossening up a bit. i'm trying to do one shot poses of my friend when ever she'll let me.

so here it is. oil paint#5 wip

crits greatly welcome cause i don't really know what i'm doing

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok here's a couple of gestures.

tried to do this with only describing shadows.

these i did upside down! i find it amazing that i unconsciously mad the proportions and stuff reasonably well.

Last edited by pennington; February 9th, 2006 at 03:03 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was going to say the same thing that fat kid said... About the painting I mean. Other than the issues with the black, it's a really lovely (and by lovely I mean... um... okay, it's really good) portrait painting. Is lovely even allowed? I don't know... maybe I've been saying that too much lately. I'll need to keep an eye on that. Sorry. Oh! If you want a richer black than you can get out of the tube, try mixing ultramarine blue, and burnt umber. It makes this really awesome (I almost said lovely) deep, cool black. Honestly, I don't even own a tube of black paint anymore, the closest I get is paynes grey.

I really enjoyed your quickies this time too... the discriptive shadow works, and I think it's partly because you were looser with it, and also it's not overdone.

Later.
    KC

P.S.That smily was pretty funny...

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks tfk for the advice about the black. and kingcoyote it's funny you mention that cause that's what i did, i mixed ultramarine blue, and burnt umber. i don't have any black either. i only have a few tubes: red, yellow, blue, sienna, umber and white.

kinda forgot i was working on a "whole" painting and got into the details of the face too early.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some "notes" from class.

a tree at school, wish they weren't so darn complicated

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi pennington your oil paintings are dope .. did you finish that last one yet? keep it up :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killer stuff dude, love your line work. The painting's really nice, the last update might look a little too dark/cool. You already said it but working it up as a whole will be able to let your see if things are getting too dark or what needs to happen temperature-wise. I liked how there was more yellow in it before. Can't eait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks zulle you got some major skill yourself and andy p thanks a lot for tips! you've got a ton of great paintings!

a tribute to zord. mah blind contour.

got my friend to pose for me i'm really trying to work on drawing the whole body now instead of just heads.

and a random nobody head.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    last weeks chow.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good you finally did your first blind contour! Now just keep doing'em. More self portraits, more drawings, more everything! You can never have enough. I like the tree that you did, it seems like you might have spent more time on that than on other things. The figures you did in short spurts [2 min./5 min.] are getting there but it'd be worthwhile to just slow down and concentrate. It can get tough sometimes but you just gotta do it. Keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quite a nice book you got going here mr pennington!
    i especially like
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...323man/aya.jpg
    (because she's hot!) and
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Sarahoil02.jpg
    she has a bit of a black eye but i think you got very good 3d going. also i like the expression in this sketch:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...3man/cindy.jpg

keep it up man!

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    learned a little som'm som'm in ps i really nead ta get a tablet

somemore blind contour sp's they're fun stuph!! i like how random they turn out. it's hilarious!

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh snap! I love those blind contour. Now I gotta do some tomorrow. TO cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last blind contour is really good! With more practice, they'll start getting closer and closer to what you're actually seeing. Doing those is really great training for your eyes and hands.

I also really enjoyed your timed figure drawings... overall, they worked out really well. The hands on the bottom one are just beautiful, I wish I could do hands half as well as you do. Ah, well... I guess that's another goal for me, innit?

The CHOW sketch is pretty funny... I actually considered that shirt too, it just cracks me up! Ha-Ha!

The tree sketch is a nice start. Yeah, they are complicated, but they also follow basic anatomical rules, just like people or cats or houses or whatever. Once you have those rules down, they get easier (not that I can draw trees or anything). One nice thing about them though is they won't (usually) get up and walk away before you're done with them!

Later
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep yep, fun stuph!

got tired of thinking on this one about the shading. boy does that take a long time for me and boy do i sound like a retard. haha

this one i'm having a little trouble with the robe and i couldn't find any refs

oh hey tell me if these are too big. i just like seeing the detail.

Last edited by pennington; February 15th, 2006 at 02:02 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trying to stay regular. and going for one "dump" a day. for a while at least.

i feel like i really "stink" when it comes to value so i'm doing a bunch of things trying to get values down right.

Last edited by pennington; February 16th, 2006 at 01:20 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pennington, good to see you working and posting!

you need to loosen up. a lot. stop rendering your forms so much. you need to work faster and focus on the gestural quality of the form.

gesture isn't so much speed as it is attitude.

the way i work when capturing a form is to think about economy of line. i look at the figure and ask myself "if i only get one line to do this entire drawing...and it can't double back, it can't cross itself, it has to be a smooth line with no sudden changes...where would that line be and how fast would i draw through it. would i change speeds? the same? does it curve this way? that?

then i ask myself...now what if i get 2 lines? then what would i do?

and so on

so that you start w/ such a very general emotive line...that what you do is simply refine the negative space the more you work as you add more and more expressive lines until you get to the point 'now if i have 1 line to define this eyebrow...2?3 ? how exactly would i do it?'

but you have to work in and out very fast. look, find the emotive line, see the paper, prep the pencil, draw it fast and in a huge sweeping motion and get the pencil off the paper and look again." repeat, repeat, repeate.

if you want a great ref book check out this:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/059...lance&n=283155

keep drawing!
    -apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gray scale in the last drawing shows that you get the idea of transition from dark to light... You understand this concept intellectually. Why then, do all your renderings turn out gray?

You have a pretty good grasp of where shadows fall, but for some reason they don't "work". I'd like to point out first that I'm somewhat hit or miss in this area myself, so this isn't gospel, but here's a couple of suggestions...

1.Get a graphite stick (I use 4B) it looks like a piece of charcoal, but is made out of graphite. You have to hold it differently than a pencil, so it forces you to work loosely (This goes along with what ApolloNuevo said) and allows you to get the basic forms very quickly, and hopefully, accurately. Work out your details and begin your values with a hard lead (I start with 2H usually), and then work up to softer leads gradually refining your shadows and details. Work with the idea of a gradient in mind. Work kind of big too... It's hard to detail a little bitty drawing...

2.Start with a rectangular graphite area that youve made an even mid-tone of grey. Again, draw in your basic forms very quickly, and then work out your details with a hard pencil... Now, using an eraser, pull up some highlights by erasing away areas of the mid tone. Then get a soft pencil and deepen some of the shadow areas. Working back and forth this way allows you to get comfortable with the lights and darks in your form with out worrying quite so much about the other stuff.

The first suggestion is pretty much how I usually draw. I'll do an example of the second suggestion and include it in my next dump. I hope this stuff helps. There's also a nice (and more concise than this) little tutorial on value, and rendering form on the last page of ZebsFree's sketchbook. I found it really helpful.

Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow thanks apollo - sorry, didn't know

here's a guy in the caf today

and a chair from an abandoned japanese place. really cool reference stuff if you haven't checked out the c.a. wiki yet.

more from the refs. a WWII fort maunsell

hey apollo are these gestures ok. what could i be doing diff. they took about 2 min each and i had to do them from ref cause i'm all alone in my little room with nobody to pose for me.

here are some guns that i was just practicing putting down values.

and a few gestures. apollo you really helped me out on these and i kinda got carried away on the last one

Last edited by pennington; February 17th, 2006 at 02:10 AM.
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heylo. Nice SB! I really like some of those portraits, some of them have alot of character. Keep doing more of those ones.

Keep it up.

Phil

Phillip. Designer, web developer and artist.
    Check out my website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome oil painting, you got those colors so well on your face. The only thing im noticing is this huge difference in line quality from your paintings to your sketchbooks, as I'm sure you've heard a thousand times (and i should listen aswell) you should be more confidetn in your pencil strokes.

keep updatin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pennington,

much better gestures! get yourself a kitchen timer and do several pages at 30 seconds, 1 min and 5 min. you're catching on!!

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally. The gestures show a marked improvement man! Just keep practicing at them, (along with the blind contours) and eventually they'll become second nature. (I guess I need to practice what I preach some too, eh?) Good update man. Keep it up.

Later.
    KC

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys! i preciate it a lot.

got some extra credit project work for biology. i'm making stages of how southern california used to be under water and how it changed and that's why we have sea creatures fossils in the mountains here.

an old one trying to make aya ueta into a toon.

a little guy(age 8. ) i know did a portrait of me in my sketchbook.

at the olivegarden

some random stuff

more random stuff

i'm really happy with this girl cause i did the body all in one stroke. i was practicing using different pressures with my pencil on the hair

and b/c it's prez day a little bush

now i started getting in to some still drawing and imagination stuff

more

and a value study of my sweater puppet

my sketchbook

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2