Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group - Page 59
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 59 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 109 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,770 of 3690

Thread: Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artifex33: Cafe Istanbul is on Lawrenceville highway after the car dealers, round about where the Indian strip mall is. Mmm hookahs.

Mardi Love kicked my ass, bless her! Seriously, I was walking like a paper doll yesterday. Everything hurt. LOVE that!

DC: I think we might want to consider the possibility that handing out those lovely cards and spreading the word might, possibly, be just as effective as having a table. Hell, go to some panels and ask to make a little announcement at the end. Whatever works. If trying to man a table with so few people is going to take the fun out of the con for members, is it worth doing?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since we keep talking about cafe constantinople and the pubcrawl thing...

Why not decide on a saturday night in april (the 21st perhaps?) and go there for a joint dinner, then we'll move on to the pubs (found out about a couple of good ones recently) probably in one or two cars max. Noone will have to step up to the plate if we discuss it here and get the details ironed out. once this ironing happens i can drop an official notice on the listserv and see if anyone on there is down. So... lets talk bars, etc. I figure ease of parking and... uhh... scenery are the main things we need to be careful about. i'm thinking va highlands / midtown or perhaps even little 5points. i'll go ahead and volunteer to be sober and designated driver.

md--> walking like a paper doll... eh most of us catls that hit stone mountain experienced something similar after the big fun field trip ... also:

nf—> gonna have to bail on the tool show unfortunately eeek too very $

all—> thank grendel grack, because she's been emailing the dragon*con folks on our behalf about getting a table. it's great to be a part of something like this where driven people collaborate on missions and stuff. thanks everyone for keeping the momentum going! MOOOO!!!

gug

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm down with a date with ya'll on a Saturday, just so you know I do kiss on the first date and I don't like too much gentlemenly behavior

Cafe Istanbul is prolly a lil bit out of the way for a food+pub night. There's lots of great food in midtown/VA.

Manuel's tavern on North seems to have decent parking. I'm fond of Surin, but it can get loud and crowded and not so friendly to discussion or drawing. There is always Apres Diem + Highlander. Any other suggestions?

Also, I need to know what's up with the rocks. We didn't have rocks on the interstate in Florida. If you needed a new windshield, it was because someone got really bored, as you often do in Florida, and decided to smash it. But a rock? Come on people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MonetDances
    I'm down with a date with ya'll on a Saturday, just so you know I do kiss on the first date and I don't like too much gentlemenly behavior
    Haha. You've got to watch saying that around here. There are a few group members that might suffer from heart palpitations with that kind of talk...

Quote Originally Posted by MonetDances
    Also, I need to know what's up with the rocks. We didn't have rocks on the interstate in Florida. If you needed a new windshield, it was because someone got really bored, as you often do in Florida, and decided to smash it. But a rock? Come on people!
    My rock experiences in FL are limited to dump trucks. Long commutes across the Howard-Franklin Bridge or I-4 with 20-odd dump trucks slinging all manner of nasty bits of rough material at your windshield...

All: I'm game for whatever on the pub/bar/club scene. Just so long as there are lots of colorful drinks, a place to work, and enough people to keep one or more of you away from drunk dialing me in the wee hours of the morning when it's all said and done...

"Doll Face? Can I call you Doll Face? Dude, I love you man. You know, I just wanted to let you know that, right? I love you. And your head is shaped like a giant ostrich egg. Dude, how did you do that, man? A frickin' ostrich! OSTRICH! That's a funny word..."

[+] AD - for endearing comments of love and sympathy, call Wes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright, everyone....We are officially part of DragonCon! I just got a confirmation e-mail from the fan table director. We should be listed on the reservation list in a few weeks after they update the site. So, here is what I found out:

1. We can't sell prints, but we can offer CATL promotional materials for an optional donation.

2. We can't have refreshments due the corkage restriction in place by the hotel.

3. The table needs to be staffed during activity hours, we can pack up at night and then set up again in the morning. So, when it gets closer to the con we can make a schedule for table shifts. Also, it is possible that I might be bringing a few people from NC with me, so that will help to fill things out (especially on Friday).

4. I think it would be a good idea to see if we can get donations from local art stores, printers, etc for promo supplies like stickers, buttons, posters, flyers and what-not. I work for an art store here in NC that gives donations all the time, so I can get some drawing materials that we can offer for free. That will be a good way to encourage people to draw with us at the table.

This will be mind-numbingly awesome. DragonCon attendance is regularly over 20,000 people. It will be a great way to meet new artists, recruit some new members, and hopefully get some donations for future activites.

I know we still have quite a bit of time until the con, but the more we can get done now, the better. We can at least continue brainstorming.

Thanks Everyone!

Last edited by Grendel Grack; March 26th, 2007 at 05:34 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    grack—> awesome!

all—> ... so... i'm having problems getting into the swing of drawing here lately... don't want to sound whiney or anything, but i guess i'm having some kind of a creative block. Trying to rework the way that i sketch and it's been something of a disaster. Basically am trying to do more squinting in my observational lay in phase. at some point in time recently (probably post rice completion) i took a break and would like suggestions for how to get back in the swing. Drawing for fun is usually what does the trick. will do that + whatever you guys suggest. well, within reason.

cheers

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    ...i took a break and would like suggestions for how to get back in the swing. Drawing for fun is usually what does the trick. will do that + whatever you guys suggest. well, within reason.
    Ah, it happens, man. I took a break post-ROTO as well. But, only because I'd just burned out my artistic energies for February/early-March and was spent...You need the time to recharge, find your motivations, and get inspired...

I'd just take this time to think about where you've been and where you want to go...Keep experimenting, but don't pressure yourself with expectations or a search for clearly defined results...Just play...

Personally, I get motivated by reminding myself that March 27th, 2007 is almost lost...I have 12 hours to make something happen to steal this day away from the doom of eons...I want to be able to say, "I made this day a good day..."

Remember, as Hanky Rollins says:

No such thing as spare time. No such thing as free time. No such thing as down time. All you got is life time.

[+] AD - fie work! fie!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks 5T31N9ER... have been sketching with some pencils / pens, starting to feel a little less shaky. actually i'm pretty sure the rest of today will be valid because of the mini being a highlight for fun / production this evening. Cheers!

all--->
    mini tonight be there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to miss the mini tonight, but I'm worn out from food poisoning. Lovely, eh? And I came to work anyway! Whats wrong with me?

Got a fabulous snail I wanted to draw too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'll most likely be there from whatever early time i show up till about 8.30/8.45?

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I don't pretend to hide the truth:

I am a complete loser for zombie flicks. Hell, I have a Top-5:

1. Dawn of the Dead (Zack Snyder of 300 fame)
    2. Shaun of the Dead (co-written by Simon Pegg)
    3. Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini can make monsters AND tell them what to do...)
    4. 28 Days Later (Danny Boyle - Shallow Grave...Trainspotting...I know most of you haven't seen Trainspotting yet and - quite honestly - it breaks my heart...)
    5. Zombi 2 (Luccio Fulci - oh, just too good to pass up on a Saturday night...)

So, somehow I managed to find myself under a rock for the longest time and have completely been out of the loop with the next installment in the UK excellence that is Danny Boyle's production of 28 Weeks Later...Not only does it star the remarkable Robert Carlyle (Begbie from Trainspotting - you gits need to get out and see this film), it's got a new director with a new vision...

Check it out: BRAAAINS!

[+] AD - no, the Thriller video does not count...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face heh...

...after tonight's mini i feel more over my slump: Definitely thanks for uhhh... not freaking and disowning me from the herd. it's an occasional pasttime eh

more importantly spending some time busting out studies for the AlienO project was massively rewarding.

wow! Allen "Teh masterful gravediggin' thunderdome victor" and Carrie the awesome animator, Our new potential CATLs from the DA side of thangs, definitely email me so i can add you guys to the CATL-List. Hopefully we'll see yall maybe next tuesday at the boozer doodle event or at the mini after that back at borders dunwoody.

remember sketchbook independence day is coming up.
    CINQUO DE SKETCHO EL DOS!!!

j/m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Her lovers queued up in the hallway...I heard them scratching at the door...
    I tried to tell her about Marx and Engels, God and Angels...I don't really know what for, but she looked good in ribbons...

BOOZER DOODLE! It's closing in fast and there was talk about securing a table for the event. Well, taking point, it appears that if we want a table (what they're referring to as a VIP table), we have to be in the possession of a VIP table ticket ($15)...

This is confusing as hell, because on the ticket site, they have only general admission and the VIP Table - Table ticket...Does that mean we have to purchase an additional ticket to reserve a table or we purchase that ticket alone? Hmm...I'll be calling the Vortex this afternoon (when they open for another evening of tater-tot-infused debauchery) and sort out the details...Stay tuned...

Advance tickets include entry plus a shot of Zeltzer Fantastico’s “Creative Juice.” That sounds like 20 kinds of Vodka to me...And if it isn't, then I'll be passing out Analog Doll's "Elixir of Inspirational Delights"...Which is 20 kinds of Vodka...and a splash of Grenadine for color...Not to be missed...

[+] AD - ROTO/AOA Fiend...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    might have someone who wants to roll out there with us.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

oh i... almost forgot:

MonetDances! We hope you are feeling better! stomach viruses are the worst. I had a little puck-inflected bug late last year that really messed me up for a few days. Yuck!

cheers

j

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; March 28th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just for you AD, check it.

Monet: digestive sickness is quite possibly the worst way to become ill. I had a stomach virus that put me out for about two months one time. I lost like, 15lbs (which isn't a good thing). It sucked, horribly. We feel your pain.

Guggenheim: Whenever I get artists' block, sometimes it helps to take a break from drawing/painting. Perhaps you could try other creative activities such as sculpting, printmaking, book binding, flower arranging - whatever you think might help to expand your creative abilities. Trying something new might be a good way to look at drawing/painting from a new perspective. I personally like handbuilding with clay or sculpy.
    Another thing that might help is to simply sit and observe. Look at things as though you might want to draw them later. Focus on light, color texture. But don't draw, just look and absorb the info. After a couple of days of this, my mind is filled with new ideas, textures, compositions, etc. It's very refreshing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

jobops

thanks gg! your and 5T31N9®'s thoughts were both extremely helpful!

this just got posted to the atlanta animators list, seems like a good opportunity though it isn't a paying gig.

Howdy everyone...

I'm producing and directing two short films for upcoming contests.
    One is a Star Wars short film for the LucasArts/Atom Films annual competition.
    The other is a Battlestar Galactica contest being sponsored by SciFi.
    The winner of the Star Wars short contest will wind up being shown at the big StarWars convention in May in Los Angeles.
    The winner of the BSG contest will air on the SciFi channel after an episode of BSG sometime in the future.

Both projects have enormously tight deadlines.
    The StarWars short has to be completed and uploaded by April 30th, the BSG short a month later.

I'm hoping to find people interested in working on the following:
    Visual Effects, including Lightsaber rotoscoping, blaster pistol bolts...
    Particle Effects, including bullet hits (in trees and dirt... can't afford squibs!).
    Digital matte backgrounds of cityscapes on Corellia and Corsucant.
    Digital matte backgrounds of the interior of a BSG Cargo ship.
    Digital exterior space shots of the BSG Cargo ship.
    A composite shot of a starwars style ship taking off from a swamp area.
    Star wars style Hologram effects.

I can, and will if I have to, do all of the above.
    But if you're interested in picking up some of these shots, please contact me off list at (omitted... can forward to you as necessary)
    Effect photography (for the Holograms) gets underway tomorrow.
    Principal photography for both shorts gets underway Sunday (and if you want to help out/watch, let me know!)

There is no direct compensation for these projects, just credit and a copy of the final work.

Additionally and quite ironically, I just got back from a visit to Industrial Light and Magic.
    Details of which can be found here: http://www.atlantafilms.com/cgi-bin/...num=1175048782

Michael

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AD/All: I'm definitely planning on the boozer doodle. Any fees or early registration for the VIP table are fine by me. AD, let me know what comes of the call to the venue.

Good to see everyone out for the mini Tuesday, though I think MonetDances (heh! I typo'ed "MoneyDances" there the first time!) must have heard I was going to show, and came up with her mysterious malady to beg off attending. All those rumors about me keeping severed heads in my freezer are wholly false--they're severed hands: much less a cause for alarm. Besides, we all know Joel's the one who keeps the stray noggins in the deep freeze (or was it Trevor...?).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post this just in from ad

... apparently he isn't able to access the forum:

So, I've been trying unsuccessfully to log into the boards for the last 30 minutes. If you can get in and put the word out for Boozer Doodle:

In order to reserve the table for the event (or teh event, if you're uber kewl), we need to purchase the $15 ticket in advance. So, if you can spread the word that we need to get our tickets now for the BD show and those wanting to attend need to purchase the ticket listed as "VIP Table - Table"...

Yours spited by Our Lady of Bogus Logins,
    5T319® (doh ascii characters)

there's a post by j manley in the support section... ca.org is getting hit more and more each month.. they're working on upgrading apparently. support

j (POST # 1800! 27.555% of ALL my posts have been in this thread. Weird. also roughly the same percentage of my posts total in here)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really was ill, though I'm sorry I missed anything to do with severed hands. They do make good models.

I'm all better now. 12 hour bug.

Tyler got regular tickets for us both--he said that VIP appeared to be sold out. So. Uh. I dunno. I'll be there, but i'm wondering if we should just get there really early to get a table together. Then we can get prematurely boozed up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggs: another great way to explore and expand past blocks... it worked for me last night! SUBTRACTIVE OIL PAINTING!!!

... you guys can expect a series outta me now! I found a niche I like... LOTS!

Plus... more pen and marker and ink coming up from me!

let me know if we need to all be buying tics beforehand... I gotta get myself set as well as hook a friend up with the info.

Monet: Glad you're doing better--- anything stomach is the least tolerable of all maladies...

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

two important things:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!(<— that's 30 "O's")
    PAGE THIRTY ONE. pg. 30 lasted a pathetic 8 days!!!

I did two 20 minute speedpaints tonight and actually ended up not too unhappy with them! Grack, FAE, Steiner: Seriously guys: I owe you for your generosity in providing tips!!! After the mini tuesday night and now the painting class my case of the pthalos has become more akin to the ceruleans. Special Guggenexclusive: I got to hang out with The E this afternoon briefly before my painting class and he cleared me to begin work on the masks series for the old ALIEN-&#216;. I loaded up his saddlebags with a few copies of ROTO VONE NONE and of course a personal pan parcel of CATL-PROPAGANDA cards. Rest Assured, like our active North Carolina CATL-extended Family, The CATL Spirit is alive and well in NorthWest Georgia! MOOO! (more about northwest Georgia in just a moment, heh... )

1.) I love you guys! Seriously... I've always wanted to have a group like this to work with, and now that it's been going on a while we're all growing artistically and the fellowship grows richer—> I'm humbled to be a part of it and i'm looking forward to the new and exciting things we're going to accomplish together. Spring to summer promises to be a richly rewarding time, so let's make the best of it! Having a group like this that's motivated toward improving together, teaching one another, developing the artistic comraderie, it's very creatively fulfilling. Just thanks, that's all. Keep on the CATL-Trail folks, the momentum ball is rolling and it's up to us to keep it going that way! Here's to continued Artistic fellowship and a growing community! cheers!

2.) ZOMBIE MOVIE IN ROME GEORGIA. Tammy met the guys who are doing it ... She'll have to fill you in on the details, etc. but from what i understand they need creative help. Looks like something is going down in roughly 2 weeks. My parents live in Rome, and i'm sure they'd be happy to host us for a visit, even if there are 5-7. there's plenty of floorspace, and we'd definitely carpool to make the affair cheaper. I still need to touch base with them, but i don't see it being an issue at all. What a wonderful way to get a personal tour of ROMEGA from yours truly and be a part of something that will ignite the creative flames. There's an extremely creepy ex factory / antique mall we can go to (if there's time) to help me deal with the nightmares i have about that place. Some of the filming will be happening in cemeteries, and a good portion will be going down at an empty school building. Sound like a blast? Damn right it does!

2a.) continued: The detail ironing will be moving along lightspeed on this one, so if you think you might be interested in the FIRST CATL ROAD TRIP, PLEASE join in the dialogue here!!! Suggestions, Questions, Ideas, Thoughts, ETC we need to get this puppy figured out. My thoughts are that we gather on Friday night, have a quick dinner in town somewhere, then embark on the journey towards Rome. Unless anyone needs to be back sooner my thoughts are that we'd head back towards the CATL stomping ground Sunday afternoonish. But then i'm an ish abuser, so we'll just see. It's roughly 75 miles from atlanta. the trip, because of traffic, etc. will take maybe 1.5 hours. Because this is my home turf i'll take the burden of planning and coordinating/promoting/organizing this 'un in addition to the cinquo de sketcho fest. no worries, this is an INCREDIBLE opportunity for us! 8)

jgug

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; March 29th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GuGG: Re: ROAD TRIP. Do you speak of this weekend or just a weekend sometime in the near fututre? Either way, I suppose I'm down. Two nights seems like a bit much though. Friday evening through Saturday night seems sufficient to me. I'd be willing to do the driving if necessary. (I promise, no more crazing driving maneuvers)

So, I'm going to the Aquarium tomorrow. Anyone want some pics of something specific?....besides large breasted women I mean...that's a given.

Idea for mid April event. Medieval Times anyone? Jousting and feasting and whatnot. Drawback: Tickets are $47. just a thought

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kid Koala at Drunken Unicorn tomorrow -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxhk-cWQbrs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK...

I guess I owe a report back!

So... it was a nice Thursday evening... and I had time to kill 'tween work and breaking, soooo I headed to the 'Bux for some doodledrawing time... guys next to my table were talking about film stuff... I kinda ignored it all (eves dropping without appearing to care?)... lucky for me before they walked out (after getting up to go), they decided to compliment me on my art and then wanted to see some stuff...

we got to chatting... they were like, "yeh we're about to film a zombie movie..." yadda yadda "in rome"... i was like (FLAG!)--- "Rome?... at some school? I heard about you guys!"

and then... bam. we were chattin' bout it all... and I may be able to get involved with all this! I told 'em 'bout you all and how stoked you guys would be. Basically, I've been invited to go up and draw while they're doing their stuff and filming.

The question "Do you draw zombies?" came up and the reply was, "... in fact... I did a digital painting of one... and it's on our site... so here's the address". Propaganda. Hah.

Anyway, so I didn't catch the complete flow of what's all up, but I may be able to do some art/design stuff for 'em and told 'em to send stuff over my way if they needed help. Low budget and all, ya know. And I told 'em I might not always be able to say yes, but I def. got peeps to pass stuff along to.

And... they were really cool. And I was starstruck... with non(yet)stars. Oh yes. Starstruck.

...Ben: I'll click the link now =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tammy—> What are the exact dates?

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the tentative schedule for the filming of the Zombie flick:

Once extras are selected, they will be called to confirm their availability for filming April 9 through April 14. Shooting begins right after Easter and will continue into early May.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926063/ - yeah, there's the IMDB link...

Seems like they're a little late getting the pre-production art taken care of, if they kick off so soon. But, a zombie movie with a budget is better than watching a few kids with dad's video camera and a bowl of red cornsyrup for blood...Or, is it?

I'll tentatively sign on. But, my Easter is spoken for. Anytime after that, and with Sarah's permission (who will undoubtedly want to roll along, schedule permitting), should be 5x5...

[+] AD - Homecoming zombie attack? Where haven't I seen that before?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... ok look.

i hate to be the damper on this whole ordeal...

but I also hate being the person feeling squeezed in an awkward situation... and I almost feel like it's getting close.

I really wanted to fill you guys in on this and all since we've talked about it and it seems kinda up our alley, but at the same time, I met these guys briefly... we talked briefly... I don't know what they're looking for fully... or if the main thing I can pass along is an opportunity to go draw zombified actors/actresses...

Soooo... yeah... I'm totally stoked that I met those guys (the two listed at the top of the imDb site), but at the same time, I don't wanna choke 'em.

I dunno... just my thoughts.

Joel: I don't know exactly exactly what's going down and when.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I see...I see...Message received...

Here's the Ah-Ha! moment everyone...

Still, a trip to Joel's family pad...A tour of Guggenwonderyears in Rome...A chance to hang out with Motyka and David (the Romega Power Couple of 2007)...Dining in some of the finer establishments that Northwest Georgia has to offer...That'd be fun...But, only if I can get one of those white t-shirts that's all shredded to pieces (with faux blood splatter accents) that proclaims:

I survived Guggenwonderyears Family Tour 2007!

[+] AD - believes Tammy WANTS to choke people...with her own angry claws...ARRRGH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... just don't wanna bust you guys' bubble if things don't do down as large and exciting and open to us as it's sounding here... nor do I want to overwhelm them with too overly-excited artists. =\

... I don't know how it'll play out... so I'm coverin' my butt =$

Page 59 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 109 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3