Page 56 of 246 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 106 156 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Chiming in:

Triple-H: If you're interested in other places aside from GSU, let me know. I've got a contact at Georgia Tech I can call upon and if Guggs doesn't know who to speak with at UGA (being an alum), I can get Sarah to work her UGA network to put you in the hands of the right people...

If money is an issue and you're thinking about biting the bullet and going with a non-art-focused school, there's always an MFA to consider...Maybe even a PhD after that..."Good evening. I'm Doktor HarHar. I'll be painting your liver this evening..."

And, if anyone tries to tell you that what you're doing is wrong and you're going to ruin everything, just jab them in the throat with the point of your thumb and then stomp their cynicism out on the pavement...There are plenty of successful artists that didn't have "a proper art education..." We'll support whatever you decide...If we need to have a CATL carwash to help with the tution, I'm sure we can get a few people together to help out...Although, hiring ourselves out as international art assassins would be way more interesting...

Wesifex: Yeah, there's that Starbucks on the right, heading towards 400 from Le 'Bou or the left, heading towards Le 'Bou from 400 - I believe it's across from a Wendy's...[Edit: Shit, I may be thinking of another one - not the one you mentioned above...Why are there so many damn Starbucks?]

Guggs: Excellent logistical magic in the above post...Just props for organization...

Fae: Joke time: Knock, knock...

Fingerless: I hope your above reference was not in favor of beef jerky over homework...'Cause if you're sittin' in your room until 2am, unwrapping Beef Stix, and debating which is better - teriyaki or bbq flavor - then you're in for a rough exam ride...

[+] AD - working on his calligraphy...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Adoll- I decided to look into GSU at first because a lot of people told me that for a non-art school they had a fairly decent art department. Heh, it's going to stink actually having to take "real" college classes, but I'm willing to suffer. I also have this hankerin' to try my best to stay in Atlanta. I really enjoy the city, and I really enjoy knowing everyone I know up there. If it comes down to it, I'll go whereever the best education I can get is, but I'd prefer Atlanta.

And I'll PM you your first job as an art assassin later tonight. Look for the PM titled "Planning your dental health with little or no arbitrary or religious troubles."

And if you get that PM, I surely didn't send it.

Thanks
    HHH:

thoughts on school stuff:

gatech: not gonna give you a finearts ed... you can look towards design, but that's 'bout it... product design, aka industrial design.

state: they'll give you hell supposedly while you try to get in. No, actually, they just won't help you at all and you have to push for everything. They supposedly have an illustrationish program tied to maybe their graphic design one? not positive... I was also looking at GA state.

kennesaw: if you're looking for east coast "let's learn to render well if you got talent to learn it", they do a decent job. They promote submitting work into art shows and actually get some of their students well into the atlanta scene if the student works towards it.

UGA: i don't know much but I have heard they have a good painting program.

SCAD: Why's the tuition more??? I thought according to some people they said for you guys they would match the tuition and by giving you guys a scholarship to balance it out???

AD: ...uh oh... 'who's theeere?'...

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    I did the barstucks research--> The starbucks at Mansell rd. and alpharetta hwy. closes at 11p.m. My thoughts are that we move there for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion Wes! Isn't this starbucks 2 stories? Hopefully there will be more foot traffic there.

UGA is not too bad of an option, though my own attending courses there was kind of as a last resort. Their graphic design program is actually quite good and a bit hard to get into. One of the illustration teachers in particular was very, very instrumental in my own development and in my push towards getting better at drawing. I studied scientific illustration which, though challenging, has proved to be quite invaluable in my professional endeavors. SCI-ILL definitely put the "discipline" into "interdisciplinary studies." Once more for emphasis and because it sounds cool, i said "professional endeavors." The drawing and painting professors are mixed...some really good, some let you do whatever you want, which i'd contend isn't the best for your development.

really, your education is what you make of it, remember that... one part your school, and three parts pushing yourself to brave, new, nissan frontiers™. haha. anyways, by the end of my (insert quantity here...hehe) X years at UGA i got sick of the town... In the late 90s early 00's there was a whole hell of a lot of really exciting stuff going on... seems like the culture and music scene there now, is... in my opinion, a little bit stagnant nowadays. It's a decent place to go to school, but I got trapped there and it was a struggle to get out.

my push, at least coming out of high school was to get into a really sweet program and study painting. financial and issues (thank goodness for the hope grant, btw) ended up spelling out that u.g.a. was basically my only option, and i have no regrets whatsoever. I've seen some really stellar stuff come out of there, but also a lot of crap, but unless you are at like art center, or some atelier somewhere probably that's a ubiquitous kind of thing.

joel
    Last edited by guggemmaneuver; September 11th, 2006 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    it's not two story, unless i'm just blind and never realized, but it's a nice area, right near a chipotle, etc... and yes, i have gone there during lunch numerous times, though not lately. it's one of the bigger starbucks, so that's nice.

since it'll be open till 11 and you guys will be there till close, i'm thinking i might actually depending on workload, be able to drop in... hopefully.

Thanks
    hey guys, if you haven't seen this yet... definitely check it out... a painting by elwell re: 9-11...

Fae--> i'm not sure if everyone else is going to be down, but at this time it seems like this would be the place to move the CATL mini festivities to.

adios all... i've got color changes to make.

j

Thanks
    Thats fine with me.....and chipotle is the place for some sweet-ass burrrrrrrrritos
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    AD: I know the s'bucks you're talking about. It's in the same shopping center as the Awful House just a few doors down towards 400. The one Gugg's talking about now is past the caribou away from 400. first major intersection is Mansell/Alpharetta Hwy.

nofingers: gotta love those head-sized burritos over there. might have to drop in for one of those and a brew

Thanks
    thanks for the clarification artmasterfex! oh i got some web questions to ask ya tomorrow night.

K here's the spiffy new digs mapped google maps to clear up any ambiguity...

Also... check out how hot we now look in the Local Artists group thread!

and a screen capture, below.

Thanks
    What is this about CATL having a mascot?!

Thanks
    hmm I'll be taking a class at SCAD and I finish around 4pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays those days are good for me...I come all the way from Marietta. Let me know...so what time and where is the meeting place tomorrow right? sept the 12th
    Last edited by the_allejo05; September 12th, 2006 at 01:48 AM.
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Yep.....we have been meeting every tuesday night....pretty much a standing meeting. With a look at the above map, the green arrow is a starbucks at the north west corner of Alpharetta highway and mansell rd. We try to get there around 7, so just look for the sketchbook toting wierdos, we are always welcome to a new member

All: This is one of the rare opportunities for you to se me up before 7:30.....I'm on here instead of working......well....back to work. Depending on my state of mental awakeness, I will see you guys tonight
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    allejo, marietta's not too bad (well... depends on what part of marietta you're coming from, actually). I live in Marietta (on the closer-to-roswell side) and that's not toooo bad... but if you're near Kennesaw... that's a bit more rough..

Thanks
    allejo--> sansfingers is right on the money with his map mention. Yes--> you should come out tonight...our weekly meetings are a lot of fun. I'll pm you my cell number if you need any last minute info or thereabouts, feel free to call me for that. Plus you'll have to fill us in on what's going down @ scad, too. exciting exciting, exciting, hopefully we'll see ya tonight!

everyone else-->i'm the late/ oncall artist at work so i'll just have to get there as soon as poassible.... hopefully i can get there by 7:30 or thereabouts...but it may be as late as 8pm. apparently with the advent of september the isht has hit the fan around here...and even across the company...ugh

see you all tonight!

guggz

Thanks
    so... yes to the starbucks location, right??

... i'm falling behind with school crap, but currently, i've kinda just ignored it and not cared...

which means i might really make it tonight =O

Page 56 of 246 FirstFirst ... 6 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 106 156 ... LastLast