Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nofingers
    Is there any place to eat down there?
    Yeah - we're going to have to put the CATL logistics to work on this. Wes scored high for landing us a restaurant so near a Boders with solid seating...We'll have to do our best to replicate...

http://www.atlantaciviccenter.com/location.htm - this is a map of the area surrounding the civic center. As I'm still in the process of sorting out this place, I'll let someone more familiar with the city toss out dining suggestions.

Also, does anyone have any idea how crowded this gets? I heard talk of selling limited tickets per day to keep the traffic to a minimum. Can anyone back this up? Should we consider rockin' this early?

-AD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nofingers
    There is a good chance that I'm in for some flayed sketch action. Is there any place to eat down there?
    Sure there is, if you like beef jerky...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, Wes's choice worked out tremendously good.
    hehehehe artifex

ok, here's what i know about bodies.
    i've been to this thing twice, once the crowd was very light, once it was a little heavier;

parking is $5. as far as the crowds are concerned, i haven't had any problem walking right up to the box office and purchasing a ticket (& they DO take plastic). markers, pens, pencils, all ok...

the exhibit is very spacious, so there's a place for you to stand and work as long as you don't mind the occasional person walking in front of you... most people are nice; fortunately they're more interested in the bodies than in your drawings, though i've experienced a few exceptions

You'll want to walk through the entire exhibit first and take it in, then backtrack and draw work from a few that you were impressed with or that demonstrate areas that you want to study. This will give you a feel for how things work and you can get an idea of what you are in for and be brainstorming about your pages.

as far as dining suggestions... this is close to midtown where i know a ton of cool places that we could go. my idea would be to go early, draw for 3 - 4 hours (believe me, it will fly by once you are in the exhibit with your mind being blown.). The civic center is in kind of a bad part of town though... not so much that we should try to walk to in my opinion. boulevard = scary.

I'd also like to be done drawing by 6 or 7pm because i'm going back home to visit mom .

call your momma by the way. tell her you love her.

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that the civic center is reasonably close (4 blocks) to a marta station, and since i live near one myself, I'll likely take that, since it is easier, and i can save 5 bucks on parking. I'm in for going early to beat the crowds though, since weekends are always busier.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ideally we could all take marta together = more sketching time... the lindbergh station dealio worked out super well... maybe us roswell / alpharetta / sandysprings kids could meet up at the station a while before actual time to be there and draw on the way down.

that way our drawings will pwn EVERYOne elses

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    early though. like getting together 9ish or 10ish. insane yeah, but would give us a good start on the traffic and more time to draw all around.

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm game for early Saturday and meeting up at the MARTA for a train ride. From the comments I picked up this afternoon, tis not a bad idea to journey en masse from the MARTA station to the Civic Center...

"Eyes forward and keep moving. Whatever you do, don't stop moving..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, let's say, errr... 9:30 sharp at north springs station and we can coordinate by cell phone the night before as necessary. I will be on thyme this time, and on time too, as there aren't any nasty - work-layovers on my offday.

can't wait!

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guggen, I saw your piece on the vector challenge. I bow to your bloodthirstyness. Clearly, there needs to be a special sopt for blood and vomit gore. Make something else with lots of blood so I can vote for it. I'll be back later. It had better be ready.<menacing look>

Last edited by Grendel Grack; May 10th, 2006 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shucks grendel, thanks!!!

since you are coming home this weekend to see your mother you should go to see the plastinated bodies exhibit with us ... it's going to be a so-called real cool time.

shouldn't you start a sketchbook in the SB section? I'll subscribe for the low price of $39.99 for 12 updates a year--> what a deal!

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggen, my friend, your one tenacious fellow. I have to say I admire your attempt to lure me down to ATL. I also have to say that you will be waiting a long time, so don't hold your breath.

Does that mean you'll pay me to see my sketchbook? Damn, I'll take that offer. Let's see what we have here, hmmmm. Ok, I'll post something.....there we go. Enjoy. Don't forget to pay up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If Joel is willing to break the iron seal on his wallet for sketchy goodness, I start a hundred fuckin books. We are quickly approching our centennial in posts, so thanks to everyone for supporting the group.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack
    I also have to say that you will be waiting a long time, so don't hold your breath.
    Contrary to popular belief (and most scientific studies recorded in acclaimed and respected scientific journals) Guggen can hold his breath for an insane period of time. For those of you who are unware that "insane" is a measurement of time: Insane can be as quick as a splinter in the toe or as long as that time you were holding that thing you really wish you could let go of, but knew you couldn't without embarassing yourself ("thing" of course is entirely subjective to your collection of life experiences).

That said, we'll expect Grendel Grack to arrive long before Guggen finally passes out from the lack of oxygen...And we expect she'll bring a goodly number of sketches to share with us...

930am Saturday? Well, I'll have to put my late night bouts of 3D work aside for an evening and tuck my butt into bed at a reasonable hour...I'll be the dried-eyed "morning face" zombie by the token machines, fumbling to get his quarters into the slot...

Edit: Because I forgot to mention this before: Guggen, you got robbed on the Vector challenge. While I enjoyed all of the pieces submitted, I was certain the formula: [trash talkin' jive/solid vectoring skillz + self-insertion/bloody chainsaw bear = big score] would have played into your favor...

-AD

Last edited by AnalogDoll; May 9th, 2006 at 09:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Point noted, and quickly disregarded. Perhaps he can breathe through dermal osmosis, like an amphibian. Or maybe he doesn't need air at all. Perhaps he thrives on the fear and hatred of others, hence the trash talkin' and bloody chainsaw bear. The fact that he got hosed on the vector challenge is proof. Everyone realized the extent of his power, and in an attempt to thwart the absorbtion of thier collective life forces, they ignored him. Little do they know that Guggen still lurks in the depths of the CATL sketch group, pondering, plotting, and watching, waiting to strike. You people better watch your back. At any given moment he could bust open a metric shit-ton of whoop-ass, and totally obliterate all vector art.

That takes care of my random rant for the day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys are weird

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    weird like a fox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by goatrape
    Actually raping goats is a job i have on the side, it is quite profitable...and fun

I love going to the zoo, once i get my scanner up and running i will post some stuff...thats why i havent posted anything yet. The reptile house is awesome, i love reptiles, i have 2 geckos at my place. But my favorite part is the petting zoo, although i am now banned from that part Well i have my membership until august so the offer still stands until then (i cant afford to renew it after that), i will periodically post and let you all know when im going in case anyone wants a free visit

I have a ball python. Her name is Stampy. She's about three feet long and eats live rats.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sketchbook is on.

Guggenmaneuver: I was looking at the wrong page before on the vector competition. I guess that's what I get for trying to sneak in concept art time at work. Anyway, I voted for you.

Last edited by Grendel Grack; May 10th, 2006 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    was fun guys, sorry i couldn't stay too long. we'll do it again... with more food... and sugaaar.
    (gosh, chauncey was the only one who took up the offer to help me eat my bag of skittles that first time around... made me feel all bad and like a sugar addict...)

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello CATL!
    So, Trevor, Eric, Chauncey: I will be calling later this evening (thursday) to confirm the plans for saturday.... can't wait! hope you guys are ready to get some serious sketching done. Eric has already promised me that he's not going to outdraw everyone.

Everyone else chime in if you are interested in coming along for some amazing, inspirational educational vivisected rubber people. (Bodies: The Exhibit @ the ATL civic center.)

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooray for exploiting the dead....not they they can care about it anymore...hahaha. I hope I can dredge myself from bed in a timely matter so as to be on time

Joel: You never told me you were into the chainsaw S & M....I wish I had known...we could have had so much fun...hehe.

See you guys saturday

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grendel Grack- Why did you name your python Stampy? Is that in reference to the simpsons episode where bart gets an elephant and names it stampy? Just curious Thats pretty cool, i like snakes quite a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You got it, goatrape. My friends and I were sitting around trying to think of a name and we had a simpsons poster in the bathroom. Needless to say, one of them went to the can and screamed "STAMPY" while on the john. It was perfect. It's always nice when other people can understand inane pop-culture references. After all, I was raised on tV. That's all the life experience I have. I think my friends and I successfully communicated for an entire day using only "Mall Rats" dialogue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fae: What? There were Skittles offered? When did this happen? Super-human hearing...failing...powers gone...so weak...so...weak...

Guggen: I'm breaking my promise. TIS ON, CAPULETS! I've got a sketchbook hungry for the dead and I'm not leaving until the mutha is full!

Nofingers: I expect to see a picture from Saturday entitled Hard Play Rubber Hose Gimp appear in the Sketch Thread...

G-Rape: You're helpin' keep the thread alive. Props for activity.

GG: Your use of "can" and "john" in quick succession got a chuckle out of me. "I have no respect for people with no shopping agenda."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK.... errrr.... i was going to call but i fell asleeep like a chump and now it's after 10pm. errrr.... i'm lame sorry. tomorrow then? Who needs a 40 page UK or NY thread when you have a VERY FRIGGIN active CATL thread?
    (hearts)
    j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Analogdoll: I have no idea what that means, maybe you think I'm someone else......although I'm not really sure which one you are, so no worries...anyways, my sketches from don pablo's were crappy anyhow....But I'm getting good at still life and life drawing and shit, and at bodies we have the ultimate version of "Still Life," so it should be sweet.

Grendal Grack: snakes scare me.....AAAAHH

Joel: No worries with the phone call. This time next month I will be reading the 1,000th post on this shit, Sooooo.......FUCK YEA CATL!

trev

EDIT: Hooray for recycled paper sketchbooks.....new models now come with drawings in them. Not only am i the only one using them, but I have TWO....booyah

Last edited by nofingers; May 11th, 2006 at 11:28 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Nofingers beat me to the post...I know who you are Trev...Oh, I know...Only one man bears the Earth-Bound Sketchpad in this town...

Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    OK.... errrr....i was going to call but i fell asleeep like a chump and now it's after 10pm. errrr.... i'm lame sorry. tomorrow then?
    No worries, man. You're our Blood-soaked Warchief, not our diaper-changing Den Mother - you call us when you damn well feel like calling us...And we will answer with all the trepidation and trembling your office deserves...

Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    Who needs a 40 page UK or NY thread when you have a VERY FRIGGIN active CATL thread?
    Oh, the activity has just begun. Do you taste that? That's me 45 min into an evening of pixel-moving and synth-pop groovin' 3D activity....Right now, I'm "working" over the delicate curvature of the inner ear...

Tonight's unnecessary verbal assault on 3DSMAX: BUGGER ALL YOU BLOODY GIT!

Trust me - I'll be checking back in on you kids later...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Analogdoll: Thanks Shannon Hamilton, Just trying to keep my vocabulary varied. You don't want the conversation to become stale. Ask Guggen, I think I had three or four different words for vomit in a sentence one time. You know, kind like "if you hurl and I get a whiff of it, I'll spew. And if I blow chunks the chances are other people are gonna honk." Someone's bound to catch that reference.

nofingers: It's too bad you don't like snakes. They're really interesting animals once you get past the phobia. Of course, if you ran into a three foot python in the middle of the woods, it would probably send you off running faster than Walt Flannigan's dog.

Blood-soaked is cool, but just remember who's gonna save your ass when the incontinence avenger strikes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel Grack
    You know, kind like "if you hurl and I get a whiff of it, I'll spew. And if I blow chunks the chances are other people are gonna honk." Someone's bound to catch that reference.
    Definitely Wayne's World.....What's my prize?

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmmm, let's see. In the event of the Rapture, you'll get to steal whatever car you want.

Page 3 of 123 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3