Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group - Page 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, just ignore me.

KAAAAHNN!!!!!!....

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so here's the situation so far:

1) H-cubed's plan to collect all of the Guggenaming conventions has been usurped...

2) NoFs has decided that he'd rather spend his time cataloging the various psuedonyms we use for one another, rather than working on his sketchbook...To which I say in my best "Naw'lins" accent:

"Hell, boy - them trees ain't gonna paint themselves!"

3) I just so happen to have some experience with the creation of copy for small, postcard-sized marketing initiatives...As part of my CATL Homework for the week (aside from preparing my rendition of Boy George's "The Crying Game" to unveil in the most inappropriate fashion at our next outing), I'll crank out some sample copy and place it safely in the little, Keebler-elf hands o' Guggs...

As for posting up our email like that (here, let me do it again: CATL@gmail.com), not only are we inviting wanton abuse, but I don't know if it's wise to have a central email like that...Who has access to it? Who doesn't? Who, like myself, will begin having all of his curious member-enlarging and "stronger, more powerful now!" spamages sent there?

I have a feeling, not unlike Wes' friend, Fingerless reads my email...

BTW - paid off my car today. 5 years later, she's mine! SHE'S MINE!

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell-Has-Hobos: Sorry about userping your attempt to catalogue our colorful use of pronouns. All of efforts will soon combine to create one of those Japanese-Saturday-morning-show-like mega creatures and do battle with aliens and such, so as to combat the evil forces of Not-using-silly-nicknames, and the residents of Munchkin Land will be singing our praises.

Anti-Depressant: Congrats on the final acquisition of an automobile. *puts on mudshoes in anticipation of forest decoration as per AD's request*

I thought it would be good to have something that we all have access to so that Joel didn't have to do all the work. We shall figure out a plan that is acceptable for all. Upon further consideration, why do we need a common email?....it seemed smart at the time.

NoFries

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

big news!

http://catlsketchgroup.org = Ours!

guggenmaneuver

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are we the internet now?

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nofingers
    Are we the internet now?
    Now? When were we NOT the Internet? As far as I can tell, the only things that matter in this realm of digital detritus are expanding on the curious list of names we have for Guggs and finding a way to support our CATL site without having to host "Meet Sexy Singles In Altanta Now!" banner-style ads (that's a joke, of course...or is it?)

Well, glad to see on my near-12-Night break that things have steadily progressed...That's the one thing about us CATL Kids: our "you called down the thunder, well, you've got the thunder" way of following through with what we decide to do...There's no half-assing it here, folks. This is where the magic happens...

So, in keeping with Joel's idea of postcard-size handouts, I've been working up some language to fill about the quarter of an 8-1/2x11 sheet of paper (front and back, folks - because to use one side is just bad marketing). I figure we can maximize our effectiveness by cutting the page into quarters.

I'm not opposed to halfsies, and if someone would prefer that speak up (so I can throw some more colorful adjectives at how I describe our mini-meets)...

I'm guessing we're going to want to arthouse this thing up, but I didn't know what we'd like to use for the start. Having seen Joel's rocking Android head that has not-as-of-yet been published, I thought that might be just the eye-gouging thing to get someone to step closer to the flyer and potentially - dare I say it - touch it...Thoughts?

+AdverbDisorderly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm glad to hear that my pencil sharpener is at least still alive and kicking.

Crystal had the appendectomy Wed. evening, hence my absence. As you can imagine, she's been pretty sore and has had difficulty getting around by herself since, but she's feeling a lot better now that the troublesome little appendix is gone. I'll probably be taking care of her for the next couple of days as she gets over it.

Sucks to miss the mini-meets, so how about you guys post what you did on the fridge? Then I can grab some joe from the kitchen, put on some seriously bad music and pretend like I was there for a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good news wes that they got that bugger out. and that she's feeling better because of it. tell her that we were all pulling for her and that we hope she gets well soon. cheers!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    good news wes that they got that bugger out.
    I don't know if it was a "they." Knowing Crystal's tenacity and North-Georgia panache, I bet she grabbed up that scapel, shoved the doktor out of the way, and said, "You'd best let me take care of this. I don't know you and I'm not familiar with your work. Give me about 20 minutes and tell my husband to pick me up out front."

We're all pleased that she's on the mend and we hope that your family's life settles back into dealing with more mundane concerns, such as grass growing too high on the lawn or Tristan the Barbarian's pronouncement that he'll be furthermore scaling the side of the house, rather than using the stairs...That sort of stuff...

Good thing the weekend is here and there's plenty o' time for rest and recouperation. All the best to the Rast Clan.

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wes--> is tuesday night of next week good for you for catl mini sketchgroup action?

i intentionally held out on changing the name of the thread until you chimed in about a day. if there's stuff going on with crystal's post-op care then no worries we'll catch you later. or maybe just crash your house with a set of unbelievably bad B-movies that night.

j

P.S. On a side note it appears that melissa and i will both be in an up and coming artists show at the Rome Area Council for the Arts... there will be a reception, though the date is a little unclear. I will keep you folks posted; we can go together and rock the casbah CATL style. also you guys could meet and freak out my parents. just a thought. ROMEGA is a WEIRD place. more info to come

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; July 28th, 2006 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HEY EVERYBODY! THERE'S sketchy sketchling in ROMEGA sunday night!!!

If anyone is down for it, i'm driving to rome to meet MOTYKA and give her some of my artwork for a show. I will be leaving at probably 5pm and returning to atlanta no later than 11:30pm. gas is on me bc itd be fun to chat with someone + take the CATL sketchgroup on the road for bringing the drawing fury to rome and thereby burning down the city with seven so-called hills.

just thought i'd ask, BONUS plus i wanted to bump the thread. quiet in here yesterday and today.

"Hello?" says gugg, only hearing echoes and the sound of crickets throughout the labyrinthe.

in other news... as the weather begins to get a little cooler and fall approaches i'd like for some of our catl minis to be outdoors or atleast somewhat portable. If there is some particular spot that is free plus good at most times of the day we could potentially plan a big event there. not sure, just thought i'd run it by you all. I've got to get better at environments, and dealing with natural light and color would be immensely helpful to me as i dive into the waterry diluted guoache bed of my own making. I want to do some plein air stuff, especially once we get our promotional materials printed so that off-the-cuff-discussion with the non-sketchgroup world during our meetings becomes less of a necessity.

ideas for the next big event would be muchly appreciated too.

steiner--> sorry i didn't call you today, will hit ya up on the so-called morrow

cheers all
    hugs and guggs
    j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my...

Rome Georgia is 3 and a half hours away from Macon. It sounds like it'll be plenty of fun, but it's a little harsh. Sorry man, I'm skimpin on this one.

Whatever happend to the Aquarium? I know it's not outside, but I still havn't even been there, and it seems like it's still a good idea. How much does it cost by the way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and I've recently re-discovered Starcraft.

I really don't see that being a good thing when concerning my art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Special K: hehe macon --> rome --> macon?!?!? starcraft video game addiction ??? there's a reason why i stopped with the video games, but maybe someday i will get back into that.

our so-called so-called fingerless-homeboy did an awesome job with that list up there, eHHH???

re: outside / inside: i was seeing the outside thing as being something we could venture into slowly at some of our catl mini sketchgroups and then try to take on the road with time... Aquarium = $22 i think? also tickets MUST be purchased in advance...so that complicates things a little further... most of the animals are constantly moving. some birds and crabs / mollusks don't move so much though. some of it is really nice, though a weekend trip would probably be necessary, when crowds are the largest. speaking of the crowds this would be a good sketchgroup to take your ipod or other portable music device along with you. All this stated --> i'm totally down like julie brown for having a big meeting there. also...the corporate sponsorship of that place is not in your face so much all the time, but it isn't hidden which disturbed me slightly. Perhaps this CATLQUARIUM meeting could be a welcome back kind of meeting for our newly christened SCAD-branded "SCADCATL" folks putting it at early - mid september. thoughts from the typing pool? we've talked about the aquarium a few times, but now that we've done a lot of stuff and have been meeting regularly it seems more feasible. if we can come to a consensus i'll send out an email to the CATL-LIST.

hugs and gugs ladies and gents,

joel

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; July 30th, 2006 at 12:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggs: No worries about the call, man. I'll be out and about tomorrow, so your best bet is to phone in after 7 or so (I have no idea when I'll be free to touch base before then)...

Triple-H: You've just got the find the balance, man. I give myself an hour of game time each day (usually right after work), so I can properly send things to oblivion, release some stress, and then move on to more constructive activities...Hell, watching Zergs pop on the screen is a great tension tamer...

All: I'm game for anything, especially as Fall approaches and I can finally shed my summertime-repitilian phase...Fie on heat! FIE I SAY!

I'm going to put this out there for some serious consideration: the aquarium is not the most friendly of places for sketchers. The design/construction of the place is geared towards putting you into the stream of gawkers and pushing you out the end of the exhibit. Do not expect there to be a safe place for you to sketch something that you'd like to see, unless you're planning on sitting in the central section or by the dining areas. And, unless they've seriously switched things around, THERE ARE NO LIVE ANIMALS IN THE DINING AREA...Those that are have been flash-fried and dumped on a bun...

Ideally, I think everyone should come up with a few places they'd like to go and put them up as possibilities. There are plenty of things to do within a max radius of an hour or two, if we're willing to do a little logistical magic and carpooling. If everyone spent 10 minutes picking some potential sites and writing them down, that would be a start...

It's closing in at 2 and that means it's time for me to sign off for the evening. Enjoy your Sundays however it is that you do.

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AD: Haha! It appears you know the North Georgians well, especially the red-headed ones.

I just found this off the ConceptArt Wiki, it's probably the best light tutorial I've seen yet, and I haven't even finished reading it. I'm learning tons of stuff from it.

Gugg: Yep, I'm okay with Tuesday, methinks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon my five

re: AD:
    these are all pretty close by and represent great sketching potential:

1.) center for puppetry arts on spring street. (READ: THIS IS IN THEIR COLLECTION!!!)

2.) bodies again on a friday evening instead of having a catl mini... smaller crowds and open until 9pm. I could get together as early as 6:30P with a small group to spend some little precious time with our friends the plastic people...

3.) atlantic station + 17th street bridge environment drawing. granted this is basically an outdoor mall, but there are always a good assortment of people lurking about, and the view of midtown atlanta from the 17th street is really impressive. This would have to be a post- CATL411card type event though, as i'm sure we'd get mauled by people geeking out about the fact that we're sketching

4.) perimeter mall was a nice place for a meeting... lots of comfortable chairs and big spaces that we could steal from old guys waiting for their wives to finish shopping

5.) subway sketchgroup: This is something that my friend nik / sirgreensock has been doing for a while with some success... basically you all meet at one train station... errr.. in our case it'd probably be the north springs station, and then get on the trains and ride around for 3-4 hours. one fare unless you get off... in which case it's two--@ $3.50. The idea being to get some good environment sketches and some life sketches of people riding and doing whatever they're doing.

6.) i just saw something in the seatle thread posted by good-buddy of mine redehlert... the idea is basically you devote two meetings to creating a thunderdome image. the topic is picked from a hat, and then everyone has the time from the first meeting and from the second meeting to do the topic. at the end, a prize is given away (4 IMAX TICKETS IN SEATTLE'S case) for the drawing that best exemplifies the topic. catch being that you can only research your image while you are not at the meeting. all the work / production must be done while you are at the two sketchgroup meetings. Seattle's got it going on--> it's a damn cool activity if you ask me.

7.) sketching house party--with or without booze and loud music these are a lot of fun... plus you get to weird out your guests with all of your freaky ass possessions. it's cool...then you can actually use the hosts' (if they don't mind) art supplies and get to really chill out with the group for a good period of time...had one of these at my house and after everyone found the place and i got the weird music spinning a blast was had by all.

8.) north carolina group meetup... this would require a good bit of drivetime, but would be really awesome if we all rocked a big meetup at some cool place halfway between atlanta and boone. south carolina probably and we'd be looking at an entire day of getting up early, driving (great drawing opp in the car if you don't get carsick by doing that) hanging out for 5-6 hours and then heading out. was a lot of fun at the bot gardens hosting our CATL SATLite folks!

9.) fernbank natural historymuseum + imax movie fun fun fun to be had with this... great environments and natural history stuff is a blast to draw. the stuffed birds in the lobby and the gigantic largest dinosaur fossil alone are worth the price of admission. the imax movie is just visual sweet icing on the cake

10.) UK sketchgroup style pub crawl...probably we'd need to take some train down to midtown or something but it'd be a lot of fun to roll from bar to bar, maybe have a drink after finishing a page, etc. need to research this to see iif it's actually possible and maybe drop into the UK thread to get a better idea of how the sketchcrawls go down. I'm not sure that our group is all of age too, but i we're not we're close.

11.) high museum of art --> $15 admission buys access to hundreds of gorgeous artobjects and on some friday evenings there are costumed models too.

12.) plein air working: so these are just off the top of my head here: piedmont park, marta train platforms, a couple of very urban looking places in buckhead, even a trip to some nice park around here would be totally awesome. getting the whole ambience of a chattahoochee riverside scene would be an intense but fun challenge.

thoughts?

if everyone suggests 5 we're going to have to pick one from a hat there would be so many!

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggs: Holy sketchtastic agenda, Batman! That's a list for sure and all of them appear to provide a mighty fine time. Anyone would suit me fine...

I like the idea of the Pub Crawl and the Subway Ride-a-Thon...

The Fernbank calls to me nightly, as dead and stuffed things always make such easy sketch subjects...

As for mall-drawing, I highly recommend Phipps Plaza - the architecture there should provide plenty of contemporary construction to play with for environmental design...

I've been wanting to take some classes at the Center for Puppetry Arts (I have some weird fascination with marionettes and the like), so having a chance to stroll around the place and see a Skeksis behind glass would make any weekend afternoon a real treat...

Yeah, this list reads like my "things to do in ATL" list pinioned to the fridge of The Terrorplex. Chime in, folks. August is around the corner and I've got a fever...And the only cure is more CATL...I've gotta have more CATL...

+AD

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright then, my opinions on meeting places are as follows:

Aquarium - A good possibility if we could meet on a weekday as to avoid crowds.
    Bodies - always a good spot, definitely want to go again
    Parks or Malls - also fine with me
    Pub Crawl - As long as certain persons can control their craving for La Cerveza Del Diablo, then that would be cool
    House Party - Although my I couldn't host, I will happily bring an appropriate amount previously mentioned devilish drinks
    High Museum - If they have some sweet sculpture, then Im in
    PuppetPalace - doesnt seem like there would be much to draw, even though Skeksis are awesome
    North Carolina - Perhaps, but the location would have to be worthwhile
    Fernbank - might not be so great, since some of the rooms are very dimly lit and the pathways are very narrow
    Subway Sketching - Definitely not for me, I cannot read or draw whilst in a moving vehicle

So I will put a vote in for Bodies or Aquarium or a Park excursion as my prime choices, although I am up for anything, excluding the subway thing.

Other possible ideas,
    Stone Mountain,
    Chattahoochee Nature Center located in roswell, 100+ acres with a river boardwalk trail and only $3 admission, seems like a nice place. Chime in if you've been and shares your thoughts, Ive never been.

C U fell-uhs @ thuh Carry-Boo Cough-E awn Tooz-Dae

My slang is so dope fly fresh diggity

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The High or Fernbank sounded interesting, though I'm not familiar with what they have at fernbank. Seems like the High would be replete with sketching material, plus people wouldn't goggle and be stunned at (*gasp*) artists drawing!

Is there anywhere with truly enormous interior architecture? The Phipps thing sounds good. I've not been there in ages. I'd thought of the airport, but it seems really flat and overly crowded. The Mall of Georgia has a prodigiously high ceiling on its food court area, which could be convenient for refreshments. Anyone else have any ideas on that? Maybe some skyscrapers downtown or something?

But hey, I'm up for just about anything after being cooped up for almost two weeks now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steiner---> Cool my friend, glad you liked the list! Also i gotta usher a big atta' boy style thank-thee for choking up on the CATL BAT and knocking our CATL propaganda out of the friggin park. It's gonna look and read so tight and professional that potential catl folks are going to be way blown away...We'll work on this for a little bit on tuesday night and kind of map out this and the other project we discussed last night. It's cool about the center for puppetry arts...that place is awesome. I've never done any drawing there but i always leave there super, super inspired...And i've actually also been wanting to do some of their community continuing ed classes as well. Actually i'm planning to roll down there for their big, badass XPT: Expiremental Puppet Theater that i've been to a few times in the past...REALLY impressive short acts and the artistry and mechanics of the puppets and props they use (for the most part) is nothing short of outstanding.

Phipps Plaza eh? that sounds easy enough...though i haven't been there personally. hmmmm...we can discuss a trip there at the next CATL mini environment sketching must be done soon though...seems like a reoccurring theme.

trever---> meeting on a weekday is going to be nearly impossible for myself and others who man the meatgrizzler on the grisly, grisly 5am-9pm sweat shop shift. Doing bodies again is top priority right now personally... we gotta get in there again soon! I'm gonna have a look at my schedule but would really like to see it once or twice more if possible...though the coming weeks promise to be extremely busy for myself. Center for puppetry arts is actually pretty impressive as far as the artfulness of the puppets is concerned. many of them are from really unusual cultures and could even stand alone as sculptures. and they're creepy as hell too. apparently cpa is somewhat haunted according to unnamed supernatural sources.

the fernbank has two buildings... are you referring to the larger one that has the imax theater? because that's the one i'm talking about...not the educational center thing. And the areas that i glanced at were natural sunlight lit... i dunno... the huge brontosaurus looking fossil turned me on.

ahhh... nature!
    great point. Chattahoochee nature center sounds like a really nice time, esp. if bug spray + NOBURN sunscreen are used without the slightest moderation. drawing in the forest! sweet idea! stone mountain...eh? i dunno... I'm down for whatever really.

wesser----> glad your back dude... see you tuesday...

<---gugger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All: Well, by this time tomorrow, I should be well worn out by the usual sketchtasticness you proper rogues bring to the table...Personally, I'm interested in a number of things:

1) Will Fingerless still be engaged in tree-drawing explorations of his newfound love of markers? Or will his markers have finally usurped his authority in a rebellion of color and marker stink?

2) Will Wesifex have made a leap forward in artistic time, since he last graced our table? If so, I do hope he used his confiscated alien utility belt...

3) Will Guggen-no-middle-name-maneuver have uncovered what horrific process is at work within the kitchen that fills Le 'Bou with such a foul and insidious odor every evening promptly at 8:30pm?

4) Will Tammy make a guest apperance in true Fae fashion, since Tuesday is not her night to cling precariously off tall, inanimate objects?

5) Will Ben reveal further details of his upcoming show or continue to torment us with his "You'll see" remarks?

6) Will Motyka suddenly appear through the doors shouting that she's had it with the youth of today and has decided to open Rome's first all-night hot spot, Infernum Infernum Discotheque?

7) Will I have time to feed myself beforehand or must I risk, yet again, another chance encounter with my archnemesis, Clostridium Botulinum! Oh, I'm onto you CB - you bastard! Fie on you and your damnable plastic-wrapped sliced turkey and Swiss on asiago bread!

Until tomorrow, comrades!

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm eager to go back to the bodies exhibit. Also interested in sketching at malls and bars (haven't really tried this). Not sure about fernbank/CPA, but they're close enough to check out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bodies: the deuce
    Let's do.

hot and heavy, sunday afternoon --> closing time evening??? not sure exactly what the hours are... and it's 3+ am at the time oof this writing. actually i believe sunday is one of their later days, and they're open until 9pm. It has been a debauchery-infected monday evening - tuesday morn. Yes. I am on call again, but it seems there will be no other opportunity before 4 september until they kick me out and slap my bottom with a beautiful hand dissection.

thusly,

LET'S KICK THE MOO, CATL-STYLE, and show the doubters and other plastinated people EXACTLY which friendly neighborhood sketchgroup dominates the dissection. BRING ON THE BAD GUYS PUNK, we'ze ready, we'ze ready!

If you haven't gone, i must say that this exhibit has immensely increased my own very limited vocabulary of anatomical doo-hickeys to throw down. seriously jump on board this ship if you'd like to spend some time LITERALLY working with the anatomy that we all struggle to get correct.

I ain't braggin and i ain't boastin,
    but i've learned a few things about
    anatomy from that bodies shözen

5th timers club!

feed the tree
    goo the moo

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, Bodies...So many fond memories of watching people cringe by the touch table...

If you can't handle the heat, then you probably shouldn't be handling the loose tendons of some 24-year old woman, who never imagined - in even her wildest, sweaty dreams - that her insides would be manhandled by the collective you...

If it is this Sunday that you speak of, then I am afraid you will be traveling sans Doll. I have a prior engagement that must be met. If you are referring to any given Sunday this month, I would be open, as sketch events on the weekends need a bit more advanced warning for me to pull off...

I guess this is one of the many things we'll be conferring over tonight...

Sub-seven hours and counting...

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK... i still got catching up to do... skimmed a good bit of what i missed, and the rest I skipped since I need to be working hard right now. things are insane... i'll fill you all in on details later.

somethin' happenin' tonight???? what time/where? the usual?

moved yesterday... finishing that up today... on my lunch break... from work... also gotta return the keys and pay for the uhaul... got back sunday night... so now i am internet-connected once again, and I have internet (wireless) at my new place... just no comp to use it!

ha d;fhaklsd fjad mild vertigo, headaches, heat, and extreme exhaustion.

=X

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats to TamTam on her point to point transferance of possesions and residence. The Carry-Boo Cough-EE we speak of is on Mansell Rd, a mile or so West of the 400. Meet time 7 or 7.5 pm. This will now be refered to as "The Usual"

End of Line

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    7 OR 7.5??? OR!?

ahhh... but which is MORE "usual" than the other? the 7? or the 7.5?!?

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, the 7 or the 730 is the usual...Neither tends to be more usual than the other...

You may arrive either by 7 or by 730, whichever suits your particular needs at the time...I always try to arrive by 7, but seem to manage 715, therefore I'm both late and early...

+AD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be there at 7.0, traffic permitting, and if there are no more internal organs threatening to explode.

Page 19 of 123 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3