Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group - Page 12

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha that's the thing... i'm on a 'good' day oozing with motivation and competitiveness... but it's when life 'crap' sets in... it's like... disabling. Almost a priority thing... when life crap is pounding at my head, dealing with that seems to be the most important thing, and I feel like I watch helplessly as my motivation just vaporizes for that moment of time... =)

BTW... class projects and crits... don't fill that void for crap. Aha... you missed my rantage at B&W =P

'ppreciate the thoughts... i agree w/ you about it all =P

~chasing whims is not always a waste of time~

sketchjunk thread give me a MOO!!!–CATLsketchgroup

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [Edit:] Yeah, weather looks Jurassic through Monday. Anyone have a Plan B in mind or do we all want to pound down there anyway and come up with a solution should the rain kick up while we're there?

Quote Originally Posted by Artifex33
    Really tough to get something from someone like, say, AnalogDoll (*cough*) and not want to paint his stuff into a little cage, whip it with a leather strap and make it beg for mercy.
    5 hours of half-starts last night and I scrapped all of it before bed. I'm staring at something right now, wishing I could get through this damn copywriting faster to get to it...why...won't...my...fingers...type...FASTER!

Fae: Wesifex nailed it on the head for me. I'm here to collaborate, find inspiration outside of myself, let someone rip apart what I do and help me grow in a different direction. I'm here to step out of the comfort zone and try to forget everything I paid good money to learn in school that never really seemed to have an impact on me like the last few months have...

Motivation can be trouble. There are days I want to power down early, but I ask myself, "What did I do today? What did I do that made June 23rd 2006 a day not wasted?"

Today's response: Nothing yet - but it's up and running right next to me and...if...I...could...just...get...30...minutes.. .to...attack...it...

Yours in the grind,

-AppreciationDummies

Last edited by AnalogDoll; June 23rd, 2006 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's funny what's killing my artistic motivation. Art in another form. I swear the mural painting is killing me. Only one more week though.

I did start a painting painting the other day, and working on it felt damned good.

Oh, and random ass anxiety attacks also affect my art, but that's neither here nor there dear buttercups.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as to why i'm involved in MOOage, you mean? For me... it's inspiring as crap to find people you can geek out with who can appreciate it and just expand and multiply your geekdom... to be able to relax and know that other people get it... appreciate it, and enjoy it... to be able to enjoy theirs... good company, good art, creativity out the wazoo, and the ability to sharpen each other's art as well as expand our notions of our own art, art in the world, and all that fun jazz. On top of all that, make new friends =D

I just find there's something about artistic type people... not those who enjoy it only, but those who BREATHE it... that's just so satisfying being with... because they see things others don't see, etc... it's cool.

I'm like a fly to the rotting crap on the floor. I couldn't help being drawn in =P... take that for what it's worth hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    23June2006: Put 1 up on the scoreboard for Analog-D - Art: 1 Apathy: 0

Now, if only I could sort out my "Flexible Squid" dilemma...

Fae: That's the show of force we're looking for! And I agree. It's very hard for people who aren't driven to create something to understand "the ache" that starts in the gut and travels to your head begging for you to put pencil to page...There's just something about being around artists - being around people that understand why you HAVE to go home, because you HAVE to create RIGHT NOW!

TripleH: Your mural just called. It's looking for you.

All: T-Minus 00.17.48.00 and counting...

AbjectDesire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, I have to know for sure, are we doing it? Or are we being skered of some rain? I really want to come, but if I drive an hour and a half up there 7 in the morning to find out that you pansies cant stand some rain, I'll have to ground up some CATL beef and cook me a well done pansy-art ΦΦΦ burger or two.

Barbie Doll- You know not the horrors or the mural. Taunt all you may, but in the end, they say the great mural deamonee comes for all of the weak of heart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey Catl It's Zootrip Eve! Moooo!!!!

ok... no worries HHH!

super last minute update... i haven't really been on here all day but i'm glad the mill has been churning out the CATL beef... delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by e smell i just sent you
    Are you stoked yet?!?!?!?!?

attached is a pdf with information about the Zoo trip, directions to
    the zoo, etc, and even possible alternatives in the event of foul
    weather tomorrow.

The official plan is to meet at ZOO Atlanta at 9am and then go in
    together as the zoo opens up at 9:30.

If anyone would like to stop / carpool to the zoo from north atlanta,
    Eric Steiner has generously offered up space in his car for 1-2 people
    who are going to be making the trek down tomorrow. (# deleted call me if you need it.)

Looking forward to drawing with the CATL herd tomorrow...

Oh yeah, and i was just wondering a second ago...
    Can i get a MOO????

call me with any questions or concerns...I'll try to help you out best i can.
    here's the info pdf

god i hope i can find myself a shiny healer at some point tonight
    j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you realize that you...
    Have the most beautiful face? (Gugg-er-delicious)
    What about how we're floating in space? (He-Who-Lost-His-Digits)
    How happiness makes you cry? (Tammy)
    I'm sure you realize that everyone you know someday will die. (I would say ADoll, but this one is just to mean)

In that case, CATL ZooTrip tomorrow.

And I'll bring the sha-bling.

On a side note, there's the possibility that I'm going to get there really early, like an hour or two early. I'll probably resort to taking a nap in my car, so Joel or Tammy give me a call or try and find my car in the parking lot around 9 and wake me up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double Dosing from (H)3 - time for a response:

I gather from the not-so-brief phonecall I had previously with your mural that it is: needy, controlling and jealous. You've got a harsh mistress on your hands, my friend. Remember, breathe through the nose...

And to quote one Mr. Trent Reznor (although, the performance by the late Johnny Cash was so tremendously powerful):

Everyone I know goes away...in the end...

Guggenbuggen: Thanks again for putting together such a comprehensive and delightfully colorful CATL Zoofest Packet for us...

The rest of you lot: See you in the AM. Oh, man...that's early...if you see someone bursting into a great white flame of heat and light, that's just me before Noon - just throw a wet nap my way and we'll be fine...

-AbbotDramatica

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She is pretty bitchy. I can't say that our relationship has been pretty, a few hits back and forth...I think I'm going to need a hug...she's to harsh.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Joel is pretty modest in person, but he really does care a lot about the CATL Group. Thanks Joel for making the bitchin packet-o'-directions. I will see everyone there.....hope you guys have your homework ready, cuz I slaved over mine, well....not really, but it technically qualifies as a drawing.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Homework?

Damn, I knew I should of gone to class...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know we spoke of going to the Caribou Coffee on Tuesday the 27th, but it turns out I've got a conflict that night. Any other night this coming week we can do that? I'd hate to miss two S-Bucks trips in a row.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re: ZOOTRIP

wes--> sunday/tomorrow or friday nights then? These represent the only other times i could join up.

CATL zootrip attendees-->i just wanted to drop in and say that i had a fantastic time at the zoo today...and though the torrential avalanche of spastic children was something i probably should have anticipated, it was a challenging environment to draw and produce good drawings in rest assured. thanks for coming out everyone and weathering the oppressive heat and humidity. Seeing all of your sketches at aurora coffee was a special treat--> inspires me to want to draw animals better. seemed like everything i did was just way too sketchy. On the bright side though--> FIFTEEN PAGES TODAY AT TODAY'S SKETCHGROUP! OH HELL YEAH! Thankfully i had a delicious partner in crime by the name of odwalla soy gravy by my side to help me through... mmmmmmm.... GRAVY. anyhow, we didn't really discuss our next big adventure other than to discuss briefly some action for this coming week. I'm actually wanting to go back to see bodies at some point soon, and will be willing to go with whoever is down for sketching for a few hours. This group becomes more and more special with time--> i'm having a great time befriending all of you. except for tammy. hehehe kidding

oh dear. its thundering and lightning here. i had better go.

delightful time today all. CATL sketchgroup will convene again soon!

MOOO!!!

HUGGGGGGS,
    GUGGGGGGS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, man - 13 hours of sleep later, I'm up and ready to start the day. I do vaguely recall thundering, bright flashes of light, and someone telling me that if I wanted to master the power of flight, I'd need to consume more lion-headed tea biscuits. I'm having a hard time discerning what was real and what was the dream...

Guggenofthejungle: Again, another excellent showing of sketchtastic skill. You really have made a jump into lightspeed that's growing ever more apparent in your work...Either from the tremors underground or the rain of graphite fire from above, I foresee an artpocalypse in your future...Also, thanks again for all the time and energy you put into making yesterday just a primo experience. You do a lot behind the scenes to give this group a solid shape and we appreciate it...

TripleH: While you may fill your days with ballerinas and free coffee (if that doesn't make you sound like a jet-setting playboy, I don't know what will), you certainly let your desire to draw out when time permits. Great ideas for the Huge Har Har and tight zoo animals.

Artiwes: What a solid run of satirical sketching yesterday. Apes with spray cans...religious figureheads...good times. And, the musculature you captured with the lion was pure madness...Our first pass with the king/queen of the jungle was not 100% satisfying. I'm glad round 2 pulled out the stops...

GeneralFaeTso'sSketchbook (with tangy mustard): Thanks for spending some time yesterday sharing your technique with me. The first passes I had with it were rough as expected, but with a little patience and your tips, I started seeing the progress take shape. I'll need to spend more time with it in the coming months to sort it out. I'm torn between your Roo sketches and your reptiles for favs: both were solid...

Fingerless(+1): I didn't get to peer into the vast depths of the earthbound sketchbook, but I'm certain you filled it with a wonderful collection of apes and things...We missed you at the post-zoo sketchdown, but I'll be certain to snatch your book from you at the next gathering...

Ben: Don't let Ben's apparent quiet and calm demeanor "flip you for real," he's a raging storm of artistic madness...I caught a few glimpses of your sketchbook in the Reptile House: sick work, my friend. As for your post-zoo sketchwork, scary heads - even scarier monsters...Wonderful progressions all...

RomeCrew(Motoyka/Eric): Just in case you swing by the boards, great time seeing/meeting you...I know it can be a bit of a chore trying to get down for everything and I hope your trouble was rewarded with good sketches and curious banter...Hope to catch you guys in the future...

All: I've got an out-of-town trip coming up sometime this week. It'll be a last-minute flight and I have no notion of when that might happen. So, I'm planning to attend whatever y'all want to put together, however I may be absent if I get the greenlight to hop a flight. I'll keep you posted.

-AfricanDiscothèque

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just a quick one...

I gotta head out here really fast, but I wanted to post links to the photos I shot yesterday in case anyone needed them to tie up any of their drawings, and of course, there's the CATL-call:

http://www.wesleyrast.com/img/art/zootrip/CATL-1.jpg
    http://www.wesleyrast.com/img/art/zootrip/CATL-2.jpg
    http://www.wesleyrast.com/img/art/zootrip/CATL-3.jpg

Here's the directory for the animal shots. Apologies to Motyka for the lousy shot of the vulture. The little bastard just wouldn't turn around.

zoo photos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for your tireless dedication to the herd friend, these pictures are very helpful!

gorgeous lines too. i mean, gorgeous lions.

hehe

CATL-PRODDINGUGGENMANEUVER

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    guggenprod: how was the homemade concoction??? did it help produce the drawings?!? Perhaps you should mix us all a batch next time so we can also fill pages the way you do... Do as the guggen does, as they say...

artifex: hah... you also cannot get away with whatnot anymore... seeing as I have your handle and name put together in my head now as well... it's over guys: you might as well give up =) Now... since I haven't seen it mentioned, I have to ask: Did you happen to accidentally grab a shabby pair of sunglasses on your quick way out? =P

mr. i-am-a-rockin-artist-b/c-i-draw-without-my-hands: I am still mentally trudging through all the arguments back and forth as to whether or not you use those re-attached digits to draw or whether you've just found it's more convenient holding the pencil other ways... and stuck to it... either way, the drawings are good and fun, and yes... we all felt bad when you never showed up =( perhaps you were more for the outdoors adventure, and less for the coffee-shop-sitting-artist-crowd look...

peter: always glad you're willing to make the long haul trek... since we aren't also... love how you called me to tell me you were lost by the turtles... though I couldn't for the life of me get around the zoo myself... thirdly, you sure you went to spend time with the animals, or just bask in more estrogen?

AardvarkDemeanor: It was fun goin' along... gettin' lost in the wild safari and outdoors without a proper working map... (i think this is broken... why did we get the broken one!?) drooling over the roos... and all that jazz... i'll forgive you if you avoid me with all you have next time, and subject someone else to the mind-dump

Chauncey: WE MISSED YOU!!!!

All: It was great fun... great fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [Edit: Curious Question] Wesifex: What the hell is that castle-like structure at the end of Green Road? Guggs, Chaunce and I drove past it previously (on accident, mind you) and I drove my wife out to look at it last night...It's just too peculiar not to want to know more...

Ah, good times...good times...

Remember your homework? So, if you had a chance to get it taken care of (or have only now recently remembered to lay down some graphite to get it underway), try to get it up sometime before dawn...Once we kill it off, we can move on to the next round/assignment/torture session...

In other news, it appears I will be out of town from Wed night thru Friday evening...I will have to sit the forthcoming CATL-CALL out it would appear...I will be sketching on the road and will share what my brief reunion with FLorida has summoned within...Ugh - not looking forward to the heat...

Note to self: Become independently wealthy and start an artist colony...

-AgileDrill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hewwwo!

anyone down for the apache cafe session tonight? I'll be there like swimwear. holla folks i'd love to get some monday night CATL rallying going downtown julie brown

Discussion about the next big CATL meeting?
    Time to get that party started yo. in regards to time frame i'll have to get back to you but definitely something before say the middle of July.

I would like to compile a list of all our different sketching kind of activities to reference at our meetings... Just think... an entire page of collaborative and competitive drawing games that you could use at any time you are drawing alone or with other artists! Having this list will allow us to reference and make the assignments better! of course, thunderdomes, the face game, etc, etc, etc.

hehehe everyone---> REST ASSURED I GOT VATS OF SOY-PROTEIN GRUEL-GRAVY WAITING IN THE WINGS ... heheehee sorry nothing like a good chalky beverage to get you writing in capslock and get my left ear starting to bleed

+++hey hey!+++
    CATL MINISKETCHGROUP THIS FRIDAY! --> 7:30pm at Caribou Coffee on mansell pkwy in alpharetta.
    Oh and hey what should i do with this good drawing? MANSELL!!!

huggs -n- guggs folks,

I'll be watching you like that creepy ass police song.

j

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; June 26th, 2006 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Page 7! A-Doll FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    I would like to compile a list of all our different sketching kind of activities to reference at our meetings... Just think... an entire page of collaborative and competitive drawing games that you could use at any time you are drawing alone or with other artists! Having this list will allow us to reference and make the assignments better! of course, thunderdomes, the face game, etc, etc, etc.
    I like this...I can foresee us having some kind of Wheel of Creative Doom someone spins (a' la The Price is Right) to determine which of the many sketchtastic activities we will all be subjected to...

Quote Originally Posted by guggenmaneuver
    hehehe everyone---> REST ASSURED I GOT VATS OF SOY-PROTEIN GRUEL-GRAVY WAITING IN THE WINGS
    Everytime I saw Gugg pulling from his jug o' soy juice, I couldn't help but think of Ron Burgundy stumbling down the street with lactose in his beard crying, ""It's so damn hot. Milk was a bad choice..."

Guggs likes the gravy...

Depending on the magnitude of this little electrical storm that seems to be going on outside, you may or may not see my homework assignment appear in the Sketch Thread...Only time (and my ability to resist searing magnetic death) will tell...

-AltoidsDentyne

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ideas for the next big meet? I know it's soon, but we should start planning now...

georgia aquarium would be awesome--> but you have to buy tix in advance.

My gravy SUPPING is entirely original though

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; June 27th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fae
    artifex: hah... you also cannot get away with whatnot anymore... seeing as I have your handle and name put together in my head now as well... it's over guys: you might as well give up =) Now... since I haven't seen it mentioned, I have to ask: Did you happen to accidentally grab a shabby pair of sunglasses on your quick way out? =P
    Yes, actually I did. They're in my car and I'll happily give them back to you this friday at the Caribou. :]

BTW, has anyone else's email-notification for subscribed threads stopped working? Lots of new posts in here, but no notices to my email. (shrug)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I get asked a lot if working from home is better than working in an office...Today was one of those occasions. However, instead of rattling off my usual response that the commute from the bedroom to the office is low-volume, light-flow and that business casual means putting on pants, I went far into left field...

So, my explanation today went more like:

Well, you know that scene in Silence of the Lambs when Jame Gumb has got that Senator's daughter down in the well and he's putting on his lipstick and he's dancing around to "Goodbye Horses" by Psyche? Yeah, that's how my days pretty much are. I just tuck back and dance and say, "Yes, it will, Precious. It will get the hose!"

Analog-D's Home Office...

Wesifex: I don't use the thread subscription...I just sense when new posts have been made and I heed the call...

Guggs: Aquarium would be cool...and would take all the manuevering you could muster to coordinate...I'd also be down for doing some trips to cool places of architecture to beef up my environment training...Some crazy theme park or some old town or local cathedral or something like that...I'll do some digging and see what bizarre place I can come up with...

-AbundantDreadlocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aquarium sounds like a good time....I love me some Octopi...pretty much my favorite animal. I use thread subscription, but just look for the blue checkmark, instead of getting emails. And I am definitely down for this Friday night.

AD: From now on, everytime I read your sig, I will laugh to myself.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fingerless: I'm here to entertain you, man...

All: Updated the sketch thread with my homework assignment. It's interesting to look at the progress of my work on the page. I think my time with Loomis/"Hobarth" is paying off...I used Fae's method of mass building to rough out the shapes and then lined in what I was happy with. Still a few anatomy issues to iron out, but I'm getting closer with every cut of the pencil...

I'm onto Artifex's "Dancer" now...Will have him post once he gives it the Westastic Seal of Approval...

-ArchaicDemonology

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, if it's enviro practice we're after, then there's some decent practice of the organic variety at the Botanical Gardens. If you want to do some loopy stuff, the kids area has all kinds of weird Alice in Wonderland mushrooms and such. They also have several different climate buildings for getting highly varied plant life. I've not been to the aquarium yet, so I'm totally up for that also. Would probably be some good interior enviro practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MOO!

fae, nof, afx, ad --> . Since steinner was the first to post our assignment (wes--> we chose at the last "miniSG") you should decide on what our topic is going to be for a thunderdome for friday, k? Dang i have mine ready i just have to remember to bring it to work with me for scanning....sorry for the delay i've got sketchbook scanning constipation right now somehow. "ewwwwww... it's got a big dollop of identity on it."

FAE--> T i will bring vats of that delicious beverage soy gravy (actually i got some nice good oj last night that was kind of gravy-ish with the pulp in it...I was thinking that it would be tasty on a biscuit) for busting out some of that inside/outside wisdom on us friday evenin' like you were tellin me. I think i understood it, but a demo would probably clear up my misunderstandings.

analog--> Wo Ist Zu Hausee, Mama? hehehe errrrr... what's this new germinsanity? When we come over to have a drawing party at your house i'm going to be looking for the pit with the accompanying lotion basket. but if there are preserved heads in jars alongside your gigantic styrofoam props i'll probably make some drawings of the deadexpresssion and isht, just for gigggglerzzz

wes-master-fex--> agreed, the bot. gardens is going to be one of the most amazing options for environs sketching. ... seems like admission was errr... $12 each or something?

Options for next big CATL sketchgroup meeting:
    • Georgia Aquarium - This'd be a lot of fun and probably represents the best potential our next big exciting trip i'd say
    • Bodies (i've been a couple of times but am still totally down for getting in another couple of good sessions there)
    • Airport / subway sketching --> this worked out really well that one time...there's plenty of space, people aren't going to interrupt you so much...a good thing to consider for when our normal plans fall through...plenty of fun though, i'd be down for doing again.
    • AD mentions drawing from architecture / buildings...I'd love to do this, but we'd need to discuss some potential locations first. Maybe there's some place in atlanta with a great view. Ben (vhy) and i have discussed the 17th street bridge as being a good place, plus atlantic station is right there for all your eating + caffeine needs. we can park at my office for free and walk over, the scenic spot is only about half a mile away. I'd need to get in shape for plein-aire painting / drawing for a little bit before this could go down...since i was totally-tuckered after the zootrip!
    • some kind of CATL Sketchgroup Party perhaps??? All-nighter lock-in style drawing sweatshop perhaps??? hehehe it'd be great because i could probably finish a couple of assignments in one fell swoop and be hanging out with you guys at the same time. thoughts? I could probably host--> will be at the apartment i'm at now for another month it turns out...then it's out of north atlanta and ITP for me.
    • high museum --> lots of marbles and nice spaces with the new annex to the museum.
    • fernbank museum of natural history --> preserved birds, costumes, dinosaurs, etc, etc, etc, + very nice building, AND IMAX movies
    • botanical gardens--> as wes astutely points out there are lots of good opportunities at the BOT gardens. there's a really over the top orchid house that's exceedingly exceedingly lovely.
    • Drawing in the park--> piedmont park like we'd planned that one time but it was wet from rain the previous day. :-( should be fun. there's an area for dogs too, not sure if any of you have the canines like i do but that might make things a little more interesting.
    • Crit-t-t-t P-P-P-P-Party!!! self explanatory...everybody brings finished work and instead of drawing we each ANALYZE THE HELL out of some piece that you've brought.

anyways, friday sketchgroup is gonna be awesome fun, though AardvarkDiskjockey will be sorely missed to be sure.

j

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; June 28th, 2006 at 06:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    steiner's new sig: "It inserts the lotion into the basket, or otherwise it receives the hose again."

thanks altavista babelfish :/

woot T minus 25 hours and counting until the CATL MOO AGAIN!

hehehe

j

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; June 29th, 2006 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way----------------

Update in the CATL sketchfridge.

Page 12 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2