Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group - Page 118
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 118 of 123 FirstFirst ... 18 68 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,540 of 3690

Thread: Atlanta /// CATL Sketch Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cricket cricket ... i guess i should delete the previous post.

hehe... cheers to special K. "the mighty boosh" is damn brilliant!

hope you guys didn't spill any blood on the sales floor today. i hit up sam flax and criminal records so yeah, art supplies / books / record fix all addressed! cheers!

m

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew. The family and I are back from our week-long vacation to Washington DC. What a difference a few degrees in latitude makes on the temperature. My son and I were quite disappointed that DC wasn't teeming with super mutants and radioactive ghouls, and it wasn't from lack of effort to uncover their hidey-holes. Trips through the Metro system produced several false alarms. One of which was a lovely lady pretending to be blind. Anecdotes to be related at the next mini, assuming my availability is not yanked from beneath my feet.

I did manage to get some sketching done from within the National Cathedral. That was a disorienting experience for a while, until I noticed that my perspective wasn't screwy--it was the nave itself. It's actually skewed off the center of the building by a few degrees, resulting in the altar being squarely behind a pillar when viewed from the center aisle. With all the symbolism built into gothic cathedrals, the possibilities for jokes boggle the mind.

I mused that a century or so ago, the architect and foreman stood inside the entrance, admiring their work, and one said, "Hey, does that look...oh, shit."

I'll post a picture of the interior as soon as I pull them from the digicam.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artifex33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gugg:I'm probably down for a get together in January

Is anyone going to be at Borders tomorrow? It was pretty lonely last week.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup
    "Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't be able to make it, work ends too late, maybe next week, last week of classes and all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a show opening this Friday at the Beep Beep gallery. I'll have some new stuff on display. Come check it out.

Name:  Bite-Sized-Web.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  63.5 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Grendel Grack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey kim, thanks for the heads up about the show! definitely gonna try to roll over to the beeple steeple tonight to support! see ya there hopefully!

m

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Grackula: Sorry to have missed your event. I ended up at another art show that night. I'll have to swing by BeepBeep and see what you've unleashed.

Hank of Oz: The ALCOVE gallery in Avondale is putting on a fabulous show featuring works inspired by The Wiz o' Oz. Some of the work is dripping in brilliant shades of awesome and must be inhaled in person. While the show was dominated by 2D work, there were substantial 3D and mixed-media contributions.

You can access a sample of the work via the online gallery here: Alcove's Samples from the "Hank of Oz" Exhibit...

Hope everyone is alive and well and working hard.

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KU: Let's see your piece

All: I'm not going to be out tomorrow, maybe Thursday.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my car got impounded saturday night / sunday morning and alas i am public transportationing and won't be up for funwoody. trying to get this resolved quickly but alas, my bone-grizzled nubs are bound.

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll not be out for this evening, either, as I'm on sick kid duty.

A friend of mine passed over a dvd full of the "Ultimates" series of Marvel comics so I could feed my newfound interest in Mark Millar's work. I've been thumbing the spines of the graphic novelization of these for some time, but never dropped the cash-hammer.

Just a brief browse through a particular Hulk vs. Wolverine issue showing Wolverine being ripped apart by the Hulk's bare hands and thrown over a mountain shocked me at how far comics content has come since I was reading them regularly.

The art was top notch. Color and detail have also come a long way. I'll have to make sure it's on my laptop for sharing next time I'm out at one of the group events.

"Communist Chinese invasion of American soil detected...chance of success: zero percent." -- Liberty Prime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gugg: Hope everything works out with the car

Good thing Finals are ending this week so I'll probably be able to attend the Dun. sessions more over the coming weeks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks, are there any weekly comic book publications in the US akin to Shonen Jump of Japan? Just wondering the other day and I thought someone here must know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ack! HACK'D BY CHINESE'D!!

[edit] hmm. now that they've taken down the spam post, my joke makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Artifex33; December 16th, 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahem... After 9 days of being carless i finally got my car back today: City of Atlanta *&@(%*#$!!! *grumble *grumble *spit *curse.... anyways, i'm sticking around down south tonight to take care of a friend tonight who just had a big surgery. With any luck i should be able to make it up for next tuesday. miss you guys.

ethax>>> haha... the macquarium movie came out!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just thought I'd say that I won't be there tonight or Thursday. Probably next week though.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm staying in tonight; if anyone wants to come out thurs. let me know

Quote Originally Posted by guggemmaneuver View Post

ethax>>> haha... the macquarium movie came out!

m
    "Delgo is a computer-animated fantasy film released on December 12, 2008, by Freestyle Releasing. This is the first film from Atlanta, Georgia's Fathom Studios, a division of Macquarium Intelligent Communications, which began the project in 1999. It holds the record for worst wide release opening ever with total earnings of $511,920."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delgo_(film)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Made a sketchbook update... I'm going to stop drawing UFC fighters now

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing tonight / Carroll Street Cafe / cabbagetown / 7pm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    link to this Urban Sketch Blog I found recently, pretty interesting stuff http://www.urbansketchers.com/

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akabraille For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so tuesday night sketching is looking good for me this week.

Yall down? come on out! do it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will be there tomorrow

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trevor and ben, good times last night!

all>>>
    attendance at meetings has been declining steadily from its former glory. maybe it's the economic downturn or just good fortune for us all, or perhaps you all discovered you had a knitted hat allergy. i know i've had some time and travel constraints lately and haven't really been able to come. Are you guys still interested in holding these meetings? i know lots of you check the board here and i'm curious about your thoughts. I have always and continue to get a lot out of hanging out with you guys, talking and working together, but maybe interest and value is waning? Is there anything we could change (maybe day of week, time, or location?) that would be more convenient for the krew?

Wanting maybe to start a discussion to figure out what's up

cheers yall and merry christmas!

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys,

Guggs/All: While I haven't been participating in the weeklies, I would be down for more planned day type field trip events. As it is now, traveling after work is not particularly affordable (both in time and money). I don't have any good ideas right now about revitalizing the CATL mojo, but perhaps a few days of brainstewing will get the juices flowing. More later...

I wish you all a very merry holiday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has been seriously lacking in 80's themed nostalgia. Good thing I just discovered this for our viewing pleasure:

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Grendel Grack For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that attendance has definitely been waning. I think that a change of locale might be good. As much as I like Borders, I think I'd be more satisfied if we could go somewhere that was open later. 3 hours of hanging out is not quite enough for the Hour of driving that we have to do. Any suggestions? Also, if a change of day is deemed necessary, I'm fine with any day except Wednesday and Friday.

On another note, I'm going to be moving closer to town in a couple months (dunwoody/buckhead area), so I will be available for more frequent in-town events, but less available for Thursday meets.

My Sketchbook
    My Website
    Atlanta Sketchgroup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guggz: I agree with nofingers on the change of venue, even if it's just to the B&N that's around the corner from the usual Borders. I seem to recall that B&N location is open until 11pm, which is an hour later than Borders. It's been a while since I've been in there, so I'm not too familiar with the seating situation. If only there was a B&N that served alcohol...

In other news, I just found this bootleg video of...wait for it...the Tron 2 teaser trailer! I don't know about the rest of you, but I hit the whole 80's arcade craze squarely in my youth, and Tron was an amazing experience for a wide-eyed Atari 2600 junkie. Apparently, I'm not the only one--just listen to the crowd as a certain someone's involvement is revealed. The cycles look amazing, and the whole film will be done using the latest 3d and imax tech. Should be out in late 2010.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

ali aka aka braille>>> if you received more art powers for xmas we may all be done for. srsly keep up the improvements!

grack>>> haha... did you spot hugh jackman in there? apparently they spliced in footage from the movie helen of troy too! Impressive dupe! (yeah, i didn't catch it, my coworker who's a thundercats fan did. hehe) i'm trying to put something together for a studiowarming at my place sometime in the next month, so stay tuned. thanks for the input!

nofingers>>> thanks for the heads up doood! and i'm beaming about your being around instead of getting shipped out in a rage-crate. Have you been to that borders across from phipps plaza? 2 stories and the cafe area is massive... with natural light even. in the summer might be good for observing sunsets or something. Other ideas we'll work on i suppose. i agree about wednesday and fridays being kind of bad, so maybe... monday or tuesdays? hmmm... thanks for chiming in!

tron-ifex>>> hot find from rutube! heh... srsly i need another dose of futurist data. will have to check out the game you mentioned. on PC i suppose? cheers! input appreciated!

all>>> i will be at Borders Books and Coloring Supplies in Dunwoody bullying my new sketchbook pages tomorrow night. the last catl gathering of 2008? this has been a tough but very good one! i'm just glad my transportation issues appear to have been going favorably lately, knock on bone. anyone else down? i have new vogue collections book!

i think that's it for nowz

m

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gugg: Thanks, just got to get into the habit of practicing more often.

All: I'll try to make it up to Borders.

KingUnicorn is offline Between the world of the seen and unseen... Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to add some additional comments here regarding CATL status:

I'm with Grack on the monthly event issue. I'm onto one too many projects to leave them unattended during the weeknights, so I'd be more open to making an appearance at an event arranged monthly or possibly bi-monthly.

If those sorts of events continue to be infrequent prospects, then I'll just wait until I have an opening and drop in wherever you all decide to move the weekday meetings.

Hope the holidays were relaxing and productive and filled with unexpected treats. I scored a terrific amount of inspirational artwork (including some original pen/marker work from personal hero Vincent Locke).

On to 2009!

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Members who have read this thread: 3