Teaching myself art while in college

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Teaching myself art while in college

Hey guys I just started at a liberal arts university and I'm not sure if I want to attend an art college in the future, so I might as well hone my skills here. I was just wondering what works for other people who do this, like do you plan out your own agendas and goals frequently? For now, I'm going to focus on anatomy, the basics, start working digitally, but I'm looking for advice that will keep me working at a high level throughout the year. I feel like there are so many resources available, it just takes dedication to do it on your own. Thanks!

~ Stephen

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the best schooling I ever had!

I took a workshop with a guy named Jim Orr and he rocked my world - I learned more from him in a few days than in all of college - he now sells a DVD that is his current coursework - it's at Dick Blick I think - if not his site will probably have it www.jdorr.com

Great stuff! Good luck...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwolfb87
    Hey guys I just started at a liberal arts university and I'm not sure if I want to attend an art college in the future, so I might as well hone my skills here. I was just wondering what works for other people who do this, like do you plan out your own agendas and goals frequently? For now, I'm going to focus on anatomy, the basics, start working digitally, but I'm looking for advice that will keep me working at a high level throughout the year. I feel like there are so many resources available, it just takes dedication to do it on your own. Thanks!

~ Stephen
    Stay with the basics for now and work your way up. Learn the figure first and learn to draw from observation. Tackle the traditional painting methods before tackling the digital painting skills- it's always a good foundation to have. Don't be afraid to push your limits and your comfort zone. Only you know what's gonna push your buttons as far as a challenge. See what's being done here and put your twist on things.

And just keep doing it. It's not a process you pick up in one day and master; it's a lifelong career/ lifestyle that you're embarking on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips! Yeah that's why I'm holding off on a wacom for now, it forces me to use (and enjoy) traditional media

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wacom tablets are wonderful but I will admit I did learn how to paint first long before I used a tablet. Painting traditionally has a certain tactile charm to it where digital can be so far removed.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.