Art Foundations Forum Proposition.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Foundations Forum Proposition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Art Foundations Forum Proposition.

Hey all,

I figured this must be the most appropriate place to post this:

While there is an overwhelming amount of breathtaking art on this forum, there is also its share of less breathtaking art. Aspiring artists are often aware of the fact that their pieces lack 'something'. In the vast majority of cases, it seems to be a lack of a very fundamental element in art.

While the critique center and the sketchbook threads are already an awesome resource, I feel not enough emphasis is put on the art fundamentals, which in my opinion should be put out of the way before anything concept-related is attempted. There is so much art on this forum that is an attempt at something the artist is not capable of...

Under a different account, I have been a member of the CA Academy. At first it seemed like a good idea, but it eventually died because of a lack of interest and commitment. I believe this is due to the fact that a step form one assignment to the next was far too big, and attempting one assignment and then failing, being very demoralizing.

While the absolute fundamentals may be boring, they are essential. It is undeniable, yet many aspiring artists are oblivious to this, and often, disturbingly, by choice. I would love to help artists realize and accept this fact and help them along their journey in art by offering them a solid base to build upon by means of lectures and assignments.

Here is what I suggest:

What?

A forum where beginner to intermediate level artists will create a solid foundation, or reinforce said foundation in art.

To start off there will be a general, introductory lecture (a sticky, closed thread) on what the fundaments in art are, what is to get out of them and something about attitude and motivation.

Then there will be an array of specific, short lectures numbered in a logical order for the reader to progress in. Some lectures will have small assignments that can be submitted in a separate submission thread to be evaluated and criticized.

Where?

There should be a forum in the ARTWORK section alongside the CRITIQUE CENTER and the FINE ARTS, STUDIES, & DISCOVERY section.

Who?

I will be drafting many of the lectures and hope to have them reviewed by an accomplished artist from the forum. For the next four months, I will have about 6 hours time to spend a day writing lectures and criticizing assignment submissions.

It would be great if I could gather a team of artists with knowledge in fundamentals to help out on the criticizing.

To keep artists committed to the foundation program, I think it would help if artists would have to ‘sign up’ informally for it. I think the best way would be by having a small ‘AP’ (art foundations) next to the avatar, similar to a COW star, that only a moderator could give. The AP would be awarded to artists willing to be committed to the Art Foundation forum, and help advertise for it on the rest of Conceptart.org

The whole idea is pretty sketchy for now, but if any of you may be interested or have a suggestion to make, drop a line!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reminds me of the middle class that used to be here. Not sure why its gone/failed.

Anyways, I was going to start up a thread probably today actually with some basic exercises (real quick and dirty) that I thought could help some people out and then open it up for some other people to teach what they know. I've got two quick activities planned and finished already. I think it might be best as a freestyle project akin to the New Media Coloring Books.

I'm not sure something as "strict" and "orderly" (not to mention a colossal effort and change to the forums) like what your talking about is going to work so well, but I'm down.

Here is a snippet I have prepared for the thread I was talking about: (the general idea is to learn from peers and to analysis what you did and why)
    So. this thread is here to educate ourselves, it will go something like this:
    A: The projects will be set-up with a goal in mind, specific or loose depending on the general idea and lesson in mind.
    B: Do the project and create a dialogue of what you did and why. (Try and think about this while you do the project.)
    C: The Dialogue will be analysed by your peers; (Right or wrong, the idea is to have a reason why and explain it. I think this will be key )
    D: And of course at the same time peer critiques will be offered. (Pretty simple no?)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Why do you think you need to re-invent the wheel?

Well, I'll give you 20 gold stars for enthusiasm, but I gotta take away 18 1/2 of 'em for lack of research...I'll reserve 1/2 star until I understand a few things clearer.

1. Why do we need another area to emphasize the "Basic Foundations" of Composition and Design, when,
    ...A. Finally Finished, the Critique Center and Sketches & Works In Progress already provide 3 levels of completion and skill for feedback and comments, all of which already tend to emphasize those "Basics."
    ...B. The Fine Arts, Studies & Discovery section already provide numerous and various discussions on the Basics of Composition and Design, with it's main focus being "The technical side to art." There are also various stickies at the top of this forum focusing on specific skills, such as "Drawing from the Imagination," "Master Copies," and "Life Drawing."
    ...C. There are NUMEROUS threads and stickies throughout this site encouraging participation, and skills development, such as the aforementioned threads in FA,S&D, as well as the "New Media Coloring Book," "Illustration Activities," "Thunderdome," and "Challenge Arena."
    ...D. There is a specific area entitled "Tutorials, Tips and Tricks" providing in depth, step by step, technical examples, and some very insightful information (I STRONGLY suggest you look at this tutorial which does a fairly comprehensive job of covering "the Basics..."
    2. Short of a gun to the head of every new/inexperienced member, how do you propose to get them to "realize and accept" this "solid base," which we ALREADY offer here at CA in numerous incarnations?
    3. Why do you feel that an art site, specifically designed to focus on Concept Art, needs to put more emphasis on Art Fundamentals than it already does, when there are NUMEROUS other sites such as you propose. www.WetCanvas.com , www.epilogue.net , www.thecreativeforum.com (which has a SPECIFIC Art & Design Principles Forum area), and others already in existance?

That is not the purpose here, to become a general art école. This site is specifically oriented towards Concept Art. That is how it should be.

Please do not think that I am in any way discouraging you spending your 6 hours a day writing lessons to help our members, but please do not delude yourself that you are filling some "niche" here that has been neglected.

I do not see the need to create another area here at WC that would be redundant to so many components of this site that are already in place and functioning. Perhaps you could post your lessons in FA, S&D, with the offer to critique any submissions to those lecture threads.

You ALWAYS have a "team" of artists with knowledge about "the Basics." We've been here since long before you joined...

You will find that requiring "sign ups" for your vision will be ineffectual in a Forum environment for the most part. Participation will ALWAYS be voluntary, and new members will come and go, participating without signing up, and not participating after they have signed up...that's kind of the nature of the beast...

While it would be interesting, and possibly motivational to offer some sort of Participation icon, similar to the COW star, I feel we are almost at "icon saturation" with the avatar icons we now have. Avatars shouldn't look like an army general's chest full of medals...Being able to post complete works that display a knowledge and skill level correctly utilizing "the Basics" should be reward enough.

Idiot Apathy, I would suggest you post your "self-educational challenge" thread in Fine Arts, Studies & Discovery, as that would be the best place for such a "structured" event. That is not the purpose of SWIPs.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Madster, thanks for enlightening me.

I will post what I had in mind in the Fine Arts, Studies & Discovery section as you suggested.

Thanks for clearing these points out for me, But I don't see the need to be so harsh and belittling.

Last edited by Alex J Cunningham; October 4th, 2005 at 04:00 PM.
    ------------------------------------
    Help motivate me! Visit my sketchbook

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harsh is a subjective term.
    Belittling is a personal reaction problem.
    I merely state facts and my opinions without sugar coating, or false platitudes.
    That you feel belittled was not my intent. My command of the English language is such, that had I intended to belittle you, I would have done so in FAR less words...

You're most welcome for the clarification.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is why we love madster.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harr! Anyways, see you in the Fine Arts, Studies & Discovery thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also plan to jump on this once you get it rolling in the Fine Arts thread.

Members who have read this thread: 1