I thought I should buy some George B. Bridgman stuff, help me with the decision, plea
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I thought I should buy some George B. Bridgman stuff, help me with the decision, plea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I thought I should buy some George B. Bridgman stuff, help me with the decision, plea

please,
    what is better, the human machine or constructive anatomy. and are Heads, Features and Faces, Bridgman's Life Drawing and The Book of a Hundred Hands! worth buying?
    And perspective made easy is the best book for learing everything about perspective, as well about 3 fleepoint perspective? or is there a better book?

artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen the human machine book before, but i've got Constructive Anatomy and the book of a Hundred Hands. They're both great books and I know a lot of the artists here swear by Constructive Anatomy. Try looking around used bookstores, that's where I got all of mine; they're usually very cheap and in fairly good condition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, I live in germany and there you can not leave through these books untils you havenīt bought them. You can only order them>_< thatīs why I ask, but I thik constructive anatomy would be great and perspective made easy also. Is there a book, whichs theachs you how to draw people in perspective?

artwork

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On Amazon I bought four of his books, it was incredibly cheap, 2 books for less is a great deal, give that a go.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just get Bridgman's COMPLETE GUIDE TO DRAWING FROM LIFE - Im pretty sure its all the books in one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually found Bridgman's books easier to understand than Hogarth's. Hogarth has a ridiculously distinctive style that he almost seems to be forcing on you when you read and look at the pictures

I've got Constructive Anatomy, and I hear it's a bit better than the Human Machine, although they're both good. Rascar Capac (yay, Ranko icon! ) has a good suggestion if you want to cover all bases, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah they just recently republished "Bridgemans Complete Guide to Drawing from Life" with a soft cover, so it will probably be cheaper. Also I recently picked up a book called "Drawing People, solutions for drawing the clothed figure" or something like that (I'm at work...I'll edit when I get home with the actual title and authors name) that has turned out to be very informative, and despite the name it covers more than just clothes. It was written by a woman who taught at the San Fran Acedemy of Art College for some time and seems to be loaded with good information, and not just the same ole anatomy diagrams (not that those arn't important and useful, but they can be kind of technical and not necessarily very useful to someone trying to learn to draw full figures...I think basic stucture, perspective, weight, and line of action are all really more important than the exact placements and names of non superficial muscles...although knowing the names can make you sound smart at parties )

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have both constructive anatomy and the human machine. I find constructive anatomy to be more useful, but they're both good. Given the choice between the two, I'd go with that one. I'm not certain about the others, but I'd imagine they're all great to varying degrees.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MoP
    I actually found Bridgman's books easier to understand than Hogarth's. Hogarth has a ridiculously distinctive style that he almost seems to be forcing on you when you read and look at the pictures

I've got Constructive Anatomy, and I hear it's a bit better than the Human Machine, although they're both good. Rascar Capac (yay, Ranko icon! ) has a good suggestion if you want to cover all bases, though.

So im not the only one who thinks that!! - his figures look like possessed manaquins. (I know people are gonna say "oh yeah?" lets see your poses....but cmon)

Theres also a small book called "THE HUMAN FIGURE" by John H. Vanderpoel
    you might want to check out. I think he was Bridgman's teacher.

MOP - Glad to see there's another tintin fan around here

Last edited by Rascar Capac; October 4th, 2005 at 07:24 PM.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blahm
    hogarth or bust.
    Nooo, George rocks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MoP

i used to think Hogarth's anatomy looked wierd too then i realised that its exagerated to force you to remeber where stuff is. Its helped me alot. Bridgman uses alot of line art to represent form, where Hogart tryes to make it more obvious.

Last edited by Blahm; October 5th, 2005 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascar Capac
    just get Bridgman's COMPLETE GUIDE TO DRAWING FROM LIFE - Im pretty sure its all the books in one
    yes, I bought that, and a german book on perspective. that book, which learns how to draw cloth seems to be interesting as well^^

artwork

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was "Drawing People: How to portray the clothed figure." By Barbara Bradley. Here's a link to it at Amazon There's nothing but good reviews about it, and alot of them say what I did about it being a great all around drawing book, not just clothing. I'm definatly happy with the purchase.

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgeman's complete guide has all of his smaller books included. So dont buy all of the small books seperately, just buy the complete guide, which is pretty cheap.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.