Recommendations for a tablet?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Recommendations for a tablet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Recommendations for a tablet?

I'm looking to finally purchase my first digital tablet. I have around 150 pounds to spend and am looking for something thats going to last me for atleast 3 years.

It obviouslly needs to be purchasable from an English source whether that be a shop or an online site (online site would be better).

Many thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We really should have a stickied thread for this. This is easily the most often posted topic in the forum.

Get a Wacom, preferably an Intuos, but a Graphire will do if you're on a tight budget. The bigger, generally, the better, as long as you've got the desk space.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    try using the search function, there are much more indepth discussions on tablet types than what you'll get here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use wacom Intuos II A5 tablet and it is quite enough.

"As you think, so shall you become."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While I heartily agree with Magic Man, I will say that Wacom Intuos is the way to go. I received an Intuos 3 9x12 two days ago and it is hard to not be using it and practicing. Wacom does sell refurbished models I noticed on their site, but I am not sure of the quality of these. I will say that the 9x12 is a little big for use and I should have gone a size down, but I am still getting used to the thing. You will find that the mouse is much more accurate than an ordinary mouse as well. Getting used to drawing on a pad in front of you and having it show up on the monitor is the trick. I have read that some people use a paper over the pad, but I am trying to get used to the Wacom without this method.

bat

----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would reccomend a 9x6 Intuos 2 for you, it's a nice comfortable middle ground and a great way to get used to a tablet. However, the Wacom home page has a little quiz you can take to find out which size and style of tablet is right for you.

Check out amazon.com for the best prices. I got my new tablet a week ago from there, brand spankin' new for about $100 cheaper than retail.

Regarding size... here are two cents. I've always been comfortable with 9x6 or bigger (I hate working smaller, too much wrist drawing and not enough arm motion). Avoid Graphire if you can, it's only half as sensitive as Intuos.

A lot also depends on your monitor size. Obviously you can callibrate any size tablet to fit your screen, but I prefer to work with dual monitors, so like bat I got a 12x9 Intuos 3 and it's been love since day one. I'll never go smaller again ^_^

Last edited by Steph Laberis; October 2nd, 2005 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe instead of reading the forums I should just get practicing and not whine about how big it is.

I am using it between two computers, one being a laptop for travel and basically using it to replace a sketchbook in some instances.

Back to practice......

b

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using a volito. It's fucking shit, so damn small, but I can't afford to get anything better right now. But there's a chance i might get a financial boost in the near future and then I' m definitely going to try and get an intuos or something like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't live without my Wacom Intuos 12x12. It has become an extension on my arm. But it's a big ol pig and takes up a lot of desktop real estate.

Sigh.. I said "desktop real estate".

A smaller Wacom fits well inside your budget and fit on your workstaton better.

USB is a lot faster than serial port!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A question I posted in my tablet thread that wasn't answered:

Does anyone have experience with the Wacom Airbrush? I have used a traditional airbrush for many years and I am wondering if the electronic airbrush is comparable. It does appear to work like a dual action airbrush.

Any information would be really appreciated,

bat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've had some limited experience with a digital airbrush and I just dont like em!

I've used a real airbrush for ages and I await the day they can get a pointer device to come halfway near the action my beloved Olympus and Iwatas.

I'm sure with enough practice and fiddleing with the options you could get it to do what you want.

cheers~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a Wacom Intuos3 6x8...its perfect for me..since my strokes are not too long...

I know a couple people who have the smaller size wacom 4x5...and are currently looking to change to a 6x8 size

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.