Sketchbook: Qxzi's Sketchbook [UPDATED - 20th August] - Page 17
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update Dude! :cheesy smile: :]

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Q!

The Bridgman studies are showin' tons of improvement in the last month! Way to go!

Something that AarghMisfit and I were talking about awhile back is drawing from memory, and this is something that you can use your Bridgeman studies help you learn to do. Basically, the idea is to help you see things and remember them, and to ultimataly build a visual vocabulary in your head. This will help everything out, because it'll help you SEE things and remember WHAT you see, HOW it was shaped, and WHY it looks the way it does in varying conditions.

Okay. So you're doing your Bridgeman studies. Do one of the figures, and then on a seperate sheet of paper, do it AGAIN. Basically, pay attention on the first drawing to what you are doing, and then work on the second one until you get stuck. Then you can look at the first one for a minute and go back to the second one until you get stuck again. It's a pain at first, but gets easier the more times you do it. This can be done with ANYTHING too. Next time you're out around town, or waiting for the bus look at things, and "draw" them in your mind. Really describe to yourself how they look, and build up a vocabulary of mental reminders so you can remember the shapes etc later. Then, when you're back where you can draw again, try to draw what you saw. It's okay if you get stuck. If you can, go back to the place, look, remember, and then go home and draw again.

I haven't done as much of this as I should be, but it really does get easier to remember if you train yourself. I hope this made sense, and wasn't too out of the blue. You're doing great work, man and showing tons of improvement. Keep up the good work!

Your friend
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1 YEAR AGO I MADE THIS SKETCHBOOK!!!!! 1st October 2005 O YES!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!! I think i have improved and its all because of you guys, thanks!!!!! 1 YEAR !!!!!

Oh yea, sorry about not updating, had loads of stuff to do!

darkchild - thanks man, hmm, i need someone to pose for me, interesting

dCepT - i think you made sense, i got it. Thanks for the tips! !

That fat kid - im going to hopefully do some more eye studies, thanks

Idiot Apathy - i havnt been able to use them YET, but maybe a little demo will help me. Thanks tho! I will use it!

pennington - i know! I should update 2day!

kingcoyote - hey, thats some good advice there! I can see what your getting at. And im going to practise doing it. Drawing it and, if i get stuck do it again. etc. etc. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Qxzi; October 2nd, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happy birthday? anniversary? anyways glad you updated!!! and with a ton of good stuff. i like how you're use ing basic shapes to start. i think it would be massively helpful if you did a few studies from the books and then did one from life. ask you family to let you study their eye or hand or something. that really helped me see the form better. did i see that you had a color selfportrait somewhere? keep going bro.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good lookin on the Bridgman studies! Steadily improving! I'm with pennington on the studies from life as well.. try to apply what you're picking up from Bridgman.. Don't just copy, try to understand why he does what he draws.. what makes his stuff describe form so well..

Thanks for dropping by my SB!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there welcome back!! Glad to see you are still doing it. Very nice hand and feet studies. I agree with dCept. Also maybe try to add a bit more shading to your work. Lately I've been experimenting with fine cross hatching. It's somewhat time consuming (at least for me it is) but it's well worth when you get to the end result. My suggestion, pick one study (hand, foot, arm, head....) and really spend some time with it. Be observant of the values and slowly build them up. Great progress, waiting for more!

!darkchild!

Feel free to checkout my work:
    darkchild's sketchbook

Don't forget to visit the Critique Section!!

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The guys bring up a very good point. The most important question we can ask ourselves when we do anything is WHY. Tho we do learn stuff from merely copying, we learn a lot more when we ask ourselves why they set the image up the way they did, or why the marks are this way, or why this arm is positioned in this way. It's all inter-related.

Great new studies. The hands are showing a lot of promise, and the line work on them is just stunning. There are a lot of oppourtunities for growth here too, though. Especially in your figures and faces from imagination. This is part of the rason for doing the studies, and why it is so important to ask questions while you're doing them. That way, you can ask yourself the same questions as you work on your OWN stuff.

Keep up the great work, and congratulations on your year anniversary! Hopefully, this year will show as much improvement as last year did!

Your friend
    KC

You can choose to use your powers for good... or you can use them for AWESOME!

check out my sketchbook!
    100 in 100 Days
    Red Herring Illustration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not updating again, started work experience today etc. Im working in a graphic art studio! Its great and they have cool computers

pennington - thanks, and i hope to do more life studies. Thanks for posting

dCepT - thanks man, and like i said to pennington

darkchild - thanks for the comment. And i have done some cross-hatching work, i just didnt have time tonight to post it. Sorry, but i like doing it! Thanks alot !

kingcoyote - thanks! I have to be honest, most of the time i dont ask myself, WHY am i doing this? And i should! Thanks!!

Dali master copy - for graphic art, sorry i couldnt fit all of it in!

Name:  art12-013.gif
Views: 459
Size:  206.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice update, just wanted to say congrats on your new job!!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Qxzi, love all the new updates, sorry I havent posted in awhile (You last visited: June 4th, 2006) opps hehe.

Love the last picture you posted thats my new fav one hehe. One year in, you can deffo see your getting better your like a pro now. I like all the work you have been doing on the still life, you have always been good at that from the start but you can see that practise does make perfect! I really liked your oil painting too, really good!

Keep up the work your doing, I will check back in a few weeks time to see more amazing work.

I have also been showing a few people your work from the forums, they all say that your very good and said that imagine in like 5years time your going to be a mind blowing artist! << Very true

Take care - Hope your last week at your company goes well, enjoy it! Not everyday a 15year old gets to do that hehe, wish I could, but then i'm rubbish at art hehe.

Smash^

p.s. Never stop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just done my 2 weeks of work experience at a graphic art agency. It was great. I learnt so much, all on computers tho. No drawing, oh well. I learnt quite alot!

darkchild - it wasnt a job really. It was work experience. But it was very good, and it did actually feel like a real job!

Smash^ - hehe, thanks. Im glad you like it! A pro in 5 years, i hope! I wish! Hope you come back soon, thanks for the comment!

A mixture of imaginational stuff, paintings, self portraits and studies (asking myself why when doing the studies )

Name:  art12-007.gif
Views: 415
Size:  230.5 KB

Name:  art12-009.gif
Views: 411
Size:  215.8 KB

Name:  art12-010.gif
Views: 405
Size:  229.8 KB

Name:  art12-011.gif
Views: 392
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  art12-012.gif
Views: 401
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  art123.gif
Views: 401
Size:  232.1 KB

Name:  art123-001.gif
Views: 388
Size:  119.3 KB

Last edited by Qxzi; October 27th, 2006 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some of my still life paintings for fine art project

Name:  art124.gif
Views: 400
Size:  238.8 KB

Name:  art124-001.gif
Views: 387
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  art124-002.gif
Views: 390
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  art124-003.gif
Views: 385
Size:  197.1 KB

Name:  art124-004.gif
Views: 377
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  art124-005.gif
Views: 383
Size:  134.8 KB

Name:  art124-007.gif
Views: 380
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, been on your sketchbook many times before i've just never left a comment. Great progress throughout your SB and these new paintings are looking awesome.

"No, on second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh wow!! you're getting so good with paints. that self-portrait is fantastic and the soda can really pops out at me too (blue one). good job. the studies are good too. try drawing some from the book and then some from life to apply what you've learned. keep going.

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey qxzi!
    long time no see/post.... been watching though.

I'm impressed of how reguarly you update, thats definitely a good thing, keep doing so.
    There also some nice improvement in your selfportraits.

My Sketchbook

My current areas of interest: Linework, Composition, Visual Library

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not posting in a while, got 2 mocks on atm, in graphic and fine, important times

Sanest - thanks for the comment!

pennington - thanks for the encouragement, glad you liked the paints!

embee - thanks as well!

Fine art - paintings on mdf. For my project. My still life is called "The after party", or something like that

Name:  fineart1.gif
Views: 354
Size:  195.8 KB

Name:  fineart1-001.gif
Views: 429
Size:  226.8 KB

Name:  fineart1-002.gif
Views: 347
Size:  226.2 KB

Graphic art - the project is to illustrate a book cover. I based mine on a drunken guy, hes at his "bitter end"

Name:  fineart1-003.gif
Views: 343
Size:  157.1 KB

Name:  fineart1-004.gif
Views: 347
Size:  193.4 KB

Name:  fineart1-005.gif
Views: 338
Size:  168.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Qzxi !! Glad to see so much improvement, and so much crits for you to work on! thats good isnt it

Alright, I belive all your stuff from life beat up your imagineation stuff with ease...
    sorry, i have no idea how you did these, but htey are AWESOME
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1163284814
    Keep at it!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude all I can say man is keep going! You are kickin ass man. From the time I first saw your work early on to know its crazy where youve gotten to. And maskes where youre going that much cooler. Keep baniging out those pages with figures and body parts man! If you ever get the opportunity, take a sculpting lcass too man. i just got done with one with John Brown and holy moley did it change how I think about anatomy and proportions! It helped my 2d drawing alot.

Also, loving those drunken guy pages, great stuff, really loose!

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - BLOG - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

My old Sketch Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn... Nice job on the paints! And I like all the contrast you put in the Bridgman studies! Just keep going!

d-C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the lack of updates, im starting to get back into it! Sorry again!

Dile.exe - thanks man, and your right thee, all this life has sucked out the imagination in me !

feeesh - thanks for the support man! A sculpting class would be great, but i dont think any are around where i live Need to Search!

dCepT - thanks man! Glad you liekd the paints!

Trying to get back into drawing....

Name:  art111111.gif
Views: 296
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  art111111-001.gif
Views: 296
Size:  192.9 KB

Name:  graphicart-004.gif
Views: 293
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  art111111-002.gif
Views: 298
Size:  141.4 KB

Like Dile said, life drawing has sucked my imagination out of me! I need some tips about it, PLEASE!!!!!!!! I getting really really frustrated about it!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, congrats on your 1 year here! I hear you on that creativity bit. As you noticed I'm slowing down also. What usually helps me is to go through as much art as I can find online. Just to see what other people are doing. Most of the time, that gives me all the inspiration I need to kickstart another series of work. Maybe try a different medium also. Something new would be nice. I'm getting back into digital art again. Also try a different style of art as well. Try darker or bolder outlines, go for a more stylized feel. Try and recreate a known character. I use to redraw the XMen in different costumes and styles. I hope this helps, may not be the best way to go about it. But it has definitely helped me in the past. Whatever you decide don't stop drawing!!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkchild - theres some good advice there, thanks! The Xmen advice was good, thanks for that! Im going to use that soon! Thanks!

A whole bunch of drawings and paintings, including: a master copy, a painting, 2 sp's and drawings from my brothers warhammer book. hehe

Name:  art232323.gif
Views: 281
Size:  124.8 KB

Name:  art232323-002.gif
Views: 286
Size:  158.8 KB

Name:  art232323-003.gif
Views: 279
Size:  228.7 KB

Name:  art232323-004.gif
Views: 353
Size:  108.2 KB

Name:  art232323-001.gif
Views: 280
Size:  211.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice updates! Not much, just wanted drop a line to say great job with this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...8&d=1165601511

Nice use of shade!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey qxzi, i have several tried and tested, imagination testers(restorers) which may be of use to you.
    1;
    get a friend or someone to draw you a squiggle( continuous line though), pretty small, 5x5 cm maybe, bigger or smaller. rotate the paper and look for something familiar( its kind of like making shapes out in clouds). When you get the idea start tryinmg to concive the elaborate idea in your head.

if this makes no sense, ill pm you some examples

another way when working from life, is adding something unusual to what your drawing. You may be drawing your own hand, but instead if making it normal, add eccesive wrinkles, or something sprouting from the fingers.(leaves, etc)

another way which involves someone else-
    one person draws a face at the top of the page and folds it over, so no one can look at it. The next person works from the the shoulders down to the waist and folds it off, and the last person does the legs. You can split into more sections if more people are involved.
    You get some hilarious characters, and its tons of fun.

anyway, hope this made sense, youre coming along nicely, fellow 15 er!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, sweet dedication as usual! Like whats going on here, your rendering is really coming along! Hope you've got some fun stuff planned for the chrimbo hols.
    Really try nailing form, once thats down the others just kinda fall into place. It's all about feeling form in 3d space, rotate it in your head, imagine it as an object in your hands.
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    darkchild - thanks for the comment!

blanquish - thanks for the great advice. Im going to use it staight away! THANKS ALOT!

Badger - thanks for the comment as well, i think studying form is a good idea

Name:  arty12121454.gif
Views: 273
Size:  208.6 KB

Name:  arty12121454-001.gif
Views: 266
Size:  241.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lack of updates!

A sp, a drawing from my mind, a old man portrait from my mind, a painting and a master copy of "The Scream".

Name:  artyhoho.gif
Views: 245
Size:  169.0 KB

Name:  artyhoho-001.gif
Views: 240
Size:  233.3 KB

Name:  artyhoho-003.gif
Views: 314
Size:  139.2 KB

Name:  artyhoho-002.gif
Views: 238
Size:  216.9 KB

Name:  artyhoho-004.gif
Views: 239
Size:  228.9 KB

Name:  artyhoho-005.gif
Views: 245
Size:  211.0 KB

HAPPY XMAS TO YOU ALL!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Happy Holidays to you! I'm glad to see you're still updating. So it's not often, but at least you do. I really like what you did with this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1166963251

You've got some nice things going on in this one. The shadow and the perspective is really cool. You're portraits are good. I do have a questions, I was wondering if you block out any of your proportions before you lay a final line? Some of your lines are really sketchy and some are solid. Your previous inanimate objects pieces are really cool and well done, but when it comes to your faces I don't get the feeling you're spending enough time on the subject. Maybe take a bit more time to really see all the details and shadows of the face. I hope I didn't offend. Take care!

!darkchild!

darkchild's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool stuff;
    thanks for your reply in my sb#beams#
    Just some tips to extend your imagination~part 2

Reference in concept stuff isnt cheating
    1 sometimes you have no ideas. sometimes you want to draw something but its to difficult to pull out by yourself. When I draw creatures, 1 out of 3, was helped in some way by an animal reference. Sometimes all you need to do is rough in a few shapes to get the concept going..
    2;
    your previous knowledge( from your studies from ref and life) form the basis of your skills, and your capacity to be creative.
    In other words, the more variety and knowledge of objects and things, increases the "originality" of your designs.

The 3 most important things when drawing from imagination are
    : good form~ does it loook 3 dimensional?
    Light; does it look realistic, s there shadow
    values; a range of dark and light values, generally darker for better contrast.
    design: does it suit any real life applications, could it be worn, or work in a real life situation.
    practice, practice, practice
    ..and have fun

take care
    Alex

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Qzxi!

Oh well, Im sorry for not comeing by more lately, I just havent seen your sb up top I guess, maybe I have, I dont know, however, awesome improvement
    I see your observation skills have runned away pretty quick, thats awesome, the thing is that its good to be able to do stuff from imaginations as well =)
    Stuff to do is thumbnails, (try to find a sillhoutte or shape you like) and then
    work it out, all the way to a finished picture.
    Find a fashion magazine or something, and apply some of it to your own charachters, everything to get your imaginations going is great! you dont wanna loose it do you ?

However, this is just some tips , so, keep it up =) You improved
    tons already, just keep this speed-rate up and you'll improve even more

~Dile

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2