Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Art in your relationships.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    freaking true indeed

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,579 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "someone once told me, all his artsy girlfriends were psychobitches though..."

Yeah...ain't it wonderful?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Art can be used to work ones way into someone's pants. Ask a girl if she wants to model nude for you:

Yes = she might have sex with you.
    No = she still might have sex with you, but it might take more work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thankfully my fiance doesn't feel jealous or left out or anything when I get absorbed in my work. Doing my art makes me happy -> me being happy makes me want others to be happy -> me taking care of him to make him smile. Plus, he enjoys looking at my work.

The only hard part; he's not himself an artist. He's doodled and colored, but it's not his thing. So when I get all excited about something, and want to just show off and discuss a new technique I was trying and in general squee over my wonderous (gotta love the euphoric feel of accomplishing something) new piece, I can't really get him in to it too. All my real life friends are like that.

It's just hard being with non-artists. Not to say I would ever replace my fiance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash
    Art can be used to work ones way into someone's pants. Ask a girl if she wants to model nude for you:

Yes = she might have sex with you.
    No = she still might have sex with you, but it might take more work.
    Ok, I know this was probably said as a joke, but it perpetuates the stereotype non-artists have about artists who draw from the nude figure.

I love figure drawing. It's one of my favorite things to do. It's frustrating that for some people nude figure drawing is associated in their minds with sexual activity. Certain representations of artists by the media have not helped this. *cough*Titanic*cough*

Certainly some artists (including in history) have had romantic relationships with their models, but I would prefer not to have this stereotype perpetuated and expanded to include all artists.

I am sensitive to this issue I suppose, because it is often assumed that the artist is male and the nude model is female. The male is the strong, creative artist and the woman is the nude, vulnerable (usually reclining) sexual object.

I have been in figure drawing classes where all of the other artists are male and the model doesn't show up. The person next to me then says, "Why don't you jump up on the stand, Emily?" *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* as if it is somehow my job because I am the female in the room.

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We made cracks about that in class even before starting to draw models. I never regarded the girls in my class as objects for that. It's just teasing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course the women get upset, i still think its funny.

And in reality, is a very REALISTIC method of picking up girls. Regardless if you girls here want to believe what the rest of your population does when presented with that scenario. But then again, remember, some girls get all hot and steamy if you have a nice car. Its all about who you talk to.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Men are usually branded pigs until proven otherwise. I never really cared about that, but you gotta expect that reputation to rub off in some way. I don't label women, but the whole stereotyping thing goes both ways regardless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emily, I think the 'female model stereotype' is well grounded. Most models ARE female. I was posting ads everywhere back when I was looking for a new model and of all the replies I got, only 3 where male. I got close to a dozen females though. I did not mention my own gender in the ads... but I did say it would be for one-on-one sessions, not even a group of people.

I think it's because females themselves self perpetuate the idea of being 'beautiful' and being viewed as an 'object of beauty'. They like being looked at. That's horribly narrowminded, but it seems to hold pretty true.
    Males, on the other hand, seem to be preconditioned to think that being naked in front of a bunch of people, or even one person, if it's not in a sexual context = gaaaaaaayyyyy.

well, not literally gay, but not something that -most- guys view as something they'd like to do. I think most guys just don't like being looked at. I know I never have posed nude, even for past gfs who were artists... but I've asked it of every girlfriend..how hypocritical is that?

come to think of it.. EVERY male model I've ever drawn in a session, with the exception of one hefty senior citizen who probably just didnt care anymore, has been in reasonably good shape. There were no fat guys, they were all pretty trimmed.

the females on the otherhand, have run the gamut. old, young, thin, fat, toned, soft.

Maybe males are the more self conscience gender?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolas
    Dude, that was me! wasnt it?!
    well, if it wasnt....I agree!
    Yeah that was you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I was in art school, I was convinced that I needed to date an artist...shortly there after I realized that all the artist girls that I knew or got to know all seemed to have like 30 something boyfriends, so I ended up in the dreaded "friend-zone" pretty much 99.9% of the time. The .1% started out good, but then quickly led to the revelation that I thought we were dating and she didn't. Since school (about 4 years, lived with my parents for a year, then Wilmington NC, and now (shudders) Orlando FL) I hadn't casually met a single artist until I went back to school for computer animation, and my class was like 80 dudes and one married girl. I don't know how I've managed to avoid knowing artists. It was really difficult after being at school for it for years then to suddenly move back in with my parents (who had since moved from where I grew up) with 0 friends and no social contact save work. I managed to keep working but at a drastically reduced pace and with basically no outside input except my artist mother, but everything is great to your mother. Anyway, it wasn't until I went back to school for computer animation that I discovered to the world of internet art forums and rejoined something similar to an artistic community.

Anyway, back to the point...I'm in a wonderful relationship now (going on 3 years) though and I've managed to get her into art and she's always been supportive of me spending time on my art, even when I was in school like 12 hours a day. So I guess if you can't find 'em, make 'em!

James Ball

Last edited by Cthogua; October 2nd, 2005 at 03:18 PM.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emily g
    Ok, I know this was probably said as a joke, but it perpetuates the stereotype non-artists have about artists who draw from the nude figure.

I love figure drawing. It's one of my favorite things to do. It's frustrating that for some people nude figure drawing is associated in their minds with sexual activity. Certain representations of artists by the media have not helped this. *cough*Titanic*cough*

Certainly some artists (including in history) have had romantic relationships with their models, but I would prefer not to have this stereotype perpetuated and expanded to include all artists.

I am sensitive to this issue I suppose, because it is often assumed that the artist is male and the nude model is female. The male is the strong, creative artist and the woman is the nude, vulnerable (usually reclining) sexual object.

I have been in figure drawing classes where all of the other artists are male and the model doesn't show up. The person next to me then says, "Why don't you jump up on the stand, Emily?" *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* as if it is somehow my job because I am the female in the room.

emily

oh for the love of god, who cares. I've never really seen a serious BAD result of this stereotype, only hilarious ones. Either people just make jokes about models and artists having sex, or some lucky artist gets some good wholesome sex AND a figure drawing session in one night.. Seriously, lighten up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ouch. Sorry to have offended you ladies. One thing is a serious life drawing session, a completely different thing is a cheesy pickup line used often in combination with alcohol. The two should not be mixed up.

Emily: what's another stereotype for us artists? We drown in them already, its just a drop in the ocean.

And yes, it was meant as a joke.

To add to the stereotypes, i was gonna write what would happen if a girl asked a guy to pose nude: (but i was tired and didnt bother.)

Yes = He wants to have sex with you.
    No = He wants to have sex with you.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually. I've been worried about my art so much lately.. I've been drawing almost all day everyday. My woman and I eventually broke up because I did'nt spend enough time with her.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emily g

emily
    I had to give up figure modeling for that very reason. I was modeling before I got married and some not to subtle signs from my then girlfriend, told me it was time to quit before she ever found out. Jump ahead 25 years later as we're divorcing. Over lunch one day I briefly mention that I had modeled in the past and was considering going back to it. She flew into such a rage! "Thats disgusting!" "You pervert!" "I never would have married you if i knew you did that before you met me!" I was floored. We were members of the Art Institute in Chicago and had plenty of exposure to nudes of both genders. She wasn't a prude by any stretch of the imagination, but I was sure glad I held my tongue 25 yrs ago

Bob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i would love to get my bf to expand his horizons and to draw with me. i definatly think he has potiential. he probably wont be the next picaso but who knows right? but he says he cant draw because drafting class ruined him. if it isnt a straight line with a ruler, he cant do it. but id love to sit down one day and cox him to try again. it would be lots of fun...i dont care if he ends up doing it forever, i just thought it would be nice to share the experience you know?

as for the rest of the discussion. art really can touch a person. i really dont think i have much of an experience of it though. i give my bf drawings every so often...but other then that i havent done much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash

Yes = He wants to have sex with you.
    No = He wants to have sex with you.
    Hahaha. Oh man, that was awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My boyfriend is always supportive of my art. He's always "You haven't done any art in a while, go and do some" or "Will you draw me something". Quite sweet really.
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    Actually. I've been worried about my art so much lately.. I've been drawing almost all day everyday. My woman and I eventually broke up because I did'nt spend enough time with her.
    You should have combined the two by drawing her!

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We tend to help each other out in our art, different areas of expertise 'n' all that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was sort of close with this one girl, she was a ballerina, and I did an oil paint of a ballet dancer as a Christmas present for her... Umm, she's currently dating someone else who I don't have a very high opinion of... again...

I'm not very lucky when it comes to women to say the least... but she did really like the painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never been with a girl that was an artist, in fact I think I've only even known about two female artists. One was just irrational and emotional as hell for no goddamn reason, and the other was cool, but we never really clicked. I think it would be a refreshing change for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.