Art in your relationships.

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art in your relationships.

After a few girls, i noticed something odd. I dont know if anyone else had this happen, but one or two of my ex's was with me because she was really marveled by my art. Kind of like more of a fan then a girlfriend.

Then it got me thinking, i usually make gifts for my girlfriends. A carved wooden rose for valentines, or maybe steel and copper.. well you get the idea. The girls always LOVE it, because they are used to cards/flowers/candy and nothing unique. I have an ex, who to this day keeps my valentine's day present (a wood and copper rose) above her headboard in her room.

Makes you think; how much does your art really impact your personal life, doesn't it? Anyone else have these kinds of experiences?

My work: [link]
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wait... if I learn to draw better girls will like me?! Why didn't they tell me that in school? I'd be a master by now!

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ever since high school i've made it a requirement that any girl who dates me has to let me draw her. Usually they love it and take it personally and think I'm all romantic and adoring... but I just like having a free model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I built someone a death machine for their birthday this year.. it was pretty cool, all cardboard and ducttape.

It was for this girl I know, she's my arch-nemisis, so I am trying to destroy her with robots.. its a funny tale.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since I became "legal" deep in the last century, all of my girlfriends, roommates, female friends, and both wives have been artists. I beginning to detect a trend...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Met my boyfriend on an art site, he's going to do 3D now but it is fun talking about art with him. Gives you a lot of feedback as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm more of a converter. When I met my bf he said he could'nt draw a stick figure and had no artistic talent whatsoever. The thing is, he used to tell me I should paint this and that, because he had loads of ideas. Well, it took a lot of ingenuity but I've taught him how to paint, he enjoys it and has way more ideas of paintings than he has time to do them. And now we can have 'stay at home and paint' days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is this topic only reserved for peeps with relationships? Anyway, I dont have anyone in my life right now but I think i've affected some people with my art. I remember sketching at some cafe and then some guy came up to me asking me to sketch him and his daughters. The sketch came up ok but I was able to make them happy. They even said that they would frame it. The feeling was great. This is what I want to do with my Art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My last girlfriend almost dumped me because I was too busy with my art and didn't share enough time with her.
    The one before her didn't care for my passion too much.
    My exexex girlfriend thought the whole art-thing made me sexy.
    They all loved their birthday gifts, which were either drawn, painted, crafted or all of that.
    I have yet to find a girl that is into drawing and arts in general..

someone once told me, all his artsy girlfriends were psychobitches though...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nacho
    I'm one of those *shifty eyes*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have found that if you draw at a coffeeshop it can attract quite a bit of attention in the form of people looking discreetly over theyr shoulders at you wondering if your drawing theyr fashionable 80's haircut or not. There have been times when my sketchbook has been passed around the café and I have been showered with praises. Which is humbling in itself as I know that I am a not-so-great artist compared to most, but who doesnt like praises? really?

Anywho.. I´m single ladies.. oooh yah! Come n get it!

edit : Lousy spelling

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never underestimate the power of sketching to get you attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heheheh I thought I was unique for forging a steel rose for one of my girlfriends...now i find out that i'm not alone...

as for girlfriends: I also always draw them, I never take photos or anything... its cooler this way...

I've got most of my girlfriends through my reenactment business though... Chicks always tend to have that "white knight in a shining armour" -fantasy I guess...
    What they always get is a chaotic barbarian that loves creating things more than his girlfriends... When girls realise that, thats usually the point when they leave...

Realtionships and art? They don't mix. You cant have both in my oppinion

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I met my long term girlfriend at art college, so she's pretty much used to me being a bit weird and arty.

Actually, now I think about it pretty much every woman I've had anything like a relationship was an artist of some sort-I have a thing for spectacle wearing arty women with funny coloured hair I suppose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by VirusArtist
    Realtionships and art? They don't mix. You cant have both in my oppinion
    you guys seem to have alot of that problem, i mean i love art, and i'm better than the average shmoo in my art class and several others, not being..erm... bigheaded or anything, i've not seen everyones art there, so thos who i have i can safely say i am better, but this is because i've prob worked alot harder.. well actually i have i draw very little and seem to get better anyway.. anyone else get this btw? but thats not the point, .. oh thes a squirral outside.. kool.. anyway, the point is i'm passionate about art, alot, but i've always put my girlfriend 1st, given her more attention than anthing else in the world as of that lol. been together nearly 2 and a half years and not once has she complained about coming second to my art.

but i guess its a matter of...erm... beingwho you are.. i think... bleh.. peace out! of to draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno about relationships and art not mixing. All of my exes were artists, with the exception of one and art wasn't the X factor that ruined the relationship(s). I find that some of my most euphoric memories with my artist S/Os have been the times where we are sketching a common subject, saying nothing at all. ^___^

I did find that I would get jealous/competetive if my S/O was better than me in one way or another... and this was usually the case, so that might have put some strain on things. Nowadays I tend to want to glean from them, rather than compete.

And I've never really used art to get a guy. Most guys I dated were in art school, so being an artist was the norm. The only one non-art dude I dated was my shortest relationship (he was an ENGINEER. What was I thinking?!) and the whole thing was summed up in one occurence:

Steph:"Look at the way the shadows look purple on that peach colored wall! It's because of the sunset, the colors are complimentary and that's why they're so vibrant! I wish I could paint that!"

Engineer Dude: "... ... what the hell? The shadows are grey and the concrete is grey too. Concrete is alway grey, that's just the color that it is."

...and no, he wasn't colorblind. At least, not literally.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've found that my g/fs seem very into what I do, very impressed, and I never see it at the time, but they were always on the verge of saying "you are so awesome." (hindsight is 20/20)

I also find that my g/f wants to spend more time with me than I can offer, but that's something she respects.

and yeah... free model.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmm...I and my girlfriend are both into art so we arent too much impressed by the presents of each other Its more the symbol that counts. What has the present to do with her/him ? etc. It can be cheap or made by yourself...its just important that you really say something through the gift.

e.g. = My gf likes black roses so i bought a black fake rose and some normal red ones...i placed the black one in the middle to say shes special among the others...shes my black rose...

isnt love a nice thing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...lately I've gotten somewhat lucky with a few quickies, just because of my art. I had a show two nights ago, and got lucky that same night with someone I had met 5 hours before

My last girlfriend was an artist, so like corky13, she wasnt impressed, it was the symolism that counted. The current-I-dont-know-what-she-is-girl also likes the artwork a lot.

If you read the stories of the famous artists, they seem to get rained with women throughout their life...so I guess that kinda answers the question.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    if there's been any conncetion, I've never really noticed. It might be something a girl thinks is cool once we start talking, but never the initial attraction (to the best of my knowledge)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nacho
    Dude, that was me! wasnt it?!
    well, if it wasnt....I agree!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never had an artist boyfriend.

But me and my husband have the ultimate artfag experience: He's a musician. I'm an artist. We met working in a coffeeshop.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusvell
    Well...lately I've gotten somewhat lucky with a few quickies, just because of my art. I had a show two nights ago, and got lucky that same night with someone I had met 5 hours before
    Wow, thats never happened to me!

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, where can I find a girlfriend as intrested in art as I am
    I don't think I would be able to let a girlfriend come in first hand, that's why I don't have a girlfriend, I don't think I could live with that I hurt her feeling by letting her come second.

But a free model would be nice

To answer the first question. I think art has a big influence in my life, I always draw (not always but most of the time) so people always look over my shoulder to see what I'm drawing, and they give me praise. (I'd rather take the constructiv critique) Where is my girlfriend that's suppose to take that roll.

Hugs!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blue
    Wow, thats never happened to me!
    heh...yea, Im surprised it happened to me, I'm not exactly prince charming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meet my boyfreind in college. He's trying to get into gameing while Iam wanting to get into comics. But some times it is hard for the both of us becuaes when its X-Mas or our birthdays or just anyday that has to do with gifts , we dont know what to give eachother. We both have done drawings for our ex's so i dont know why its hard for us to make things for eachother. But since we are both into art it makes our work time the same. and since he lives with me I know every night when i go to bed and hes at school working the thing the come to mind is that he has to come home to his bed some time. If he dosent come then no bed play time for him in a while Yes i know iam mean but i have to do what i have to do if i want my fun in bed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its great for shy ppl, when you do art its like people have a reason to talk to you. I start talking to them and get lots of friends as such. Its annoying in some social situations tho, as you just want to punch the people.
    "What does that skull represent?"
    "A skull... in a persons head... its just a study."
    "oh... *dissappointed"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by willow-whisp
    Engineer Dude: "... ... what the hell? The shadows are grey and the concrete is grey too. Concrete is alway grey, that's just the color that it is."
    hahahah!

emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...what is a "relationship"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LightKirtar
    Its great for shy ppl, when you do art its like people have a reason to talk to you. I start talking to them and get lots of friends as such. Its annoying in some social situations tho, as you just want to punch the people.
    "What does that skull represent?"
    "A skull... in a persons head... its just a study."
    "oh... *dissappointed"
    that's so freaking true...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.