Serenity (no spoilers)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Serenity (no spoilers)

my wife and I are big fans of the TV series and we just got back from the movie. We really really liked it, no complaints what so ever. They did a good job of reintroducing the characters to folks who are unfamiliar without boring those of us who knew them already.

hopefully, ticket sales will be high enough to allow a second movie or maybe even return the tv series for a new season.

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw it last night (for the second time, I also saw one of the screenings over the summer). I love that movie. I've never seen a movie that affected me like that emotionally. What a roller coaster.

Looks like it's getting pretty good reviews. It only has to make 80 million for there to be a sequel.

Adventure Dog: my work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really don't normally gush about movies, but this may seriously be one of the greatest god damn movies of my life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol again posted after redfive, but again, i agree, amazing movie all around. Really affected me.

my gallery

Member: Team Insect Battle X-Treme ( scorpion squad, mutated monstrosity platoon)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just saw it for the second time tonight, with my boss. Heh, what a crit-fest it was after the movie. I loved the series, and I loved the movie, aside from a couple of things. I only had a couple of issues with the story; the rest lay with execution of some of the sets as well as VFX stuff. Apparently the transition from TV to film created a bit of friction between Joss Whedon and the crew. In fact, Warren Manser ended up leaving in frustration, I hear. I heard that Joss kept trying to run the production like a TV show, and the staff had some problems with that. It can really be seen in some of the ways certain sets were constructed, and continuity from VFX to props/sets. There are a lot of left over props from previous movies and regular Home Depot brand building materials easily identified in the sets. I was also pissed that most of the spaceship effects were done in CG and not models... however I'm a purist, and I understand the financial allure of doing things on the cheap. But some parts really looked as though they were working with TV sized budget, while they were in fact working with $20 million.

My boss and I were a tad aghast considering we achieved similar quality in terms of sets for the TV stuff we've done, but with a fraction of that budget. We'd kill for a $20 million wad behind us and didn't see why certain designed and constructed elements didn't surpass TV quality execution. Apparently Universal had planned to allot $40 million, but Joss offered to do the project for $20 million if he was allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted without studio interference.

This is all nitpicking though. I really enjoyed the movie and really hope it spawns sequels or a revival of the show.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've never heard of the movie and the series before, but you guys seemed to give it high praises. So what makes this good aside from all the sci-fi action? I just saw the trailer and I must say the CGI bits look refreshing! Hope this one comes to my country soon!

Last edited by Dizon; October 1st, 2005 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd read about the series but never seen it. A friend of mine convinced me to go to a one time viewing they had last week. Pretty good. Just like Joss Whedon to keep his shows corny and cool at the same time. The space scenes mixed with that accoustic soundtrack reminded me of cowboy bebop. The whole thing had a nice ring to it, which is hard to get with american movies these days. Well worth my money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a fan of Joss' body of work, but I adore Firefly/Serenity. It is definately one of the best scifi shows/movies to date. Some months ago when I was showing the trailer to a friend at the school lab, two other students walked across the room to watch it though they knew nothing of the series. They were stoked and thought it looked awesome. Here in my city the movie opened in a small theatre, but by the 4PM showing, the manager of the theatre asked the crowd if they'd rather move to the only big theatre because they were filling up the small one.

If you've never seen the series before, you can still utterly enjoy this film. Take a gander at Trailer #2 at serenitymovie.com and see if your interest isn't peaked.

"I aim to misbehave." ~ Mal (Serenity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saw this today and totally loved it. I didn't watch the series, but I was interested in it. I just never knew when it was on.

Definitely recommended.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing is, even people who don't like sci fi seem to enjoy it because it's not like a sci fi movie, it's normal people trying to get by and they happen to live in a world where there are spaceships and stuff.

Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got back from seeing it. I really liked it. I have never seen the series, but now i plan on watching it. Hopefully the movie does well, I would like to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the series and the movie but us much as i did i really dont want to see a sequel to the movie or another series, felt the movie brought it to a acceptable end

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great movie. I am another who never watched the show (I really have no idea why I didn't... I love Sci-Fi and Firefly is definately right up my alley... it just passed me by when it aired I guess, plus I think it got canned with a quickness. Thanks Fox), but after seeing this movie I'm an instant fan. I'll definately be picking up the series on DVD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was a fun film. Go rent the 14 episodes on DVD first if you can. It kind of helps cement the characters more.

END

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Serenity fans

this may be 6 months late but I have just seen the movie Serenity on dvd and may I say here I am another fan in the making. I remember seeing the movie trailer at the theater and thinking "Theres one I'd like to see" but at the same time I was grearing up for King Kong (we were there to see Harry Potter) and some of the other shows. Just didn't get around to seeing it. Now I'm sad I didn't. Oh well.....

Anyawy I did get to watch it and I'd like to see more of this world come out on the screen. I don't know that it will,but I will make it to the theater if another one does. It was interesting without taking itself to serious.

I looking into getting to see the short (on dvd) tv series too.

Bruce ( who enjoys movies)

PS: Check out "The Island" another good one for si/fi lovers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i rented this movie a while ago...well to be honest with you guys, the movie was..OK...not the best sci-fi movie i've seen...i wouldn't rate it like that. I dunno, it just didn't seem to totally impact me. I tend to like older sci-fi movies more. I'll list a few that i really really liked.

Movies
    The Abyss
    The Sphere
    (old StarWars)
    Event Horizon
    Stargate

shows
    Stargate sg-1
    FarScape

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really enjoyed the movie...epic and dramatic at the one hand but i can still laugh my as* of at the other hand some of the scenes are way funnier than most commedys ive ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the fight scenes with the girl were just stupid...she seemed to be moving way too slow and gentle to even be dealing any damage to those dudes. there's no reall good sense of action and how much power was going through those moves...

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    muffinman, gotta agree with you there. there wasnt anything all that "leathal" in the girls movments. at least in the series she picked up a gun and did some cool "i dont have to look where im shooting" gunplay. as far as the movie goes, i liked it. interesting characters and cool effects. the dialouge was rather uninteresting at times though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will have to agree with Muffinman and wakizashi, not that I want to but they are right. The fight scenes with the girl kicking "A" like nobodies buisness was kinda over the top. I do forgive the movie for that. IMO the other 95% of the filck was very good.

As of this time I have also seen the Firefly tv series on dvd .I didn't catch it as it aired on Fox. Being a fan of the series would also have the movie gain points sight unseen from folks that did see the show on tv. Both the series and the movie score high marks as I see it,JMO.

I have come across many Firefly/Serenity fan sites and these guys (like myself) would like to see the Joss/verse continue. Whether it will or not is up to the money gods. If someone happens to stumble upon this post and is looking for what I think is an entertaining si/if feature. Check'em out gorammit.

"I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar."

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumor I heard a month or so ago was that 3 of the Firefly actors were seen leaving the offices of the new CW network together. (CW is the merger of UPN [which is owned by CBS] and the WB networks) I haven't heard anything that substantiates that rumor, tho.

bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the info bwkeough,

its starting out to be a good day.

Bruce

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.