Zombie Comic Pin-Up (Sneak Peak)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Lightbulb Zombie Comic Pin-Up (Sneak Peak)

This pin-up is for a new comic for the "Dead@17" series called "The Protectorate". (published by Viper Comics)

In order to get the most out of all of you helpful artists I'm going to show a few different examples and try to explain what I'm going for so I can get the most centralized crits possible.

1) The inks (with w & n sceptre brush and microns for straight edge):

2) General Colored version:

3) Darker, more muted color scheme:

4) Darker overlays to emphasize mood, This part is just meant as an example. There would be much more work put into it and alot more highlights / mids pulled out.

What I'm going for: What I thought I'd try to do is give it an errie feel and make it seem as if the character to our left (amongst the three non-zombies) had just flicked his lighter to light his cigarette when their eyes confirmed what they heard--zombies surrounding them! Without giving away too much the two guys are zombie hunters, more or less while the chick is the main character and zombies seem to be after her.

Where I want help: Should I make it dark (more like #4) or stick to the feel of #3. I'd still like the lighter to be a source of light either way and perhaps make some moon light coming in the back windows and make the two lights on either side in the back dimly lit also.

CRITS PLEASE!
    ~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    Comic Book Artist / Illustrator
    www.artisticschmidt.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would stick to number 4 myself.

If your character that just flicked his lighter and the whole group saw the zombies, it makes more sense to have the whole scene darker, because in that lighting scheme you have going on for three, that would have seen them quite easily.

I would probably going darker in all the areas that are not receiving light ( most of the benches where the zombies are coming from.) I would most likely play around with just a few illuminated edges of those benches and zombies. Just a hint that there's there, and maybe show more of the zombies shapes where the moonlight would hit them?

Also the zombie shapes in front are weird. They feel a lot more like a projected image than anything else. I know you havent shaded those yet, so it may be just that, but it definitely feels as if they are on the bottom of a ramp that's leading to the main church area.

I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Thanks
    Im going to go with a compromise between 3 and 4. I like the dark background. Its because your lines in the architecture and pews are so crisp that they don't look like they would happen in RL. 4 gives it more atmosphere 3 focuses in on the main characters and 2 is too four color comicbookish.

Make the light-source seem like a spot light hitting the main three characters. Kind of like the last rays of light coming in through a stained glass window. check out some ref on how light looks when it comes through stained glass windows and you may be able to tint some of the highlights with different colors.

Thanks

Admiration from Another zombie fanatic

Hey, Love the artwork, dude. I just joined this site and was drawn to your work becuase of the zombie theme. I'm currently working on an internet novel called the Zombie BIble. Many of the tales in there are already massivley popular on college campuses (though I'm not sure why) and I'm pitching it to Leisure Press and Prarie View Publishing. I also have some of my zombie artwork on this forum under the title Riddle. However,If you'd like to get more critique and exposure for you art, I suggest you send some of your work to homepageofthedead.com and infectedproductions.com. Just say that I "Riddle" recommended you and I'm sure they'll be glad to post your fine work.

Thanks
    Autarkis and bengonzalez,

Thanks guys! This helps me out bunches. I think I definitely want it to be darker like in #4 but perhaps a little of #3 would be nice as well.

I like the idea of them knowing the zombies are there but seeing more clearly what they are up against when the lighter is lit.

You both gave some great comments. Much appreciated!

riddle- Thanks, man! I'll look into that. Good luck with getting your comic published. Keep it real!
    ~Chris

PS.Anyone have any lighting tuts to toss my way? I think that's the biggest challenge at the moment.

J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks

riddle

As for the lighting thingee -I here there is a program (software), that is - made by special effects wizards at ILM (Industrial Light & Magic) that is a complete tutorial and special effects guide about lighting and its effects. It might be under the name "Impressions Lighting" or they may have changed the name for generic reasons. My friend said it may be sold at Circuit City in a month or so. As for him, he used his computer skills to somehow download it off a website. The site for it is supposedly listed on ILM's offical site, though I hadn't checked there myself. Peace. Riddle.

Thanks
    Great linework (as always)!

As for the colouring/lighting: I'd stick with pic 4 adding some strong light edges to the main characters and the "front zombies" (the lightsource being the zippo as you mentioned).

I'd recommend clearly overdoing the strength of the lightsource though to give it a more dramatic and eerie effect.
    Based on that effect the characters as well as the zombies would throw long, disturbing shadows all over the place making the scene seem more dangerous.

The background would benefit from the shadows too, since there seems to be a lotta unused space (not talking about the top of the pic, since thats where the titles will be, I suppose).

A small suggestion for the titles that goes hand in hand with the idea of moonlight coming throught the windows: you could make the titles be hit by moonrays too... Could be a cool effect to integrate the titles into the overall composition.

One thing is bothering me though: the lack of texture and debris in the church... My suggestion: a little blood here, some scattered bibles and limbs there and the place should look like a perfect zombie-hideout...

hope it helps.

Cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

Thanks
    I'd give the guy on the left a light source(a lighter or a small flashlight) in picture number four. Otherwise the pic looks great, reminds me of the Evil Dead series from DDP.

So Many A$$Holes, So Few Bullets.
    - Ford Fairlane

Thanks
    before I read what your goal was I would have suggested #3. But know I´d say something between #3 and #4 would be best ....plus some more work with the shadows.

Some suggestions:
    Light: I think the 3 figures should remain lighted by the fire. And everything around should be darker. Especially the background wall and the zombies near that wall. Apart from making everthing around the heroes darker I´d give the left female zombie some highlight in her face.
    I´d let the girl fully lighted and the guy on her right would get hard shadows on the right side. Also, the zombie on the right half wouldn´t get very much light. But I would give him some highlights on his rised arm. That way it would look more menacing.

Composition: I have to agree with the previous post, that the zombies in the foreground look very flat. It would look more frightening, if they stood nearer to your heroes. But that way they would cover the girls legs.

Persperctive: I know that it is too late now, but for the next pic I´d try to lower the focal point of the perspective a little. That way it looks more realistic and more claustrophobic.

Thanks
    riddle-I will have to keep an eye out for that book. Thanks for the info.

I took a look at those sites you gave but wasn't sure how my art would fit in.

VirusArtist- Thanks, Etienne. AS far as spooky goes I'd say the second final is the way to go but my other problem is that it didn't have much of a comic feel to it. I still like the idea for the zippo lighting the scene but I'm not sure it's necessary either.

Your lighting descriptions are a big help. There is some unused space that I left simple on purpose. There won't actually be a title present. You did have some great ideas to incorporate the title and the composition!

The church shown is actually not meant to be a Zombie lair. Although making it dirtier would add to the feel. These zombies just kind of came in/ showed up. I think a zombie breaking through the door would have been nice also just to show that they don't gove a shit.

Thanks a bunch!

Steve the Dawg- Thank you for the compliment. I'm not really sure how I would add a flash light in there unless I redrew some of it. This book has that Evil Dead thing going on. It's very cool. Check it out if you get the chance !
    Take care.

johnny78- What I ended up doing is a slight combo. More of 3 than 4 though.

I was planning on making the zombies in the foreground bigger but it didn't fit right with the rest of the image. Good idea on the focal point. I'll keep that in mind next time! I don't use perspective as often as I should so I was trying to get back into it with this piece. Great advice!
    Thanks!

~Chris

J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks

Exclamation Final Pin-up!

Lighter

Darker

Any preferences?
    Thank you all for your crits!
    ~Chris

Last edited by ArtisticSchmidt; October 11th, 2005 at 03:13 PM.
    J. Christopher Schmidt
    www.artisticschmidt.net

Thanks
    ArtisticSchmidt---> I have a comment to make about composition. I wish someone told me what I am about to tell you about the design of the page layouts.

Always divide the page in 3'rds. Horizontally and Vertically. Where those lines cross are called 'Power Points'. Those power points is where you should place the point of interest and you can use the other points as secondary focal points. All the other spaces are 'Dead' spaces.

If you view the attachment I put up, the green circle area's are the 'Power Points'. And a quick example to follow the idea. It's a radical change from what you have done, but figured that I could show you a different approach.

This lesson is taught in college in general design courses. I've always used it and it works well.
    -J-

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Bomba; October 11th, 2005 at 03:54 PM.
    Official website-
    www.JasonFelix.com
    Jason Felix's Blog-
    Monstergalleria.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Camera angle adds ALOT to a scene

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.