Webdevelopment - Art a lost art?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Webdevelopment - Art a lost art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Webdevelopment - Art a lost art?

Hi, I'd just like to put out a thought...

I'm finishing up at uni and heading into web-development, and from what I've seen from most of my peers/web developers, there aren't many people who can actually create art. Majority of designs for websites, logos, interfaces, etc just tend to be photos and colours that have been pushed around the screen. I know I don't have the best artistic skills, but I know when designing I prefer to create art rather than reuse it...

What are your thoughts? Has anyone else noticed a decrease in the creative abilities of people entering the industry? Do people need artistic ability to be successful web-developers? And is the quality of work produced in industry suffering from the lack in abilities?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about web development, but here in my country people seem to lack a desire for excellence. I see a lot of mediocre work in different areas of human endeavors especially when it comes to designing or art. A good example is my brother( hehe) who's taking up some multimedia course in college. Guess what? He did the same thing you just complained about. THat stuff where you just manipulate photos or images. Just low rate stuff. To be honest, I feel that some of these people are just incompetent. In my case, my ambition is to be a competent painter someday but I don't wanna start my career right away until I'm finished with my studies. How about those "art instructors" in colleges today who can't even draw or paint?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by patdzon
    How about those "art instructors" in colleges today who can't even draw or paint?
    Very true. I think a lot of that comes down to 'you can't teach what you don't know.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm yes, i've also noticed that. i 'studied' web design at college, but the other students spent more time asking ME questions than asking any of the teachers... kinda funny.

and yes, nowadays it's rare to find a site with any sort of 'unique' looking design. i guess most people just grab a template. at least i make all my stuff myself

i have no problem with the concept of people reusing site designs, but as long as they actually build on it to the point where nobody would guess where it came from. i guess that's the part most people don't get to

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it's not just about creating cool art, there's also stuff to consider like user interaction and ease of navigation.

It's all very well creating a really art-driven web site, but if it's tricky to navigate and understand, then you've failed in capturing your target audience's attention.

A site like Amazon.com is "technically" a great website, since it's easy to use and understand - it has no "art" on it, though.

I think these days it's just a lot more difficult and more effort to create a site which is original and interesting in an art/design sense, while still preserving the all-important interaction values.

That's not to say it's not possible, just that it's more tricky to find a person who understands both the "art" side and the "technical" side of it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...the elusive marriage of practical while aestheticlly novel...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.