C.O.W. - #024: Huge Deep Sea Creature - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trench Stalker shown as (Abyssal Maggot)

C.O.W. - #024: Huge Deep Sea Creature
    Model display at 1/5th scale
    "Opportunism(n)-the art, policy, or practice of taking advantage of opportunities or circumstances often with little regard for principles or consequences." as defined by Merriam-Webster.

Such is the life of the Trench Stalker, from it's first fluttering breaths to it's last death rattle. All known evidence of this creature is through local legend, and inconclusive markings located along area Chilean beaches.
    What has been deduced from lore is that periodically the shifting and grinding along the Marianas trench will from time to time release large pockets of carbon-dioxide and oxygen. Unfortunate ships that happen to be in the area are lost to these super-massive releases. Yet what is lost to one is but an irresistable opportunity for another. It is suspected that the Trench Lurker can feel the vibrations of a sudden release and poise itself along the rugged walls of the trench, and when the time comes will ride the swift moving torrent to the surface, it's massive bulk made weightless. It feeds voraciously sweeping all into it's maw on both the trip up and back. And when one elder Trench Stalker dies...the breeding season begins by the laying of Abyssal Maggots who consume the dead, bones and all...leaving no other evidence behind of their existence.

Last edited by Helzon; October 7th, 2005 at 10:24 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GIGANTICUS MARIUS - The extremely rare giant deep sea fish of the deeps.

Only glimpsed once by a deep sea research vessel this creature is huge - weighing in at 500 tonnes and is approximately 150m long with a tough exoskeleton to survive the massive pressures in some of the deepest regions of the sea. Its bioluminescent tentacles are used to capture it's prey with poison injected into the body and huge eyes help it see in the dark

.....considering the size of the creature it is yet unknown what the creature feeds on, rumours are that it's prey is even larger......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giant Jelly Catches Cetacean!
    An adult blue whale grasped liesurely in one of its many tenticals, a giant jelly descends into the depths on Tuesday afternoon as the research team of the USS Mysticeti topside, and scientists the world watched the massive creature fall majestically into the depths of the South Pacific. Without a doubt, the largest example of a deep sea jelly ever caught on film, the scientific community is astounded by this newly discovered species, and indeed, all of the unprecidented discoveries of the last week. Its discovery is too recent to have earned it a name, or know anything about its life cycle, preferred habitat, diet or reproductive cycle; however this gigantic jelly is believed to possibly feed upon colosseus aequori as well as blue whales, as a the research team was in fact trailing a school from Southern California when they stumbled upon this astounding specimen.

Last edited by S.C. Watson; October 5th, 2005 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Style, baby, style

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to try a different approach than the one I was doing for the two previous cows, try to approach this more as an illustration and focus more on the colors (something I really have to work at, big time). No text or any other thing this time.
    I think it sucks how it turned out

I would really love crits on this if anyone takes the time.

Some really really great entries this round, but I'll save the comments for the voting round.

Depth Titan
    An enourmous deep-sea creature, the Depth Titans can be found on some of the most profound regions of the Pacific Ocean. They are slow swimming, and have relatively small mouths in relation to their huge bodies, which are spherically shaped and end in a long, thin tail. Near the mouth are dozens of bioluminiscent lights that are used to lure its prey for easy consumption. Many of the observed individuals present scars on their bodies in unusual markings that resemble jaw wounds, suggesting the posibility of even larger deep-sea predators, to which the Depth Titans would be basic food.

Last edited by brokk; October 8th, 2005 at 05:14 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought to be the first fire breathing fish ever to be found, the Aqueous Inceneratious nomakesenseous is about 100m long and feeds on Deep Fried Calamari of the Giant Squid type. Scientists are still unsure of what the whole creature actually looks like as the artist was too lazy to draw the rest of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Fangtooth Vipersquid is generally harmless unless provoked. They live an average of six miles below the surface and come up to feed at night. Their large powerful claws easily crush any prey it can catch, but the fangs are not to be overlooked. The lights on their head will shine bright when threatened or when looking for a mate.

Vision without action is a daydream, Action without vision is a nightmare.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Octonailious:
    Thanks to recent new advancements in technology humans are now able to explore much deeper into the depths of the ocean. Because of this there have been a number of new discoveries. Most memorable is the Octonailious. It was discovered by Henry L. Johnson. What is known about this creature so far is that it uses its innate camouflage on its back to blend in with its surroundings. To blend in better it digs a small trench for itself and sits in waiting. It doesn't move until the schools of gwandula fish are close by. Once they are close enough it feeds in a frenzied rage until it is full. They are solitary creatures and don’t see each other until it is mating season. They're like this because to many Octonailious's in one area would deplete the food source dramatically.

Below is a picture of the Octonailious after a big feast:

I updated it

Last edited by Eshara; October 7th, 2005 at 05:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bRØk3n_sPiRiT
    I wanted to try a different approach than the one I was doing for the two previous cows, try to approach this more as an illustration and focus more on the colors (something I really have to work at, big time). No text or any other thing this time.
    I think it sucks how it turned out
    Actually I really, really like the illustration. Your creature really feels tremendously large. I think it's a great concept. Kind of reminds me of the worms from Dune.

Michael W.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Definitely going for the illustration on this one....

The narwhal worm gored open the plug at the bottom of atlantis with its horn, and atlantis sank. nuff said.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend
    Actually I really, really like the illustration. Your creature really feels tremendously large. I think it's a great concept. Kind of reminds me of the worms from Dune.
    I promised myself not to comment until the voting round began but I couldn't leave this without a reply.
    Nightfend, this round your entry and Helzon's are my favorites so far, followed closely by Oregano, and I've been a semi-silent fan of your entries since a few c.o.w.s back (since the leviathan cloud dwellers I think) and I always look forward to seeing what you produce, so getting this kind of support from you is very nice and really means something to me. Thank you.

Just wanted to say that, and that your entry this round is rocking : P

More comments when the voting starts! : P

By the way Dune is one of my favorite stories, I want to get the book, the mini series was awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Chinawhite Sea Dragon, a beast that was once thought to be just a Mythical creature of fables is a large serpintine-like underwater predator. As Pictured here with a small Pod of blue whales, the Chinawhite Sea Dragon has immense control over the Beard of anntenae -like-strands that hang from his under jaw, the strands act as a amplifier for movement detection within the surrounding, dark and distant waters. Picking up such movemnt of a gargantuan range allows the Dragon to find and easily consume a huge array of the worlds biggest sea beasties. Although they are and sparce and illusive creature, what they certainly make up for in lack of numbers is huge size and speed. With the ability of using its fins and eel-esque body structure, the Dragon can propel and navigate over great distances across the deepest depths of the ocean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shin-Mira, persumed to be leftovers from the dinosaur era's, lives in the darks depths of the ocean. Feeding on both plants and sea animals it can grow to extremely large proprtions. It's calls are oftenly mistaken for whale's but the Shin-Mira uses it almost like sonar. You'll never see one near the surface due to the pressure diffrences. Unfortunately if it rises to the surface it simply dies so the only real visuals are taken with state of the art computerized subs.

My Sketchbook
    ^keep me going by visiting my sketchbook^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Giant Poisonous Altravertea
    The Giant Poisonous Altravertea are ancient creatures found deep off the coast of Iceland. Their sizes range from 42’ to a suspected length of 57’. They are very elusive creatures whom, for the most part, keep to themselves, but will severely sting and paralyze any predators or animals that swim too close. The unique mating rituals of the Altravertea is the only way that this creature draws attention to itself. The female’s short tentacles will glow and release pheromones to attract the males.

Last edited by shadoman; October 7th, 2005 at 07:44 AM.
    Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Giant Mimic Squid:

The Giant Mimic Squid, the larger cousin of the recently found mimic octopus is particularly interesting for what it disguises itself as. While the mimic octopus has been known to impersonate flounder and seaweed, camera images of this squid found it impersonating something much more interesting. While we can only speculate what the squid has seen that would cause it to make this shape, we do know that the squid is incredibly intelligent and may actually be giving us a glimpse of another unknown species. Hundreds of tentacles wrap around each other to form what appears to be a neck, head and mouth, and tentacles on the side wrap around to form what appear to be flippers. Amazingly enough, the squid actually uses its makeshift flippers to swim through the water just as you would expect it to do were it a real "sea serpent". The squid does not have suction cups, but small pliable "teeth" that can bend against the skin as to not puncture itself. After the amazing live pictures of the Giant Squid....we never imagined we would be so lucky to find this new species in the same month. Furthermore, the suggestion that some species of sea serpent truly makes this one of those amazing discoveries of all time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ye Monstrous Pirate Muncher

The Pirate Muncher is a carnivoruous sea monster with an appetite for pirates. He'd probably enjoy any human folk, but pirates are particularly easy prey. He spends most of his time searching through ship wrecks on the sea bed, but has a penchant for 'fresh' pirates too, and to enjoy 'fresh pirates' he has to head to the surface. The Pirate Muncher is very clever for a sea monster and has learnt to draw. He lures pirates to his razor sharp teeth by drawing treasure maps and sending them off, by their hundred, in bottles for pirates to find. Pirates can't resist a treasure map... or treasure for that matter... so they greedily succumb to the Pirate Muncher's clever trap. The Pirate Muncher piles some sand on his head and a palm tree or two. He tops his little fake island with a chest of treasure (easy to find on the sea bed in pirate infested waters) and patiently waits for the pirates. Soon he knows a ship will turn up full of juicy pirates to collect their treasure. Once the Pirate Muncher is sure they can't get away he tosses them in the air and swallows them whole. He keeps a firm hold on the anchor so he can have a chew on the ship too. And if necessary, he finds the masts and yardarms particularly useful for picking pirates from his teeth.

Last edited by duddlebug; October 7th, 2005 at 08:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe that is so funny and nice duddlebug

didn't read all descriptions yet, but so far you got my vote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice entry duddlebug, but it seems that this creature isn't a DEEP sea creature actually...not that i won't accept it, it's too good, just mentioning it, because it seems that you missed this detail

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar
    nice entry duddlebug, but it seems that this creature isn't a DEEP sea creature actually...not that i won't accept it, it's too good, just mentioning it, because it seems that you missed this detail
    Ahhaaaahahah... but did i?

"He spends most of his time searching through ship wrecks on the sea bed, but has a penchant for 'fresh' pirates too, and to enjoy 'fresh pirates' he has to head to the surface"

He likes it deep down... he likes the dark and the sunken ships...but has to come up to eat... ermm...um.... er... his tentacles are deep..? aren't they? No one said how 'Deep'...??

And anyway... 'Deep' is all relative.

My mum's Jack Russell thinks puddles are deep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by duddlebug
    And anyway... 'Deep' is all relative.

My mum's Jack Russell thinks puddles are deep.

Don't go getting deep on us there duddlebug.

Very nice...if I could reach across the pond, I'd give you an ass pat...er...maybe not. Perhaps Aly can do it for me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by duddlebug
    Ye Monstrous Pirate Muncher
    Ahaha, that illustration definitely made my day. Too funny. You've got my vote. Great job duddlebug!

Michael W.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all for the kind words !!

duddlebug, nutter and nightfend are my favourites !

cheers !!!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, This is my first post, so be gentle.

BLINDFISH
    The "Blindfish" is a huge creature living in the deepest areas of ocean. The whole life it spends on drifting and searching for drawning oragnic matter at the ocean bottom. Those really big fishes are absolutely helpless without small "glow-worms". The small ones, in return for protection, do the pilot's work in dark deep water - that's the way they coexist with each others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too much badass-competition. but oh well... accidents happen...

edit: dobry wieczor, jakkas :> amazing itroduction!

Last edited by Hanuka; October 7th, 2005 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JakkaS, welcome. Great first post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JakkaS - GREAT first post... now I'm torn on who to vote for!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN YOU PEOPLE!!!! why do you make it so hard to vote.

So many great entries here.

JakkaS - That's a really neat concept. You better stick around coz I want to see more of this stuff.

Duddlebug - Quality stuff as usual. I am partial to funny concepts.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT - That looks like the biggest creature here thats for sure. You've captured the hugeness really well.

Helzon - The transluscent skin on your creature rocks.

Nightfend - I like the action in yours.

Hurricane - I like the saggy boobs on yours.

Nutter - pick up your act mate, you think you can get by with that crap.

Dusty - That's a damned talented creature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nutter...thanks man!
    I'm not going to handicap this horse race. In my humble I think it's impolite until voting begins...but I will say it's gonna be an absolute to try and pick this week.

My best to everyone!!...Cheers to you all for submitting something!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A creature that will usually wait for a pod of whales to herd a vast school of fish or squid for themselves before attacking and eating the lot, the Aquae Mortis Ingens is a lazy bugger, but that doesn't mean it won't snap up a hapless shoal or lone cetacean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jumbo Shrimp Jelly Cocktail!
    October 7, 2005: In what is being called the most important week in the history of marine biology, yet another new magnificent species has been discovered by scientists. It began as the research team aboard the USS Mysticeti sent a submersible to further study their newly discovered giant jelly. They followed the jellyfish deep into the highly volcanic Tonga trench and were astounded to watch it be promptly devoured by what the scientists have dubbed the Jumbo Shrimp. Measuring nearly a full league (4.8 km) from tail to head, it has surpassed the Japanese Spider Crab as the world's largest crustacean (by roughly 1200 times). After returning to the surface and putting on a fresh pair of pants, Professor W. T. Sherman of the research team said, "This is by far the largest organism the world has ever seen, and will ever see, because anything bigger than this would just be silly. Don't even try to come up with something larger, this is the absolute limit for believable size." The Jumbo Shrimp is believed to feed primarily on the schools of hundreds of giant squid swimming nearby.
    Inset: School of giant squid.
    Inset: Inset: A giant squid, which last week would've been hot shit to see, but now is just kinda neat.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Red Lantern Leviathan
    This rare deep sea creature belongs to the squid and octopus family. What differentiates it from others, however, is that it has a lantern on its head, which is useful in navigation and feeding in the darkest of waters. The Red Lantern Leviathan is not a hostile creature. Despite its gigantic size (20 metres in length), it spends its time eating seaweed using little suckers found under its two tentacles. The two front tentacles are used to pull out plants form the earth.

Last edited by princeofhappiness; October 8th, 2005 at 01:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1