Guy with lame abs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Guy with lame abs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guy with lame abs

I actualy tried to do a background this time, pretty happy about it.
    Pls tell me what you think

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are some interesting things happening with the background, but it's so visually illogical as to be disconcerting. Each of the planes is reacting to a different light (the lighting scheme makes no sense). And none of the adjacent surfaces is reacting from the light of its neighbor (reflected light). The irregular tapering of the pedestal limits any valid perspective comments, but the angles throw off the eye in believing that it's perspective and not just the designed structure.

The figure is cartoony to such a degree that I can't find any comment that can't be countered by "it's supposed to be that way". Suffice to say that it is personally disagreeable in anatomical structure, pose, volume, and color.

Man, this sounds really harsh. Maybe someone stuffed a snail in my brioche this morning.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Moved

This thread is moved from CC to SWIPs, because it is not developed enough in Concept or Technical Skill for an in-depth Critique.

~M

And dammit, I was excited when I read "background!"
    It was only as I scrolled down that I became disappointed.
    Honestly, this is neither fish, nor foul, nor meat. It is a badly painted bad drawing.
    Crooked Lines
    Rough Shapes
    Vague Forms
    Flat Space
    Poor Value
    Poor/No Concept. That's the one that seems to be overshadowing the rest of this piece's problems.

What is this piece supposed to convey to the viewer in such a loose and sloppy cartoon style? As there is nothing visually to orient the viewer as to the placement of this situation we are looking at anywhere in any type of universe, fantasy or not, what do you think is the main point of this work? It just looks like a colored doodle...

If you can answer that question, the best suggestion for this piece would be for you to better address the Basics as needed to help it convey it's concept.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sjeee, didnt mean to offend anyone..

j/k and yea true; I dint had a real plan when i started this. My problem with bigass preplanned projects is that it has a big change of failing, wich is demotivating; poor me
    So I idd started as a doodle, and after spending to much time on the guy I did the green objects, pff i found out that he simple (for example these cube-like things) are realy hard lightning scheme wise.

Ye you guys sounded harsh.. but right too
    Tnx for giving me harsh when i need it 8)

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arendje
    Sjeee, didnt mean to offend anyone..

j/k and yea true; I dint had a real plan when i started this. My problem with bigass preplanned projects is that it has a big change of failing, wich is demotivating; poor me
    So I idd started as a doodle, and after spending to much time on the guy I did the green objects, pff i found out that he simple (for example these cube-like things) are realy hard lightning scheme wise.

Ye you guys sounded harsh.. but right too
    Tnx for giving me harsh when i need it 8)
    I'm glad you understand what we are trying to convey to you.

If you are going to put your very valuable time and effort into a piece that you then intend to share with the entire world, is it not better to put a bit of your valuable time and effort into a plan? You started with a doodle, with no plan, spent at least a couple of hours painting away, only to end up with an odd looking thing, that really is not very exceptional...In the same time, you could have drawn out a better planned work, taken a bit more time drawing, and had something more worthy of archival quality for your personal "portfolio" of creations...That's part of why "doodles" are not highly praised around here at CA...They very seldom develop into anything of real quality.

Besides learning how hard it is to shade properly, did you improve any of your technical skills on this piece? If so, then you received some return on your investment...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pwnt by madster

lmao, great title btw

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.