Sketchbook: Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

Hey guys, been around conceptart for a year or so, but never got around to posting anything, i guess i didn't have really the drive to keep on drawing enough to be proud to post anything here, but it changed. So here goes.

Mainly life drawing (and/or casts) so far. Lots of older stuff Im definitely not happy with, some gestures i like (Im finally getting the hang of gesture drawing! I think?). Will scan some sketchbook pages too.

Looking forward for critiques and general thoughts

old :

recent gestures :

Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings
    Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

Quick studies:

Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

A little less quick studies :

Sad attempt at painting ~.~, if anyone has tips, or what I would need to do to achieve better results...please! tell me!

Last edited by Autarkis; December 1st, 2005 at 04:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Autarkis. Very impressive figure drawings. They are not stiff at all, but have flexibility and movements of human body, I enjoyed looking at them very much. Proportions, volume are lovely. And I like your shading on most drawings. Very elegant work. Thank you
    Sveta Dudetta

Last edited by sve; September 29th, 2005 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hmmm...

I really like the majority of your stuff. The lines and shading of the charcoal studies are , to use Sve's (hey Sve, good to see you) word, elegant. I do suggest, however, that you try some geture drawings in pencil. It's a whole different feel, and they will be less crowded and obscured. Overall, great stuff. Oh, and about the painting, keep trying. I'm not really a painter, so I can't give advice, but don't give up on it.
    -SEDIG

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unloading number 2

Thanks Sedig and Sve .

I know that gesture drawings will be less cluttered with a pencil, but in that class Im taking, my teacher is steering us away from using pencils or pens. But here's a couple done in my sketchbook from either master paintings or life drawings...

[ Big batch of stuff ]

Gestures (5 minutes)

A couple 7 minutes studies

From my sketchbook, gesture studies (5 minutes)
    Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

Leg and Arm studies - 10 minutes.
    Lower Leg way too skinny. Totally kills it

20 minute studies

Last edited by Autarkis; December 1st, 2005 at 04:50 PM.
    I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Oi

You have some good studies going on. I might get scolded for saying this, but I wouldnt mind seeing something that is not a study . But I understand the life drawings, they are both a great teacher and a great subject very little more inspiring. anyway before that becomes a rant, ill just say its no crime to post smaller, good stuff man keep going.

sly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! Nice to see that your still posting those great studies and gestures. I looked at your paintings again, and I think I can help you. Try tightening up you edges. That should help you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey these arent bad at all.. I see you're from san francsco.. are you at the academy? these look karl jensen influenced.. nice rhythms overall, but you got a bit of the sausage link thing going on in the limbs.. remember that in the human body, for every push inward of a contour there's an opposite push outward.. we're built like this to give our bodies strength and stability, sort of accordoin-like but extremely subtle.. also it looks like you're going for value way too soon without looking to see how the shadow affects form.. light and shadow IS form.. start with the overal shape of the shadow, if you need to contour it out first, thats fine, but dont just throw a big mass of tone down just cuz you think you need it.. and i'll quote le_fish: go to workshop!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Autarkis! I like those studies a lot, Very energetic, with a powerful impact on viewer ( me, in this case ) studies. Great feeling of weight and volume, Proportions are so-o-o-o beautiful, sigh.
    So thank you
    Sveta Dudetta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MainLoop: Yes i do go the academy but I havent taken Karl, im currently in intermediate with Jason Bowen.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll try not to lay down a tone until it's more needed. I have been influenced by Jason who always lays down a tone then either darkens/lightens it up to define it better. (and I go to all the workshops i can attend )

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here we go.

A couple portraits i worked on (2.5 hours)
    From the worst...

To the best (imo)

Couple Hands + Feetstudies from life
    3 to 6 Minutes

10 Minutes

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, always love seeing great figure drawings. Beautiful drawings I must say; love the amount of detail and just the overall feel of them all. I'm definitely gonna keep watching this thread; keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

and a little update

I need to put up some paintings as well. I'm kinda unhappy with most of the figures in the sketchbook from last week. And I can't seem to nail down the whole figure anymore. Hopefully with a little more study this weekend i'll be doing better

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm really digging these life drawings. the longer studies of the 2 backs are really great.

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are amazing. everyone is a superb figure study, that covers every angle it wishes to. my only suggestion would be to begin cleaning up your line work. certainly you have a grasp of lighting, shading, form and figure. now its about time to put all that to use with polishing them up to make them more realistic. your portraits are impressive, but the line work, being rather rough, takes away a sense of the characters that you have drawn here.

Regards,

Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know what you mean Azeira, and I've actually started trying to move to a cleaner line, with more minimalism of those lines, and pushing thick/thin edges further than I actually do.

But everything's looking like crap so far (just started this weekend) hopefully by next weekend I'll be doing better

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And here we go, dump for this week

Quick Gestures [ 3 minutes ]
    Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings
    Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

Gestures [ 10 minutes ]
    Sketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawingsSketchbook by Autarkis, and assorted life drawings

One hour long

Feet and hand studies... blah.

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These latest one hour drawings are beautiful. Makes me wanna go to a life drawing class right now. Unfortunately it starts next year. You obviously understand what you are drawing way better than when you started this thread.
    I'll keep following your progress. See you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My goodness. You totally deserve stars.

I think you should break up your updates so that people have more chance to notice your thread before it goes to page two. Because you are at least a 4 star. I am not saying do it for the stars, but it's a pity if people miss your thread just because it's not on page 1.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ParkerD: Thank you. I'm loving the energy in your sketches!
    Placeboast: You can't get enough life drawing. Seriously, if i could, I'd sit on a horse all day long and draw . Makes me happy!
    ThreeEyesWorm: Well thank you. That comment makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, especially when coming from such a great sketcher as yourself!

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I particularly like the three minute gestures above and the hour-long study of the woman and the bird. Other favorites (even though you said "blah" ) include the hands and feet studies, the profile of the woman on a bluish paper is gorgeous as well. there is a very definite progression from the beginning of the thread to the last couple of posts–i can really see the improvement from the beginning to present

One thing that i might suggest is to ( in the way that you did in this image
    <http://phantomflow.com/fineart/november/endof/reclining.jpg>) try to minimize the visual impact of the hard outline around things. I understand that with something like a quick gesture outlines and skeletal frames are inevitable but with something that you have time to render it makes the drawing that much more convincing. just a thought

thanks for posting in my sb btw!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I havent been around a scanner or a digital camera for the past couple weeks, and now that I've stumbled upon one, I only have a sketchbook around
    So here goes a few things in my sketchbook, none of them go more than 20 minutes.

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wanted to kick off a series of quick portraits, to get faster and better at getting likeness.

30 minutes or less i believe.

EDIT: wrong picture posted twice. ha.

Last edited by Autarkis; January 4th, 2006 at 01:31 AM.
    I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love those feet and hand studies! Great use of contrast. How long did the recent quick portraits take?

Awesome SB though, I'll be keeping any eye out for updates

"Every artist was first an amateur."
    ||===Proud Member of SSG #8===||
    BrentM | Frank the ninja | Flaskpost | MonkeyLizard | Blahm | Proetus | bullfrog | Algebra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    20 minutes to 30 minutes. I need to stop hatching in one diretion only, follow the form.. thats so hard to me!

I saw the flowers die

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way you've created some of your drawings, with quick lines refined later and the dark outlines of your pics. I'll keep an eye on this thread, Good stuff.

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice figure drawing studies. Keep it up. I like it that you use different media. Cool

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Members who have read this thread: 1