Sketchbook: Madfishmonger's sketchbook - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Madfishmonger's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, I failed to produce much of anything as well (I also don't have a power cord for my scanner). I suddenly had to move, and a big mess came about with the place we were supposed to move into. I've been thinking a lot, but not doing. I plan to get a few thing done anyway, but let's just keep trying

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so I just wanted to say that I still exist. I had to move (again) and I don't have a cord for my scanner. I've been very busy and then sick, but goddammit I am going to draw something (or selse) so expect something soon.

I live! I swear!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG you still exist sorry to hear well read about that string of bad luck with cold and moving then not having the right cable and all that. Very nice birdy you did cant wait to see you get back into action. What kind of tablet did you get ?

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks It's my roomate's actually but it's bloody sweet. Wacom, and it's HUGE.
    I still have no cable for my scanner, but it just takes me going to the computer store with it and buying one.
    I did a charcoal drawing of a wolf today from a reference, but I did it for the class I'm working in so I left it at the school. I'll see if I can get a pic of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two quick flower sketches -

A gerber daisy my friend had

A quick Calla lily. I'm thinking of having a single lily tattooed on my lieft arm to balance the one on my right arm. Going to work on some sketches, I might buy a silk one so I can practice. I really need to freakin draw, I lose my (low level) skill so fast when I don't practice for a while. It's frustrating to have to keep starting all over.
    I've been doing other projects, sewing and whatnot, but I need to draw. Any advice on overcoming a creative block?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Colour update

I just pulled out the coloured pencils and did whatever. I drew something, that makes me happy. Going to keep going on this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Playing with coloured pencils

Woke up this morning and wanted to colour. Just having fun with the coloured pencils and seeing what happens when I put this colour over that one.

Coloured a little more of that weird landscapey thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been struggling with mental block for a very long time. I think something finally let loose. I think I can finally draw again. Broke out the old Johnen Vasquez comics to get me drawing again. I love that style, it's fun to draw.

Also did a little self-portrait. Not quite the way I want it and I messed up the hand quite a bit, but I'm getting there. Much better than the previous sketches. I want to do little comic strips, so I'm trying to find a quick way to draw myself and friends. I have very curly hair and didn't know how to draw it, I like this solution.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MOAR

Have no power cord for the scanner. Had to take these with the camera.

This guy in my building smokes in the back hallway. He's been asked not to by the caretaker before, but has taken to doing it again. I figured who better to remind him of his error than Tank Girl? (I used her as a reference for the face)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page of the sketchbook, a Tank Girl quickie and a bunch of cigars and a tree I painted with fabric paint markers on these:

(I made the bags too)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nice

nice work. I like all the variety and your attempt at recreating your childhood. would like to see more stuff from the sketching club if you're still going to one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Actually the sketch club moved, but I just found out about another one and I'll probably start going to that again soon. The mental block I was suffering from seems to have gone, so I'm doing a lot of self-teaching right now. I have a couple of books. A friend wants to do a comic with me, so I need a lot of practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Postcard

Trying the photo attachment thing...hope it works.
    I left the images huge so you could see the detail. The card is smaller than a normal postcard. It's all out of my head in ink.

Edit: Okay, a little too big. I'll put the smaller versions here and you can click the links to get the larger image.
    Name:  katiepostcard2small.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  Katiepostcardsmall.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  60.9 KB

Addess side

Other side

Last edited by Madfishmonger; September 4th, 2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Images too large

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Mad,

Thanks for visiting my sb (I know it was awhile back, I just updated, and that's when I crit )

You really should do real life studies.

The post card is cute. The architecture is all sorts of wrong, but that's why it has so much character. The stick men I like less, too generic.
    The address side is also fun. It would "breathe" more if you didn't border the typography.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I appreciate the crit
    I should do more life studies, yes. I've been struggling with them. I do them but I'm always unsatisfied and don't want to post them. The post card I didn't sketch out first, I just made up as I went along, and yeah, the whole town took on a big thing and the stick men didn't quite fit, but I'd already drawn some and just got stuck. I bordered the address as I fear without it, it wouldn't actually get through the mail, which I wanted, but I'll try just leaving negative space there next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, your work is very endearing! It makes me smile
    Keep updating!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you tytseng I'll post some more soon, just trying to get my scanner to work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bursting forth from the murky depths it's....

More to come. I've started less of a sketchbook and more of a visual journal. Trying not to restrict myself to making it look good, rather getting out my ideas. I figure the good will come.

Some stuff I drew on bags:

Time for Toast! The clock is on one side, the toast on the other. I ended up not writing the word on the bag, it's just a piece of toast with jam.

(I also made the bag)

Happy teapot. The bag ended up quite different. I still want to use this guy somewhere.

Just drawing

From a conversation at Sushi and a Movie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Computer sort of working

Well, it is for now, so I'll take this time to dump some sketches.
    I broke my ankle and have not been doing much, but now that it's starting to get better, I'm full of ideas. Whatever mental block I was suffering from is slowly fading, I need to keep working it off. Anyone have any suggestions to help me not only get out of this slump, but maybe some helpful exercises?
    Lately I've been trying to get over how crappy the result is and just doing it regardless. I know it won't get less crappy without work, but sometimes it's hard to want to do it when you know it's going to look bad (or at least not good enough) when you're done. I'm still a bit confused about how this attachment things works, I hope I got it right.

I can't decide what the gun-giving, flame-head guy should be wearing, or the background. It'll come to me eventually I guess.

I drew this comic on the plane to Ottawa, I just haven't gotten around to scanning it. Some of the panels are terrible, but it was more to get the idea down, and not worry about how it looked. If you want to see it close up, here is a link to a larger image.

I'm quite happy with how Happy Fish turned out. My roommate has these fantastic books which have flower, plant, and animal motifs in a wide variety of styles, so I randomly picked this fish. I showed it to a friend, who said my version was much happier than the one in the book, and so I decided to practice my calligraphy and used this amazing antique book of fonts I have (which I really will scan in soon). This exercise was simply to start and finish a whole page drawing, not necessarily trying to accomplish anything with it.

As a side note, I am insanely sick of being on crutches.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by! I really like the white outlined icons on the navy bag - they look groovy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks I want to do more like that. I did a couple shirts in that style, they're on my page.
    Here's something I did for Valentine's day. My cat Zippy is a Buddha-soul. While I was drawing this he was splayed across the table on his back in a posture of most exquisite bliss, lost in his transcendental meditations. I certainly haven't captured his true enlightened essence, but it was fun. Zippy is made of love, though he is a fierce warrior, he has nothing but head-butting love for anyone who cares to join him (he's a 17 pound cat, he's knocked me over).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice and fun sketchbook, i have to tell you thought that you could use some boring anatomy practise, it would help you tons

keep posting, that happy fish is progress

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Madfishmonger, thanks for your comment in my thread I'm looking at your drawings and I agree with everyone else in that you have to study anatomy books and such but even more than that I would say practice drawing basic shapes. Cubes, spheres, cylinders and such and try to make them look as if they are in space from your imagination. This would be a supplement to life drawing and drawing from books and everything. The purpose is that to learn to draw is to basically develop a 3D software in your brain, so one approach is to start simple and progress into complex shapes. The human figure is probably the most complex shape there is but I would say it's still better to practice it from the jump because, I mean seriously nobody is gonna sit around and draw boxes all day :p Anyway, good progress and keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for your comments! I have been doing a little anatomy, but my scanner's broken and I haven't been able to update, but I know I need to do a lot more.
    I'm not so good with 3D stuff, I really do need a lot of work there. I find cylinders incredibly hard. Maybe I will just draw boxes all day since no one does. I need a gimmick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My forays into digital art. I painted these on some friends' "graffiti wall" on Facebook. I screen-capped them to post here. Just simple brushes with a tablet I borrowed. I need a tablet now. NEED.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dump

I've been into monsters and robots lately. Also trying to get some anatomy work done. I know I've got a long way to go, but I feel that there's some improvements. I'm also happy with my shading, I think it's getting better.
    Some of these sketches were for some bags I made, which are on my site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sb.

Looks like there is already some improvements from page one! But I think you could use more practice from reference. I think you could really benifit from either setting up a still life or griding off a photograph, and sitting down with a good ol' 18x24 paper and drawing it out to completion.

Take one drawing, and do not stop till it is the best thing you have drawn, and you will learn a lot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Sublimus, that means a lot
    I do need to just sit and work on one drawing. I felt like that on the digital ones, I couldn't just leave it, I had to get it nearer finished. I have a few old drawings I should pull out, pick one and redo it until it looks better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Drink & Draw

I had a bunch of artist friends over this weekend to sit and draw together. I know them, but they don't know each other, so it was great to get them all together. I'm getting some help from one of them too, it's very encouraging to have someone tutoring you.
    We all drew robots and dinosaurs (with lasers!), and as one of my dinosaurs was embarrassingly bad and the other unfinished, here's my robot. A friend who is a DJ runs a website, and I've been trying to draw him a robot for a long time now. I think I'm getting closer to a finished product.
    My scanner's acting up, so I had to take pictures. Hips, shoulders and the feet are what I'm struggling with the most. Also loosening up. I filled two large sketchbook pages with this. I'll fill more if I need to, I actually want to get this right.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.