Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Madfishmonger's sketchbook

Hello! I'm new here, and looking for some help to improve my drawing.

Just messing around with some watercolour pencils, it's a stuffed giraffe my friend has.

My hand

From a photo of my cat Xerxes, done with a friend's fancy markers.

random studies

A statue of a frog. Shading not so good.

My foot.

A quick sketch of my friend's rabbit. My scanner is crap, I had to darken the image. Her ear is all messed up.

Since I'm obviously in need of some anatomy work, I started drawing this cat skeleton. I've only just started, and it's been surprisingly hard, but I think I'm getting the feel of it.

I can't say I'm not a little frustrated by the decline my art has taken, but at the same time, I've rid myself of a lot of bad habits. I spent a lot of time as a mopey goth, drawing other people's comics and not enough time developing my own style, and after that, my sketchbooks gathered dust. Though I am finding this is giving me a chance to start all over and (hopefully) learn it right. So please, some helpful critiques and specific techniques will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Madfishmonger; June 6th, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Hey, cheer up, dont mope

Keep drawing! Dont give up or anything. By the way, Moping is bad for you, so dont do it. Draw instead. Keep a daily sketchbook. Draw all the time! Pay special attention to the shapes of things. Don't draw what you htink should be there, draw what IS there.

Thanks
    the giraffe at the top of the page made me smile, it looks depressed. the pic of the cat done with your friends fancy markers is nice too.

the best advice i think i can give you is to draw from life as much as you can and try to get accurate propetions.

keep posting

Thanks
    Thanks I'm definately done moping, and have started to draw every day. The link to the anatomy sites in the FAQ have been helping me a lot.
    It's such an interesting endeavour, to have to change your perceptions so much. Seeing what is there is not as easy as it sounds, your eyes and your mind are against you. Having to re-train youself to see is an odd thing to do, but a worthwhile one. I only hope that shows as I keep practicing.

Thanks
    You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here as long as your'e willing to put in the effort. good luck to you and keep it up.

Thanks
    Oven G Love: Thanks, I used to have a really good eye for proportions, and I'm starting to feel that come back. I really want a set of those markers, they were so easy to use. I've never been that comfortable with colour, but I liked using those. I drew that giraffe for that very reason, he was cute and kind of sad.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter
    You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here as long as you're willing to put in the effort. good luck to you and keep it up.
    Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for All I have is a small photo-size scanner, but some friends have scanners I can use. Just means it'll be a little slow on the updates until I get my own.
    And yes, I will put in the effort, I'm tired of sucking

Thanks

Been practicing

And I'm seeing an improvement already. It's made me quite happy. I've decided to do some "homework" but drawing nothing but anatomy until I get it right.
    Sorry about the poor quality, as I said, I have naught but a teeny photo scanner, so some of these are chopped, but they're just sketches, so it's ok.

Not the large one I posted the head of before, a quick sketch to get the whole feel of it.

Drawing my cat Zippy. Just doing simple circle shapes to get the feel of him. He's always on top of my computer desk, rolling around in a state of perfect cat-Zen bliss.

More of the same. Same page.

A quick sketch of a skeleton, done from a reference (linked from the Anatomy for Artists link on this site). Not worrying to much about it looking nice, just getting the idea.

Just the skull. I tried to do another smaller one underneath, and found it looked sort of feminine, so I put flowers on her head.

Just the ribcage.

I've been drawing every day, and it's only getting better. I apprecitate the encouragement and inspiration I get from here. I feel like I'm at that part in the game where you can't get any further until you level up, and you have to wander all over the map just walking in circles until you get a random battle, and you have to fight the same monsters 736 times to get enough XP.

Thanks

Update

A rose in my mum's front garden

Done from a reference picture. Bonus points to anyone who recognizes the reference in the notes.

A heart I've been drawing from a reference (link). Not quite done, but getting there.

Any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, from pic to pic I can say that you 'evolve' Keep Drawing, you have a potential. Practise make the master. :3. Greetings.

-- Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still. --
    -- My New Not So Sick but Yet Sick Sketchbook is here! --

Thanks
    Thanks, Saise, I was getting kind of frustrated there for a while, but it seems to be working.

Thanks
    From a reference. For some reason when I was adjusting the levels, it turned purple, but it seems to bring out the shading a bit more so I left it. Now that I look at it, I think the ribcage is maybe too big.

Thanks
    Saise is really right there, you are improving from picture to picture. The only way is for you to get any better is to draw EVEN MORE ! !

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1