~What Makes It ART For You?~

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: What Make's it Art For You?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Is it some kind of significant form?

    1 16.67%
  • Is it in the concept, the ideas it represents?

    1 16.67%
  • Does it need both or can it be purely conceptual or formal?

    4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 26 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Red face ~What Makes It ART For You?~

    Art Appreciation: An Artist’s Perspective
    What makes it art for me cannot be summed up within only a few words. Art to me is in everything. Art suggests the beauty in the souls of all mankind. It takes people away from the difficulties in life. Some People do not appreciate art in the ways our ancestors did. God painted a canvas in this world that very few appreciate. It is in the birds flying through the trees and the whisper of the winds as they stream throughout these halls as the doors are opened. It is in the fresh cut grass and the insects that frolic within it. It’s in the howl of a wolf and the whiny of a horse. Yet some people chose to defile these things daily. Few people appreciate the prosperity of mowing their yards
    anymore. They stamp on insects as if it were a game to do so. Why do some people not enjoy the pleasures of art? Could it be because art is used somuch in games, TV shows, and movies? Or is it simply because no one really wants to take the time to appreciate it anymore? One peace of art at a well established franchise suggests this by presenting itself on a daily basis, in all its glory, with an obscure crayon mark right through the center of it. It is apparent that some people would give their children a crayon in a place with no children activities and let them wonder around marking on expensive works of art.

    Art is also in the ideals it represents. Some civilizations believed in using art as a way to assist the Gods in welcoming them to the afterlife. An ancient society known as the Etruscans clearly believed in an afterlife that was somewhat like the Egyptian concept. Although it is not known what their specific view of the afterlife was, it seems to have been as materialistic as in ancient Egypt. They would take items used in real life, such as mirrors, jewelry, weapons, and banquet ware to accompany the deceased. They
    believed these things were needed in the afterlife. The burials of today consist mostly of a suit and a prayer. This is mainly because most people have been converted to Christianity. And most Christians believe that they cannot bring material possessions with them when they die. But why should they not be able to? The Egyptians and the Etruscans seemed to think it was possible. In fact, they believed it so much that when pictures were drawn of the deceased they would make sure that they had both arms and legs showing in a standing position, as seen in the tomb of Nebamun. In this, Nebamun
    is accompanied by his wife and daughter with his head and legs in profile, torso and eye frontal, all while he is hunting birds. This was to make certain that they would be able to walk and have full physical movement in the afterlife. They would also perform what is called the Opening of the Mouth ceremony which ritually “opened the mouth” of the dead body and restored its ability to breathe, feel, hear, see, and speak. This can be seen in an illustration from the Book of the Dead of Hunefer c. 1295-1186 B.C. Very few
    people still believe in this. But what if they were right in believing this concept? What if all of our loved ones who have died are stuck in a state of constant immobilization for all eternity? That sounds scary doesn’t it? If you had to lay on your back in darkness with neither a person to love you nor anything to entertain you in a world-without-end. Most people would be devastated to know their uncles, mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers
    were in a state of constant agony until the end of time.

    In addition to art being used for burials, it has also been used for invention. And if it were not for art being used for invention in the early ages, then people would not have the magnificent sky scrapers that they have today. In fact the designs of most of today’s larger buildings can be seen as far back as Stonehenge, with its Post and Lintel design structure. Post and Lintel design consists of menhir, or standing stones, which were used to support what is called a trilithon, a three stone design structure. When put into a circle this is called a Cromlech. Also seen in later styles of construction is the use of columns and arches, such as the Arches of the Great Mosque in Córdoba. Built around 785 A.D., the arches consisted of nine foot nine inch tall columns which were used to suspend the arches creating one of the most sturdy design structures of its time. In fact, the larger interior space is at present bigger than any other Christian church. These arches are sturdy even now. People still go to admire the magnificence of them because they have lasted thousands of years. Yet the buildings made in this generation usually last no longer than one hundred years. It is a shame how some people could not even
    appreciate ancient structures such as this which helped the new societies to define the world they know and love.

    Another definitive factor of this world is the landmarks of past civilizations.
    These landmarks were somewhat like the art of today in some countries. When looking at a cathedral, such as the Cathedral of Saint-Lazare, one could only guess that they are in Autun, Burgundy. When eyes are laid upon the Statue of Liberty it is only logical that you are in Manhattan. The same goes for earlier civilizations as well. It used to be when a man saw a ziggurat, a trapezoidal stepped structure representing a mountain, he knew that he was in Mesopotamia. When he set his eyes upon a pyramid, then surely he was in
    Egypt. If he were to see the Ishtar Gate, he would find himself within the walls of Babylon under the rule of the great Nebuchadnezzar. In present times many towns no longer use visual representations of the culture. Instead most towns have signs that read, “Welcome to Henderson,” or, “Thanks for Visiting Jackson, TN.” Seeing as how Henderson is the Barbeque capitol of Tennessee, some people would rather see a statue of a farmer with a pigs head on a stick as apposed to reading a big green sign with the population indented on it. Because art is merely visual representations meant to describe who people are.
    Taking what has been said into consideration, art to me is resting in the heavens with all artist’s, from Imhotep to Michaelangelo, who believed, like I do, that the world is a canvas. Now imagine if people were to turn back to the ancient ways. If all people started to make there homes and office buildings using only earthly materials that they themselves dug up and mixed. It is only logical that they would be healthier. Or if every town did have its own artistic demonstrations of what the towns people were all about. Traveling would certainly be more enjoyable. But then, along with these new creations, the tyrants who plague the artistic world would surface. The defiler’s of timeless and beautiful creations that go unpunished for their crimes. But then again is that not, within itself, only human?

    c. Dustin DeWayne White aka. DarkWater05


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 539 Times in 203 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I have a book that is over a thousand pages thick on what art is.

    I feel that I am severely lacking in descriptive prose to decipher the complexity that is art in a single post.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Talking ~WHAT is ART to YOU?~is the question

    This is strictly opinionated. It's not about what art is to everyone. It's about what art is to "YOU." All I want is different opinions. Not a Text Book entry.

    Last edited by DarkWater05; September 27th, 2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typo

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,988
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 290 Times in 173 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Spend more time making art then debating what is art.

    Go start a sketchbook.

    My work: [link]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Angry This is not a debate. It is merely curiosity!

    Christ do you people not know what an "opinion" is. Look it up if you must. I'm sure it'll say something along the lines of "everybody's got one" right next to it. If you have no opinions then my friend you are NO artist because a true artist always has an opinion.
    Thanks


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,988
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 290 Times in 173 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Don't get pissed.. just go draw. We keep getting random newbies here who want to start long.. irritating.. philosophical debates of nonsensical topics, things with no difinitive answer....

    Just go draw



    My work: [link]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 103 Times in 34 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    wel,l to put it into understandable words other than "i know it when i look at it":

    I would say that, for me, art is evrything drawn, sculpted, performed etc that inspires me and evokes feelings.


    "How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

    *** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

    MY HOMEPAGE

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    good question
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I there actually is such a thing, it could be anything. A shoemaker can be an artist, a roofer can be an artist. Heck, even a beggar can be an artist if he finds a mind-blowing way to beg.
    Just don't put that in a test. I don't think an art teacher would like to hear that.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Raleigh
    Posts
    1,215
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 165 Times in 66 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWater05
    a true artist always has an opinion.
    Actually a true artist is one who makes art. Its a fact. You can look it up in the dictionary if you want.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Newcastle, Australia.
    Posts
    1,149
    Thanks
    183
    Thanked 257 Times in 130 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Well, to answer your question - for me, it's something that can make me look at it and go 'wow, cool'. I think K-17 put it better than I can.

    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,393
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    even a beggar can be an artist if he finds a mind-blowing way to beg
    there was this dude I saw once who called himself "the paper horn man", and he was an artist of the begging profession if I ever saw one.

    I think concept and form are both important, neither is necessarily necessary . I don't know that there's a way for a person to give a general answer to this question. There will most likely always be exceptions.

    and then, once you've determined that it is indeed art, you can begin the debate of what is good art.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    "If you have no opinions then my friend you are NO artist because a true artist always has an opinion."

    Who am I to disagree with such a statement? You want an opinion? Here's one...

    "The statement quoted above is the dumbest, most asinine, most innaccurate, most leading and insulting load of crap I've heard since Nixon last opened his mouth." EVERYBODY has OR does not have an opinion on just about anything! I have no fuckin' opinion on the color of your mother's dining room curtains, or on the aesthetic qualities inherent in a Yugo transmission. Does that suddenly make me NOT an artist?

    I never heard that artists were required to have a confirmed opinion on the entire contents of the known and unknown universe before they could be allowed to pick up a brush.

    What do you have to back this damn statement up? What surveys and published scientific evidence do you have in support? And why haven't I seen it? A curious public wants to know...

    You appear to want a discussion with people who don't know you about something YOU state is important to US that WE never heard of. Sorry, little philosophy-major-101-going-in-circles-with-myself-so-I'm-bored-shitless-dude, I don't have the time to get involved in that kind of thing...

    Can you maybe refine your questions down a bit? Maybe be a bit more specific? Or would that require too much of your valuable time?

    BTW, this is about as inoffensive as I ever get. I REALLY mean no offense, but I don't like sticking my head in a pickle jar full of "what-if" just to see if I can get it back out again...


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    good question
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    there was this dude I saw once who called himself "the paper horn man", and he was an artist of the begging profession if I ever saw one.
    what did he do?


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,066
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    does art allways have to be something entertaining?
    can art be something you dont share with others?


  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's been my experience that one's skill as an artist is in direct inverse proportion to one's interest in this question.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 138 Times in 70 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    being an artist means posting in the finally finished section, and not the lounge.

    thats my opinion


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    sydney!
    Posts
    1,358
    Thanks
    313
    Thanked 403 Times in 131 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    2,925
    Thanks
    410
    Thanked 273 Times in 205 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Art can be anything these days but each of us have and follow our own principles into what our art should be.


  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    australia mate
    Posts
    1,624
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 79 Times in 25 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Form
    being an artist means posting in the finally finished section, and not the lounge.

    thats my opinion
    Damn, I knew I was doing SOMETHING wrong...


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Norwich, England, UK
    Posts
    2,787
    Thanks
    473
    Thanked 268 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    ...art to me has got to ignite something inside of me - I think this is very important (for me). If it does, then it can push me forward more, drive me to think differently about the execution of my own work etc. If it doesnt, then it is not important, I wont bother with it...



    Mx


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,393
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    what did he do?
    he made horns of various sizes and pitches out of rolled up paper (from the trash?) and then played music and sang songs with them about why he deserved to get your money, all with style and dignity. I realize that may not sound very impressive as I describe it...

    trust me, the man was good at what he did


  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,134
    Thanks
    8,227
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Actually, he sounds very impressive. I wouldn't mind meeting him some day.

    There was a man named Alex in my neighborhood when I was a kid who basically begged for living. Everyday, he shaved, put on his clean shirt, and then went to the laundromat to wash his other shirt before going door to door along the business strip offering to sweep up, clean, help haul or stack goods, maybe wash dishes. He was so honest that some of the Babbas gave him money to shop for them. He always came back with correct change. It was the only skill he had, and he used it well. A true professional with a set of ethics to guide him.

    There's not much more that any of us can ask for...


  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,915
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone
    Actually a true artist is one who makes art. Its a fact. You can look it up in the dictionary if you want.
    Hahaha, nice.


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    275
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    oh boy, i just did a 4500 word essay on this. drove me pretty crazy, coz every time you come up with something, you come up with a counter argument just to confuse you. I came to the conclusion that in the world of visual arts, there are three categories.
    1. What i refer to as abstract (not really the same as usual definition). This is art that focuses on a visual product, and not on communicating an idea.
    2. What i refer to as conceptual (again, a slightly different definition). This focuses on the communication of an idea, but is not worried about visual products.
    3. What i refer to as fine art (because it has been this for most of the history of art, just not in the past century. again, this is slightly different definition). This is work that focuses on both the idea and the visual product.

    I believe all three categories to be forms of visual art. To define 'art' in the broadest sense (which is extremely broad...way more than just visual stuff) is almost impossible, and i'd have to settle for the Insitutional Theory of Art (google it for more info).

    on a completely separate point, my favourite happens to be category number 3.


  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    good question
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    I realize that may not sound very impressive as I describe it...
    Sounds pretty impressive to me too. Not a person i'd forget.


Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook