Online Andrew Loomis books
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Online Andrew Loomis books

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Online Andrew Loomis books

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while, are the online Andrew Loomis books legal? I've searched all over the internet, and I haven't found many definent answers. I've heard that they're legal for educational purposes only, and I've heard that they aren't legal at all.

I'd love to use the books, but I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for one, and I don't want to use them if they are illegal. Any information you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's complicated.
    The books are all still under copyright, and the rights to them belong to Loomis' heirs. Many people have attempted to get the rights to reprint them, but, for whatever reason, have been unsuccessful. However, the current rights holders don't seem to be particularly vigilant about keeping scans off the net. (Note that, unlike trademarks, copyrights don't have to be actively enforced, so they haven't become public domain just because they are out there.)
    So the question becomes, by downloading and/or printing copies, are you doing any harm? The current rights holders aren't getting any money if you do, but they also don't get any of the money if you spend hundreds of bucks on a used copy. I don' think it hurts the market for any future reprintings, either, as most people who have a PDF or homemade printout would gladly pay a reasonable price for a real bound book. If anything, the online availability of the books has created more of a potential market, should they ever be reprinted.
    So, are they legal? No. Should that stop you from using them? That's your call to make.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That helps quite a bit, thanks for clearing some of that up!

Members who have read this thread: 1