City Scape
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: City Scape

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

City Scape

I know it's not the most original WIP title heh

I wanna finish this up to a good rendering standard, i'd quite like some crits on my progress with the piece so far.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it's looking pretty good, the comp. is is real good. The left building doesn't look like it lines up quite right, though. Your making some good progress on the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comment =)

I think i'm gonna have to double check my lines to make sure they're all in perspective, and I may add a 2nd Vanishing point to the other side just so I can get the correct proportions on the building sections which extrude from the general structure.

This is by no means finished but I think i'm gonna come back to it in the morning with a fresh perspective of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *bump* coz i've updated it a bit =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *Bump* coz i've updated this a lot, would like some opinions before I submit to DA. Unfortunately I lost my high res version when I forgot to step-back after saving it so I can't work at the large size I was using before =(.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okies!
    Solidify some of your shapes more, really assert the values on those over hangs. They should probably be darker than the walls..
    Depth in cityscapes is often to do with thrown shadows and line weight.

The shape of the clouds is a bit strange, check some photo ref if you want realism, otherwise it's cool.

Really sort out your light source. If it is just from that light down the tunnel check the values on the higher buildings.

The statues are rendered to a different standard than the rest, they look almost fluid without that texture the rest have.

Why is the city built on nothing and dissapears completely. Maybe a few suggestive lines?

Nice work
    -B-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    Okies!
    Solidify some of your shapes more, really assert the values on those over hangs. They should probably be darker than the walls..
    Depth in cityscapes is often to do with thrown shadows and line weight.

The shape of the clouds is a bit strange, check some photo ref if you want realism, otherwise it's cool.

Really sort out your light source. If it is just from that light down the tunnel check the values on the higher buildings.

The statues are rendered to a different standard than the rest, they look almost fluid without that texture the rest have.

Why is the city built on nothing and dissapears completely. Maybe a few suggestive lines?

Nice work
    -B-
    first of all i'd like to say thanks for the excellent crits =)

to address all points I have quoted your post, ok.

the first point about the shadows and shape definitions, I totally know what you mean though to be fair to myself I haven't looked at any reference pics at all to work this, I just made it all up heh, so That's probably why my values aren't entirely accurate

The clouds I actually wanted those to be different, sort of unrealistic so i'm gonna leave em as they are are or maybe work into them some more, but i'm more or less happy with them.

Yeah the light source in this has given me some troubles, i'm not 100% sure what values I should be taking where on my piece, I guess I understand the basic principle that objects nearer the light are brighter because light is volumetric, but then I get confused because some materials are innately darker or lighter than others, and some more reflective, that is where I just collapse and die hehe. SO when you say check the values how do you mean? =)

This was my first foray into texturing my work, so I have taken your advice to heart and added texture to the statues as well, I just like how they turned out actually, think the textures add more realism even if i've not painted this to be 100% realistic.

As for the city being built on nothing, that was sort of what I was after, I wanted the foundations of the structures to be wayyyy down below on the ground and for the structures to sort of be floating in mid air, I did add some hinted details of buildings down the central section.

Thanks again, it's definetly helped me, and I think i've plotted some more realistic shadows now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.