Books on perspective

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Books on perspective

I started drawing a year ago, and have been drawing on and off since then. But during that whole year, I never attempted to draw a background. Probably because I knew I didn't have the technical knowledge to do so, but right now I'm in the mood to fix that.

I was wondering if any of you have experience with books on perspective in drawing. I would go and search for some tutorials online or something, but honestly, I would much rather be able to just read through a couple of hundred pages and have a good, solid understanding of perspective after that. I'm looking for something that can take me from knowing absolutely nothing about perspective to knowing all I need to know, and something I can keep on my bookshelf and grab as a reference later on.

I looked through Amazon.com, looking for books on perspective, reading through the customer reviews, but I didn't find one that I was sure about. I had someone recommend Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in Your Artwork to me. But to be honest, I found the comic book approach more than a little discouraging. This is the only recommendation I've had so far, and I'd love some more. I figured this was the best place to ask, so please tell me if you know any good books on perspective drawing.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    same with me, but you only want to draw backgrounds, not peoples in perspective?

artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I just want to learn to draw in perspective. Be it backgrounds, people, elephants or what ever. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you will learn it automatically while drawing, but it you studie it directly you will, of course, become much better. Try it with people.

artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perspective Drawing by Ernst Norling is a really nice guide to drawing anything in perspective. Check out the works of Andrew Loomis as well, including Figure Drawing For All It's Worth - it has an excellent section on perspective. For drawing backgrounds and stuff, be sure to pay special attention to the use of diagonals in your constructions- you'll find that Diagonals Rule The Universe!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you. Amazon didn't have Perspective Drawing in stock, but searching for books by the author, I found Perspective Made Easy, a really cheap book that people had nothing but good to say about. Reading the description and reviews, it looks like it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    erspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in Your Artwor
    dont undermine this book just because the comic book part. this book is amazing and will teach you almost everything youll ever want to know about perspective. but if you get it tryt not to rush through it try to understand each perspective and at theback of the book theres alot of perspective / geometrical goodies. The one im talking about is by david chelsea btw. and you can find it on google print o_O
    http://print.google.com/print?id=zJifwBq8V50C&pg=PP11&lpg=PP11&dq=Perspect ive!+for+Comic+Book+Artists&prev=http://print.google.com/print%3Fq%3DPerspective!%2Bfor%2BComic%2BBook%2BAr tists%26oi%3Dprint&sig=CT4gfO2j0LFTF7AjQfejD-0502w

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How hard core do you want? The comic book one that was mentioned is pretty decent for illustration purposes. Also, this is a book I have that is pretty good too, well rounded:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I ask "how hard core" because I have a textbook at work for constructing perspective drawings of existing buildings/environments. That's geared towards creating "correctly" scaled perspective drawings for architectural renderings. ("Correctly" being a sort of misnomer since perspective drawings are always going to be approximations to some extent.) I forget the author's name at the moment but if I remember I will post it tomorrow.

Francis Tsai
    TeamGT Studios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought perspective made easy a while ago. Its definetely a great book, and I'd recommend it. It may be a little, i dunno, basic, but it definetely improves your work. Or you can go with something like Francis is recommending, if you want more complex stuffs.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 331 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As well as "Figure Drawing for All Its Worth", don't miss Loomis' "Successful Drawing", which has some extensive sections on perspective, including perspective of shadows.

Download both of them from the venerable acidkick:
    http://acidkick.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rex Vicat Cole's Perspective for Artists

Members who have read this thread: 1