Wacom....now!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wacom....now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom....now!

Being relatively new to the world of digital painting, I am currently tablet-less. I've gathered, through lurking in several forums like this one, that Wacom is the way to go. I've done some research on them and like what I see. Here's the question(s)....

First, how big do I REALLY need? Aside from the idea that "bigger is better," I'm under no misconception that I'm some sort of professional...because, well, I'm not. However, I would like to eventually achieve that title, so I figure I need a tablet....the old mouse just isn't giving me what I want. Is a 9x12 really necessary for a beginner? Would a 6x8 be okay? I must admit that I'm leaning towards the 9x12.

Secondly, where should I buy it? Wacom sells the 9x12's direct for $469. But, Newegg.com sells them for $399. Should I go for cheaper, or should I go for manufacturer direct? Or is there anywhere else you would recommend (don't say "eBay" because, despite all of the good that has come from it, I don't particularly trust individuals who don't have business licenses).

Thanks for the help.

:::shund:::
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    6x8 is ok I used those at school and they arn't bad. But I have a 9x12 I bought online for $405 ( cant remeber where though). It has a more natural feel to it because the scale is not reduced. But either way you'll have to get used to it. So go with the best you can afford. If you can do the 9x12 then I would say do the 9x12. But if it'll cause you to eat air sandwiches for the next year or so....

mitch

There was much rejoicing in the realm of the Harvest Gods when man created the beer, light could not penetrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    am gonna get me a 9X12, if i had the money i'ed get a cintiq

Perfect Kay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scaling was exactly what I was worried about. Having a 19" monitor and using a 6x8 didn't really make sense to me. I've decided to get the 9x12 after asking around quite a bit. Newegg.com has it for $399. I think I might go with that. Thanks for the help

:::shund:::

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've recently got mine and i think you should stick to the 9x12" cos i've got 12x12" and it is HUGE!!! talk about lean on it and break it! hahahaha

Big fan of Anime and Manga!
    Can't draw to save my life!
    This site is very depressing cos i really can't draw but it's an ace site!!
    My crap work Shame someone took my dream username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got a tablet. General concensus when i asked about wa sthat the A5 size (5 by 6 i think) was plenty big enough for most stuff. The thing is a lot bigger than i was expecting, but the working area is fine. I definately couldnt have handled the next one up on my desk.

But then, those with more experience might say its too small.

Laconic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks,

Plenty of experienced, and professional, Painter artists use the 6 x 8 inch Intuos 2 tablet and say there's plenty of room to work.

I bought the 9 x 12 Intuos 2 and within a day found it impossible to use as it took up so much room on my desk and I had to reach too far to use my keyboard. I returned it and brought home the 6 x 8 Intuos 2 (for considerably less money) and have been happy with it.

Sacrificing efficiency and comfort just to have an unnecessarily large tablet hardly makes sense.. and again.. it costs more!

I suppose for people with plenty of money, plenty of desktop space, and another level (pullout keyboard holder) for their keyboard, it might make sense to buy a 9 x 12 inch tablet. Lots of us don't fall into that category, though.

A 6 x 8 tablet is fine, as long as you have pressure sensitivity and the Intuos 2 has 1024 levels.. and higher resolution than the Graphire (which someone had to tell me!).

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i wish i could return mine but i got mine from my bro in HK!!!
    complete shame that it doesn't work on Painter 7 on MacX plus very difficult to use the tablet tho it always peeves me off when you tilt your pen and the sensor jumps over somewhere else!!!

Big fan of Anime and Manga!
    Can't draw to save my life!
    This site is very depressing cos i really can't draw but it's an ace site!!
    My crap work Shame someone took my dream username

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shall we put it to a vote then?

So what really is the best size? Are there any other professionals out there that would like to comment and say one way or the other..dont worry about price....just what are your functional reasons for using either size....cheers

Live like you are going to die tomorrow. Learn like you are going to live forever. GANDHI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have had a 12x12, a 8x6 and recently the 4x6

Believe it or not, I have been the happiest with the smallest size because I didn't like having to move my hand with large gestures in order to draw. With the large size I always ended up formatting the drawing area on the tablet.

If you get the 4x5, you probably will not feel as though you are really missing anything.

For me, the small tablet works because it just takes up less room. If I were going to get another, I would probably get the same size...

The 8x6 isn't a bad size either...it allows you to create a smaller drawing area but if you need to trace something that is larger, you can expand that area.

The 12x12 ratio, I believe, is too large.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Junky...but what do you mean you had to format the drawing area on the 12x12 tablet?

Live like you are going to die tomorrow. Learn like you are going to live forever. GANDHI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can draw out an area on a larger sized tablet so that the drawing area then falls within that area. So, instead of a 12x12 tablet you then could have a drawing area that is maybe 4x5. The rest of the space falling outside of that area would be disabled until you switch back to full drawing area.

If you have ever used a 12 " tablet, you soon realize that to move the mouse from the lower right hand corner of the screen to the upper left, (usually needed to make a menu selection) you have to physically move your hand and pen that distance. With a mouse, you just shuffle the mouse in place a few times till you get the cursor from point A to B.

Personally, this exagerated movement always bothered me...with a small area defined, you don't have to move your pen as far to make menu selections.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mate, I'll take it into consideration. The idea of exagerated hand movements to get basic file opening done with a tablet etc, would annoy me....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try them both out if you can. I have a 9 x 12 and I like it...Jason Manley likes that size or larger for more gestural strokes. Foster has a 6 x 8 and he kicks butt with it. Just try them out and see which one suits you better...also consider your workspace...if you have an ultra small workspace than you will want the 6 x 8.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks MindCandy. Im hoping other people will respond so that this thread becomes the thread for all the newbs (like me) to come to whn asking about tablets...:p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    couple things to keep in mind...

don't get a cintiq...it only has half the levels of sensitivity that an intuos 2 has. Also the intuos 2 supports tilting of the stylus. If tilting isn't important you might consider buying an intuos 1 (same as jon foster uses)...it would cost you like 100 bucks on ebay or whatever for a 6 x 8 and would work the same. But it is nice to have a new one hehe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to make sure you know this but be sure that you get the USB not the serial port.

If money were no object, I would probably get a 6x8 but for me, as I said earlier, 4x5 works really good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good call artjunky I almost ordered a serial one when I got mine...I was checking over the order and was like...oh man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

tablet size

Greetings:

What really makes the choice of size will be your desk space. I use a 4x5 and although a 6x8 would be my ideal choice 4x5 works fine. If you have all the money in the world get the cintiq, since you paint on screen.... But if you have a real world budget and you can't afford 312 bucks on an intous 6x8 tablet, don't sweat it and get the 4x5. Also if you have a small desk to work on a big tablet will be a pain in the but. Hope that helps. Oh don't buy an Aiptek, since they don't work well and it's a waste of money, I bought one and wasted 100 bucks. I learned the hard way.

Later,

Alex
    3D Artist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no pro, but I also like the 4x5. I prefer a very compact movement of my hand. Surprising how far you have to move the stylus even on a 4x5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even with my 4x5 I formatted it to be a smaller drawing area. The only thing that I noticed about the 6x8 was the ability to trace larger things if needed. Not that I really ever traced much. That option was available. I agree with you though, the 4x5 was perfectly large enough. Yes, it is amazing at how far you have to move even on a 4x5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Art.
    I'm about to buy an Intuos2 (have the Graphire now).
    I considered the ability to trace larger items, but I also don't trace much, and figure I can scan and then reduce whatever I want to trace.
    The Graphire is great, but I'm looking forward to the extra sensitivity, and the tool id feature with some extra pens.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more wacom questions

What im curious about is,
    which product do most of you use?
    the intous2
    or the graphire 2
    does the graphire have decent resolution??
    I know it is much cheaper then the intous, but does it work good for painting??

=====================
    If i thought it'd make you love me, i'd eat soup on a stick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi soup.
    The Graphire works great, but the Intuos has additional pressure sensitivity and additional features.
    The Wacom web site has all the info, so you can compare the two.
    If you're using a full version of Painter, I'd recommend the Intuos.
    I've seen the Intuos at on line sites for about $165-$170

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks, I think ill buy the graphire just because im poor anyways

=====================
    If i thought it'd make you love me, i'd eat soup on a stick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got the Graphire2 (4x5) about a week ago. It really works great. I was a bit worried about the size, but it has been no problem at all. While I may be able to afford a better one, I wasn't sure if it was worth spending so much more money on a few more inches. As far as I can tell right now, I made a good decision.

It still takes up enough space on my desk that I have to push it aside when I'm not using it. Anything any bigger I think would start to become a real inconvenience.

Either way, everything I read in this board and others helped me make a decision I should have made a long time ago. A scanner and a mouse really don't cut it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so you know, I bought the Intuos 6x8 and am having a great time with it. Its basically perfect in terms of size and resolution for me, thanks to all who posted comments.

BTW Im using a 19" monitor and I find that to be ok with respect to the tablet as well...

:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My two cents'

I use a 12X18. lets me draw with my arm and shoulder not just my wrist. Plus its almost perfectly proportioned to my Mac 21'' cinema display.

Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im not a pro
    But for me bigger wasnt better.
    I had a short practice in a place where I tried the "A3" size wacom (Im not good on inches) and I thought that was too big! Not to talk waaaay to expensive for me. Couldnt have it on the desk, not in the lap either. It was bizarrly big!

Now I have me an A6 graphire :/ Which is actually good. I zoom in for details and zoom out for the bigger things. Todays graphire is as good as the intuios from a few years back.
    Oh - cheapscates trick - when the plastic gets a bit rough - tape an a piece of overhead plastic - saves U a buck and I wouldnt know where to get a new plastic either :/

Maybe someday Ill afford the intuios A5, that would suit me fine I would think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Hello. New to the forums, here.

I just bought a Wacom pad, the Intuos2, and it seems my pressure sensitivity isn't working.

Any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.