Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with the book publishing process?

Or have any links?

I did a quick search on this and came up with a glut of useless information.

I'm doing my master trainer certificate 4 in strength training and I often illustrate the human anatomy in order to help myself understand better and it really helps and a few of my class mates also like to refer to them to more clearly see something since all we have are shitty little diagrams in our provided books.

I was talking to one of our trainers and the idea came about that the possibility of me drawing up an anatomy book specifically suited to the teachings of the course, which of course wouldn't be too much of a stretch since I do them everyweek anyway, and could be officially adopted by the training institute which is nation wide and regarded as the best training school in this field in Aust, which means nice returns + I'd end up with a reference book of all my own illustrations as well.

At the moment I am referring to about 4 different books since they all go into different levels of depth and would be convenient to have all th course info in one place.

I've got a partial scattered idea of what goes into the publishing process, but if anyone has published anything before, I'd greatly appreciate any help you could give, cheers.

m

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well im working on and off on a book project and have found a publisher, but i think some things really depend on the publisher you work with. and on the actual printers and binders.

publishing is among other things financing a hole. you have to pay the printer, binder and distribute the book to selling points. when (if?!) the books get sold, the publisher earns his investment back. so any publisher is going to want to see a pitch (think content pages and sample pages and people involved) / manuscript of some sort - to see if its worth the risk.

i suggest you talk to different publishers to shop the project around and get some specific info on what page size are practical etc. if your gonna self-publish or let the training institute publish it then you could talk to different printing and binding shops to get specific technical info.

there are also some self-publish sites on the web. i have no experience with them and have looked only vaguely at them (they might fall under the useless information category) but here they are:

http://www.lulu.com/

http://www.my100books.com/

hope that helped a bit.

tensai

Thanks
    Magic Man

It sounds like what you want to do is self-publish. There are lots of small publishers that specialize in self-publishing. Normally this is a risky venture since the author is responsible for marketing, promotion & distribution, plus warehouse fees for storing the books. This is after having paid for the production & printing costs. Since you are doing this for a specific organization, you may not have to deal with those issues and the training institute may be willing to share the cost. Having never done this myself, I can't recommend a good self-publisher. Ask the writers in your video game company if they have ever looked into this option and if they can recommend a good self-publisher. That's probably the best way to find one.

Some self-publishing companies may require you to have their graphics department lay out the book. Others may provide the specs to lay out the book yourself in Quark or InDesign. As an art director, I would imagine that you would want more control over the project and would be better able to follow the specs than someone who has never done any desktop publishing. It all depends on what kind of time you have to devote to this project
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys - figure 2, definitely, I'd want majority control over how the final poduct looks because I know from my own knowledge what someone would want, what type of binding, how much note space, etc, and I'd definitely want to be in control of layout as well, I'm versed with desktop publishing and the whole adobe suite so that wouldn't be a problem.

I mean I don't mind spending the money, because I want the control over this as well as any copyrights etc and I've got people who are willing to invest in this so thats not really a problem, and if it does get made it will have a guaranteed uptake of a few hundred units per month and its also for students so wouldn't want to charge a massive premium since there's economies of scale and I know how tight financially some students are so I wouldn't feel right charging extrenuous profit margins.

The types of things I'd need help in are things like the print process - the publishers would take care of that, how about things like the legalities, proof readings, etc - from what I've read, they mostly take care of these aspects too. How about percentages, turn around times - I'd read 3 months for proofing as a rough guide, etc?

Thanks again for your help guys.

m

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    The types of things I'd need help in are things like the print process - the publishers would take care of that, how about things like the legalities, proof readings, etc - from what I've read, they mostly take care of these aspects too. How about percentages, turn around times - I'd read 3 months for proofing as a rough guide, etc?
    At this point you need to find a couple of self-publishing companies in Austrailia (I am sure there are hundreds) so you can price-shop and put those questions to their sales reps. While you are at it, get some quotes for editing & proofreading from other sources. You don't necessarily need to buy those services from the publisher and you will maintain more control over the project and maybe save some cash in the long run.

As far as legalities, in the U.S., the US copyright office has downloadable forms with instructions that anyone can fill in, send in the form with the fee and copyright their work. Don't know if the Austrailian offers the same convenience for intellectual property protection. Worth looking into.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio