i want my sketches to NOT loook flat-will pay

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy i want my sketches to NOT loook flat-will pay

Hi

i dont know where else to go

i need/want someone who wants/can help me with something.

i can draw (i think) that is not the problem, the problem is that i can NOT use photoshop for coloring.

not matter WHAT i do, my drawings (after painted in ps) come out FLAT.

i tried many diff. settings (brush opacity, and set to multiply, color, overlay, balbla) it just does not blend well.

what i want: for someone to send me Videos of them working on a piece (or what i send you) with audio explaining how they put those white (specualr) shiny points , where the light is shining without making the white parts, look like an accident or a bad brush stroke left by accident.

what i'm willing to do: i will pay you or buy/order stuff online 4u

please give me a price and let me know

(loser blocke message: please PLEASE do not reply with tutorial links or a google link, i know your computer is faster than mine and that the revolution controller is OLD news for you, you are COOL. i can not compete with you.
    since i want to find a teacher it should not bother you that i am not l33t)

this is not meant to scare ppl away, just to keep whoever is serious around.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think this thread should go in the paying jobs forum not in the sketches thread since you didn't attach a sketch. Which would be a good idea to let the one who will tackle this see how you draw. They'll need to know how 'far' you are. I'm gonna ignore the last bit of your message and say: Do look at tutorials, draw from life, draw from photo's to see how light and shadow interact and don't just depend on digital programs. Use crayons, pencils, paints, whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am gonna give you a link. I think http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/ has exactly what you want: a lot of talking and they film their workprocesses too.

You can choose what dvd's you want. I saw a Feng Zuh one that lasted 3 hours and he doodled like 80 thumbnails only explaining why and how he's working.

GL.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Windex,
    Do you want to LEARN how to paint better, or just pay someone to just do it for you. If the former, post your work here, and let other members give you suggestions, or go over to the Painting in Photoshop thread in the Photoshop forum.

If you simply want to hire someone, this thread needs to be moved.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by windex
    (loser blocke message: please PLEASE do not reply with tutorial links or a google link, i know your computer is faster than mine and that the revolution controller is OLD news for you, you are COOL. i can not compete with you.since i want to find a teacher it should not bother you that i am not l33t)
    I am baffled as to why you end your post in such an insulting and childish manner. There is absolutely no call for that kind of attitude.

Agree, this thread seems like it should be moved to paying jobs section. Wether its artwork done or tutor to teach you, its still a job request. And most especially since you dont want any other kind of help that would include links or suggestions (like the gnomon videos).

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

heh..wow replies, tnx
    Basically i need to "FAKE IT", that is right, all i need is to be able to FAKE IT

Unfortunately i do not have the money to sit around and draw for 10 hours a day (which i would KILL to do) since rent does not pay itself. and for what i want to do, it will not require me to be supa awsome like alot of ppl here.

the thing is i can draw (at least i think so, even though you can Always improve yourself blablal) and i can use the software (ps, illustrator etc) but i'm not able to use COLORS in PS for examaple. since in real life, when you mix blue and yellow, you get green, but in photoshop, i'm not able to do that.

and i'm not able to do dark/light (even when using a tablet, pressure set to blabla) , since some ppl say NEVER use the smudge or dodge or etc. tools...

that is why i'm stuck at one point and not making any progress.

sorry if the last bit sounded rude/offensive/anti..., thanks for the help and the link, i've checkout tutorials and links and dvd's but what i think will improve my skill (eh) is watching another person do it.

Cookiedough: tnx, i HATE that guy (he is an alien, ) you simply can not be that good. [actualy u kan, draw for 10 hours a day, EVERYday-other me talking]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

here is an image done by someone who looks just BADARSE

how in the world can i match the shine on the head (brown fangs?) and/or the body, do i paint the brown first and then use white (with a brush with secret settings?) i wish i knew.

i'll take ur advise, i'll post in the paying job section

tnx anyways,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen man, it's not about tutorials, or even watching gnomon DVD's, and it's certainly not about brush settings or even photoshop or painter at all. The quickest way is to learn this is to look at a picture (a photograph, not a drawing) in which light is reflected in the way you're wanting to depict in your images. Pay special attention to where the light is coming from, and how it hits the surface. Pay special attention also to what the surface is made out of, and why it reflects the way it does, as well as what makes it different from other surfaces that aren't reflective.

Asking someone else to do this for you is not the way you improve at all. Everyone who draws and paints, who tries to render forms either accurately or believably faces this issue, and they all solve it by looking at other reflective things, and finding out how light plays off of their surfaces. Every surface in the real world is reflective to some degree. Just study them. Do studies in your sketchbook, and you'll solve this problem in no time.

Hopefully, in a few weeks time, you'll look back on this thread in disbelief that you posted something like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FAKE IT!!??

YOU WANT TO FAKE IT??!!

i was ok with this thread up until that point. man that's just fucking insulting!

you don't learn to paint in photoshop, you learn to paint by painting. there's no secret brush, no magic wand, no genie in a bottle. there's just practice and experience.

i can appreciate the fact that you want to be taught how to do certain things, and you may find some great people on this site willing to do that. but when you say that you just want to "fake it", it makes me think that you want to pass off someone else's work as your own. and that is most definitely not cool. in fact it's completely fucking immoral.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
    teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

learn. it's slow. believe me. but do it yourself or you'll never ever improve.

unless you're autistic. in which case, i advise following in others' footsteps and making criminal threats and purposefully suppressing any personal progress by hindering yourself senselessly. (IRelyOnYourPity, From the void or whatever... you know who you are.)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can't buy skill dude. learn it like everyone else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the last four people said exactly the same inane thing with varying degrees of coherence:

"learn. it's slow. believe me. but do it yourself or you'll never ever improve.

unless you're autistic."

Cringeworthy gags about autism are and mawkish quotes about fishing are big melting chocolate teapots.
    Granted learning is by nature a slow, personal process but does anyone know of any useful tips pages or useful resources the guy can use? Perhaps from established painters wishing to share their skills? What about images that can be easily deconstructed and copied so the techniques used can be practiced and mastered.

Give a man a chip shop and he'll be fat and happy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think some of you misinterpreted his intentions of watching somebody else do it. He wants to learn the execution, the process, the step by step and windex is willing to pay to see the process in action.
    But on the flipside, you can't just know the process and instantly bang out a kickass piece. You must learn the fundamentals, develop awareness.
    And i recommend drawing from life rather from a photo reference. IMO, a photo reference is limited.

Ps-the revolution controller is hot sex. =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your premise is faulty. If someone sends you a video of how they paint a cool worm, you may be able to replicate it, perhaps even very like them.

You will not, however, be able to do much more.

The basis of this person's ability to make such inspired, varied images cannot be sent over a single DVD, nor a large set. Artistic guidelines are a bit more complicated and will take a lot of study and practice in order to apply on a wide scale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Your premise is faulty. If someone sends you a video of how they paint a cool worm, you may be able to replicate it, perhaps even very like them.

You will not, however, be able to do much more."

Not at first, but in copying you learn the techniques you can then apply to your own projects.
    I agree that learning about artistic context, colour, perspective etc etc takes a great deal of time an effort but the principle remains the same; immitate, replicate, understand, innovate...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    windex...could you by any chance post some of your photoshit so we may tell you what to do?...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I absolutely agree with Mono. I also think that you misinterpretated what he wanted to explain. Maybe with "fake it" he just means how he can make the human eye believe what it sees. Because just with fleshy tones or reflection in the eyes, flesh etc., it's all about making the brain believe that the artwork looks 3D, although it's a 2D work. Of course you should all learn by youself, in order to improve and just learn to solve tricky problems in concept design. But looking at exemples or tutorials is good as well. You can learn from everything you're watching, unless you will be able to apply what you've learned. I.e. watching the Gnomon Workshops isn't that bad, because you'll learn some tricks from how to solve some problems in a quicker way than when you try several possibilities all by yourself. Maybe that's kinda "faking it", but wether you learn this during a long way in art classes or the quick way by "finding the trick" doing it quickly, it really doesn't matter, as long you're able to apply it on your own artwork, while fitting your own kind of style. What works works.
    I also think that drawing from life, as Mono mentioned is the best way, but sometimes that'd be rather to complicated, especially when drawing an insect-like creature like Windex's.
    So I'd recommend to look at some insect books and find some photo reference. And even if some others might kill me: there are 2 good Gnomon DVDs concerning the problem. "Rendering Eyes" and "Rendering Flesh". Don't know who did them, but you'll find them on the Analog Design-section of their home page (thegnomonworkshop.com).

Hope that helps.

cheers!

"Happen to every guy sometimes this does."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you want to see processes, then download oc at http://davivsjapan.com/oC11b72.exe and go to this thread and download wpe files to play. You see all the brushstrokes and everything that people do, and there is files from advanced artists. I think this is what you're after. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow...

ok here is a couple of images which i TRIED to draw/paint

one

the problem is that i know how to use photoshop, and i know how to mix paint and actually paint in Real life, but i can not mix both (npi, ps+color skilz)

so that is why this creature looks flat, and my few attempts at making it look 3d failed, so i did not continue and instead i used blur filter (super no no) in the bg and saved ahhah NOO

and this thingy, (self portrait) which looks flat also, and could have more contrast but i do not know HOW to fix it.

note the crappy hat color, the colors do not even blend 2+gether Yeaa heaa
    i feel like a pimp, 2 threads running @da same time

i'm not saying i want to be SUPA in 2 1/2 hours or get awards or anything, all i'm saying is that i am looking to Learn HOW others do it so i can work smart.

p.s. OMG MONO I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE, I HAVE WATCH EVERY VIDEO I COULD FIND ON THAT THING AND ALL I CAN THINK OF IS ME STABBING A GUY IN THE STOMAC, TWISTING THE KINFE AND PULLING IT OUT, JUST TO WATCH HIS GUTS FALL OUT. OR A MILLION OTHER THING YOU CAN DO. too bad the IDIOT game compaines will not take risks and will not make cool games for it for Hardcore gamers. thus letting ps4 and xbox361 copy the technology and out^(*&* them.ok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Windex

what i'm willing to do: i will pay you or buy/order stuff online 4u

please give me a price and let me know

send me $1000 usd to my paypal, I'll tell you the secret.....seriously, I will.

Artist|S2 Games.
    my sketch blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I read enough of this post to get the gist of what you're after I think. You are going through what probably many people who are just beginning drawing/art have gone through. You're looking for that "secret" that will unlock the mysteries of representational art, and everything will just start falling into place. Here's the catch: shit doesn't work like that. You have to work at it, a LOT. It takes time, practice and yes, many failures along the way. Start with the basics of drawing, and work up from there. Also, something to keep in mind, photshop and painter are amazing programs, but they can't do the work for you. They're just tools.

Start with drawing what you can see first of all, then you can be able to draw convincing pictures of things you can't.

As to your drawings being flat; they look flat because they are. You have little or no overlapping, and your characters are both perfectly in profile. As far as the color is concerned, there seems to be nothing really besides gradients or flat color on the figures, thus giving them no depth. You seem to be thinking of things in terms of shapes, not forms in other words, you aren't thinking of things three dimensionally.

A problem I faced not so long ago. One thing that helped me out a lot was simply drawing things as basic forms: cylinders, boxes, spheres, etc. Practice this a lot, also learn some of the basics of perspective, these things will go a long way in helping you think beyond things being flat cardboard cutout looking objects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jeez, somebody move this thread.

Windex,

It seems to me you are curently lacking patience. When I first came accross this forum it took me a month just to find my way round, but while I've been here I've been lucky enough to see tutorials bu some of the most tallented artists in the world. Just stick with it.
    Till then I heartily recomend Betty Edwards "Drawing on the right side of the brain". She teaches a 5 day workshop that takes the novice through all they need to know to make drawings of realistic looking things.

Rob

Brutal crits for today,
    regrets for tomorrow

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RobHughes
    Jeez, somebody move this thread.
    Sorry, Rob, but this thread is exactly where it needs to be, in Sketches and WIPs. Works In Progress need help. These works need help. 'k? thx...

Windex, thank you for posting your pics, I like your "self portrait." The squiddy guy shows promise.

For the moment (and ONLY for the moment), we will ignore the background issue. I fully expect you to return to this important issue at a future date...soon.

Regading your renderings,
    * You have a nice sense of linework, with smooth stokes, and interesting shapes and forms.
    * You have a good eye for basic colors and hue associations.
    * You are effective at conveying a lot visually with a minimum of strokes.

If you would like to Learn various art techniques for depth, and why they work on the human eye, take some time, and study this. It will give you a better understanding of why certain images are more successful.

Practice this tutorial until you understand the logic behind what you paint. It's just a triangle, so it's not too complex.
    This is a much more complex tutorial, and although you may want to start at page one, I've linked it for you at the "coloring in" stage, so that you can quickly see the basics of the technical effects you need to study and practice.

You've drawn two nice pieces. It's not that hard to give them depth, once you understand what it is you are trying to do, and how to use your tools to do it.

Take the time to do some reading, studying, and practice. Then, give these two pieces another try, and share with us your problems/progress.
    And then, maybe we'll discuss backgrounds...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Members who have read this thread: 1