Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 75
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Why are you drawing

    Well, I do it because I have lots of funny and sexist stories running through my head. I want to draw them but have to make lots of studies to do so, maybe someday I will be able to do that.
    But I do not know why you all draw, nobody of you invents charcters, who they can identify with, no one draws storys. Although most of the people here are almost perfect, they do studies and some figures and backgrounds they will never see again. You draw a an ork, took you maybe 5 hours, and then you put it away and draw something new, your whole drawing will never begin to live, they will never express you or what you thought while you drawed that. What the hack are you thinkin´ when you go to bed? Pornos, ok, anything else?
    artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

    when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Auckland NewZeland
    Posts
    2,867
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked 620 Times in 316 Posts
    becasue every time I place a Mark on paper i climax a little.
    Last edited by Robert.B; September 21st, 2005 at 12:26 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

    SketchBook



    "it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    sf
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    485
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    i do it for the money. i would not be doing production art if i didnt earn a living with it. i think thats what might be confusing you about alot of ther content on this site. this place was set up by concept artists, for concept artists and those who want to get into or are into the art of that field. production art, in order for it to communicate the proper things must be done a certain way, so as that modellers, lighters, texture guys, ect can read into an image and interpret it. story is typically sacrificed for analytical content. thats just the way it works. and there are plenty of sequential artists that frequent this forum. sequential art's job is to tell a story. but the name of this site is conceptart.org, and the main focus does lie around the field of concept art, which is usually focused more on design, and less on story.-c36

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayt
    But I do not know why you all draw, nobody of you invents charcters, who they can identify with, no one draws storys.
    That is what I study for, and hope to do.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkarts
    That is what I study for, and hope to do.
    i also hope to one day through studying art to be able to create stories/worlds with my own designs or illustrations, so that one day somebody will look at a design or illustrations in a book or something and be inspired as i have been inspired by so many other artists. so i guess why i draw is in hopes that i can add something to the pool of ideas artists have generated throughout human history. i dont know, its something about the ability that we have to create worlds and stories in our minds that blows me away, and i want to be part of that.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    good question
    Posts
    307
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Same here, pretty much. And it's tough, 'cause you need to know how to write as well, if you plan to create something of your own. Even if you have good taste in movies, books, whatever, it goes a long way from there to actually being able to do it yourself, just like with drawing. And just like with drawing, you need to be real stubborn to make it through. I don't know many people who actually write and draw their own stories, in fact, i haven't heard of any. And even if you do make it, i suspect the pay won't be as good as a concept artist's, who, as has already been put here, are struggling to make a living as well.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    661
    Thanks
    50
    Thanked 103 Times in 34 Posts
    two words: escaping reality HAHAH!

    but seriously.. I do it for the money, I do it because I'm pretty good at it and I do it just for the fun of it and to kill time. It's a dear hobby turned job- what else could one ask for?

    As for the personality issue: el coro already said it... CA is a place to improve your technical skills, thats why there are a lot of "soulless" pictures floating around this place..

    but see it this way: people who refine their skills here may have the same aspirations as you.. maybe they just arent on the technical level to make their "dream-artwork" yet...

    Etienne

    "How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

    *** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

    MY HOMEPAGE

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know if it's like this for other people, but I don't usually draw what's closest to my heart. If I draw what's really important to me, I want to make it perfect, exactly how I visualize it - and I'm not good enough to do that yet. I probably won't ever be good enough to articulate the most important things through art.

    But why do I draw? Because I can't NOT draw.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    2,987
    Thanks
    295
    Thanked 290 Times in 173 Posts
    If i don't get the demons out of my head and put them on paper, they eat my soul.







    My work: [link]

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    like Rocky said, "because I can't sing and dance"

    I don't think I understand the question. Or maybe I think the answer is too obvious. I draw (paint) because, for god knows why, people give me money to do it and thus I don't have to get a "real" job.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    ah, ok, how much does a concept artist get per month?
    So you have to draw what other want you to draw, but it is also fun?
    Well, I think, when I am good enough, I will forget about my stories....also, I don´t want to become a concept artist, I just want to have a hobby I can do my whole life.
    artwork
    nothing special....sadly....but I hope someday^^

    when you want to mentor someone, you may want to come here
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=406

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,422
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 678 Times in 247 Posts
    Maybe I'm just taking this wrong but it sounds to me like you're really down-playing the work of concept artists. I din't think you understand just how much charazterization goes into the characters and world when doing concept art. You're inventing a culture of pople soemtimes. Why would my character wear this? What's fashionable? What's the climate like in this area? What are popular foods. It's great that you're drawing an all, but try thinking more in depth about something like this..

    if I totally mis-read you, than apologize, but it seems liek an odd statement to me.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *



  14. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Posts
    2,347
    Thanks
    255
    Thanked 136 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el coro
    i do it for the money. i would not be doing production art if i didnt earn a living with it. i think thats what might be confusing you about alot of the content on this site.

    This place was set up by concept artists, for concept artists and those who want to get into or are into the art of that field.

    Production art, in order for it to communicate the proper things must be done a certain way, so as that modellers, lighters, texture guys, ect can read into an image and interpret it.
    Story is typically sacrificed for analytical content. That's just the way it works.

    And, there are plenty of sequential artists that frequent this forum. Sequential art's job is to tell a story.

    But the name of this site is conceptart.org, and the main focus does lie around the field of concept art, which is usually focused more on design, and less on story.-c36
    Thank you el coro, for clarifying the differentiation better than I've seen in awhile!

    My only disagreement with your explanation, though, is that I thought Concept art was the technical execution of the illustration of a story in a single image, or the development of the story behind the technical illustration.

    I draw and paint, and carve, and glue, for various reasons, but none of them as a "I need to pay my bills," "only for the money," reason.
    Sometimes it's a personal gift, motivated by any of a hundred reasons from housewarming (No larger than 5x7 so they can "lose" it easily...lol!), celebration (a friend's son was heading off to veterinary college. A small portrait of him and animals), etc.
    Sometimes, it's helping a friend out with a web site (either for $ or barter), sometimes it is just to get overwhelming emotions out by stroking, splattering, scrubbing, and abusing paint into the canvas. Sometimes it's to enjoy the day, sometimes it's to avoid the day...Sometimes it's to pass time, or remain quiet in the background of a situation. Like most "Why?" questions, the answer always is, "It depends..."

    ~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!


  15. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vienna, EU
    Posts
    555
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why do I draw?

    Well, I had this idea of a story I wanted to tell when I was something about 10. I wanted to fascinate people, to take them into my world...kind of. Let them see the locations they would never see in their real lifes, let them feel the breath of the creatures that would never exist. And I wanted to create it in a way that it so was cool that readers could get "addicted to it", so that they just couldn´t resist coming back again and again.

    Now, 17 years later, my story has grown up to 5 chapters with each approx. 3 x 22 episodes and I´m working on my drwaing skills. I guess, you can imagine how intimidating this monster has become for me.

    So I began working on a smaller comicproject for practising reasons.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Naples, Fl.
    Posts
    429
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I draw because i can.







    Or so i hope thats the case. i wish someone would pay me, but i'm not good enough yet. i draw because i enjoy displaceing my emotions into something tangiable...i dont know. i sometimes wonder if i missed the point of art...and other times i'm dead on. i agree with Madster "It depends"

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayt
    Well, I do it because I have lots of funny and sexist stories running through my head. I want to draw them but have to make lots of studies to do so, maybe someday I will be able to do that.
    But I do not know why you all draw, nobody of you invents charcters, who they can identify with, no one draws storys. Although most of the people here are almost perfect, they do studies and some figures and backgrounds they will never see again. You draw a an ork, took you maybe 5 hours, and then you put it away and draw something new, your whole drawing will never begin to live, they will never express you or what you thought while you drawed that. What the hack are you thinkin´ when you go to bed? Pornos, ok, anything else?
    your comments seem pretty judgmental to me. You make it sound like we are all soulless vapid robots. I looked at some of your work expecting to see some "fine art" aesthetics and emotion, but was surprised to find run-of-the-mill manga fanart.
    Why do you think your motives are more noble and pure than the rest of us?
    Even those who confess to doing it for the money still put more of themselves into their work than you are implying.
    -₪╢ ǾЯĊǺŦŖΛŻ ╟₪- ~orc

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    NewYork
    Posts
    1,407
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayt
    I just want to have a hobby ....
    I think this may be the source of the large misunderstanding you have. I'm pretty confident that 90% of the members here would never consider their artistic endeavors a 'hobby'. What you pursue as a something for entertainment, amusement, and to fill time...others on this board are studying as hard a a future doctor would study medicine. There is no comparison.
    ******************
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    767
    Thanks
    60
    Thanked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    Because of my name

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    4,422
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked 678 Times in 247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orcatraz
    your comments seem pretty judgmental to me. You make it sound like we are all soulless vapid robots. I looked at some of your work expecting to see some "fine art" aesthetics and emotion, but was surprised to find run-of-the-mill manga fanart.
    Why do you think your motives are more noble and pure than the rest of us?
    Even those who confess to doing it for the money still put more of themselves into their work than you are implying.
    I agree. And I know I'm not wondering what your motives were while makign your manga. because it looks to me like you were thinking. "I hope by math etacher does'nt catch me doodlingin my 5 star notebook." I'm sorry if that's rude, but I found this thread to be very offensive.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *



  21. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Practically Sarasota.
    Posts
    3,281
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    "But I do not know why you all draw, nobody of you invents charcters, who they can identify with, no one draws storys"

    We all invent characters. That is the idea behind concept art.

    We are told what to draw, whether it Identifies with us or not.

    Stories are for writers, not visual artists. With the exception of Seq. Artists, of course.

    We draw because we can. What else are we to do? Drawing is the greatest gift, it is so inexpensive, comparativley. No large machines or tools.

    Pencil.
    Something smooth and blank.

    The end.

  22. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    so one day i can make money.

  23. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    i draw to get girls....thats about it

    oh i also have lots of characters and stories going through my head which i hope to someday unleash into the world through art

  24. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 540 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orcatraz
    your comments seem pretty judgmental to me. You make it sound like we are all soulless vapid robots. I looked at some of your work expecting to see some "fine art" aesthetics and emotion, but was surprised to find run-of-the-mill manga fanart.
    Why do you think your motives are more noble and pure than the rest of us?
    Even those who confess to doing it for the money still put more of themselves into their work than you are implying.
    Completely agreed, although I do think english is not the thread stater's first language, but still ignorant as all hell.

  25. #24
    Ilaekae's Avatar
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southwestern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    7,129
    Thanks
    8,241
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I draw, paint and write because...

    ...I'm too ugly to be a hooker, too old and slow to rob banks, and too ethical to run for office or be a preacher.

  26. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    California
    Posts
    688
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Why are you drawing?

    Hmmm, I think I get real deep here and answer that with a question.

    Why do you breath?

    (Personally I can hold my breath for a while but then I start really jonesin' for some air!)
    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

  27. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    GA and the world
    Posts
    4,500
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked 122 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    I draw, paint and write because...

    ...I'm too ugly to be a hooker, too old and slow to rob banks, and too ethical to run for office or be a preacher.
    I read this thread for the express purpose of getting to the punchline.


    It was worth it.

  28. #27
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,647
    Thanks
    18
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    I draw because it helps me forget certain things. It's not a hobby for me it's an obsession.. actually it's more of a lifestyle now.. just to escape reality as someone mentioned.. Hopefully it will start paying bills as well, how awsome is that..

    Also because of what Ilaekae said too..

  29. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly PA
    Posts
    3,389
    Thanks
    108
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    i draw to get girls....thats about it
    ok, so either you're misinformed or I'm doing something wrong. What's the story here guys? Are there artist groupies out there or something?

  30. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    544
    Thanks
    329
    Thanked 84 Times in 56 Posts
    Because it´s sexy, and my only hope now.

  31. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Saskanada
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
    i draw to look cool.. yep the truth comes out! im a poser

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SketchBook: Drawing newbie: Requesting critique and advice for my drawing journey
    By Nerrabyte in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 28th, 2013, 02:13 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 13th, 2011, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 21st, 2010, 08:46 AM
  4. Quick Sketch Videos - Head drawing and Figure drawing
    By conceptartist in forum ART TUTORIALS, ART TIPS & ART TRICKS - ARCHIVE
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Designed by The Coldest Water, we build the coldest best water bottles, ice packs and best pillows.