Step by Step Graphics magazine wanted

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Step by Step Graphics magazine wanted

I am interested in purchasing some of the past issues of Step by Step Graphics mag, the ones that featured the series of articles "Learning From Masters". (They were published in late 80s and early 90s and are rather hard to find.)

I wonder if there's someone who has those issues and perhaps wish to sell 'em? Or he/she might know the place were one could purchase those old mags, provided the price tags are reasonable...?

I know that many people keep those mags and are not willing to part with any of them. I actually do not have to get the physical copies of SBSG; I'd appreciate scans, as well.

Thanx in advance,
    Valentino

https://www.behance.net/Valentino_R
    blog: https://tinoradman.wordpress.com
    www.valentinoradman.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Valentino

I actually have a few of those mags...not a lot mind you, just a couple. I started reading them just as they revised their mag into STEP magazine.

I wouldn't want to sell them (one of my teachers from art school was featured in one...so it's important to me). But i wouldn't mind scanning in the Learning from the Masters part of it.

I'm not sure which ones you're looking for or if the ones i have are infact the ones you need -- Are you just looking for any of them..or particular ones?

If you'd like them regardless, I can scan them in few days.

-Jason

My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for reply. I live in Europe and so far I haven't had opportunitiy to get hold of any issue of SBSG, but I've read lot of praises for the mag. I read a Leyendecker article in Tips&Tricks section of this forum and it was very interesting (I learned about their "Learning From Masters" series there.)

As a matter of fact, I am interested in all demos and tutorial of good illustrators, (particularly the likes of Mark English, Barron Storey, Kent Williams, Ted CoConis, Bill Sienkiewicz etc) both contemporary and past ones, since I believe that the most exciting and most inspiring contemporary realistic art is done by the (top) illustrators.

Last edited by Valentino; September 20th, 2005 at 04:51 PM.
    www.valentinoradman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Have some older SBSG copies

Ran across this posting and thought if anyone is interested, I have some older copies of Step By Step Graphics (SBSG) publications. They range from Vol 2 No 1 to Vol 13 No 3. While the articles are good, some of them include produced pieces that can't be scanned without losing their desired printed effect.

I've seen some on amazon listed for about $50 USD, but I'd be willing to let mine go for less to move them out (I need the room in my studio shelves).

Anyone interested?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A great magazine! Was wondering what happened to it.
    Just found a fantastic tut by Peter deSeve in pdf downloadble format from SBS vol 10, no 6.... deSeve has done many New Yorker covers, designed characters for several movies (Ice Age, etc.) lots of first class stuff... his style is totally awesome, loose, flowing. One of the few real "drawers".

http://www.mediafire.com/file/521mto...DeSeve_tut.pdf

I've seen low-res jpg versions of this, but this one is fully-expandable original page size pdfs.. very cool stuff.

Nate Owens: illustration
    greeting cards, magazines, editorial art
    Portfolio | Blog

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nate Owens For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new master artile book

http://www.theillustratedpress.com/mastth.html

new book collecting all the master articles coming out soon collects 41 artists.

Matt Dicke
    Illustration, Concept and Sequential art.
    www.mattdicke.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hollow18 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It just changed its format and name to Step. When that happened I cancelled my subscription. They jumped on the well designed surface gloss magazine band wagon and lost their incredible content. I collected them all and they are still great teaching tools for my students. It really was a shame. i loved that magazine.

Bill'Studio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am sure the whole CA community will be grateful if someone could scan the most interesting tutorials from SBSG and upload it here...

www.valentinoradman.com

Thanks
    Thanked 5,188 Times in 1,721 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The book contain articles written by Fred Taraba for the Methods of the Masters series, and (it seems to me) some new ones he's done to fill out the book. There are extra images added to each article for the book that were not in the original series. And there are some images that are missing from the original.

There also are a number of articles from the series that are not appearing in the book, ie. the step by steps on Pyle, Wyeth, Rockwell, Leyendecker and others. I suppose those were not written by Fred.

The actual articles are only marginally informative... a few sketches here, a bit of unfinished canvas there, a few choice quotes. It is much more an inside-entertainment kind of thing than a real hardcore aesthetic learning experience. The best part is always the quality of the art. The most informative one I ever saw was the Harvey Dunn one by Charles Andres, which is not in the book. However that essay is online somewhere.

Last edited by kev ferrara; March 26th, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by firehouse View Post
    Ran across this posting and thought if anyone is interested, I have some older copies of Step By Step Graphics (SBSG) publications. They range from Vol 2 No 1 to Vol 13 No 3. While the articles are good, some of them include produced pieces that can't be scanned without losing their desired printed effect.

I've seen some on amazon listed for about $50 USD, but I'd be willing to let mine go for less to move them out (I need the room in my studio shelves).

Anyone interested?
    You have them available? Am interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also have a number of issues of Step-by-Step Graphics magazine that I am willing to unload. The issues are in very good condition, kept in a brown binder with the name of the magazine on the cover. Each magazine can be removed to be leafed through individually.

These issues do not include the Taraba “Learning From the Masters” series.

The issue numbers are as follows:
    Premier Edition 1985
    January/February 1986
    March/April 1986
    May/June 1986
    July/August 1986
    September/October 1986

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.