Art: Recent Work ( BIG DL)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Recent Work ( BIG DL)

Hey guys & gals, here's some recent work.

Just some experimentation. The tea stains were made with a tea bag on bristol paper. Inspired by Marko
    Bounty Hunter

Female Bounty Hunter

And some concept art for BlackWater Software

And a piece from a story if mine.It's still a WIP

Thanks for looking. C & C welcome

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I guess this stuff hasn't found anyones fancy. Here's another one, a quick color piece.

Thanks
    I'll never understand why some posts drown in replies, while others get none whatsoever. It dosn't seem to have all that much to do with the actual content of the post. Oh well.

These are all good, solid character designs - they are obviously capable of conveying exactly the information you wanted (and have done), so kudos to you there.

There's something bothering me about the poses, though. I know that the 'turnarounds' are useless if they're posed dramatically, so saying the characters are 'stiff' isn't actually a criticism. The just don't look 'natural'. A piece where this particularly stands out is your last post - 'Daisy'. She's standing in a relaxed, casual, neutral pose. Except she's not - it looks so forced. I think her upper torso is slightly too long (even when allowing for the long jacket and the skirt), but she looks like she's really struggling to keep that pose up, and not at all like how she would stand naturally.

The same is true of your other pieces too, though not to quite such a large extent. They all look a bit like posed toys, instead of living, breathing people. The effect is accentuated by the drapery techniques you've used - it's following all the 'rules' (do you have 'dynamic wrinkles and drapery' by Hogarth?), but in a slightly rigid, lifeless manner. Prime example is the boots on your female bounty hunter. Technically leather does fall into these types of patterns, but not in such a predictable manner - there's all kinds of variation, randomness, etc that would mean you would never actually see this on a real boot. Same with the folds on the cloak - they're technically proficient, but don't have any 'naturalism' to them.

I don't know if this is because you've used 'too much' ref, and followed it religiously, or because you're really good at drawing from memory, and used hardly any. Could be either, but as far as I can see it's the only thing really lacking from these works, and all that's preventing them from being genuinely amazing.

Hope that helps

Take Care

AJ

Thanks
    Alex- thanks a lot. those are some nice crits. I didn't use any ref for any of these. And yes i do own hogarth's dynamic wrinkles. I am trying to loosen my characters up. I worked on the wrinkles because my previous wrinkles really sucked so i really tried to make them real.
    Thanks again. I'll really keep these things in mind for all next art.

Thanks
    neat stuff man! Daisys leg-muscles arent very feminine, but then again, its a concept so wy go for the slim trim cliché! Also I find lots of focus gathering on the crotch of your female bounty hunter, perhaps the folds in the clothing is a bit exaggerated? Same thing goes with her torn cape, the pattern in the cloth is creepily even.

But you kick my ass when it comes to character design so why listen to me?

Btw, alex totally has a point here - why do some threads hog all the attention? its so strange, its obvious it has no connection whatsoever with its contents.

keep on drawing and post more!

-t

Thanks
    Theo, Thanks a lot man. I really enjoy your work.Your hardware stuff is awesome,your new website is cool.And Daisy's legs are suppose to be like that, I imagined her being pretty buff.Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.