Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

PSP vs DS Rumble

I just bought my PSP, and OMG I am speachless. PSP gets my vote!

PSP vs DS Rumble

I wanna know how DS fans argue that DS is better?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    - Tough choice -

Both are just now comming out of their launch-drout of games, and starting to bring many many games worth their purchase.

The PSP's approach was to throw modesty out the window and offer 'near-console' type of games... And that's ultimately why it doesn't get my vote, its games really are just tiny console games with a ton of production values.
    PSP is the modern-day GameGear/TurboExpress/Linx and so on - but it does what it does very well.
    We'll see how it fairs once it gets some games it can call its own out -- check out LocoRoco!!!! PSP GameOfTheYear 2005!!! ALL VECTOR ART BABY:
    http://www.zombieculture.com/img/loc...maller_205.jpg

Modesty seems to win the handheld front - That's why the GBA did so well, it offered something that consoles couldn't touch - 2d games.
    I love 2d gameplay, and many GBA games really pushed the genra.

The DS gets my vote, because honestly I've never played anything like Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Kirby:Canvas Curse, Meteos, etc. in my years of gaming.... It might not be everyone's cup-o-tea, but i like new/fresh types of gameplay (and i have a feeling we haven't seen nothin' yet) ----- ooooh, AdvanceWars is a gem now, being able to use a stylus
    And I'd put my $$$$ down now, that every handheld from here out is touch-screen sensative by industry standard.... It only makes sense.

The PSP does cause the tech-nerd in me to spooge his pants, and that's why i store it away in it's own non-scratchy carying-case

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse

...and the possibility of a new 2-D Metroid title ("Dread") make DS the clear cut winner in my eyes. I'd personally take Castlevania alone over PSP's entire library. I'm also into the added functionality the stylus offers, even if only a few game make proper use of it.

I was playing the PSP at the Sony Metreon here in San Francisco and found the titles a little too similar to regular PS games (although I wouldn't consider the games they were showing "showcase" material). I also have reservations about the shoddy quality of Sony's hardware (physically, not the technical specifications). In my opinion, a portable should be sturdy, ready to take a beating in my backpack and still function properly. They should also have good battery life, and I've heard the PSP is o.k., but not great in this respect. Battery life is one of the pitfalls that killed a number of technically superior handhelds during the original Gameboy's 11 year stint as king of portables, although the PSP is undoubtedly way more successful than the Game Gear, or Lynx.

To be fair though, PSP does have a mighty sexy looking screen. Next to the PSP's screen the DS's looks like dog poop.

Thanks
    I would go for the DS. Why you ask becuaes i can get it in the color pink. And the DS at least have some new games. While the PSP just has so far put on games that we all played on our old PS1. I would only get the PSP for Death Jr.

Thanks
    I'm Borrowing a Friend's DS to Play the New Castlevania. I don't own either system and this is the first game that has caught my eye...

Argg can't wait to play that

The last game I really digged was RE4.

-Joshua

Thanks
    huge screen, consul quality games, and its super fly.
    PSP ALL THE WAY now in a stylish white

Thanks
    i have to go psp.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    I haven't used any of them, but I'm gonna shoot some stuff outta my arse anyways

The PSP looks very nice, big screen and high resolution, and soon there'll be Megaman Legends 2 for it.

But, It has various hardware problems, a nasty pricetag. I'm not interested in many games for it either.

---

The DS has the stylus, which appeals to me a lot, and I can expect to see some innovative games for it. I really hope they do some ports of games that require mouse, ie. strategy games, 'Monkey Island'-ish (scummVM) games, amiga games, worms/soldat/liero/lemmings...

However, the screens doesn't even have 320*240 resolution, this makes it harder to port classic games to it.

---

Then we have GPX2 (pictures|features), which isn't really a big competitor, but it has some appealing features. First, it's Open. It runs Linux and you can just plug it into a PC with an USB cable and run whatever you like on it (video, image, mp3/ogg, emulators, homebrew etc). It comes with a devkit/SDK. Screen res is 320*240 which is okay for most things. Looks better than the DS, but not as good as the PSP.

No touch screen though, and just a regular button setup. Huge game companies won't make games for it, so it's limited to homebrew and amateur in terms of games made specifically for it. 225usd (@release), not terribly expensive but not cheap either.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Im with the DS, havent played PSP, so cant really judge and I must say it does look like a nice pieace of kit in some resepcts

It costs to much though and like Sammy pointed out the games look like they are just tiny console games, I guess sometimes you gotta escape from crazy realstic graphics and handhelds are the way to do it these days, plus its fricking GBA compatible, which is great and looking at the line up for the DS in the next few months is getting me excitied and ofcourse the touch screen, its really a step of genius but enoughs been said about that

going off topic but is anyone else hoping for a chrono trigger port or remake,I know its Unlikely but it would just be fantastic

-shin

Thanks
    Gah! PSP vs DS is such a argumental subject, always brings uproar in tech sites, but I say PSP, played em both and PSP seems to be getting with the times more.

Also, it seems the DS is made for kids, perfect example:

"New Super Mario Bros.
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse"

I guess I just like games that are fun but not ridiculously childish.

Thanks
    mario kart DS online!!!!!! oooohhhheeeehh iwantiwantiwant
    \(^o^)/

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir

Also, it seems the DS is made for kids, perfect example:

"New Super Mario Bros.
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse"

I guess I just like games that are fun but not ridiculously childish.
    I notice it's usually teenagers who worry about appearing "childish". My friends, who range from being in thier 20's to thier 50's, don't seem to share this concern for some reason... Anyway, I'm from the school of thought that training a dog or composing music is more conceptually mature than beating hookers to a bloody pulp and shooting things, but it's all a matter of perspective I suppose...

Last edited by StrangeAlchemist; September 20th, 2005 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    If we imagine three stereotypical age groups like this:

A: 7 year old

B: 14 years old

C: 25 years old

Then it seems like kiddy games are for group A and C, and not for group B which is too concerned with being cool with the adult games. Group C of course plays both adult and kiddy games.

It's sort of like with animated movies which looks like they're for kids. There's a lot of group A jokes, but then there's also 'hidden' group C jokes, that group B is just too stupid to get, if they even dare to be uncool and go to the movie.

Maybe group B is somewhat neglected when it comes to kiddy games/movies? To appeal to group B you need to take out the finesse and go straight to the 'cool' stuff like:
    "Wow her boobs are showing!"
    "Cooool his head blew up lol! SPLAT! lol! Play it in slomo!"
    "Whoaa did you see that huge axe!"
    "Man that ninja jumped like 2 meters and did a totally awesome backflip"

Those ingredients doesn't work well with entertainment for group A (and C). You can however sneak in group C entertainment in group A products.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 20th, 2005 at 05:28 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.