PSP vs DS Rumble

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

PSP vs DS Rumble

I just bought my PSP, and OMG I am speachless. PSP gets my vote!

PSP vs DS Rumble

I wanna know how DS fans argue that DS is better?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Tough choice -

Both are just now comming out of their launch-drout of games, and starting to bring many many games worth their purchase.

The PSP's approach was to throw modesty out the window and offer 'near-console' type of games... And that's ultimately why it doesn't get my vote, its games really are just tiny console games with a ton of production values.
    PSP is the modern-day GameGear/TurboExpress/Linx and so on - but it does what it does very well.
    We'll see how it fairs once it gets some games it can call its own out -- check out LocoRoco!!!! PSP GameOfTheYear 2005!!! ALL VECTOR ART BABY:
    http://www.zombieculture.com/img/loc...maller_205.jpg

Modesty seems to win the handheld front - That's why the GBA did so well, it offered something that consoles couldn't touch - 2d games.
    I love 2d gameplay, and many GBA games really pushed the genra.

The DS gets my vote, because honestly I've never played anything like Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Kirby:Canvas Curse, Meteos, etc. in my years of gaming.... It might not be everyone's cup-o-tea, but i like new/fresh types of gameplay (and i have a feeling we haven't seen nothin' yet) ----- ooooh, AdvanceWars is a gem now, being able to use a stylus
    And I'd put my $$$$ down now, that every handheld from here out is touch-screen sensative by industry standard.... It only makes sense.

The PSP does cause the tech-nerd in me to spooge his pants, and that's why i store it away in it's own non-scratchy carying-case

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse

...and the possibility of a new 2-D Metroid title ("Dread") make DS the clear cut winner in my eyes. I'd personally take Castlevania alone over PSP's entire library. I'm also into the added functionality the stylus offers, even if only a few game make proper use of it.

I was playing the PSP at the Sony Metreon here in San Francisco and found the titles a little too similar to regular PS games (although I wouldn't consider the games they were showing "showcase" material). I also have reservations about the shoddy quality of Sony's hardware (physically, not the technical specifications). In my opinion, a portable should be sturdy, ready to take a beating in my backpack and still function properly. They should also have good battery life, and I've heard the PSP is o.k., but not great in this respect. Battery life is one of the pitfalls that killed a number of technically superior handhelds during the original Gameboy's 11 year stint as king of portables, although the PSP is undoubtedly way more successful than the Game Gear, or Lynx.

To be fair though, PSP does have a mighty sexy looking screen. Next to the PSP's screen the DS's looks like dog poop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would go for the DS. Why you ask becuaes i can get it in the color pink. And the DS at least have some new games. While the PSP just has so far put on games that we all played on our old PS1. I would only get the PSP for Death Jr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm Borrowing a Friend's DS to Play the New Castlevania. I don't own either system and this is the first game that has caught my eye...

Argg can't wait to play that

The last game I really digged was RE4.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    huge screen, consul quality games, and its super fly.
    PSP ALL THE WAY now in a stylish white

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have to go psp.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't used any of them, but I'm gonna shoot some stuff outta my arse anyways

The PSP looks very nice, big screen and high resolution, and soon there'll be Megaman Legends 2 for it.

But, It has various hardware problems, a nasty pricetag. I'm not interested in many games for it either.

---

The DS has the stylus, which appeals to me a lot, and I can expect to see some innovative games for it. I really hope they do some ports of games that require mouse, ie. strategy games, 'Monkey Island'-ish (scummVM) games, amiga games, worms/soldat/liero/lemmings...

However, the screens doesn't even have 320*240 resolution, this makes it harder to port classic games to it.

---

Then we have GPX2 (pictures|features), which isn't really a big competitor, but it has some appealing features. First, it's Open. It runs Linux and you can just plug it into a PC with an USB cable and run whatever you like on it (video, image, mp3/ogg, emulators, homebrew etc). It comes with a devkit/SDK. Screen res is 320*240 which is okay for most things. Looks better than the DS, but not as good as the PSP.

No touch screen though, and just a regular button setup. Huge game companies won't make games for it, so it's limited to homebrew and amateur in terms of games made specifically for it. 225usd (@release), not terribly expensive but not cheap either.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im with the DS, havent played PSP, so cant really judge and I must say it does look like a nice pieace of kit in some resepcts

It costs to much though and like Sammy pointed out the games look like they are just tiny console games, I guess sometimes you gotta escape from crazy realstic graphics and handhelds are the way to do it these days, plus its fricking GBA compatible, which is great and looking at the line up for the DS in the next few months is getting me excitied and ofcourse the touch screen, its really a step of genius but enoughs been said about that

going off topic but is anyone else hoping for a chrono trigger port or remake,I know its Unlikely but it would just be fantastic

-shin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah! PSP vs DS is such a argumental subject, always brings uproar in tech sites, but I say PSP, played em both and PSP seems to be getting with the times more.

Also, it seems the DS is made for kids, perfect example:

"New Super Mario Bros.
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse"

I guess I just like games that are fun but not ridiculously childish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mario kart DS online!!!!!! oooohhhheeeehh iwantiwantiwant
    \(^o^)/

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir

Also, it seems the DS is made for kids, perfect example:

"New Super Mario Bros.
    Sonic Rush
    Nintendogs
    Electroplankton
    Kirby Canvas Curse"

I guess I just like games that are fun but not ridiculously childish.
    I notice it's usually teenagers who worry about appearing "childish". My friends, who range from being in thier 20's to thier 50's, don't seem to share this concern for some reason... Anyway, I'm from the school of thought that training a dog or composing music is more conceptually mature than beating hookers to a bloody pulp and shooting things, but it's all a matter of perspective I suppose...

Last edited by StrangeAlchemist; September 20th, 2005 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If we imagine three stereotypical age groups like this:

A: 7 year old

B: 14 years old

C: 25 years old

Then it seems like kiddy games are for group A and C, and not for group B which is too concerned with being cool with the adult games. Group C of course plays both adult and kiddy games.

It's sort of like with animated movies which looks like they're for kids. There's a lot of group A jokes, but then there's also 'hidden' group C jokes, that group B is just too stupid to get, if they even dare to be uncool and go to the movie.

Maybe group B is somewhat neglected when it comes to kiddy games/movies? To appeal to group B you need to take out the finesse and go straight to the 'cool' stuff like:
    "Wow her boobs are showing!"
    "Cooool his head blew up lol! SPLAT! lol! Play it in slomo!"
    "Whoaa did you see that huge axe!"
    "Man that ninja jumped like 2 meters and did a totally awesome backflip"

Those ingredients doesn't work well with entertainment for group A (and C). You can however sneak in group C entertainment in group A products.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 20th, 2005 at 06:28 PM.
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ds get my vote, dont need to play a psp because it simply is just a playsation 2 atleast the ds ofers something different.

'I HAVE NOT FAILED.I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont got either of them. Does anyone know how Wifi is supposed to work on the psp and ds? I heard that you can only play other people in a certain zone. Sounds crappy. For me...i wanna save up money for nex gen.

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    by the way if any of you get this months game informer. they have an article on the ds vs psp. there realy isnt a clear winner yet. by the way loco roco looks kool. also katarmi democracy(sp) was just anounced always wanted to try that. Also Every Extend Extra(done by the same guy who did luminis), monster hunter portable(looks cool)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a DS but have many friends with PSPs. It's obvious where my money is, but the PSP have some good qualities none the less.

Both systems started off game wise rather shitty, but it's about to change on both sides. All the DS games coming out soon are going to fucking awesome, and I'm sure it's the same with the PSP (i've never really looked into it).

One thing I have noticed is that whenever old games are ported the DS comes out on top.

Compare Mario 64 DS to any PSP ported game. Mario had the full game, plus 30 new stars (meaning around seven or eight entirely new levels), about 30 minigames, the ability to play as Mario, Wario, Luigi, and Yoshi (they all play in unique ways), among other things. The PSP ports usually have to cut stuff out, and cut some of the animations and such forth because while the PSP is powerful it's basically a PS 1 1/2.

But if I could afford it, I'd buy one as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    locoroco yes
    DS:
    Trace Memory:
    http://media.ds.ign.com/media/707/70...g_2781737.html
    is apealing as well...cell shading
    Lost in Blue:
    http://media.ds.ign.com/media/695/69...g_2780070.html

Trace is more puzzle/action where Lost in blue should be nice in a portable format, I'm in the mood for a pesonal discovery=story telling hold me over till Wanda...
    Don't be to quick to knock Nintendogs...they're maintence

Last edited by staceydiana; September 24th, 2005 at 02:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ds hardware "package" to be shipped this holiday:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/652/652703p1.html

Last edited by staceydiana; September 24th, 2005 at 02:45 AM. Reason: link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I can applaud the PSP for, is that it had by far the most crisp image on emulation roms that I have seen so far. Of course, its probably attributed to teh fact that most roms ive played on a big PC screen, and they look all blurry, but the PSP had sharp, pixel perfect quality, and the colors were super vibrant. It was like component nintendo! Too bad they always kill emulation when they can. I wouldve bought a PSP now if it was easy to emulate with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ora> Flatscreen or CRT? Pixel gfx @ 2X or 3X on a CRT looks very crisp to me. 1X is of course more blury. Fullscreen 400*300 looks very nice I think, whilst I tend to get scanlines on 640*480.
    A flatscreen has different pixels, because of how the RGB colors are aligned: link.

The GBA SP is getting a new backlit screen btw. (same as Micro). I wish they did the micro with a NES joypad look. This whole spartan ipod design rampage is as annoying as the transparant casing spree a while back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that technically speaking the PSP more than holds it's own against the DS, Sony loves it's technological conversion. My problem with the PSP is the myriad of sequels and "handheld versions" of games paraded through the likes of Game and Gamestation, that the sales assistants attempt to pass of as some how innovative or original simply because they are on a handheld console... the thing is that the game buying public of today are more than happy to accept that and while I try never to judge a console on it's release titles (release titles being much like fireworks lots of bang, bit of a flash but ultimatly doesn't last that long) a lot of the MTV, no attention span, chewing gum generation will lap it up and sony will keep churning it out...

"That is so good it HAS to be fattening!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a PSP, but I can't deny that there are some nice games on the DS, and more are soon to come. I'd get one if I had the spare cash. I'm looking forward to quite a few PSP games in the future.

Ys
    Popolocrois
    Legend of Heroes
    Generations of Chaos*
    Guilty Gear Judgement*
    SFA3: Double Upper
    Loco Roco*
    Katamari*
    Worms*
    Lemmings
    Ghouls and Ghosts*
    Megaman 1 & X1 remakes
    Capcom Classics Collection
    Every Extend Extra*
    Tokobot
    Breath of Fire 3
    Twelve
    Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble
    FF7: Crisis Core
    Daxter(maybe)
    *= most excited about
    Sure, several of these are console retreads(Heck, I own BoF3, just never had time to beat it), but the portability factor and WiFi multiplayer aspect add value to the titles. And it's way more than I have so far.

Lumines
    Hotshots
    Gripshift

Castlevania may eventually force me to buy a DS, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeAlchemist
    I notice it's usually teenagers who worry about appearing "childish". My friends, who range from being in thier 20's to thier 50's, don't seem to share this concern for some reason... Anyway, I'm from the school of thought that training a dog or composing music is more conceptually mature than beating hookers to a bloody pulp and shooting things, but it's all a matter of perspective I suppose...
    Hehe, yeah, I mean, I find the kiddy games pretty fun, but there's lacking of games for a higher age range.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir
    Hehe, yeah, I mean, I find the kiddy games pretty fun, but there's lacking of games for a higher age range.
    Yeah, I have that problem with games in general. The vast majority seem to cover the range from happy, cute, and family friendly to violent, in your face, and catering to adolescent frustration. I don't personally find the latter any more involving than the former, just different. As it's applied to videogames, I think the term "mature" is a misnomer.

Consoles and handhelds have never really been home to particularly intellectual ideas. I've never played a game that I thought had truly original psychological, philosophical, or spiritual implications. At best they retread well worn themes and storylines in a fantasy setting. I have yet to see a game that I'd consider pure art for art's sake, as you get with almost any other artistic medium.

I think that too many resources are sunk into software for companies to be willing to accept the risk of going out on a limb and creating a really different, sophisticated game for a genuinely adult audience. There is greater comfortability in endlessly rearranging the same ideas that have already proven profitable with a with a fresh coat of paint.

Don't get me wrong, I like to play games for their clever mechanics. I enjoy puzzles, exploration, and twitch reflex... but in terms of narrative content even the most "mature" games out there are childish in the grand scheme of things. When people profess to tiring of the "kiddy" themes of cute bubbly games, I can't help but wonder how long it will take until the novelty of banal violence and tough, gritty, antiheroes will wear thin also.

I'll stop ranting now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think there's kiddy games and 'mature' games, but very few games that dare to go into really adult themes with moral dilemmas and... raw straighforwardness.

It also seems there's a trend right now to sacrifice everything for simplicity and accessability. I wouldn't mind if they had simplicity because it's functional and consistant, but... I think there's a lack of depth present in many games because of forced simplicity.

I remember (yeah I have to resort to nostalgia here) old games on the amiga that had tons of options and complexity. They would put most people off today because of the barrage of options available just at the boot screen. The graphics have of course become outdated/'bad', but if skinned with a more marketable GUI I'm sure they could appeal to a modern adult audience.

One of the most complex games with the worst graphics and interface might be NetHack (example), or some version of it. It uses an ascii display and a lot of keys control your character. I believe it also has perma death. Still, the underlying gameplay is so good that people actually bother with it. I haven't though, maybe because I've gotten spoiled with luxury GUIs with and my patience have diminished by age. There are a couple of revamped versions of nethack out though, so maybe I should give one of those a shot. They're skinnable too. Example of skin and notes on gameplay.

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; September 25th, 2005 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I tried NetHack after hearing it being called the best game ever made multiple times and I was completely lost. It felt like being thrown in front of Photoshop for the first time. I could see there was a lot of stuff I could do, but I'll be damned if I know how to do it or what it does. I played for about an hour and never really caught on to it and put it away. I might try it again sometime, but it really didn't appeal to me.

I think there are definitely ways to create a game with the depth of NetHack and make it accessible to play, but I don't see it coming out of the mainstream industry we've got now, at least not until dynamically generated content takes off.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, the Nethack sourcecode is out in many forms, I'm tempted to take a look at it now, but it's probably pretty complex. In any way, I'm thinking context menus would be an appropriate feature.

The DS would of course have some potential with maybe the touch screen for inventory and context menus and the other for map.

I'm sure there's a gamepark (GP*) version already.

The reason why they could give it such depth is because of the simple graphics. If they were to make a modern version they would have to do a lot of animations and visual representations of... stuff, as opposed to putting a 'd' on the screen and printing out "Your dog did an awesome trick" or whatever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PSP 100% !!!
    Sorry, but DS doesn't even come close.

darkcult

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well given the fact that I have never really played a DS for more than 5 minutes, my vote dosent really matter all that much. But I have played a PSP many times and can honestly say that they are super sweet. The graphics are near PS2 quality, while on the other hand the DS dosent pack much in the graphical area. Although it does seem to have some sweet games that I wouldnt mind checking out...actually im not even much of a handheld game fan but from what I know and if I had to choose, the PSP would take my vote.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.