Thanks

gladiators at ca?

May sound silly, and I got the feeling that I'm the only donky who doesn't get it, but what does this 'level x gladiator: piripiri' mean? Please help me out of my misery!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm confused too, i think it's just about your post counts
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    It might be about how long we've been members for?
    Have faith, these things should never be easy.

www.ianjlee.co.uk

New Artists Seeking Help Come Here - A mutual learning thread for learning the basics of drawing. Everyone's welcome.

The Sketchlings

Vigostar
    Bumskee
    Loomer
    Infinitum
    Sve
    Diego

Thanks
    Its posts i think. look at my level and join date...hehe im a nerd.

Thanks

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    It's definitely better than being named after body parts. Can you imagine how many of us would be "Assholes" or worse?

Thanks
    hmmm, sounds a bit childish to me, doesn't it? I had the impression that CA is more about quality than quantity... I think any kind of ranking (except for the bloodthirsty battles in the thunderdome of course) is a bit useless anyway... What do you think?
    whine whine whine...

Thanks
    Imagine what a sad world it would be if some of us weren't childish at least some of the time...

...and lets all discuss the fact that we're talkin' about bein' childish in a forum that endeavors to produce and support artists whose main effort at fame is hopefully producing the next great comic book, shoot-'em-up movie or video game aimed at 12-year-olds...
    Last edited by Ilaekae; September 19th, 2005 at 03:37 PM. Reason: additional thought

Thanks
    don't even think about it

ninjas will come to your house if you do!

Thanks
    ...point was made and recognized... :b

Thanks
    http://www.roman-empire.net/articles/article-013.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samnite
    http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/g...atorweapon.htm
    http://www.legionxxiv.org/gladiatorarena/

Level 1: Andabatae

"Blinded" wore helmets with no eye apertures, thus they fought "blind" which was especially exciting to the spectators.

Fought with visored helmet and possibly blindfolded and on horseback.

Level 2: Ordinarii

"Ordinary" were gladiators who fought in pairs or in the ordinary manner.

Gladiators usually fought in pairs (Ordinarii), that is, one gladiator against another...

Level 3: Catervarii

"Crowd" A term applied when the combatants fought in a melee as a group or mob, instead of in pairs.

However, sponsor or audience could request other combinations like several gladiators fighting together (Catervarii)

Level 4: Meridiani

"Median" were lightly armored fighters who fought in the middle of the day after the morning "Beastiary" engagements with wild animals had taken place.

Level 5: Myrmillo

"Fish Man" With just right arm protection and a non-visored helmet, these gladiators were relatively unprotected; but were still considered "heavy" fighters due to the large and heavy shield they carried. They fought with a gladius style sword. The term of Mirmillo/Murmillo or Fish Man may have come from the fact that they were generally paired with the "Retarius" or Net Fighter who would attempt to catch his Fish Man opponent in his net and then stab him with his trident spear.

Helmet with simple crest, sleeve on right arm, short shin guard on left leg, long rectangular shield, straight sword.

Level 6: Provocator

Substantially analogous categories, that were used against the retiarius. The armament is generally analogous to that of the myrmillo, except for the ovoidal helmet, devoid of crest, so that it could not get caught in the net.

Level 7: Samnite

"Samnium" One of the first types of Gladiator, they took their name from the Samnites, which were among the earliest enemies of the emerging Roman dominance of northern Italy. They generally utilized heavy armor with a visored helmet, large scutum shield, wrist guards and a greave "ocrea" on the lower left leg. Samnites fought with the Gladius sword giving rise to the general of term of "Gladiator" being applied to most of those who fought in the Arena.

Level 8 Thracian:

"Light and Fast" These fighters depended on being more lightly armored and therefore more agile and faster in evading their adversary. Thracians utilized an unusual "Sica" curved style sword and a small round "parma" shield, along with large greaves on both legs which extended above the knees. They had no chest armor; but did have full right arm protection and a crested helmet. Some of the helmet crests were shaped like a Griffin, alluding to a mythological bird of prey.

Helmet with decorated crest of a relief head of a gryphon; curved sword (sica); tall shin guard; manica (a type of mantel draped over his arm used against the opponent) on the right arm; small rectangular shield.

Level 9: Hoplomachi

"Heavy Armor" This style of fighter was very similar to the Samnite. They were more heavily armored with a fully protected right arm, large shield, more massive helmet and more leg protection. It appears that the Hoplomachus was a later style of the Samnite and they also fought with the gladius. During the Republic "heavy" fighters were termed Samnites and in the Empire Period they became known as Hoplomachus.

Fully armored, based on Greek hoplites. They wore a helmet with a stylized griffin on the crest, woollen leg wrappings, and shin-guards. They carried a gladius and a small, round shield, and were paired with mirmillones or Thraces. They apparently became Samnites later.

Level 10: Equites

"Equestrian" Those who fought "mounted", that is from horseback using various weapons.

Fought on horseback with a spear and gladius, dressed in a full tunic, with a manica.

Level 11 : Essedarii

"Chariot Warriors" Combatants who rode chariots during their engagements.

Level 12: Laqueatores

"Noose-Snare" A variation of the "Retiarius" who attempted to use a spear and noose or lasso to snare their opponants.

Level 13: Retiarius

"Net and Trident" These fighters used the strategy of attempting to snare and entangle their opponent in the net that he would cast like a fisherman; and then stab him with the three-pronged "trident" spear he carried. The net had weights attached to the edges to assist in making the net flare-out when thrown. The net also had a tether cord attached so the Retiarius could draw it back if it failed to snare his adversary. The Retiarius wore no helmet or body armor; other than some left arm protection and a "Galerus" or large flared shoulder piece.

Level 14: Dimacheri

"Two Handed" Gladiators who fought with two swords. This term can also be applied to those who fought from horseback.

I'm not sure how far this list goes on CA. I did see Spartakus on someone's tag once I think.
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Maybe they should set this up so the rank increases after every thread you start... You know, to REALLY support spammers.

(post made to gain more postagery)

(postagery now added to official dictionary of aesiry)

Thanks
    I notice some of the ranks are written in plural.