Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 9

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nice stuff from Thursday, specially the chick with the junk in her trunk! I dig your blocking-in of shapes. Sorry I couldn't make it, sounds like I missed out big time. Def see you on Sat though.

-Balaskas

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those Parsons girls were so cute. Thank God they never need to learn how to draw.

LIKE, OH MY GOSH!!!

"Morons have no enemies."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first of those (http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060316a.jpg) is really standing out from the rest, definitely my fav of the bunch. Good work!

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man - you got me all hot for these sessions. im desperately trying to find lifedrawing drinking dress-up parties here in tokyo. up till now i have only been able to find 50+ year old housewives getting together for $180/month. and that doesnt even include sake?

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiff - well, maybe if you would have come to paint with us you would have stopped me from usuing all them colors.

Irene - thanks for dropping by my little corner of CA. and speaking of CA - have fun wherever it is you're going for the CommArts thing.

Chris - we're hanging the show tomorrow. hope you can make it up.

Angel - you had to go scare them off before i got drunk enough to work up the nerve to say hello tho one of them

Deselect - everyone seems to like that one. well, to her credit, she did have one nice bootay.

tensai - i find it hard to believe that you can't find "drinking dress-up parties" in Tokyo. well if you can't find one start your own.

here are Tuesday's stuff. not to good that night. not enough alcohol in me (plus the damn Russian model got too drunk and giggly to hold a pose):

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOLOL!! "(plus the damn Russian model got too drunk and giggly to hold a pose)"

man those Russian people, geez! Vodka this, Vodka that, I mean really! life isn't all about Vodka!

I like the legs and boots,

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Arkady. You wrote to me that you are OK with hearing all kind of comments, even when they are about your mistakes and weak sides. That's my position too, it should be in civilised manner, of course. So if you don't mind I sit in your thread and think loud a bit, OK?

The last two posts. I see you experimenting a lot, especially with colors, combination of colors ann how to make the different technique make a right illusion, right texture.
    I think I know why people like the first painting, a girl with an umbrella. The composition is lovely, well balanced.
    Look, her legs make a beautiful triangle on the bottom of the page and it is like an arrow, leads eyes to the top of the page where her elbows, shoulder and umbrella make very nice zigzag silhouette. So the figure fills up the page very nicely. If you would've finished the top of the figure with full umbrella, it would be even better. The triangle on the bottom and slightly off center circle on the top, very interesting. Probably will look good even as an abstract painting
    The other reason is the colors are nice and not too spotty, make eye to recognise the image without getting frustrating with too much information. But the last three images in this update are a bit too chaotic, the information you gave your viewer feels a little random. I got an impression you were searching on the page. Still there are some very interesting things for me there. In the last page of this post fot example I like the economic way to paint the face, just few dots and spots and you got the expression very nicely and what even more interesting, her face looks very feminine and truthful, very cool. I love the S-like line her body makes, I think this painting has a very good composition too and placed on paper very nicely, but lacking in form a bit. Too many spots and not many big shapes to make it easy for eyes to take the information. I like how you did highlights, mid tones and shadows in the akvamarin colors a lot, it's very interesting, knowing that you probably changde the real colors a bit to make it work this way.

In the last update the painting of the girl's legs up in the air is great in all aspects. And the best of all it is so because of composition, the shape the figure makes with her torso on the bottom on the page and then across the page is gorgeous, very bold and exciting, very energetic. The colors, volume, the illusion of skin texture and leather of the boots are great. Everything is working, in my opinion in this one. And it has a bit humorous aspect too, tells about personality of the model a lot, so funny, makes me smile. Love the nice feeling in her feminine knees and hips, very gentle skin tone, very truthful, mild, soft. Combined with very bold attitude it creates an interest to this piece, at least from me. Thanks.

The last painting is very good in illusion of weight and flesh, more precise expression of her face would make it more interesting for viewer to look, in my opinion, some more expressive eyes, you know. Maybe some emotion in her mouth. I like the 2 and 4 pages too especially the color of her hair and purple shadows.

Like your oils very much, very good hint on the texture of material, bronze, very cool. The heaviness of it is very obvious to eye, I like it a lot,
    So thank you for the treat.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishCommy
    tensai - i find it hard to believe that you can't find "drinking dress-up parties" in Tokyo.
    that, of course, is no problem at all. tokyo is the world champion of getting drunk (NOT of drinking) and dressing up. but you read wrong - i was talking about lifedrawing

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiff - you know me and other russians don't mix well. that is unless your name is Sveta

Sveta - thanks for your mini novella. always great to read this. the weird colors were not made up, these models were painted in them wierd colors. but you're right about me "searching" main problem is that i'm not sure what i'm searching for. it's very counterproductive

Quote Originally Posted by tensai
    that, of course, is no problem at all. tokyo is the world champion of getting drunk (NOT of drinking) and dressing up. but you read wrong - i was talking about lifedrawing
    draw the ones that are passed out. they may not be naked but at least they're still. unless they are twitching and foaming at the mouth - then i'd run away.

here is some ref i stole from work (there's an illustration digesting around in my head right now):
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never would have guessed Egon Schiele was your favorite artist. I always thought it was this guy:

"AWESOME!"

So how many bottles of beer and years of kissing ass on Conceptart until you get that good?

"Morons have no enemies."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked Choke
    So how many bottles of beer and years of kissing ass on Conceptart until you get that good?
    as many as it takes.

I've only recently started looking at Reid's work after everyone started comparing me to him. I've known of him but never really paid much attention to him until now.
    I did order some Sargent watercolor books last night. I figure if i'm gonna learn how not to suck with this damn evil medium might as well learn from someone who is far more advanced than both myself or Reid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arkady, these watercolors are fucking stellar. I wish I had an SoI night man...

Dutton Guest
    Hey AC, in response, nope I'm not a NYC native, but I've visited a couple times and spent a bit of time in the Park. Not enough to call it my own, but enough to appreciate it and wish Golden Gate Park was as impressive (it is in its own way of course).
    Your watercolors are looking amazing as always. You actually inspired me to pick up my old watercolors and start messing around with them. Now that my eyes have gotten a little sharper I can really see how effectively you're getting these soft forms working wet into wet and harder edges with wet on dry. I'm surprised you're just now getting Sargent's watercolor books because that's who you remind me of most in terms of his looser watercolors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit, these are some the best watercolors I've seen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool stuff, I like your loose style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow fantastic watercolor stuff ! you give me new ideas in how to handle my own work, btw what do you use, paper wise watercolor paper, bristol , regular paper ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fucking awesome. i love that line.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As usual great watercolours. Also like the sculpture studies.

What I like about the figures is the fulness and capture of the pose, looks really nice!

Cheers and post more!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cody - you may have to petition to get a Chicago chapter going.

Dutton - it'd be awesome to see what you do with watercolors. really dig your traditional work.

Angel - I'm working on a mathematical equetion that will help you understand. see you tonight

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    holy shit, these are some the best watercolors I've seen.
    those aren't mine, they're Charles Reid's

Smitherines - thanks

Eva - howdy there fellow Manhattanite. I use Strathmore 140lb serries 300 coldpress watercolor paper.
    You should come sketch with us. We usually meet up on saturdays. today we're meeting up in SoBro at the IronWorks Gallery for our second show Opening. no sketching today, just lots of drinking.

Pat - i guess you're not coming up today are you? I hope you're still planning to come up for Art Out Loud 2. Cody will cry if you don't.

Edite - thank you, kind lady

some poopy watercolors from my sketchbook. warmups at the SoI:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff, man ! I love your pics ! Bravo.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very interesting, very very interesting.

On these ones looks like you are getting more abstract. The First one, the woman with the feather hat, I like that fact that there is no line, and it looks like you are paying attenton to the value. I think this is good, you can be stronger at that, especially organizeing your values so when someone looks at your watercolor, you are purposefully leading them to where you want to lead them, control.

I know you don't control most of the time you just do, but truthfully controlling yourself is the only way you will get better, in my opinion. I think there will always be happy mistakes on the other hand, so no worries, you will never lose that.

I also can see designing your figures better on the page. Most of the time when I look at your drawings I see a tangent here and a tagent there. Really, this is fine if you want that, but it has to fit the mood. And in most of your drawing it doesn't. That is another thing you can work on.

See you tonight!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, your watercolors are still looking freakin unbelievable. they are a little muddy in spots though but i'm thinkin you will work that out very soon. i'd like to also see you do some face studies in wotercolor, i think those would be very strong. you colors are great and your form is great. keep it up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude! I love your studies, that's really top class, I really enjoy looking at these water colour ones. I was telling scotty how much I admire your work, hehe, would love to trade some stuff if we get a chance. Anyways, awsome work keeeeeep going dude! cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Julian - thanks.

Tiff - you want to see abstract? here's one of you from the opening - GO DRUNKEN DRAWING!!!:

Thanks to you, Angel and Shiraj for kicking my ass about controling the end result and not relying on happy accidents. still have a ways to go.

mitch - one of these days i'll stop slacking and bust some portraits out.

Min - Scotty told me all about you wanting to trade. I hope he also told you that i want to trade with you as well. really dig your work too man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job man!you have nice sketch!I want see more

living like cartoon ,money like water!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, your water color skills are improving vastly, I'm really liking the way your pushing the values. I myself am doing some water color studies. I really like the medium a lot. Keep em coming, your watercolor work is great inspiration to me.

We can't stop, cause we won't stop. play on playa,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arkady! Youdda man! Those sketches are exquisite...love the loose, vibrant qualities you have going. Five years of that and you're gonna be unstoppable. Just keep on pounding them out. Nice to see your confidence spilling out on the page! This is what the process of painting is all about....and it's been neglected for so many generations. But you concept guys are saying, 'screw Art!...let's just paint like hell!!' Honestly, good work. Greg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    banhatin, Darktwin - thanks. here's more

Greg - thanks for stopping by here. Any advice you want to impart, i'm all ears. Good luck with all the deadlines.

here are the watercolors from this Tuesday. the "Half Tones" (all illustratosrs band with Barry Blitt and Joe Chiardello) kept us all jamming, and Irene gave me a sneak peek of the Jon Foster and Palencar mini for the mini show. Pure inspiration.

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

P.S. - happy 50th Birthday to my Mom. wish i could be home to celebrate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy B-day to your Momma man

I'm sick of saying nice things about these watercolors all the time. Damn - that first one is so killer. - there i go again. I wonder what would happen if you put a tone on some sheets of white watercolor before hand, and picked out some highlights with an opaque white gouache or something? I dunno - I'm just shooting ideas ...could be amazing or it could be a disaster.
    either way - you are king

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Birthday!! kewl.

oooo, damn those water colours looking more sweet each time I look. I love the first!!!!!!! heheh, keep going dude.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1