Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't say much about the rest of your stuff, but those watercolour ones are a whole level up. They look so much like figures flooded by light, makes me imagine those people on a lawn close by a river at a hot sunny day. Beatifull. Great linework too. Would love to see you do a composition with several people taken to a more finished step. (Watercolours of course )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet - thanks for the kind words

blacky - howdy comrade, thanks for the compliment. about the multiple figure composition - i'd like to see that too (and finished non-the-less)

so i was in ZombieMode from lack of sleep all day - but all that coffee i drank throughout the day didn't kick in until late at night when i should be sleeping. Here's the end result:

Did the ink sketch a few years ago after looking at pics from the Austin workshop:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Doodleing ideas at work, decided to use the asian chick (that was painted for a totally different purpose) for this idea.
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw an annoying hipster boyfriend for the asian ninja chick. i think it would be a good match.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NEW SoI STUFF!!!!!

actually had a good day yesterday:

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

first time i painted a black girl (eventhough she looks like a man in the last one). definatly have to work on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. Really nice watercolor pieces.

I especially like the dude on this piece http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...k/werkSK07.jpg

!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moysturfurmer - thanks dude, you just reminded me - did this a few nights ago but forgot to post:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I share the same feeling as the other commentors. I like your lines. How long are the poses for you are drawing from?? Your ability to draw a loose yet expressive lines of the female form really enhances your work. Also I like the watercolor. Do you ever draw at the spring studio in Soho?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incolorinred - thanks dude, the poses for the watercolors are 10 and 20 mins (some of the really bare ones are 5 mins)
    I draw at the Society of Illutrators, never been to Spring Studio. I may make it out there if this strike ends soon. SoI is closed until January 3rd. But i;m not promissing that i'll like it. I hear its stuffy and quiet. Totally not the atmosphere at the SoI. I love the live Jazz band and a fully stocked bar, the great artists on the wall and great artists all around you drawing and painting great models (none of that lod wrinkly shit for me). plus it's half the price of Spring Studio if you have a student ID. can't beat that.

So here are the paintings from the last SoI session for the year. It was really low key becasue of the MTA strike. very low turn out. two models, 1 male one female (first time ever painted a male in watercolors - hell of a lot easier than the women) the poses were freaking amazing. the watercolors are so-so:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for adding those little doodles from work
    Man..last bunch of watercolors are gems.
    I hope to get out with you guys soon
    Have a great holiday bro

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    PLEASE list all the materials you're using.
    This is inspiring stuff, man
    i think i listed them before but here they are in all their visual glory. hope this helps:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think ive never seen nude male/female poses before. looking good - you took some nice compositions of them.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    me likes. great updates. i'll be in new york in late january, i'll give you a ring when i'm around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your approach is so weird! I don't know of anybody else that has such a loose feel for drawing and keeps it all together. You know, I remember from your sketchbook it looked like you were getting frustrated and more frustrated, till finially you did a drawing in it like a 4 year old with the house and a tree(with a squirrel hole) and the sun in the corner. It looked like something you had to do to get it out of your system.
    Anyway, your stuff is always refreshing to look at, cause it does feel your enjoying what you paint. keep it up, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott - we all miss you buddy. If this prolonged absence percists we amy have to pay an surprize vesit to Long Island. (but only if Dylan poses for the rest of us as well as he poses for you. )

tensai - this dude shows up once every 6 months or so and he always gets the girls to pose in intricate poses with him. It was a ton of fun. The only time i've drawn male and females together before was in college, but it was a old hippie couple and the dude had a prince albert. it was hard to focus.

Pat - Awesome dude!!! we'll bust out a drunken sketch into the night thing again. can't wait.

Bowlin - thanks dude, i wish we could have hung out more in September. Not to sure what you're talking about with the "4 year old with the house and a tree(with a squirrel hole) and the sun in the corner". is this just a comparison or did i actually have this in my sketchbook. i'm confused.

That fat kid - thanks for coming back.

ok so really don't have anything new to post. just these things i've been playing around with. I'm a sucker for textures, and i stole these from EatPoo and i like waht's happening with them. The superimposed sketches are still a work in progress. I want to compile them together in a book and this is an experiment on waht it sould look like. still in its VERY early stages:

Shiraj already made a point that the color harmony in the watercolor one does not work. any opinion you guys have i'd like to hear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amish

Its nice to finally see a collection of your work.
    I was just wondering if you drink heavily while working on your watercolors?

Slen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I think of the latest post... great!! I only have some confusion about what exactly you did. You sketched/painted the figures from life and then superimposed them on a digital background? Cool, thats a good idea. My only nitpick regarding color is the nipple on the top picture. I think choosing red was a good idea, however it is too bright in my opinion. It distracts the eye slightly from all the really good stuff thats happening on her back. It's a small thing, just my opinion.

Also, you really have some good poses in here. I am going to have to check out SoI sometime soon. You mentioned that it is half price for a student with ID. What would that come out to? From what you described, jazz and the atmosphere, I am really interested now.

Take care.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by slen
    I was just wondering if you drink heavily while working on your watercolors?Slen
    why? does it show?
    i do drink at the Society of Illustrators when i do these, and i tell people that i need the booze to make me good (or to loosen up). But i've never been drunk while painting.
    P.S. i feel honored that your first post on CA was in my sketchbook. I popped your CA cherry.

incolorinred - i got some textured from a post on EatPoo, directed to by BlueFooted. some dude scanned some washes and smears on various papers. I basically jacked them and sized them to fit the page and played aroud with the layer modes. The sketches are some that i've done over the past year. I threw them on a multiply layer and fiddled around with saturations and levels.
    People have been telling me to compile my sketches in a book and i'm finally getting serious about it. I was looking at CafePress to print it. Kent Williams printed a book of sketches with them and i wanted to do the same. only problem is that they print on tan paper, so i played around with my sketches to see how they would look on that sort of background an jsut went overboard with it. I guess i'll have to get Kent's book (which is not such a bad thing - other than the fact that i'm broke from buying all them watercolors) to see if the print quality is up to standards i want it to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Super cool, your watercolors and figures are really great; getting really inspired here. Crazy time frame, sounds like an awesome experience!

Digitals are cool too but it's missing some of the sharpness and stroke economy that's making these watercolors so great to look at!

Gunna stay tuned!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the watercolor studies are really good man. i'm gonna start dropping by here more often. wicked name by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm.... well gee, I'm pretty sure it was your sketchbook... There were a couple of pages where you could tell you were frustrated, makin all kinds of crazy marks, and drawing something and then just marking it out. Just frustrated as hell! Then the next page ya just drew a house and with a little tree and the sun in the corner ... kinda like http://www.cwaany.org/images/kidDrawingSmall.gif

Sorry if i'm wrong, somebody there had one like that. I always go through a phase where I'm startin alllll over, back to the basics.... so i tried so hard not to laugh out loud when I saw that pic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hi again and i just needed to say thanks for the inspiration !

very nice and fluid style !

cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy, mitch, hurricane - thanks for dropping by and for the kind words. Happy to be an inspiration.

Bowlin - dammit, now you've got me scowering my sketchbooks to figure out what you're talking about.

so there was on Jazz session at the Society of Illustrators this week so I figured i'd give Spring Street Studio a try. what a fucking rat hole. I'm never going back there again. The only thing htey had better than the society is more dramatic lighting. Its a smelly old basement where everyone has a stick up their ass and you're not alowed to talk during the poses. In fact, no one interacts with each other. even the regulars. plus there is NO live band, NO alcohol, and NO HOT CHICKS!!!! they are so FIRED!!!!

here is the end result from there:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

the last 5 are from a long pose - lasted about 80-90 mins in 20 mins intervals. i loose my attention after 30 mins or so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your life drawings a lot, man, and i can totally understand where youre coming from by saying that those peeps have a stick shoved up their asses. i know this from some life drawing classes that i went to before - i guess in your last update i like the one of the man sitting (first in the 3rd row) the most. sometimes though i think you could try to work with more subtle tones because youve got many hard edges in those studies, which hinders the color to be part of the drawing but becomes a form of itself. hope you dont mind the crit. peace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, these are seriously inspiring. I'm loving your watercolors, and your digi works....

I need to get to the art store and get wet media paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You´re a master with water color, sir! So loose and just... awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyyy!

sorry about your bad experience at spring studio. It is very quite and dull. It's kind of a doubled edged sword, sometimes i feel like it really helps for focus, but others its freakin boring as hell. SoI definately sounds like a ton of fun.

The new watercolor post is good as usual. I must comment that your handling of the hands are excellent. Hands can be difficult to draw with pencil, let alone with watercolor!! nice.
    The book idea sounds good. You seem to have plenty of material for it if this thread is any indication. I think the previous post with tan background with the washes on it worked alright with the watercolor drawings. It would be interesting to see if you got your book made with tan paper. It kinda gives it a worn classic kind of feel. I guess it just depends if you find it works with the colors and pencil that you have used in your work. Keep us posted on what happens with the book.
    Always enjoying your work.
    take care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pierre - thanks dude, about subtelty, do you mean a better gradation between the white of the paper and the color? the only problem with that is theres not a lot of time in a 20 minute pose to worry about subtelty. i'll have to try it on a personal piece.

glikster - gratzie

Flaskpost - master? i'm a long ways from that. Watercolor is just very forgiving with the happy accidents and all.

incolorinred - you know, then you have a ton of time to kill on the longposes, you're forced to focus on things that you normally try to avoid. stupid hands.

That fat kid - its all accidents. no control involved. JFK? which one?

just another poopy sketch from work for today:

gonna digi that shit up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice control of the water colour. Your concept work and figure drawings/painting come across as very strong. My life-drawing tutor wanted me to use colour, but I wasn't brave enough, haha. You may have already said this some where, but how long do you spend on each pose, in average? Your SB is really inspiring stuff.

If you always get up late, you'll never be on time --Broken Social Scene

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! dude you have got a lot of new work up. I really! like the ones you are going to make into a book, soo cool. and I like the color on the first one, I think there is enough purple/more pink in the background to unite. Plus you have that Greenish yellow that compliments it, and it is very saturated so you look at her for sure, I like it, sorry shiraj, haha! get more opinion though. I might just be seduced by it,

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1