Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 19
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sister has you watercolors abover her bed, well it looks like they could be yours.
    These are great Arkady. the watercolor drawings right under
    Haven Arts - Figure Drawing - 12.14.06 of the man are great! Really expressive and solid with the figure. what are you going to be doing for Spectrum submission? You are really poetic with your watercolors, I can imagine your illustrations looking that way also.
    I will be Pming you soon about the Painting weekend, so keep your panties on tight, weez gonna be a paintin till the wee hours of the morn,
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great. Such confident contours. I've been thinking about how you could advance with this (I don't mean to seem condescending at all). I know how difficult it is to tighten up, but you may want to so that you don't lose nuance (when you return to the expressivism). You might rather localize your studies. Do a hand or a knee instead of the full figure in the allotted time. When you return to figure the whole could be much subtler. I think the issue is contracting and expanding your field of "seeing". Wonder work.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for not having something worthwhile to update with. It's been a crazy month of January for me. I moved to Queens over the weekend and my month was preoccupied with looking for new apartments/roommates and packing. LOTS of packing. Packing at work and at home.
    I tried to finish something in time for the Spectrum deadline but just ended up submitting my unfinished LMS2 pieces.
    I was supposed to have a show up in the Bronx at Haven Arts, but, in what is beginning to be a terrible pattern, the gallery closed down a week before the show opening.
    I've had some boring freelance to do but it's been going really slow and i've missed the deadline a few times. Totally screwed my New Year's resolution to be more professional.
    And i haven't gone out to Jeff Fisher's to get my ass kicked at all in January and it' beginning to show.

But all in all things are looking up. I got to spend a GREAT weekend up at Tiff's house with Dave Palumbo, Scott Altmann, Ben Foster, Cameron Snow, and Dan Dos Santos. Now that i've moved i actually have some cash in my pocket and room to spread out and get some work done. I'm going home in a few weeks to see the family. The New York ComicCon is coming up.
    And best of all, Irene Gallo asked me to take over Greg Manchess' role in helping her organize the next Spectrum Show at the SoI in 2009. I'm so pumped for that.

So here are some bullshit sketches i sneak in at work when it's slow. I like some of them enough to develop them further.

Some more work on the "This Gentle Heart" piece (i've been fucking with it since July):

and detail:

and some sketch book pages i just happen to have scanned in at work (with a caricature of Tiff):

TroyWilkerson - yup it was the Alibi, don't remember the smell though. Jeff and the Highschool kids are great motivation. Jeff came out to draw at the SoI a few weeks ago and was kicking my ass there too.

Tiff - thanks again for being a great host and for getting my ass drunk. It's too bad you couldn't make it down for the opening on Tuesday. I told Frank you said hello. oh and tell your sister to get the real Roytman not some cheep imitation. I'll hook her up with a deal.

Listing
    - in the more recent stuff i've been forcing myself to focus less on the face and more on the hands and the rest of the figure. I love painting/drawing faces but i've been avoiding them so not to get too lost in one spot.

I photographed the new watercolors before i moved and as soon as i have a few extra minutes i'll throw them up online.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arkady--

You need to take some ritalin to control your aristic ADD and finish some of these bad boys (though who am I to talk?) There's so many little nuggets of goodness in here. "This Gentle Heart" is really coming together. I also like the other piece that you posted the close up of (the angel/demon pic). But then the girl with the heart on her plate and the skull-head are also both lovely... So yeah. In true Mortal Kombat style: FINISH HIM!! (or her, in this case)

Can't wait to hang with you again soon (Hopefully Lunacon, if not before!)
    -Dover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a mad SB ! that piece "This Gentle Heart" is really a nice one, it will be finished ? and i love those ballpen ones , really expressive keep coming

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All moved in? coolio, now start painting

p.s. my email is Snowsfall@gmail.com
    send me an invite to the cellar, you know you want to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ben - focus has been a HUGE problem. There are so many distractions in this damn City. one of these days i'm gonna have some sort of mental breakdown and get obsessive and maybe finish something.

Call0ps - the plan is to finish it for Expose, but plans never really come to fruition with me.

Cam - all moved in, yeah, but a long way from being settled in.

so anyways, one of the bajilion things on my plate that will probably never get done is a project i'm working on with some SoI friends. This is the brainchild of Matt Black, Director extrodinare and the Barkeep at the SoI. Myself and 4 other artists are going to do a 4'x5' painting each and Matt is going to direct 10 actors/actresses to perform skits in complement to our paintings. It has a very good chance of being incredibly stupid and cheesy, but hopefully it won't. The auditions for Actors/Actresses is this Sunday. and Matt is already talking to a Gallery who is interested in the project. Here are my initial sketches for the project:

and another random doodle:

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool digi update man.
    I hope the project goes well. hmmm.eager to see how these sketches turn ut in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Arkady, I'm glad you had fun at my house. It was really cool to hang with you all, we hadn't seen each other in a while. I didn't know I got you drunk, with your demanding of me making you a drink because you refused to yourself, I thought you let yourself starve from drinking, haha!
    Your Gentle heart is very nice, it is coming along needs more work. I would say lighten up her shadow part of the face so you can see the feature, and give some Rim light to her head, shoulder and arms, just fleshing things out more.
    The Skull Jesus woman has a great Value composition I would say do that one also, I like it.
    and the most recent Sketched I love the first one but I say put it in the fourth composition. Get it goin Arkinod!!

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, then we will see it finish those updates looks nice 5th my fav. well just keep the good job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, this new project sounds nuts! Are you involved in the "skit" part of it at all? I think that first sketch has a lot of potential to it, very cool shapes goin on in there.
    The Gentle Heart piece is definitely rockin, the bird absolutely kills. Give yourself deadlines for getting these suckers done, they're too good to just sit around.
    And of course the figure drawings are all the mack. Too many favorites to list.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu - the project is chugging along. see the rest of post.

Tiff - you know it's always a good time hanging out with you and the rest of out VERY talented gang. Thanks for the advice. All taken into consideration.

Call0ps - i suck at deadlines. I hope to finish all these sometime in 2007

Andy - see above for deadlines. I do want some say in the skit but the only thing i'm really involved in is the picture-making part.

so another mini update (I promise, the watercolors are coming real soon):

Went down to FL for the weekend and did some more work on the "skit" project (in my moleskine) while stuck in the plane on the runway waiting to take off during a hail storm, weeeeee!!!!

While I was in FL, Matt found me my models/actors. The girl I know, and her face will be perfect. After the NYC ComicCon this upcoming weekend, i'll get in touch with the models and get this baby rolling.

and another sketch from the moleskine (with PS color doodle):

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    waiaya , yummy sketches, havent seen much of your moleskine, please post more.
    I am stoked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn Arkady! this is going to be epic. and fer crisssakes finish something already!!! when you do it is always jaw dropping. for the love of god!

I will see ya at the NYC con.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kickass pencil works .... as usual really loved the first page, the right side, the girl face, is really nice. keep the good job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bhanu - i usually have a small Moleskine with me at all times in which i sketch people on the train or in the park or where ever. This last few sketches are in a larger sketchbook which i started using as a place to work out ideas and compositions. I usually have a huge sketchbook as well but i don't have the time to scan all of them in. The Small ones i scan all at once when they are finished. I'm about half-way through Moleskine #3.

Rich - good to see Gabby and yourself. Hope you guys can make it out on Thursday.

Call0ps - thankee

here are the watercolors from February that i've had ready for the past few days. I lost track of the dates for the ones in January so i'll post them all jumbled in one post sometime later in the week.

SoI 02.06.07:

SoI 02.13.07

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautifull water colours, admire how u are fearess about it and how confortable u r, i see freedom in those man keep it up, keep free

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New Watercolors!!!! I love the first four and the last one.... awesome!

"absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and keep what is essentially your own." - Bruce Lee

Bojee's Monkey Brain
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=29869&page=54

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh shit,ohh shit....awesome your drawings and watercolors....really like your sb.just keep posting more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see you expand from these gestural watercolors (certainly my taste, but you have to make them more subtle, inform the boldness with more careful watercolor study - still life washes and all that). I'm in a similar way, with watercolor especially. Make yourself uncomfortable. You know they're beautiful, make them brilliant.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Arkady.. Watercolors are looking dapper amigo... Hey, Im looking to move out in June and Im trying to collect artwork from some of the CAers and would love to have something from you.. Would you be interested in parting with this?? I could give you some bones for it depending on how much you ask.. If now then maybe another sketch something not larger the 11 x 14... Let, me know.. It would be awesome dude.. and BTW.. i still have your book... We should meet of lunch

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo man!

How's it going? Is the new place working our for ya?
    Are you still in contact with Arkady btw?

Lovely colors on the model sketches.
    And that little sketch you colored in PS in post 563 has great potential!
    Would love to see that on canvas

Keep it up
    Tom

www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a little quicky sketch that took me a month to do. Actual working time was about an hour in two half-hour bursts before bedtime. Conte and Guache.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry all for being M.I.A. i am WAY behind on photographing the watercolors but i'll get to them eventually. I finally got that bed i was talking about last year in the lounge. it's a crime to leave it every morning to go to work.

Call0ps - the secret is that i usually damn well inebriated when doing them so a) i don't care if i fuck up and b) i can't tell if i fucked up. Ahhh Freedom

Bojee, JoeEffect - thankee

Listing - more recently i've been slowing myself down and observing more. Slowly trying to expand to new colors (which is not working) and kill all that white space. It's also been 3 months since i've been out to Long Island where Jeff Fisher makes me step out of myself in the span of 10 minutes.

Rob - you still staying in the city? I'll trade you a piece for that sketch you did at the SoI that i really like.

Tom - I haven't talked to the other Arkady since i moved out. He's somewhere in Argentina right now. And you know me, I suck at correspondence. The new place is not without it's own problems, but i have enough space to work now and, in theory, you should see more work from me in the coming months.

and speaking of more work, a few of us CA'ers got together and started peer art direction, based on what Jason Chan and Robin Chyo have been doing for a while. Basically someone gives you an assignment much like in the real world with a deadline and all. Fedezz got the ball rolling with a short brief, a template and a deadline for sketches and a final. I'm treating it somewhat like a real job, except i'm putting a lot more effort into it than i ever have before. Time to get my ass in gear.

my first sketches when i was still digging around for an idea:

and some fleshing out of the composition:

The detailed sketch:

And some revisions after everyone gang-crit-ed me:

It's pretty much ready to go. I'm gonna paste it to the board tonight and hopefully get some painting done on it. I'm going away this weekend but next week i'll be gunning it to get this puppy done for the March 24th deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked stuff man, i love your lines , so loose but accurate. Cant wait to see the final cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Hey i like this thread a lot, Im specting the finish of this last picˇ.

Sorry for my poor english

sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finish it man! You can do eet!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for your secret draw witouh fear, like it! and damn its working. the cover is looking real nice, try to finish it plz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really love how you can capture so much expression so freely, and with so few strokes. I agree with Tiff - the sketches of the guy are fabulous; really energetic and 'real', as though he's physically there.

Cool to see some digis too - never seen any digital work from you before The gouache and conte painting it looking lovely btw. Will you be finishing it?

~~Naomi

Website | Blog | Sketchbook

UK Sketch Group (FaceBook) - Check here for details on upcoming meets!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work, just absolutely fantastic and breathtaking! Love all the contrast and emotion in each piece!

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1