Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 13
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It saddens me when good artist call their work poo. ;-) I like that picture of the man and woman kissing. It has a lot of passion and it's really interesting. Keep it up.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that piece is fucking rad. i loved sitting and watching you paint at con man, i think that was one of the most inspiring things that has happened in a while, that whole day was great. i want to find a portable little watercolor kit, i just got a zoo pass so i can go and draw every weekend, so that would be perfect.

thanks again for forcing me to show my stuff that night, those crits and lessons he gave helped me out so much.

and again, i love the passion that is in that painting, i envy your talents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lloorrdd - thanks

Orahlith - it's funny what people tend to like. I showed that piece to a bunch of art directors at the ComicCon. I put it in the back of my portfolio becasue i hated the piece, but all of them told me to put it in the front becasue it was my best piece. I'm still standing my ground about it being poo. i overworked it so much that it lost all the life it once had.

Gavin - i'm glad you showed your stuff to Ellis, he gives incredible crits. I wish he was more active here on the boards. Get cracking on them animals in the zoo - i want to visit that zoo vicariously through you. don't let me down

ok so i was out in San Diego last week and despite some minor setbacks i had a great time and came away with a wealth of knowledge, and a ton of moleskine sketches:

watercolors coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are all the random people you drew....?
    woah...

Last edited by White Rose; July 30th, 2006 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Boeing is great. Good work, Amish.

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    White Rose - It starts here with sketches from the airport on the way there, and ends with this one.

Deselect - it was going very well and then they moved the gate i was flying out from. bastards.

here are the SoI watercolors from July.

This first batch i did on no sleep right before i had to catch the plane to San Diego:

and this batch i did the Tuesday i got back (no sleep at the con, all night flight, full day of work - and they didn't turn out as bad as i expected)

SoI is closed for August. POO!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful set of pictures you posted lately. Gorgeous ! I like your sketches a lot. Bravo.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Arkady. It a bit irritates me that your book doesn't have 5 stars, makes me think people have thicker nerves than they should. Don't they feel irresistible loveliness in this book? how could this be. It's sad.

Every post of yours have so many feelings. I have no idea how people don't fall finally under your charm. And no. I'm not trying to make you like me saying those sweet words. I'm really frustrated. But not much. I know it is close to useless.

I wanted to comment on you TD entry long time ago but didn't do it on time. So better late than never.

I loved it from the first sight. Separated it from the others right away, because of the uniqueness of the theme, talking colors and passion all over the picture.
    I knew it will be not many words said to you about your wonderful entry, because it is so out of usually offered interpretations.

Your entry is really something, makes me think about how crazy our world is, how messed up our priorities, how distanced we are because of the phony imagined boundaries.
    But here is the crucial moment coming, everything is going to its fast end and those two people trying to catch what they were lacking in normal circumstances, what they were putting aside for some reason. and only now they finally have no other barriers and distractions.
    And it is sad, and tragic and sweet and it is a bit painful.

I went to look at your painting more and started to read the poetry which inspired you. Beautiful poetry. "I said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
    these are truly the last days".
    It is funny and bittersweet to me how art can give the message without words. Makes me think we are half angels. Lost, confused, messed up half angels. We have everything to make ourselves happy and we are still very far from this. Like a beautiful essence in all of us, our light brilliant angel is clouded, hidden, barricaded with some ridiculous things.
    It is like we wake up one day, great day and feeling of happiness is growing with every minute and we make a decision to make the day even more brighter. So we go to some big crowded place full of things and people. And somehow our light feeling is getting smaller and smaller and it is dead. Vanity ate it. And maybe we should have attempted something very simple to at least keep this delightful morning sensation.

So your piece made me think about human vanity and wrong priorities so to speak.
    Ohhh, I really think art is more honest than words. Picture is more sincere than text.

I like all stages of your painting. even pen doodles.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...R1-thumb04.jpg Ahhh, you caught it. Self-forgetting kiss, people who are about to disappear.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...R1-thumb05.jpg Like it already like this.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...r03-prog03.jpg I kind of sorry that you changed the lightness and elegance of woman leg and foot a bit later. made it more heavier, add weight. It was so lovely, fine, airy, light. I like it more this way. The same I think about her slipper. It was lovelier on this stage.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...-R1-prog02.jpg This stage is beautiful, great art on its own. The rough dried up paint makes it so vivid, adds motion. the picture is really breathing on its own, really beautiful. So passionate it is painful to look at it.

I like the little piece on fire falling above the lovers no less than the change you made later, it adds so much to desperate feeling. Everything goes down to hell, like in the soul of the main character.

A bit funny to see that in this horrid moment those two people lose the feelings, don't tract anything around them. just feeling the closeness of each other.

I like all the studies of the city skyscrapers.
    Although I like your picture totally, I do think it would be great if you added this sight.
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...ddysRoof02.jpg

Beautiful image, i do think one of the best, because it is so powerful and demanding. It is very strong in keeping viewer to look and look and look. Passion is overwhelming.

I looked with interest at your sketches, my favorite are where you use the less lines, where you are laconic. so here:

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine028.jpg Guy with a stretched hand on the bottom of the page

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine029.jpg guy with tattoo

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine027.jpg darker head on the top

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine018.jpg girl's figure

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine015.jpg both portraits

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...leskine013.jpg windy day and untidy trees. lovely

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the batch from tuesday after you got back is on another level man. even if the bodies and faces seem a bit different in style. love the perspective on the top right one and the colours/lighting in all of these.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing as always

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Juilen - thanks bud

Sveta - the way you put it, it even get ME exited about the work. I plan on putting these watercolors together in a book soon. You want to write the introduction? I'm not joking here - dead serious.

tensai - i got to hang out with tallented artists all weekend in San Diego and pick their brains for nuggets of knowledge. must have reatined something

s.s.nails - thankee

ok so i've been taking this "on location in NYC" class with Jeff Fisher (the Drawing Studio) and he's really been kicking my ass. i blame my recent improvements on him. here's a small sellection of things i've done in the last two months:

some of the things in the Moleskine from the previous post were done while on location with Jeff. I'll get the rest scanned/photographed in the near future and post them up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too shabby for a Russian. Haven't really seen much of your environments man, they're getting pretty damn tight. I blame your recent improvements on my influence, however. Who knows where you would be artistically if I hadn't paid a visit to your home and left my homoerotic muse dust all over your pillows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course, dear, if you think I'm good enough, might be fun . Wonderful paintings in this update, I love these sea sights. I will wirite tomorrow, OK?. I think I swam too much today .
    Sweet dreams.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the environements pieces are superb ! I like the boat the most but ... Wow, man ! Such great energy in your art.
    Keep posting, I dig your stuff.
    julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice paintings you've got here.
    Really dig that boat piece from the last update, the street scenes above are very good too.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN!!! beautiful....

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those water color streets are fab arkady..

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, It's me again, just wanted to talk more about recent update.
    What I apreciate the most in these watercolors and in you art in general it is taste of life or juice of life or demanding nature of life for that matter.
    It's noisy, with bright colors, fast, brilliant, seducing, ever changing, sometimes overwhelming, but always capable to make one resonate, capable to find ways to his nerves and heart, how hard he wouldn't be hiding from this, it is still inevitable.
    Your paintings make me feel energetic. I like you talent to notice beauty and interest in everything. I think, it restores and fills you with energy in such way I don't think you need any energy from outside, other people's energy, I think it makes you quite independent and free in this. This talent to find great things around you. to restore yourself from seeing beauty in nature, shapes, light, shadows and colors. I wonder if this talent can keep person stay young for the whole his life.

That's what I feel looking at your art, Arkady. I wonder how far off I am. I am probably off. Artists are very often very needy and insecured. Requirements of sensitive nature.
    So in you last images I love this feeling of celebrating life, colors are fearless and straightforward. Lines make crazy rhythm, make the painting alive and rich in nuances, make eyes run in all directions in the same time, trying to notice everything at once. I'm a bit like you, I'm greedy to take in everything.
    No serious crits, everything looks crazy, but that''s the attraction. I think the dark shadow on the boat looks strange, mind trying to recognise this shape, what creates it, but can't. it is a little disturbing. But it is watercolors, the most whimsical medium of all in my opinion. It's hard to make them handful, especially the wet way to paint with them. There is always element of surprise for the artist himself in results, I think. That''s why I don't even try.

Last edited by sve; August 11th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Arkady, really nice updates. It awesome to see your progress with the TD peice, you really went to town, and it was worth it, seriously it came out great! really passionate.
    Your environments are really cool too, I especially like the boat. sooo what are you going to do for the next TD? can't wait to see what you come up with.
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DUDE! the watercolor stuff looks fantastic! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its been a little bit since I was last in this sb, your watercolors are definitly progressing, the environments are really coming together nicely man. I'm really digging everything in your last update. Wow, thanks for the inspiration man!!, Way to feed the hungry, seriously.

Last edited by Darktwin; August 11th, 2006 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cody - so that's waht all that stuff is. How the hell do you get rid of it? I think it's growing eyes.

Sveta - you're able to put into words what i only able to convey in stuupid pictures
    "I like you talent to notice beauty and interest in everything." - I tend to focus on things that i like and things that can hold my attention. i get bored fairly easily and usually move on when i feel something is not working. Usually i don't even waste time and energy trying to salvage a bad drawing. Sometimes it's better to just move on. But i do try to enjoy every second of every moment.
    "...I don't think you need any energy from outside, other people's energy,..." - sometimes yes and sometimes no. i generaly enjoy being in the company of friends and family. And being able to do what you love in the company of the people you love is an added bonus.
    "...make eyes run in all directions in the same time, trying to notice everything at once. I'm a bit like you, I'm greedy to take in everything." - that's why all my stuff is so eratic. I try to speedily catch everything and end up making a big mess most of the time. it amazes me every time when a painting tends to work as a whole.

Julien, voraz - the boat ha? I felt like that was the most abstract of the three. figured people would have a hard time with that one.

glikster - thankee

Rob - thanks dude. i really dig the experiments you're doing.

Tiff - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIRL!!!! here some nekkid chicks as a present to ya. I'm really stoked about my LMS2 Round 2 idea. I may even have it finished next time you see me.

rblitz7 - thanks

Darktwin - my pleasure man.

ok so since the SoI sessions are over for the next month+ i've been making the trip to the Bronx to Haven Arts. They run a free life drawing session every Thursday from 6-9. It's a lot different than the SoI but a hell of a lot better than Spring Street Studio. Plus there's a free bottle of wine and no one really drinks so i get a good amount of it to loosen me up

Here are the watercolors from the last two weeks:
    08.03.06:

08.10.06:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I couldn't resist... The only thing that I really had any issue with in your t-dome were those legs... I messed with a few other things as well, but I tried to make the legs, if any less natural, at least so they would look better... y'know??

Hope you're doing okay Arkady! You are 'relaxing' and still doing more drawing than I!!! D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really nice stuff here...I love the watercolor life drawings and seeing your thought process when workign on your peice is pretty insightful as well. Keep going...!!!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is some amazing stuff in here, its pretty late so im gonna check back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work, especially the watercolors. Great improvement on them.

Sketchbook

Don't miss the rise

This is actually Wolverine's sketchbook

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, i was LOVING- http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...2-R1-ver02.jpg - this, the paint work looks beautiful...
    great stuff anywhoz!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goddamn Arkady, each and every update blows me away! Watercolours have gotten even stronger, great values developing alongside what was already beautiful colour. GOnna have to stop and reevaluate my own watercolours, gotta stop overworking and take a more minimal approach.
    these two are quite inspiring. Thanks!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM..._R1_M77_TD.jpg

This is getting better every time I look at it, it manages to convey both passion and sadness at the same time. The contrast between the red and the yellow only reinforces this feeling, and it still looks so harmonious as a whole.
    Well maybe I'm reading too much in all of this but regardless, it remains a very nice piece of art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Out of all the attempts at that man/woman kissing I think I like this one the most

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/LM...2-R1-ver02.jpg

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1