Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man. im left all dry - hook us up.

edit - shit forgot the reason i posted was this
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69412

or more specifically, these:
    http://wendyartin.com/pages/nudes/nudes.htm

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry guys about the lack of updates. I've been dealing with some personal poo. and to add to that I've had no internet at home for over a week now, and it will be another week until i update with new art. and when I do i'll get to everyone's comments.

i'm kinda sneaking this in at work.

but on the plus side, not having internet or cable gave me some time to work on my website. it's up, it's new, it doesn't take forever to load. WEEEEE!!!!

check it out:
    www.arkadyroytman.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow lotta stuff on here since the last time I checked! likin the landscapes a lot - also some really nice warmup sketches at SoI

I'll second what Tiff said tho - let's see a finished piece. If I get the grant I'll pay you for an optimum consumption pinup, so keep that in mind...

Also, you have so many of these damn watercolor bitches, we could do an Ironworks show of just them - let's talk about that more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was getting ready to photograph more watercolors when my camera ran out of juice. poo. maybe tomorrow. I have a bunch. a few oils as well.

as far as finished work - Thunderdome 2. I may do two peices becasue i can't decide on a composition i like.

So i take it Zak has not replied about the show. you know me, i'm always down to fly solo. will look good on the resume. If we push it back to August we can throw a huge sweltering hot birthday bash for Tiff, Shiraj and myself.

sorry no art this time. My BLOG is almost ready though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My favorites are when you use your Black watercolor, or colors mixed to create black. I love the way it looks on the paper, so nice. Sooo. when are you going to put up studies for WIP illustrations?
    I want to see your progress with yout TD too, so send it my way if you don't mind showing.
    See you Sun.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin - good to finally meet you in person, even if it was just briefly. too bad you could not come to the SoI that night it was a really good one.

Bjorn - right back at ya. Every time you post its a treat for the eyes.

Irene - thanks for stopping by.

Noah - Thanks buddy. hows DC treating ya? Hows the new Jobby Job?

Nik - the poses are all 10 and 20 minutes. there are a few 5 minute ones in there as well. Propotions, along with value are still the toughest for me. still have a lot to work on in those two areas. the vivid blue is Cerulan. but i usualy mix it with Sepia to get my blacks. sometimes (most of the time) the Blue overpowers the Brown.

glikster - "idols"??? i won't believe that until i see some sacrificial virgins

Eli - tovarisch, you gotta come to the SoI sessions and watercolor along with me.

Scott - "Harsh"???? are you even capable of that? i'll take whatever you're willing to dish out. i tend to like the crits more than the compliments.

tensai - thanks for those links. this was just what i needed to transition in my work. I've been trying to combine her meathods slowly with my own

Nate - thanks for stopping by. keep kicking my ass and maybe i'll finish something.

Tiff - as soon as i finish something i'll put up the prelims for it.

so anyways - small update for now. watercolors from Last Tueday. I have a bunch more i need to edit and put up. about 3 weeks worth. i'll get to them this weekend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow I like your watercolors.. nice!

Dutton Guest
    As always, I'm enamored with your watercolor figures. If you don't mind, maybe even through a PM, I'm curious as to what these go for in the gallery.
    By the way, I'm also curious as to what you thought about that pochade box and if you've decided to invest in one.

Last edited by Dutton; June 23rd, 2006 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PeterLee - thanks.

Dutton - thanks dude. and thanks for the info on the pochade box. I'm still thinking about it. My watercolor "operation" if fairly portable as it is. But i was considering a way to make oils more portable than they are. I get an hour for lunch and on non-summer days i go to Central Park to paint and sketch. and would love to figure out a way to do simple 30 minute oil studies with maximum ortability.
    As far as what I charge, the last piece at the Ironworks Gallery had a $250.00 price tag on it. but that is also becasue they were not charging commisision. otherwise it would be $500.00. As far as what they go for, your guess is as good as mine, since i haven't sold any as of yet.
    I don't know how it is on the West coast, but there is a very little market for nudes on the east. Rich old housewives don't want that over their couch

so here is my DISASTEROUS oil from last weekend. there are some parts i like, but i think they are just happy accidents. my mind was elsewhere when i was working on this:

and a detail of the poo:

watercolors coming tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm startin' to see you really pull the forms out of the faces- they are comin real nice now man- keep it up! Though I must admit I WOULD like to see some pencils from you once in a bit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fucking awesome figures. loving the watercolores

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Justin - pencis? what's that?

Pat - thanks buddy. you gonna come to San Diego?

UPDATE!!!!! here are the rest of the watercolors from last month at the SoI. Had a shitty month, not too happy with most of them.

Started with this stupid shit on May 23th. Some woman brought her dog to pose (to promote her crappy children's book) messed up the whole night.

May 30th

June 13th. i don't know what happened here. every time Roger comes to pose i do well, but not tonight. there was some bad Juju in the air. The band was shitty and people left early. I sat out for one pose becasue i just did not want to waste the paper:

and the 15th, when things started to get better:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey now, two updates in a day, good to see! "Disasterous" is is way too harsh a word for that oil, there's a lot of fun stuff going on. Happy accidents don't just happen on their own. That fountain is the shit, and the tree is pretty killer too. The figures from the 15th are killer, the faces all really pop. Always an inspiration, man!

chaosrocks is offline Environment of the Week Leader Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy accident bleh......I work in oils a lot and you just gottta work through the "Ugly" if you quit now it'll always be ugly. My solution to the plein air thing, is I work on unprimed paper, with only five colors out of a sweet little pochade box that a friend in carmel made for me. no linsead only synthetic turps,, but not the organic stuff..too slimy.
    three brushes and work small. Turner did a whole series of fantastic sunsets that are only 5 by 7
    YOu r water colors are sweet. they have a lot of the wonderful fluid quality you can get with water colour without the tight overworkedness that I am so prone to. My greatest respect anyone who can get those recalcitrant things to behave....
    chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some nice work again. glad your picking things up.
    i guess you know these but thought i post a link anyway

charles reid1
    charles reid2

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hmmmmmmm.... great water colour amish. My fav has to be
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060523c.jpg, the red really gives it a good kick.

oo this one is great too..
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060530h.jpg
    it's lot more defined and detailed. her face is nicely excuted.

beautiful stuff.... hope you are doing well mate! cheers, Min

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man those watercolors are lookin really nice

-reau-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andy P - thanks dude. looking at it now there a some things i like about it. alls i know is i tend to rush with things and you really have to take things easy with oils. Next time i go out i'm bringing a six pack with me to calm my nerves.

chaosrocks - the watecolors are not overworked becasue there is a time limit for the models. and that's probably a good thing becasue i'm really good at fucking things up by overworking them. Oils are still a challenge for me.

tensai - thanks again for the links. I look at the Reid's prices and it helps me fool myself into thinking that i can make a living off of this fine art crap too.

Min - things are chugging along. Just waiting for you to grace us with another update in the mean time.

REAU - thanks dude, mucho respect for you.

so here's another SoI update. There so session next week due to 4th of July. but hopefully i'll finish off my LMS2 in it's place:

I think i'm starting to get a feel for values, and i'm paying more attention to how i lead the viewer's eye. I guess some of the choises in these last ones are more intentionally made than usual. (all thanks to Jeff Fisher)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. Yes, my Russian brother. I love your figures, you seem to indicate just enough of what is important to get the action across. Brings a tear to my eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishCommy
    I think i'm starting to get a feel for values...
    Word man - I think so too. Also - I should mention that the SOI doesn't have the best lighting to learn values. It's fine - it's ok - but probably makes things a little more difficult.
    Nice as always. Are you ready to spend 128 hours with me non stop in San Diego !???

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Arcady, Nice watercolors. its Rich from SoI. I like how you can just lay in color with no prior drawing or outlines with such ease. I'm digging the warm /cool relationships you've got going on with the purples and such. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats to Arkady, who sold his watercolor at Ironworks.

How'd eveything go at Society tonight, BTW?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so now what's up?

Yo i think i may have found the third roommate!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cody - get some sleep you beast. Thanks for the comments.

Scott - you get some sleep. you're gonna need it in Cali.

Rich - thanks for stopping by my sketchbook. and theanks for your help at the SoI.

Nate - so when am i gonna see the caish from the sale . I'll stop by after Cali to check out the new show. Maybe on the day of the Troley.

ok so i got some updates for ya.

SoI 07/11:

and some other stuff i dug up.
    A while back i helped a friend do caricatures of Dogs for a charity event. this was the only sketch that i got to keep:

and some skeches at the Bethesda Fountain from Easter:

and i got myself a small Moleskine. here are a few pages:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as usual Arkady! That SOI head study is my favorite of the watercolour batch!
    Love the moleskine stuff, your linework is sweet, gives me some ideas on how to further play around with my linework.

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice to see some pen sketches again. figures looking good, as usual.
    i keep on running into to watercolour art, so im dropping another link
    pretty wild environments right here...

tensai

bLok

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... those water colors ARE getting better! It looks like your making more solid forms. I particularly like the Bethesda Fountain.

Plus, nice idea in the thunderdome man. Taking a romantic idea on the theme made me think of it in a new perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates Arkady.
    I don't think I will make it out tomorrow I have to finish that painting. I will see you at the Con though, so bring your thong.

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nik - that model has such a great attitude in her face and her poses. i only wish the pose lasted longer.

tensai - Thanks for the links. This guy has some great Sienkievicz inspired abstrations. very cool to see. only wish the images were bigger.

Bowlin - can't take credit for it. My competitor FlipMcgee posted a pic that sparked the whole idea.

Tiff - 4 more days. I can't wait.

ok so here is the evolution and the sucktitiusion of my LMS2 piece.

as i mentioned above, my idea came to me after Flip posted an image of a guy and girl holding each other as a nuclear mushroom clowd detonates behind them. I medietly thought of the start of "Dead Flag Blues (Intro)" from Godspeed Yoou! Black Emperor - one of my favorite bands. The song itself is really depressing and emotionally charged.

Here is the monologue:

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
    and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
    and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
    and we're on so many drugs
    with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
    and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
    and the billboards are all leering
    and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
    mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
    and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
    all twisted metal stretching upwards
    everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
    these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
    like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
    for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
    and it's full of blood

there was a ton of imagery but i fixated on the guy and girl aspect.

Thumbnails and sketches:

I wanted to do this in Oils because digital seems to take me longer and I end up with boring results.

My first attempt (the heads were too big):

Second attempt (the female figure was too big and too overpowering even though i wanted her more prominent):

then after talking to Poise and Vigostar i settled on a Phil Hale composition which included the full figures.
    I used to paint on top of my sketches to keep their gesture and fluidity so i decided to do the same here. Quicky charcoal on newsprint with some watercolor washes and gesso highlights:

I cut out the legs becasue they did not seem right at the time compositinaly and anatomically:

looking back now they were a lot better than that i pasted down. used matte medium to glue the newsprint to gessoed masonite. the medium activated the charcoal creating a nice mid tone:

After the medium dried i pulled out the figures using gesso and a pallete knife. this creatred nice texture:

Details of gessoed piece:

I strated laying in the oils, mostly the orange haze, but the image got worse and worse (and luckily didn't photograph well) after a few hours i gave up and went digital. and then spent just as long fucking with it. I had the photo of the Gessoed sketch which i used as a starting point for the digital piece. here are the various saved states:

Through out the digi process i tried various natural madia to work out some elements such as the background but got quickly frustrated and went back to the digital.

Watercolor attempt at the background:

I was so frustrated with the piece and the fact that i spent most of sunday "Polishing Turds" i took a break and went over to my sister's to paint on her roof. wanted to do something worthwhile that day. It really helped me get a feel for the background and even helped me come up with a diferent composition which unfortunatly i did not have time for. stupid thing is i was planning to go up there a few weeks before to take some reference shots and do some sketching and i never did. Stupid me. here are a few sketches:

and another sketch i made earlier in the week that helped me with the buildings some:

and the final piece of poo:

but it was a great learning experience. hopefuly i'll get a chanse to aply what i learned in the next round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last one is wonderful - keep it up!

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1