Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 11

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks
    I like your use of green and orange, works really well with your flesh tones and congrats on getting them so good without the linework.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Tobin - that's a blue mixed with a sepia to make a black/gray. photographs wierd.

Went watercoloring in the park on Sunday. This one actually turned out not sucking:

Thanks
    Thats really beautiful. I especially enjoy the back of the statue and the bottom of the platform -- the work in shade is quite nice especially considering the medium!

Deselect
    עקיבא
    http://sixthirteendesign.com

Thanks
    Oh wow, that one is really beautiful! The way youve handled the form on the top statue reminded me of some of Sargent's watercolour fountains!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    i was almost gonna come to NY this may and get drunk at the SoI. but, no money, or not enough.. the big shapes on the last two figures are dope. outside stuff is coming along nice but is still a bit timid compared to the wild nudes you're busting out.. my guess is that will come after you do more and more and you know what you need to draw and what you can go wild on. or at least i think thats whats happening with me - like a mix of taking care and going loose to properly establish a piece but keeping it energetic..

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    hey amish, how you doing? eee nice water colour stuff, love everything from last last update. especially the 3rd and the fourth, superb.. wacky colours. hope you are doing well dude.

Thanks
    Very nice last post. Everything reads very nicely. Your really improving. How long did that park study take you? good work man

Thanks
    Deselect - thanks dude, the secret is not to use black. i got rid of the black as soon as i bought my set. that is a mixture of Sepia Brown and Phthalo Blue (with a hint of Sap Green to unify with the rest of the colors in the piece)

Nik - i guess them Sargent books are helping. Thanks a lot buddy.

tensai - well you gotta give me a heads up when you do finally make it out here. you're dead on about the environment stuff. I've been drawing the figure for almost a decade now so it's a safe bet that i have a vocabulary whhen it comes to experiment. the environments are still new to me. i still have a ways to go with them.

Min - thanks buddy. all is good on my end. hope its the same for you.

Darktwin - thanks. It took about 30-45 mins. but partially becasue there were a lot of Hasidic Jews out in the park on Easter and their damn children kept on bugging me and getting in my way. luckilly, my bladder stopped me before i could fuck it up by overdoing it.

anyways, i had a great week figure drawing. 2 days at SoI and the Pratt Draw-A-Thon combined to 18 hours of figure drawing.

Here are the things from SoI.
    Tuesday:

Thursday:

the stuff from the Marathon and from the Park coming soon

Thanks
    wow mang - your SoI shit is evolving. The forms look a lot more, uh, voluminous (is that a word?) Point is, they look even more three dimensional, which I know is a bitch with watercolor.

Maybe I oughtta go back there....or maybe I should save my seven dollars and get three loafs of bread...

Thanks
    Nate - ya i know you must conserve the green. I'll do my best to score another ticket to the blue sky lecture for you. I was supposed to be working the door that night but i had to switch with Nels.

anyway's i still have a ton of watercolors to photograph and edit so i can post them on here. I really need an intern.
    Here's a quicky doodle from work that i slapped some PS action on:

Thanks
    I'll be your intern arkady......
    ....but you have to pay me...
    alot....

anyways I don't think I'm gonna see you or anyone else before I go home for the summer on saturday. I've had a hectic last couple of weeks, wish I could of gotten out more to sketch with you guys. I'll be in the city at least once or twice during the summer though, syracuse is too boring to stay put in for 4 months .

Thanks
    Arkady a lot of these have such beautiful emotion. I absolutly love all the girls with dark hair.
    man I'm up late! oy!! I'm sorry I have been such a loner lately. I hope we can hang soon.
    -T

TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    hello arkady my fellow russian, im actually ashamed to say that today is the first time i looked through this thread. i know this is going to sound redundant from what was said before but these really are all absolutly wonderful works.. one thing that im not ashamed to say is that ever since meeting you i have loosened up on my work process..
    all these watercolors are spectacular the look the movement flow the colors expecially pull me in.. i really like you last watercolor from the park im disappointed i havent seen you work to get the end result.. damn sva. anyways take care

Thanks
    holy hell - what happened to me? it's been almost a month since i updated.

Cam - I can only pay with watercolors. hope you spend every boring moment in Syracuse painting.

Tiff - thankee. now it's my turn to be the loner. the sketchgroup is going down the shitter.

Eli - not sure what you're up to this summer, but i'm gonna try to make it out to the park on the nice days. and when it gets hot, i'm gonna try to get a permit from the Met to do Master copies. you interested?

so i have a month's + worth of watercolors to unleash on you. Here are the ones from the Pratt Draw-a-thon:

Thanks
    Pure Candy! Thanks for the update, lovely watercolours, just what i needed to get me chugging along with mine!

this + this =

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Nice stuff as always bro. If I had to crit something it would be 2 things:
    values are spotty - You've mentioned this being a toughie...
    It's kinda hard to realy get control over values in such short poses, but check out Tieplo's ink washes.Brilliant stuff. I think if you really started to understand value it would make your stuff alot stronger.
    Secondly - I realize these are being done kinda fast...But I think the faces get kinda wonky sometimes. Perhaps one life session just concentrate on heads the whole time...the planes, proportions..all that yummy stuff.
    Just food for thought...these are always nice to look at

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Sweet & Yummy watercolours
    MORE PLEASE

Thanks
    Hello, Arcady! . So many beautiful paintings, impossible not to stop and talk about them with you. You know your figures started to look more laconic and stricter. You use less brushstrokes and saying a lot with the ones you use. I think you are getting very deep in controlling your art language, so to speak. I really think so. You did have paintings like this, effective but not "chatty" before. I remember the image of the girl in boots with her legs across the page, it was actually very short and direct statement, but, man, it was effective on brains and heart. But the most striking impression from your watercolors and oil too, btw, was enjoying the colors and forms and all richness of life. Those kinds of feelings. Phantasmagoric, carnival like.
    So now it looks quieter, stricter, forms are more defined. You still have a lot of life celebrating in you art though, and that's good thing if you are in doubt. Your art is super open.

Love all the landscapes, composition and especially the gentle spring colors.
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Sk...ntainWC-sm.jpg is beautiful, great catch of warm sunny, delightful day in this, Overall very energetic and even victorious feeling, you know in everything, from colors to dizzy feeling of height. Texture of heavy metal is great, very enjoyable.

I adore this quality of yours seeing so much with your eyes and pushing it in your art to share it, to let your viewers see and feel the same. And I feel it, the smooth streaming lines of bronze stature, and heaviness, and bright light and pride and confidence in the figure of angel. Wonderful.

My favorite in model watercolors:
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-04sm.jpg I like to recognise the figure in few brushstrokes
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-05sm.jpg

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-08sm.jpg Composition and pose are very nice
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-09sm.jpg
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-12sm.jpg Composition is great, wish you work more on it adding some tricks to hold the attention longer, like lines, textures of hair, done with different medium.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-18sm.jpg This one is awesome. real pleasure to look at. especially like this fresh apricot shade. And my beloved foreshortening is here and leg is painted so beautifully. Very energetic and tasteful. It is actually like still life, like with fruit and poultry, you know, very sensual, delight for taste buds . no wonder people write sweet and yummy in comments .
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060418c.jpg flesh is painted very effectively, great impact.
    As a note, I think the compositions are not always exciting and if it will be my paintings I would work more after they are dry with different medium, searching for bigger impact and to show the form more. I do appreciate the no line in your art too, I just like the variety in expressing the thought even more.
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; May 22nd, 2006 at 08:53 AM.

Thanks
    looks like you getting better with the layering colours, nice work

Thanks
    I just got my fix. You got mutant watercolor power?

Jason

All minds one, no question.
    -Masta Killa

Thanks
    woot, replies.

Nik - it's funny what some people like. I don't see the candy. but to each his own I guess.
    So i've been getting some interest in the watercolors lately, and i know i promissed you some, so not to screw you out of anything in particular that you wanted, let's try this one more time. make a list of which ones you like best and i'll go digging for them in my pile of watercolors. I really want one of them ink self portraits of yours. and i'll let you know exactly the pieces i want from your sketchbook thread.

Scott - values and me we just don't get along. I have to say that it has to be one of the hardest things for me to get the hang of. i'm still learning. As far as the wonkiness, all the ones that turn out are as much a suprize to me as they are to anyone else. i'm still not to sure what i'm doing there. and sometimes i have really shitty days. like last Tuesday. totally freaked me out when i couldn't make anything work right. thought i lost my skillz there for a bit. I've noticed lately that one of my biggest problems is keeping things sinple and just at their essentials. knowing when to stop doesnt hut either.

shyamshriram - thankee

Sveta - when i do get my lazy ass around toputting together a book of these, i should get you to write the intro to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sve
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/Pr...t2006-18sm.jpg This one is awesome. real pleasure to look at. especially like this fresh apricot shade. And my beloved foreshortening is here and leg is painted so beautifully. Very energetic and tasteful. It is actually like still life, like with fruit and poultry, you know, very sensual, delight for taste buds . no wonder people write sweet and yummy in comments .
    i really like this one too. it's a shame it was cut short. It was the last pose of the night, done around 6:00 AM at the tail end of my 24 hours with no sleep. I'm amazed it turned out the way it did. I didn't plan it at the time but i really like the composition and the way the cloth leads your eye into the picture.

Tobin - luckily, i see improvement from time to time too. thanks.

MurderClaus - thanks

ok so here goes. uber update of watercolors from the SoI:

Thanks
    Part 2

these are from my nervous breakdown day - nothing seemed to work. everything i put down seemed to suck as at the time. now they suck slightly less

and my second wind from the third thursday of awesometude:

Thanks
    http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060516l.jpg

Her boob seriously, seriously came out real well.

We gotta organize the whole SoI Thing sometime, I need some specs on like, how long I will be there, where to meet, etc.

I'm lookin' forward to it almost as much as the workshop!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    KILLER STUFF !!!

i'm in total awe!

cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Aways a joy!

Thanks
    beautiful stuff Amish.

Thanks
    Well it all looks like candy to me. Your colours and minimal strokes get me all giddy, seeing all the stuff i have no hope in achieving any time soon.
    Fired you out an email, thanks.

Love the work more with each update, your colours are getting more vibrant and energetic, less subdued like they were in the beginning of the sb (which had a lot of great qualities on itself as well)
    Like where you're going with slowly getting rid of the pencil line, you're getting more depth in the work. The way you've been layering colour more is also quite beautiful.
    Watch some of the proportions though, in the first update post you're getting some small heads (or really tall models).
    What is the really bright light blue you've been using more recently (example)? Pure cerulian? Youve been making real good use of it.
    Love the hair in this one. That, along with the blue on the breast and face make it really vibrant. Yummy.

I dont think Ive seen the question before, but how long are these poses usually? You seem to be using few strokes, but everything seems well thought out, so I'd assume you spend quite a bit of time observing the model and working with the palette.
    That batch was awesomitude indeed. Thanks!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    gulp... kick ass watercolors.. you're one of my idols!

Thanks
    spectacular.. every one of them.. now i just wanna do watercolors like you lol. light delicate realistic and colorful... your making me want to start picking up the ol' watercolors and take a break from the guaches. now if you painted flowers like that just think of all the old ladies you could be haggling for 500$ sessions to paint photo realistic flowers. i smell a monkey scheme in the making.
    yeah but in necase. i wanna see more these are all fuckin great. girl w/ the blue looks fucking hot. she almost looks like a goth girl lol. ;p

Thanks
    Great stuff...I especially like the last 3 posted (probably longer poses)
    I hope I didn't seem harsh on the values crit...I just think it is totally within your grasp. Anyone who can evaluate shapes as well as you do, can definitely take hold of values. The high chroma of your watercolors may also make it kind of tricky to evaluate the correct values. IE: A high chromatic red will seem way lighter in value than it really is. But I was really just trying to look at your work with a critical eye. It's hard to do--with this last post I just sat back and enjoyed all this. Eli is right - these just have this wonderful airy feeling about them...I'm not sure a more technical advancement would enhance these that much...perhaps for your other work. But the life-studies are rockn. Cheers mate!

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1