Sketchbook: AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scott, Min - thanks a lot guys.

so i finally remembered to bring my watercolors out to the park for lunch today. didn't have a whole lot of time to do these. and jsut when i was getting into it it was time to go. plus some TV crew showed up to interview some dude in the park or film a movie or something so i got out of there before the tourists crowded like pigeons to bread.

here are the results. strted with the landscape and got bored quick, but then this malard decided to come to my aid and pose for a few minutes for me:

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should bring the watercolours more often, turned out great! The malard especially.
    This one from the previous update is damn awesome! Love the warms in the shadows!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you had lunch with a goose? That's cool I guess
    (nice studies btw)

*:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always do like your watercolors, though I always perfer the really simple ones, but the slightly more complex ones are very fun to navigate. Always a source of inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nikola - thanks buddy. that particular piece you like was such a great pose but i messed up the proportions and made her have some extra spine. go me.

Scott - Geese make great lunch companions.

Pix - if you have luck navigating the complex ones please draw me a map, becasue i'm clueless.

Speaking of clueless, check out this monstrocity from the park. Spent most of my time fixing mistakes. Cam and I tag teamed on this. Sadly, unlike last time when Cam fixed all my mistakes, he lost his magic. I shake my fist at you Cameron, for not making me look good!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The light hitting the shoulder and wing is my favorite area in that painting, form gets a bit lost around the legs and Im not too fond of the background, something simpler/less acidic in colour would shift the focus back to the statue. Although maybe changing the background colour would alter the colours of the statue too much. Maybe just simplify/flatten the background more.

By the way, any chance of getting a close up of the bust area? Brushstrokes are damn tasty

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    eh, I was having a bad artistic day, all my sketches turned out like shit too. Plus there was no pressure to perform this time, other then the couple hundred people behind us watching. oh well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That angell has so much movement.. and the colors just look amazing. Can't help but stare at the pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah. that's last painting is very beautiful. such an interesting combination of heavy bronze and the whole energetic, forward streaming figure. I think you caught this trapped in the metal energy, very expressive. Very victorious feeling from your painting.
    I wish you could do the same stature with foreshortening, from the beneath look. I think it will have this effect huge powerful angel's wings covering sky above viewer head, like protecting him. Would add a lot of emotion. I think the stature was thought out like this, an angel-protector, a fighting angel.
    And I have to say your spotty style of painting remind me Michael Vrubel, one of my favorite artist. I already mentioned him yesterday in the other thread but for different reasons, for the the same mood. Your art reminds me his manner to paint.

http://www.abcgallery.com/V/vrubel/vrubel36.html
    http://www.abcgallery.com/V/vrubel/vrubel2.html
    http://www.abcgallery.com/V/vrubel/vrubel35.html

That's the whole page of him, He got some delicate watercolors too. they delicate, sharp and exotic in the same time.
    http://www.abcgallery.com/V/vrubel/vrubel.html
    Well, hope I got you interested enough to look with my advertising.
    See you
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; April 5th, 2006 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nikola - i worked on the legs as long as i did on the rst of the figure. i wiped that area off a million times. and just when i started figuring out what to do with them the light drastically changed. I think Angel is convincing me to go back to this in a week or two. we'll see what i can do.

Cam - at least you did the hardest part - finding all the forms and proportions

AngryScientist - bah - its a muddy mess. i don't see what's so amazing about it. thanks for the ego boost, though

Sveta - thanks a lot for your mini novelas. what you said about the "angel-protector" got the cogs in my head turning. i may turn what you said into an illustration. Bolshoyo Spacibo

quicky sketch before bed. did this on gesso primed masonite. that's why the watercolor is not dry yet.

detail:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I like that one.. I am writing that one in my "things to steal from amish" list. hehehe, loose and stylish. I wish there was a bit more red it there though. Really enjoying your work!! post more!! cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those watercolors are so inspiring. I really need to start watercoloring. Infact I think i'll go buy some tomorrow. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice way of using colours in those water color drawings. I like them . Keep it up!!

Check put my schetchbook if you please
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61551

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Min - gonna be a little pricy to send a 24" square piece of wood to Australia, but i'm sure we can work something out.

Skeiff - show me the results when you get them.

T-Raktor - thanks man, will do.

so i got some Sargent watercolor books and just a little overview of them had a really good effect on me. Here's a sketch i did on my lunch hour:

also had a great night at the SoI. Will post those tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luscious work there. I have no idea why I'm still up but it's sketchbooks like yours that continue to keep me from my pillow. zzzzz.

"The progress of learning is from indefinite to definite, not from sensation to perception. We do not learn to have percepts but to differentiate them."
    J.J Gibson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that first painting in your last post is your best yet!

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sleeperservice - i have the same exact problem. DAMN YOU CA!!!!

Rob - thanks man. see you later this week.

Had a great night at the Society last night. really like a good portion of these sketches. And i didn't use lines this time. That Sargent book is having a good effect on me

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    deadly dont wforhget to use the negative dspace for the "missing"lines .... especiallly on the lowr right of the torso on thew third... but deadly whish something like the soi was nerar me... maybe i'llset up me own... c i8m cetasinly drunk emnough

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like where youve been going with faces and heads recently, gotta real strong form with minimal brushstrokes!
    Just watchin and learning as you go along
    Noticed youve been using a lot more of the dullish greens, at least from where im standing, especially in the backgrounds, been workin well for you!

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! nice to see all the watercolors you have going here.. I have a few crits.. First one has to be all the white.. how can you think of value for an overall composition with so much white in it?! It kills any sense of atmosphere and it makes the highlights on your figures that you work so hard to leave white look dull! I think you also overemphasize the coolness of the shadows a bit too much, It makes your figures non-human... especially when you juxtapoz it with pure skin tones next to it... It doesn't do justice to the relativity of color and how grey can be a cool color when surrounded by warm colors... and grey can be warm when surrounded by cool. Think of greys and neutrals as an ally in your fight for form and color. I know these are quick but I really do think you could get a better sense of atmosphere and overall value. You do have a pretty good handle on the figure, sorry if I am a bit ridiculous... Keep on truckin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tobin - que?

Nikola - probably the blues mixing with the yellows. that and the one green i don't use got all melty and fused to mixing tray. i really need to clean my set.

Mr.Blonde - keep the crits coming. color is still a bitch for me. and value, WTF. i still don't fully get it. SCAD did bad with me. who are you taking that taught you all that? i swear i missed out on the good years of SCAD.

so as we get closer to Art Out Loud 2 this weekend here in NYC, i've been inspired to do more sketching and push myself more than i have been. Hence the inclusion of portable watercolor to my daily lunchhour sketching.
    here are two from today:

AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

oh and Donald Trump walked right past me at lunch today (sadly before i had the watercolors out)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin
    deadly dont wforhget to use the negative dspace for the "missing"lines .... especiallly on the lowr right of the torso on thew third... but deadly whish something like the soi was nerar me... maybe i'llset up me own... c i8m cetasinly drunk emnough
    Quote Originally Posted by AmishCommy
    Tobin - que?

Sorry I dont remember that.... at all... I really like the ones without pencils as I've said before, but what might look real nice on the pencil ones is if you ink the pencils after the watercolours have dried.. Because that first sketch of the girl in ^ that post works well with the lines, just the grey pencil colour lets it down abit, just a suggestion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Arkady, I think you worry too much. You are doing great with your watercolors. Yeah, the searching on paper is very obvious, but in the same time on each page you showed, human features: faces, hips, breasts, shoulders reappear in front of me, and it is a bit eerie to look and feel how truthful there are, how I totally believe in this illusions that it was a warm body 24 hours standing before this paper, how touching and lovely to recognise it suddenly on paper. You pick up the individual features of these people, very precisely, strikingly. So keep on doing because I can tell you see it in your mind very sharply and it's just matter of time when you will catch this on paper. I'm sure you will be able to transfer what you have in your mind precisely, without distortion because of the not total control of the medium. I see it in every page that you are collecting the knowledge and ability to express yourself better every time.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060404c.jpg The silhouette and the face of this girl are very lifelike. I can tell her age, personality, her current mood, not gonna though . Like that you painted two people together. Makes it noisier and again, puts me in the room where all this is happening.

http://www.arkadyroytman.com/drop/So...oI-060404e.jpg
    Again her face and fore shortening are great. I like it. I think you are kind of not definite about the manner you painted the girl. It looks sharp and rough, as some of Paul Gauguin nude paintings and in the same time her bottom and legs have the gentlest hues. I'm not sure that all these colors will exist together in one time in one room. But in the same time the colors attract me, sort of teasing me, challenged me in a good sense, I would even say irritate me, hope you forgive me for this expression.
    If I were you I wouldn't have enough patience and for sure tried to finish this painting with other media, like pencils , dry watercolors technique, maybe even markers. But I'm sure that's not what you have in mind. You want spontaneity, probably.
    Well, zero information in my post, just pure nonsense.
    See you,
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hurray for portable watercolours! I wanna see more of this alongside the usual stuff, too!

I think it was you who got me hooked on Indian Red in my pallete. Thanks for that

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tobin - i'm kinda trying to get away from thinking in line. it's kinda a detriment when you're painting. those last ones, however, the lines were added after the watercolor.

Sveta - when i draw from life i kinda put the pencil to the paper and try to keep up with my eye. painting, however, needs to be more deliberate. I'm thinking more about what i do instead of diving in head first. Happy that it shows.

Nikola - Indian Red is such a great color. a redder version of Burnt Sienna and i feel it's more versatile. check out what i found last night. I'm totally gonna build my own version of this.

Went out to the park for lunch and tried to do a landscape. I'm not TOO disapointed with it. These are 5x7's and i'm not used to painting that small:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am taking the concept art school of art... with a minor in SCAD. I learn a lot of what I know by reading crits/giving crits/getting crits here on CA... SCAD just gives me the traditional theory behind some of the crits, so that it's easier to think about them in a useful way. I learned a lot in drawing I for example... I don't know why. I also learned a lot through the gnomon dvds they have here. There is a lot to learn at scad, you just need to be able to go out and find it.. it doesn't come to you. anyway, keep on truckin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr.Blonde - well from what i hear SCAD has improved a lot since i gradumakated. Just had a chance to talk to Don Rogers (illustration Prof) about some of the changes in that department. Keep up your hard work, dude. You are leaps and bounds ahead of where i was at your point at SCAD. Use every resourse you can get your hands on.

had a great weekend hanging with CAers and Professionals like Jon Foster, Dan Dossantos, Greg Manchess, Adam Rex, and Irene Gallo. Thank you all for a good time. here's some crap i did before the weekend:

Pen and Coffee sketches from work:
    AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings) AmishCommy's SB - update: 05/22 (Progress Report on various paintings)

Watercolor from the atrium at the Dahesh Museum:

The park, today:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that looks like a giant 2 faced humanoid buffalo in the last one. I very much enjoy your recent pen sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kresh - "a giant 2 faced humanoid buffalo" que? this is why i'll never be a concept artist. I have no imagination what so ever.

wee more watercolors from the pond in Central Park. All sorts of BS drama this week getting in the way of rocking on these. I finally finished up my taxes. hopefully i'll get some rest this weekend. next week gonna rock 18 hours of figure drawing.

god this one sucks. I blame it on the asshole next to me painting a really shitty Kinkaid wannabe (and this dick was all cocky last summer telling Jin and Myself that he is better than us) and the fucking abnoxious white trash tourist yelling at her pansy ass fratboy behemoth of a son climing the rocks behind me. (although she was suprizingly thin for having a freaking litter of white trash children with her)

SoI goodies coming soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1